Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby cuthalion » 03 Jul 2022, 07:32

To respawn NPCs in a town like Shadowspire - is it enough that a month (or how long) has passed, or do you need to carry out a masacre then wait for repop? :)

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 03 Jul 2022, 13:19

Massacre-ing has no bearing on when the repop happens, it's based on the map's respawn timer. Shadowspire's respawn is 12 months (1 year)

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 04 Jul 2022, 00:16

cthscr wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 09:16
Kinox wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 03:56
cthscr wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 21:17
I'd check vars.MercenariesProps
Looks promising. Thanks.

But, ¿where is this data located exactly?

The farthest I've ever done was, when playing MM8, to check in a simple text editor the mm8.ini file and making changes to it. But in this case, this is not inside any .ini file. That if this doesn't require the use of a different, special tool to be able to access.
Stored in a savegame (as all other vars.*), accessed via lua debug console (Ctrl+F1). There you can do things like 'dump(vars.MercenariesProps)' etc.
There's also vars.FreeMercenaries
Neat. Thanks again.

Saves would be the last thing I'd check, but it actually makes lots of sense it is there; since those correspond to files that store transformations as the game is played (including more deep "world" transformations apparently, and that's probably why I didn't immediately thought about checking Saves).

I was able though to find data for those codes on another MMMerge folder; but this turned out not to be very helpful.

By properly 'installing' MMExtension and running it, I believe that should help fixing the probable bug in my particular games (if it ever happens again). It's likely it will happen again. Now I'm suspecting it is related with the even of Dismissing from Adventurer's Inn ANY character (it certainly is not just about the 2 "server purpose" ones, as it gets bugged even if you keep them both anyways). There could be a different cause, or multiple causes.

On a new game I had, I was able to sustain the Randomization working properly for a longer time… I just kept safe those 2 "server purpose" characters. However, as soon as started Dismissing from the Adventurer's Inn OTHER conventional MM8 Recruits, the bug re-appeared (by that time, I had already about 6 or 7 Random Recruits, didn't reach the maximum limit of 8; so I was expecting to have the system keep working —except it didn't— and I know this because of Save/Load tactics; by default Recruit Randomization there has different Chances depending on the Inn/Training Hall, something in-between 1/6 and 1/12 apparently). I'm telling this because this stated information can help more people here in this forum.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 04 Jul 2022, 00:49

So, the occasional audio stutter and graphical glitch aside, this was working just fine until I tried to go to Erathia from Harmondale. The game crashes every single time. Is there a fix to this issue? OS is Windows 7.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 04 Jul 2022, 19:06

Kinox wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 00:16 On a new game I had, I was able to sustain the Randomization working properly for a longer time… I just kept safe those 2 "server purpose" characters. However, as soon as started Dismissing from the Adventurer's Inn OTHER conventional MM8 Recruits, the bug re-appeared (by that time, I had already about 6 or 7 Random Recruits, didn't reach the maximum limit of 8; so I was expecting to have the system keep working —except it didn't— and I know this because of Save/Load tactics; by default Recruit Randomization there has different Chances depending on the Inn/Training Hall, something in-between 1/6 and 1/12 apparently). I'm telling this because this stated information can help more people here in this forum.
Don't forget that bigger party has lower chance of getting mercenary:

Code: Select all

if mapvars.LastMercsRefill ~= Game.Month and CurContinent ~= 4 and math.random(1,6) > Party.count then
cuthalion wrote: is there a reliable NPC Gate Master in Jadame? In a house. Or, if not, what is the best chance to find one? My bro started in MM8 with sorcerer class that cannot be promoted in MM8, and sorcerer would be the only class knowing water magic.
FYI, Lathean can convert Sorcerer to Necromancer.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 08 Jul 2022, 08:12

Still having crashing issues. Managed to progress a little further after switching compatibility to Windows 98. Now, the game is crashing any time I try to enter the Tularean Caves.
Is there a fix for this issue?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 08 Jul 2022, 11:32

Is it a crash-to-desktop or is it throwing a MMExt error box first?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Jul 2022, 21:00

Usually the fix is to use more recent pack. I was surprised to see people that still use officially bugged MM8Patch 2.5.4.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Jul 2022, 21:12

Sean1s wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 04:05 Now when I loading game save (or starting a new game) I see index error messages from Scripts\Global\PromotionTopics.lua (lines 10-21).
It is reported that in NPCText.txt only 2715 lines and an error when calling Game.NPCText[2782], Game.NPCText[2783] etc.
But NPCText.txt both "revamp_02Loc_RU.T.lod" and "revamp.T.lod" contain 2797 lines!
Where does PromotionTopics.lua read the NPCText that is in the Game.NPCText?
For T.lod files sequence is following: T.lod - EnglishT.lod - *.T.lod - *.EnglishT.lod - DataFiles
In [non-localized] Revamp proper version of NPCText.txt is in revamp.T.lod
Maslyonok wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 14:54 It's seems you're using my verson of localization. It's been a while since i uploaded it. We can discuss those new problems in private, if you wish. I'm planning to work on it in nearest weekends.
I will remind about these voice files. English version is in Merge Pack already.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 09 Jul 2022, 06:25

cthscr wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 21:12
Maslyonok wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 14:54 It's seems you're using my verson of localization. It's been a while since i uploaded it. We can discuss those new problems in private, if you wish. I'm planning to work on it in nearest weekends.
I will remind about these voice files. English version is in Merge Pack already.
Ok! :)

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EstelRandir » 11 Jul 2022, 01:48

Any chance you would implement custom scaling to the other individual parts of the UI, like you did with "PartyScale"? For example:right now the other parts of the UI can be scaled to be fairly small and still be readable, but that will make the map will too small to be functional. It would be very nice to be able to control each element individually.

With 3 worlds to explore, we really need an item vault to store items in. Would it be possible to add such a thing to the game? It would be like a really big inventory with multiple tabs. I resorted to storing items on party members in the adventurers inn. But that is a bit of a pain to have to add and remove them from the party to swap out items.

I noticed in the mm8.ini that MouseShiftY_5 & ;MouseShiftY_1 have edited values. Is this because of the change in resolution (and therefore changing the position of items you are looking out at on the screen)? I never really understood why the developers made the default position at which the player looks out into the world as one that slightly looks down. Does this have to do with centering the objects you are looking at to be more in the middle of the screen?

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 12 Jul 2022, 10:24

raekuul wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 11:32 Is it a crash-to-desktop or is it throwing a MMExt error box first?
Error box.

It just started happening when trying to load the Erathia map again, after that not being an issue for a week.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 13 Jul 2022, 05:22

Error message reads:

"Might and Magic VIII has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Only option on that text box is "Close program", and it boots me to the desktop. Every single time I try to enter Erathia now, no matter what compatibility I change it to.
Is there any fix for this issue? I'm using the version of this mod pinned to the top of this thread.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 13 Jul 2022, 05:36

cthscr wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 21:00 Usually the fix is to use more recent pack. I was surprised to see people that still use officially bugged MM8Patch 2.5.4.
I downloaded the "Merge Revamp latest version" and "Latest Fixes for Base Merge" you linked, copied them into the folder the same way I did to apply the mod originally, and now my saves won't even load. Help?

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 13 Jul 2022, 05:56

I tried uninstalling MM8 and all its components (except for save files, which I moved elsewhere), so I could redownload it and try again, but now GOG won't let me download it at all. What happened? How do I fix this? Did I lose everything now?

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 13 Jul 2022, 08:10

I finally managed to get it somewhat stable and running again after hours of trying, but now there are missing assets from my game. my character slots 3 and 4 have no portrait, but a red circle with a slash through it, instead, and I can't open my first party member's inventory, stats or skills screens, and about half of my inventory items also aren't appearing as anything other than a red circle with a slash through it.
Is there any version of this that actually works completely?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 13 Jul 2022, 08:19

TheTate wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 05:36
cthscr wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 21:00 Usually the fix is to use more recent pack. I was surprised to see people that still use officially bugged MM8Patch 2.5.4.
I downloaded the "Merge Revamp latest version" and "Latest Fixes for Base Merge" you linked, copied them into the folder the same way I did to apply the mod originally, and now my saves won't even load. Help?
Read installation manual carefully. Maybe twice. Follow it.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 13 Jul 2022, 08:27

cthscr wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 08:19
TheTate wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 05:36
Read installation manual carefully. Maybe twice. Follow it.
I've read it and followed it as best as possible multiple times. I've been reading it and trying it for about four hours tonight. This keeps happening. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and done what that installation guide has said to the best of my ability multiple times, and just something or multiple things different are wrong every time.

TheTate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheTate » 13 Jul 2022, 08:42

Verbatim, what I did the last time, was applying the base mod, removing the scripts, then applying the "Merge Revamp latest version", exactly as the instructions said, and that left me with characters 3 and 4 portraitless. I tried reapplying the stuff from the base mod again, and then I had all character portraits back, but I was still missing some item graphics, and could no longer open character 1's inventory.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 13 Jul 2022, 14:06

TheTate wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 08:42 Verbatim, what I did the last time, was applying the base mod, removing the scripts, then applying the "Merge Revamp latest version", exactly as the instructions said, and that left me with characters 3 and 4 portraitless. I tried reapplying the stuff from the base mod again, and then I had all character portraits back, but I was still missing some item graphics, and could no longer open character 1's inventory.
Have you installed media pack?

Return to “Might and Magic”