Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Daedros
Scout
Scout

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby Daedros » 02 Aug 2022, 05:21

Eksekk wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 12:15
Daedros wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 06:37 I'm the one that initially suggested that Meditation skill grant a % based SP Regeneration based upon Expertise (Normal, Expert, Master, GM) level. This is because especially with the Bolster mechanic, monsters can gain huge amounts of HP, and require a large amount of spells to take down. This created a huge power gap in terms of damage output between melee chars vs casters, which is why i suggested it. Otherwise, casters would have to constantly be chugging down Divine Power potions to restore their SP.
I also suggested that the Regeneration skill receive the same treatment, being % based upon Expertise level rather than a flat amount. This was implemented as well.
Now it was nerfed. Meditation doesn't scale with SP anymore, it just offers flat mastery + floor(skill / 10) regen per regen tick (2 at Expert 6, 4 at Master 14 etc.) I've removed it in my mod (when choosing hard difficulty), because I felt it may be too strong in the early game, but I've added instead mana regen items stacking, so having 4 items with it you'll have bonus 6 mana regen in addition to items (I honestly didn't check if they stack in vanilla for 4 regen or not, will have to adjust the numbers if not). I might however change it to be % based. Like you said, endgame has incredibly tanky monsters which take a lot of mana to kill, and lloyding every few mobs is so annoying.

Regeneration however retained % restore. At 60 GM (console commands) and 4-5k HP it restored about 20% per regen tick, which is A LOT. Troll knight would be virtually unkillable.
Yeah, now i remember that's why i stopped updating the Merge, despite wanting the multiple spell hotkeys. They changed Meditation's SP Regen from a %. Then shortly afterwards i started seeing tons of posts about game-breaking bugs and CTDs. While the Merge may have gained more features, it seems to have lost a lot of stability since then.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 03 Aug 2022, 14:14

darkdill wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 23:58 Keep running into this one when fighting MM6 Master Swordsmen. Results in a CTD.
As you might have guessed, it's not 100% reproducible (for example, I've cleared Lair twice without crashes). So you didn't provided some crucial detail.
Luckily, there was another report which was reproducible. Commit 5ff7fe43.
moeppel wrote: got an issue where the game stops accepting keyboard inputs or only very delayed at best.
Mouse inputs go through just fine.
Usually it is OS keyboard settings.
TheTate wrote: I know this is blasphemy, but is there an easy way to disable or reduce the difficulty scaler?
In-game Menu - Controls - Extra Settings (on image) - Bolster monsters
Maslyonok wrote:
rampage77t wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 15:29
Maslyonok wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 10:22 Trying to complete new Necromancer promotion quest and I just can't find where that old witch (prophetess ) is buried! What should the grave look like?
On Dagger Wound Island where later in the story there is a pirate post, there is a pointed stone, by clicking on it the witch's body appears and there you can revive her for the mission
Ok, but nothing happens then I clicking on it. I tried it with Necromancer in my team and without. Or should I have Sorcerer to complete the quest?
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 20#p385750

overlord70
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby overlord70 » 07 Aug 2022, 07:09

Hello, I am sorry for this question but I was searching for answer without any luck... I started playing merge from MaM VI and finished story and I wanted to continue with VII but I dont really know how to progress with time travel quest... I need Infused metal rod, but I dont know where to get it.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 09 Aug 2022, 04:40

overlord70 wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 07:09 Hello, I am sorry for this question but I was searching for answer without any luck... I started playing merge from MaM VI and finished story and I wanted to continue with VII but I dont really know how to progress with time travel quest... I need Infused metal rod, but I dont know where to get it.
In the dwarven mines in Alvar.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 09 Aug 2022, 12:32

overlord70 wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 07:09 Hello, I am sorry for this question but I was searching for answer without any luck... I started playing merge from MaM VI and finished story and I wanted to continue with VII but I dont really know how to progress with time travel quest... I need Infused metal rod, but I dont know where to get it.
If you've done the Minotaur Promotion Quest, it's the same dungeon complex as where the Axe of Balthazar is at (it's in the backside with all the Rock Blast traps). Bring Cauri Blackthorne or some other Delf with M/GM Disarm.

If you've not done the Minotaur Promotion Quest, it's in the Dark Dwarf Compound in Alvar (it's just southwest of the Elemental Magic Guild there, it's a cave in the wall face). Be prepared for Boulders, Duergar, and... Rock Blast traps. (Fortunately, they can be resisted with the Earth Resistance spell).

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 11 Aug 2022, 19:54

raekuul wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:32
If you've done the Minotaur Promotion Quest, it's the same dungeon complex as where the Axe of Balthazar is at (it's in the backside with all the Rock Blast traps). Bring Cauri Blackthorne or some other Delf with M/GM Disarm.

If you've not done the Minotaur Promotion Quest, it's in the Dark Dwarf Compound in Alvar (it's just southwest of the Elemental Magic Guild there, it's a cave in the wall face). Be prepared for Boulders, Duergar, and... Rock Blast traps. (Fortunately, they can be resisted with the Earth Resistance spell).
The "Levitate" spell from the Vampire racial allows you to completely avoid triggering the Rock Blast traps (and most other ground-based traps and environmental damage). It's also useful for avoiding the Lava damage when rescuing the Elemental Lord of Water from the Plane Between Planes.

overlord70
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby overlord70 » 12 Aug 2022, 15:08

raekuul wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:32

Thank you but I started with VI and Alvar location is in VIII... how can I get there?

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 13 Aug 2022, 17:25

overlord70 wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 15:08 Thank you but I started with VI and Alvar location is in VIII... how can I get there?
places of high magic (they are somewhere listed in this thread) with a gm watermage and townportal
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 13 Aug 2022, 18:02

justl wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 17:25
overlord70 wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 15:08 Thank you but I started with VI and Alvar location is in VIII... how can I get there?
places of high magic (they are somewhere listed in this thread) with a gm watermage and townportal
Also note that if the surroundings are clear (no monsters in certain area, enemy detector is green) you need to only have M water. GM makes it simply always work, even if you're in the middle of monster swarm. Or just use town portal hirelings, who I'm 90% sure cast the equivalent of GM town portal.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 14 Aug 2022, 01:36

The fountain in New Sorpigal that give mana points, drain it of all the magic and then open the townportal.
David

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 14 Aug 2022, 14:48

Because you started in Enroth, I would strongly advise taking the time to get GM Water Magic first (if only for the conveniences of perfect Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon). Only the Enroth High Magic Spots are free and clear of monsters; all the others have something you need to clear out first:

Erathia: Skeletons (Evenmorn Island) and
Spoiler:
Jadame: Basilisks (Murmurwoods) and
Spoiler:

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 14 Aug 2022, 16:39

raekuul wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 14:48
Spoiler:
Actually no,
Spoiler:

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 15 Aug 2022, 01:27

I believe that would be "a distinction without a difference," as after fulfilling the former requirement the player will not immediately think "hey, let's head back to Dagger Wound Islands real quick" but would instead continue onward and fulfill their other plot-mandated obligations, and the latter requires too much of a time investment to be practical (and would be overwritten when the map resets anyway)

bookwyrmnick
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bookwyrmnick » 18 Aug 2022, 02:56

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how 'finished' would y'all say this merge project is? I've been aware of this for a while, but I was waiting for it to be in a more or less complete state before I picked it up, as I'm not very familiar with modding of any kind and I don't want to try troubleshooting bugs if I mess something up. I read this last page of messages, and it seems like there are still some kinks to work out; I tried to check the Issue Tracker in the first post, but it said the page didn't exist.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 18 Aug 2022, 15:23

bookwyrmnick wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 02:56 Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how 'finished' would y'all say this merge project is? I've been aware of this for a while, but I was waiting for it to be in a more or less complete state before I picked it up, as I'm not very familiar with modding of any kind and I don't want to try troubleshooting bugs if I mess something up. I read this last page of messages, and it seems like there are still some kinks to work out; I tried to check the Issue Tracker in the first post, but it said the page didn't exist.
it was quite finished a while ago in rodrils version (although some smallish bugs popped up) - the community version i dont know about, i only play "vanilla merge"

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 21 Aug 2022, 15:46

bookwyrmnick wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 02:56 Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how 'finished' would y'all say this merge project is? I've been aware of this for a while, but I was waiting for it to be in a more or less complete state before I picked it up, as I'm not very familiar with modding of any kind and I don't want to try troubleshooting bugs if I mess something up. I read this last page of messages, and it seems like there are still some kinks to work out; I tried to check the Issue Tracker in the first post, but it said the page didn't exist.
Merge is based on 3 unfinished projects: MM8, MM8Patch and MMExtension. So it is unfinished. But playable.
raekuul wrote: I believe that would be "a distinction without a difference," as after fulfilling the former requirement the player will not immediately think "hey, let's head back to Dagger Wound Islands real quick" but would instead continue onward and fulfill their other plot-mandated obligations, and the latter requires too much of a time investment to be practical (and would be overwritten when the map resets anyway)
One player has reported this behavior as a bug, that's why I know these details. :) A separate quest was planned but never implemented (see row 5 of quests.txt)
Pol wrote: :summon:
Quoting in Full Editor might need your attention.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 26 Aug 2022, 16:50

Is there a way to travel between the 6/7/8 worlds without Town Portal?

I just downloaded the mod and started playing it as a Solo Knight (I like the challenge), so obviously I can't cast town portal. I'm guessing I'd have to either A) Find and use a Town Portal Scroll, or B) Hire a Gate Master to cast Town Portal for me?

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 26 Aug 2022, 18:38

ShadowLiberal wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 16:50

I just downloaded the mod and started playing it as a Solo Knight (I like the challenge), so obviously I can't cast town portal. I'm guessing I'd have to either A) Find and use a Town Portal Scroll, or B) Hire a Gate Master to cast Town Portal for me?
or C) really really hope you find "Dimension Door scroll" (it looks like a book) as a loot or in best-quality shops (but the chance is very slim). Alternatively, just savescum them, as they cost a lot and are single-use, so I personally think savescumming isn't that inappropriate here.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 26 Aug 2022, 20:18

overlord70 wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 15:08Thank you but I started with VI and Alvar location is in VIII... how can I get there?

Because you're playing as a Solo Knight, your best bet will be to hire a Gate Master (there's a guaranteed one in White Cap, in the stables). Keep in mind that you are required to have the MM8 plot-related NPCs in your party (and that Dyson Leland needs to be not asleep/unconscious/paralyzed/petrified/dead/eradicated in order to trigger the part of his quest that you need him for). You will also need at least expert-level Alchemy since you won't be able to cast Water Walk/Levitation (unless you plan on either eating the drowning damage or completing the entire Slicker Silvertongue plotline before even thinking about Gharik's Forge... or filling your other hireling slot with a Wind Master).

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 26 Aug 2022, 23:24

raekuul wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 20:18
justl wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 17:25places of high magic (they are somewhere listed in this thread) with a gm watermage and townportal

Because you're playing as a Solo Knight, your best bet will be to hire a Gate Master (there's a guaranteed one in White Cap, in the stables). Keep in mind that you are required to have the MM8 plot-related NPCs in your party (and that Dyson Leland needs to be not asleep/unconscious/paralyzed/petrified/dead/eradicated in order to trigger the part of his quest that you need him for). You will also need at least expert-level Alchemy since you won't be able to cast Water Walk/Levitation (unless you plan on either eating the drowning damage or completing the entire Slicker Silvertongue plotline before even thinking about Gharik's Forge... or filling your other hireling slot with a Wind Master).
Well I already found a pair of boots of walking walking in a store, so I have that part covered.

Also I've never actually played all the way through MM8, so I had no idea there was an NPC that was needed for anything.

Edit: So it seems that Gate Masters are bugged. Whenever I try to town portal with them I either get told I can't while enemies are around, or if there aren't any enemies around nothing happens, so I try to town portal again only to be told I need to wait till the next day.

Return to “Might and Magic”