Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby cthscr » 28 Oct 2022, 18:02

pof wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 17:17 +bug: Apollo relic doesnt give +20 luck and -30 endurance as in description
It does.
Caligula Wellington wrote: MM7 humans and dwarves lack portraits in the community branch.
Comm had very limited support since 2021 which was terminated after pack 2022-02-15.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 28 Oct 2022, 19:11

Xfing wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 21:46 Friendly quarterly reminder that the White Potion of Protection from Magic casts the spell on the entire party even when one person drinks it. I would therefore once again like to propose to change this potion to the only other spell effect I could think of that can affect a single character - Pain Reflection. It feels like a break in immersion and suspension of disbelief that a potion can affect the entire party, since all potions have only ever affected the drinker. It's kinda like the "Water Breathing" effect is separate for the potion, instead of casting the Water Walk spell - which once again, affects the entire party. So there could be an alternative like this, but it would require coding in a separate, equivalent effect for Protection from Magic, but one only affecting the drinker.
You haven't thought it fully. Potion provides buff of skill GM 10. That makes Cleric/Druid not your only option of getting protection from Death/Eradication. And you can't easily add brand new player-scope SpellBuffs - there's no space for them. Read Scripts/Core/ConstAndBits.lua for a list (const.PlayerBuff).

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 28 Oct 2022, 20:03

raekuul wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 20:42 I would argue against forcibly downgrading 'too high' masteries on NPC promotions, mostly on the grounds that "the engine does not actually care about illegal mastery levels." Plus if we're going to downgrade "too high" masteries in-engine it might be better to lower the masteries of the NPC in their initial recruit state (instead of on-promotion) so that they don't have illegal mastery ratings to begin with.
The [Revamp-specific] issue is "race maturity isn't set properly for non player-created characters". Logical solution: set it properly at new game start and mercenary generation. Whether it race maturity based on racial skill mastery or racial skill mastery based on race maturity - a chicken and an egg dilemma, either option is okay.
raekuul wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 20:42 There shouldn't be any race progression where Tier 1 has lower mastery caps than Tier 0, and similarly there shouldn't by any class progression with similar problems
Too late, since at least 2019 (I don't have access to earlier code) there are (in Base Merge). Wizard has Repair E, Lich has Repair None. And this promotion was bugged for a long time (calculating skillpoints for Repair, zeroing Chain).
raekuul wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 20:42 - and logically it should not be possible for a Master of a skill to suddenly stop being a Master at that skill.
That's quite easy btw - specialization. Being M/M or GM/E is quite a viable option.
raekuul wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 20:42 I would suggest reordering the skill progressions so that later tiers do not have lower limits than earlier ones (I can see this being "an issue" for the Sorceror-To-Lich promotion paths since you could plausibly learn Light Magic before committing to Team Dark, but in theory we can add a discrete Respec method and just have the relevant promoters say "you cannot turn to Lichdom until you abandon the Path of Light")
I suppose you didn't get it. Class promotion, race promotion, class conversion, race conversion (three are present even in Base Merge) - they all are special cases of conversion from (Class1,Race1,Maturity1) to (Class2,Race2,Maturity2). Power Lich promotion (matches Lich promotion in Base) has all of the three changed at once. While it is the only such promotion nowadays, we can't expect it to be the only one forever.
Now, there is race VampireDarkElf and there could be conversion from DarkElf to it (there were requests for such a thing). To somehow "balance" things, VampireDarkElf couldn't reach GM in DarkElfAbility. If you let character to keep GM after conversion, your "balance" efforts have value of 0. You can suggest me better way of achieving "all classes are viable and worthy, all races are viable and worthy" goal though.
raekuul wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 20:42 (At this point we're getting deep into "let's completely reimplement MM7 inside of MM8" territory but since one of MMMerge's goals was to port Enroth and Antagarich to the MM8 engine it's kind of a moot point)
Sense of this sentence (its first part) missed me.
raekuul wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 20:42 As for ranks there's no hard-and-fast law saying you can't put ten ranks into a skill that can't be grandmastered (the last I checked no items have a IdRepSt greater than 30 so GM's perk probably just skips the calculation; as long as a toon can reach M10 they're "as good as" a knight in terms of repairing stuff) so there's really no need to reduce rank/refund skill points on promotion (much as I appreciate the option to respec NPCs, it should be at the player's discretion and as a consequence of a specific action that says "this will refund skill points" and not as a consequence of downgrading an NPC to fit the expanded promotion tiers).
That's "being able to not waste skillpoints over max mastery" vs. "not being able to not waste skillpoints over max mastery" after max mastery has been changed. I think former is better. Don't forget there are things like ArchMage to MasterWizard conversion (and vice versa), etc.
PS. Usage of word "NPC" in this text is completely wrong - these characters are PC by definition. Wizardry gave us RPC if you want to separate them from player-created characters.

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 28 Oct 2022, 22:07

cthscr wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 17:49
Line 242 of Scripts/Structs/CharacterOutfits.lua should be changed from

Code: Select all

and Game.Races[Portrait.Race].Family ~= const.RaceKind.Vampire then
to

and Game.Races[Portrait.Race].Family ~= const.RaceFamily.Vampire then
Thank you. That worked like a charm. :)
I even made a backup of the edited script, just in case I would need it again.

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 29 Oct 2022, 08:55

Are the different branch extensions essential? They seem to do a lot of changes on classes, like allowing MasterArcher3, human dragons and renaming Rangers to Deerslayers in the character creation. Should I just stick with the main merge if I want a "kind of vanilla" experience? Or will I miss out on things like class promotions or important fixes?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Oct 2022, 18:19

Caligula Wellington wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 08:55 Are the different branch extensions essential? They seem to do a lot of changes on classes, like allowing MasterArcher3, human dragons and renaming Rangers to Deerslayers in the character creation.
Rule: "Don't mix files from different branches." You're trying to use wrong table.
Should I just stick with the main merge if I want a "kind of vanilla" experience? Or will I miss out on things like class promotions or important fixes?
Neither of branches is "a kind of vanilla" but Revamp doesn't care about being close to vanilla. So probably Base. (Ironically in a few aspects Revamp is closer to vanilla than Base.)

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 29 Oct 2022, 21:50

And which is which? I found Master, Community and Rodil's. Does base means just the base merge? There's still the issue with the rouge lua.

What I meant with "close to vanilla" is something that doesn't do a lot of renaming of classes. Like Deerslayer, instead of Ranger. I somehow ended up with a Master Archer with Cleric skills. So I guess it was because I attempted to reinstall the base merge and then trying another branch.

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 31 Oct 2022, 13:44

Thank you so much for your help and patience. It's all fixed now. I picked the Master branch, and then the Extended version from it's extras. It works wonderful.

I have previously experimented with editing skills for classes. If I want to rename a class (Dark Elf to Bard etc), how would I do that? Is it by renaming it in every single document? Or is there a specific document for alternative names? Skills etc are things that I have already figured out earlier, so naming is all that's left to learn.

clement
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby clement » 02 Nov 2022, 10:50

Hello !

Thank a lot for this mod, this is a great, great job...

I'm French and I'm disturbed by the translation : some mistakes, but also some missing.
I see the TXT files, but some content is not on this files (for example, skills names and descriptions, some dialogs in French on vanilla version, etc.). Is it possible to see this content to translate it ?

I'm ok to translate and share files here, but I don't know how to. If someone can help me...

Thank you !

Sou11ess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sou11ess » 03 Nov 2022, 15:24

So i have this thing pop up when i load my save. Any idea?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...mes\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\NPCMercenaries.lua:542: array index (53) out of bounds [0, 52]

stack traceback:
: in function 'error'
...OG Galaxy\Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1426: in function '__index'
...mes\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\NPCMercenaries.lua:542: in function 'v'
...laxy\Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:101: in function <...laxy\Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:96>

arguments of '__index':
t = (table: 0x080358d0)
a = 53
v = nil

local variables of '__index':
aorig = 53
a1 = 53
n = 53

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
u4 = (table: 0x06752498)
GetPtr = (function: 0x067c4210)
obj = (table: 0x06caff70)
o = 66720548
assertnum = (function: 0x06776800)
error = (function: 0x06724160)
type = (function: builtin#3)
SetLen = nil
low = 0
GetLen = (function: 0x06cf9c70)
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
size = 4
count = 53
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
beyondLen = nil
f = (function: 0x06816d78)
format = (function: builtin#91)
sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
tostring = (function: builtin#18)
tostring2 = (function: 0x06776848)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [/quote]

Pitchie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pitchie » 03 Nov 2022, 22:53

Hi there friends!

I'm a big fan of MM6, 7 and 8. Found this mod recently and immediately fell in love. But I got stuck.
Sometimes when I get into combat enemies turn never ends. I mean they are not moving, not attacking me, nothing happens. I can't exit turn based mode and just stuck. Can anyone help?

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 04 Nov 2022, 13:56

Hello, my friends.
Inadvertently, I pressed the space on the witch's body on Dagger Wound, it was disappeared, this caused my quest of promoting to Necromancer can't be completed. Autosave has also overwritten now, is there any way to let the witch's body come out again or how to finished promotion quest in this case?

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 05 Nov 2022, 10:17

Hey, I see there's a new version called "Revamp". What are the main differences between that and the community branch? Can I see it somewhere?

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 05 Nov 2022, 14:59

https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... p/Features, though it probably doesn't list all features but most of them.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 05 Nov 2022, 16:47

toadking wrote: 04 Nov 2022, 13:56 Inadvertently, I pressed the space on the witch's body on Dagger Wound, it was disappeared, this caused my quest of promoting to Necromancer can't be completed. Autosave has also overwritten now, is there any way to let the witch's body come out again or how to finished promotion quest in this case?
Ctrl+F1

Party.QBits[297]=false
Ctrl+Enter
(There was a protection from picking a corpse earlier but events.PickCorpse has changed its parameter name from t.AllowDefault to t.Allow in newer MMExtension. So the protection was in need to be fixed - done.)
Pitchie wrote: Sometimes when I get into combat enemies turn never ends. I mean they are not moving, not attacking me, nothing happens. I can't exit turn based mode and just stuck. Can anyone help?
Disable "Improved pathfinding" in Menu-Controls-Extra Settings
clement wrote: I'm French and I'm disturbed by the translation : some mistakes, but also some missing.
I see the TXT files, but some content is not on this files (for example, skills names and descriptions, some dialogs in French on vanilla version, etc.) - use GrayFace's MMArchive to get them. Is it possible to see this content to translate it ?

I'm ok to translate and share files here, but I don't know how to. If someone can help me...
Files are either in Data/mmmerge.T.lod (if you're using Base Merge) or in Data/revamp.T.lod also (if you're using Revamp) - use GrayFace's MMArchive to get them. Note that (text) files in DataFiles has higher priority.
Caligula Wellington wrote: I have previously experimented with editing skills for classes. If I want to rename a class (Dark Elf to Bard etc), how would I do that? Is it by renaming it in every single document? Or is there a specific document for alternative names? Skills etc are things that I have already figured out earlier, so naming is all that's left to learn.
Classes names are in class.txt which is either in Data/mmmerge.T.lod, Data/revamp.T.lod or DataFiles directory. I would strongly recommend not to rename const.Class.* entries.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 06 Nov 2022, 08:39

cthscr wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 16:47
toadking wrote: 04 Nov 2022, 13:56 Inadvertently, I pressed the space on the witch's body on Dagger Wound, it was disappeared, this caused my quest of promoting to Necromancer can't be completed. Autosave has also overwritten now, is there any way to let the witch's body come out again or how to finished promotion quest in this case?
Ctrl+F1

Party.QBits[297]=false
Ctrl+Enter
(There was a protection from picking a corpse earlier but events.PickCorpse has changed its parameter name from t.AllowDefault to t.Allow in newer MMExtension. So the protection was in need to be fixed - done.)
Great, it works, thank you very much.

Thellur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thellur » 08 Nov 2022, 16:48

Hi guys I recently joined the board. Heard from the mm merge mod and liked it very much. Good job team. I have a question regarding the bow revovery cap. In this merge it is adjusted to 30. Is it possible to adjust it to 5 again like in the Grayface patch? And how can I do it?

Would appreciate an answer very much.

Cheers

Thellur

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 09 Nov 2022, 17:28

Thellur wrote: 08 Nov 2022, 16:48 Hi guys I recently joined the board. Heard from the mm merge mod and liked it very much. Good job team. I have a question regarding the bow revovery cap. In this merge it is adjusted to 30. Is it possible to adjust it to 5 again like in the Grayface patch? And how can I do it?
In Revamp it is set by Merge.Settings.Attack.MinimalRangedAttackDelay from MMMergeSettings.lua and is 5 by default.
In Base you have to patch Scripts/Global/ExtraArtifacts.lua (search for "Attack delay mods").

Thellur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thellur » 11 Nov 2022, 21:07

Thank you! Two bugs I have discovered so far:
You cant drink black speed potions.
Seems that relics/artifacts stack with normal items:
If i got an artifact with +8 disarm and a ring with 25 disarm it stacks to +33.

Hissatsu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hissatsu » 13 Nov 2022, 12:00

I have followed all the instructions, using mmmerge-master version. Everything runs all right, but I have encountered two bugs, one of which is gamebreaking

1) As soon as I edit mm8.ini, even if I don't change the contents (just update the file's modified date), next launch of MM8.exe will append another [settings] to the file, which disables widescreen (by changing "UI" value to blank) and changes another parameter (mouse border something) from -1 to 100. this can be fixed by editing contents of now appended part of the ini file

2) Game hangs up and closes without any error message several seconds after killing one of the monsters.

In patricular, I start the game in MM6, my starting party is 4 Troll Knights and 1 Dwarf Acolyte of Light. I have equipped starting items and learned spells, picked up the horseshoes and then went towards the boat. After killing all five or so goblins, the mages will come over the hills and attack me. After killing most of the mages, the game will freeze and then exit after several seconds pass, presumably this happens upon killing one of the mages, but may happen just upon hitting one. This has repeated a second time (loading the game I saved before approaching the boat), at which point I gave up and went here to write this post.

PS: An update, that may have been my bad.

So, after downloading everything, and applying the merged nomedia and media, I had three files: mmmerge-comm, master and rodilfixes. I wanted the "Revamped" version so I thought I only need to copy the "rodil-fixes" files. But after reading installation instructions, maybe it means I should first copy "master", then delete scripts, and then copy rodil-fixes over it? After doing so, the mages stopped crashing my game, however, I have encountered two new bugs:

1) When casting mages won't animate, they will stay still and then a lightning or fire bolt starts flying. In original game, they would animate their staff attack

2) I decided to restart the game from scratch, and now I can't create troll knights! Actually, I can't create trolls at all unless I choose Jadame as my starting continent. But even if I do, the only class the troll can be is ... Master Druid!?.... with a description "master druid"?...

Surely something is wrong here.

To reiterate, at first, I:
1) Installed GOG MMVIII
2) Set exes compatibility
3) Copied over "merged nomedia"
4) Deleted scripts
5) Copied over "mmmerge-rodril-fixes".

This produced a version where I could select any class for any race in any continent start, but game would crash on mages

Then, I have
6) Copied over "mmerge-master"
7) Deleted scripts
8) Copied over "mmerge-rodril-fixes"

This produced a version without crash on mages, but with bugs listed above

Return to “Might and Magic”