Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby cthscr » 14 Jul 2022, 15:37

TheTate wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 08:42 Verbatim, what I did the last time, was applying the base mod, removing the scripts, then applying the "Merge Revamp latest version", exactly as the instructions said, and that left me with characters 3 and 4 portraitless. I tried reapplying the stuff from the base mod again, and then I had all character portraits back, but I was still missing some item graphics, and could no longer open character 1's inventory.
You need three files:
1) MM678_Merged_2022_06_18_nomedia.zip
2) MM678_Merged_media_2021.zip
3) Either of mmmerge-master.zip or mmmerge-rodril-fixes.zip (but NOT both)

Inaccessible inventory means you have, well, broken inventory. This bug isn't originated by Merge, happens since MM7 at least.
Fix for character in the first slot:

Code: Select all

for k, v in Party[0].Items do
  if v.Number < 0 or v.Number > Game.ItemsTxt.count - 1 then
    print("wrong item", k, v.Number)
    v.Number = 0
  end
end
for k, v in Party[0].Inventory do
  if v > 0 then
    if Party[0].Items[v] == 0 then
      print("ref to absent item", k, v)
      Party[0].Inventory[k] = 0
    end
  elseif v < 0 then
    if Party[0].Inventory[-1 - v] <= 0 then
      print("ref to non-positive", k, v)
    end
  end
end
This bug was addressed in GrayFace's MMPatch 2.5, can't say what exactly was done.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 14 Jul 2022, 18:33

Revamp localization ver 1.0 is done!
I've also uploaded whole game, so u don't need forgetting something during installation and getting the game crashed.
English version also uploded.

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Broken Settings (PaletteSMul, PaletteVMul)?

Unread postby EstelRandir » 14 Jul 2022, 20:29

I am using 2022-06-18 (includes GreyFace 2.5.7). The following code lines in the mm8.ini appear to be broken. In a standalone version of mm7, with GreyFace 2.5.7, I can adjust them by minor amounts and see a difference. In the merge mod, I can adjust them by huge differences and see no difference at all.

PaletteSMul=1.0
; Saturation multiplier for all graphics (1.0 by default).

PaletteVMul=1.1
; Lightness aka Value multiplier for all graphics (1.1 by default, 1.04 for no change).

darkdill
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby darkdill » 16 Jul 2022, 03:24

Is the Bolster system still not changed so that monsters have a cap to how much extra HP they get? I saw something about that in a few posts over a year old now, but was that ever fixed?

I'm referring to the Max HP Boost (%) found in the file Bolster - monsters.txt. Seems to me like it's still not being utilized.

I'm using the Revamp branch, just to note. Maybe it's not implemented there?

Also, where would I go to change spell descriptions? I've adjusted some of the damage values on certain spells and would like that to be reflected by the in-game descriptions.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 16 Jul 2022, 08:11

darkdill wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 03:24 Also, where would I go to change spell descriptions? I've adjusted some of the damage values on certain spells and would like that to be reflected by the in-game descriptions.
Go to Spells.txt in mmmerge.T.lod

darkdill
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby darkdill » 16 Jul 2022, 08:46

Maslyonok wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 08:11
darkdill wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 03:24 Also, where would I go to change spell descriptions? I've adjusted some of the damage values on certain spells and would like that to be reflected by the in-game descriptions.
Right. Forgot about how lots of the files are in the LODs.

Another question: How does one alter the damage of Fire Spike? It says the damage differs per rank, but is that incorrect, or is there something I missed? I don't use the spell much in any event.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 16 Jul 2022, 08:52

darkdill wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 08:46

Another question: How does one alter the damage of Fire Spike? It says the damage differs per rank, but is that incorrect, or is there something I missed? I don't use the spell much in any event.
Its damage is hardcoded, meaning it's very difficult to alter it. In the same way regeneration and heal spells are hardcoded, resistance values etc. You can have per-mastery damage with events.CalcSpellDamage (function to use in script).
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

darkdill
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby darkdill » 16 Jul 2022, 09:18

Eksekk wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 08:52
darkdill wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 08:46

Its damage is hardcoded, meaning it's very difficult to alter it. In the same way regeneration and heal spells are hardcoded, resistance values etc. You can have per-mastery damage with events.CalcSpellDamage (function to use in script).
I see. Well, thanks for answering. I probably won't use Fire Spike much in any event, and it's one of the few spells that does this sort of thing.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 16 Jul 2022, 11:34

cuthalion wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 22:00 Hi,
is there a reliable NPC Gate Master in Jadame? In a house. Or, if not, what is the best chance to find one? My bro started in MM8 with sorcerer class that cannot be promoted in MM8, and sorcerer would be the only class knowing water magic.
so, he did not find any Gatekeeper NPC in either Alvar or Shadowspire. But he found a scroll of town portal (not dimension door, just a regular one).
So, he came to MurmurWoods, cleared up zone around the stones. He has only 1 attempt with that scroll. When he casts it next to, but not inside "magic" zone, he succeeds but his portal only leads to Jadame towns. When he is inside the zone, he gets "Failed" as if there are monsters nearby.
Then that Girl appears to talk to him, but the scroll is gone and he does not have a second scroll to travel.
I cannot verify myself but I wonder what he does wrong and what he should do now to use that only scroll to travel to Enroth where he can easily promote sorceress to become Master of Water. I suggested he clicks on stones first to "summon" that girl and then cast it, he said that did not work...
Thanks in advance!

darkdill
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby darkdill » 17 Jul 2022, 05:00

cuthalion wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 11:34
cuthalion wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 22:00 Hi,
is there a reliable NPC Gate Master in Jadame? In a house. Or, if not, what is the best chance to find one? My bro started in MM8 with sorcerer class that cannot be promoted in MM8, and sorcerer would be the only class knowing water magic.
so, he did not find any Gatekeeper NPC in either Alvar or Shadowspire. But he found a scroll of town portal (not dimension door, just a regular one).
So, he came to MurmurWoods, cleared up zone around the stones. He has only 1 attempt with that scroll. When he casts it next to, but not inside "magic" zone, he succeeds but his portal only leads to Jadame towns. When he is inside the zone, he gets "Failed" as if there are monsters nearby.
Then that Girl appears to talk to him, but the scroll is gone and he does not have a second scroll to travel.
I cannot verify myself but I wonder what he does wrong and what he should do now to use that only scroll to travel to Enroth where he can easily promote sorceress to become Master of Water. I suggested he clicks on stones first to "summon" that girl and then cast it, he said that did not work...
Thanks in advance!
Because you'll run into stuff like this, I'd recommend using Cheat Engine to give yourself the Town Portal spell. You'll need an appropriate CT file, though. There should be one in this topic somewhere.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 17 Jul 2022, 08:45

Yeah. This is about what I did. Not sure about 'cheat engine' but I just set townportal in his spellbook using hex editor. The needed byte I found with the help of char editor for mm8. I am afraid editor may break mmmerge saves but it showed me the byte close to the mage's name. Then I just edited the save myself.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 17 Jul 2022, 08:58

cthscr wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 15:37
TheTate wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 08:42 Verbatim, what I did the last time, was applying the base mod, removing the scripts, then applying the "Merge Revamp latest version", exactly as the instructions said, and that left me with characters 3 and 4 portraitless. I tried reapplying the stuff from the base mod again, and then I had all character portraits back, but I was still missing some item graphics, and could no longer open character 1's inventory.
You need three files:
1) MM678_Merged_2022_06_18_nomedia.zip
2) MM678_Merged_media_2021.zip
3) Either of mmmerge-master.zip or mmmerge-rodril-fixes.zip (but NOT both)

Inaccessible inventory means you have, well, broken inventory. This bug isn't originated by Merge, happens since MM7 at least.
Fix for character in the first slot:

Code: Select all

for k, v in Party[0].Items do
  if v.Number < 0 or v.Number > Game.ItemsTxt.count - 1 then
    print("wrong item", k, v.Number)
    v.Number = 0
  end
end
for k, v in Party[0].Inventory do
  if v > 0 then
    if Party[0].Items[v] == 0 then
      print("ref to absent item", k, v)
    end
  elseif v < 0 then
    if Party[0].Inventory[-1 - v] <= 0 then
      print("ref to non-positive", k, v)
    end
  end
end
This bug was addressed in GrayFace's MMPatch 2.5, can't say what exactly was done.

I really appreciate all the effort you put into giving me these directions. Unfortunately, after following them to a T, I'm just getting an "unable to load" error message when trying to start a new game or load a pre-existing one.
I think I'm just going to chuck this into the "coolest ideas I'll never get to experience" pile at this point.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 17 Jul 2022, 09:17

TheTate wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 08:58 I really appreciate all the effort you put into giving me these directions. Unfortunately, after following them to a T, I'm just getting an "unable to load" error message when trying to start a new game or load a pre-existing one.
I think I'm just going to chuck this into the "coolest ideas I'll never get to experience" pile at this point.
Download game from here and try to run it. If it won't work, set windows XP compatibility for both MM8.exe and MM8Setup.exe and launch the game through latter. If it still won't run, then idk, you probably have something in your OS that conflicts with MMMerge. Can you launch vanilla MM8 installation? Can you launch after installing Grayface patch? Can you launch after installing Base Merge only (don't delete scripts & don't install branch)? Can you launch after installing rodril-fixes branch? What is your OS?
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 17 Jul 2022, 12:08

Yeah. This is about what I did. Not sure about 'cheat engine' but I just set townportal in his spellbook using hex editor. The needed byte I found with the help of char editor for mm8. I am afraid editor may break mmmerge saves but it showed me the byte close to the mage's name. Then I just edited the save myself.
For future reference: you should also still be able to recruit Devlin Arcanus (the Jadame preset NPCs are largely untouched, and you're required to recruit Plot Troll and Plot Cleric anyway) and bring him to M7 Water without significant investment, since rank 7 "only" needs 27 skill points and you'll have that by level 6 (level 5 with one Horseshoe). Player-generated PCs after the first one are treated like MM8 NPCs - they can be sent to the Adventurer's Inn via the Dismiss button (and you'll have to do this if you made a full party of 5, for the aforementioned plot NPCs).

winstonthechurch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby winstonthechurch » 17 Jul 2022, 15:58

So i have been playing as a mad man, close to finish the control cube tests in 6, just on my trial by fire to be on the good path at 7 (planning on blasting through 8) but it was tough just running around all panick-ey not being able to fight back so i though "Hey, invisibility should do the trick!" (can't cast while enemies are near so have only on place to do it and one chance to make the best out of it) but i believe it is broken, or at least the description of it, i have grand master fire magic and according to that for each spell point i will be invisible 1 hour for each point in FM, but i think it is stuck at normal "expertise" since it seems to run out a couple of minutes in...

Is this delibare or a bug? Should i refrain from playing this mod for a couple of years and then go back? I did the same (started playing two weeks ago after waiting for it to become stable, well it became more stable... but to call it perfect/fully finished would be an insult IMO. (and just as i started this game another update came about fixing the GUI but don't know if they fixed those glaring problems with the magic descriptions

Or any tips on how to get through the "rite of passage" quest in MM7 would be helpfull.

Squidbones
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Squidbones » 17 Jul 2022, 17:30

I downloaded the Merge Mod, the Character Creation Unlocker, and the Racial Skills that replace Racial Classes. I can change all the races/classes in the character creator except for Dragons. The only thing I can think is missing is the LUA edit from Racial Skills that replace Racial Classes as shown here;

majaczek's solution to learn the racial skills during character creation (or just use the Community Branch on GitLab that has a better version of this):
Open up MenuChooseCharacter.lua in the game folder/Scripts/General/ in a text editing program. Find this code block:

Party[0].Class = CurClass
local CurStarSkills = Game.ClassKinds.StartingSkills[math.floor(CurClass/2)]
for i = 0, Party[0].Skills.count - 1 do
Party[0].Skills = CurStarSkills == 2 and 1 or 0
end

Insert this code under it:

local BaseRacialSkill = {const.Skills.Learning, const.Skills.VampireAbility, const.Skills.DarkElfAbility, const.Skills.Axe, const.Skills.Regeneration, const.Skills.DragonAbility, const.Skills.Regeneration, const.Skills.DarkElfAbility, const.Skills.Alchemy, const.Skills.Repair, const.Skills.Regeneration}
Party[0].Skills[BaseRacialSkill[ CurRace + 1 ] ] = true

When I try to insert the code, the game will crash as soon as I try to change portraits in the character creator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

darkdill
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby darkdill » 17 Jul 2022, 20:06

I just tried entering Corligan's Estate and either the game CTD's or the dungeon loads completely white, with no textures.

Had anyone ever had this one? I recently tried installing the most up-to-date Revamp over my old install (deleted the Scripts folder, followed the steps). I suspect I was supposed to install it onto a fresh MM8 folder, but I don't know whether that's true.

EDIT: Restarting my computer seems to have fixed the glitch. Weird.

EDIT2: Also, I don't believe my question on the Bolster HP cap was addressed. Is it still uncapped up to 30,000 HP?

The thing about the Bolster mechanic is, while I like how it increases enemy damage output, its effect on HP can be kinda overbearing at times, forcing you to spam Mass Distortion if you want to kill anything quickly (and lord help you if the enemy is immune to Earth magic).

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 17 Jul 2022, 21:40

Eksekk wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 09:17
TheTate wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 08:58 I really appreciate all the effort you put into giving me these directions. Unfortunately, after following them to a T, I'm just getting an "unable to load" error message when trying to start a new game or load a pre-existing one.
Download game from here and try to run it. If it won't work, set windows XP compatibility for both MM8.exe and MM8Setup.exe and launch the game through latter. If it still won't run, then idk, you probably have something in your OS that conflicts with MMMerge. Can you launch vanilla MM8 installation? Can you launch after installing Grayface patch? Can you launch after installing Base Merge only (don't delete scripts & don't install branch)? Can you launch after installing rodril-fixes branch? What is your OS?
Thank you. Going to try that now.
And yes, vanilla works.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 17 Jul 2022, 23:37

Maslyonok wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 18:33 Revamp localization ver 1.0 is done!
I've also uploaded whole game, so u don't need forgetting something during installation and getting the game crashed.

OMG, that worked, and I got to keep my save files! You're a hero.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 18 Jul 2022, 06:42

TheTate wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 23:37
Maslyonok wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 18:33 Revamp localization ver 1.0 is done!

OMG, that worked, and I got to keep my save files! You're a hero.
You are welcome! :D

Return to “Might and Magic”