Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby cthscr » 16 Jun 2022, 21:17

Kinox wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 01:36 Unfortunately, I do not know yet any way to reverse the damage after it is done.
I'd check vars.MercenariesProps

Crasyhead
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Questions about basic info on how some things work

Unread postby Crasyhead » 16 Jun 2022, 22:48

You're welcome.

There is a little bit more to race besides beginning stats (though even that by itself is very relevant for making a class more powerful at the start or shoring up it's weaknesses, and making your otherwise fragile sorcerer a dwarf might be a good idea for the extra early endurance within your obviously melee focused party). Down the line there are some artifacts which are usable only by characters of a particular sex/class/race in 7 & 8, though I'm not entirely sure how the mod handles this, since MM8's system puts race and class into a single thing. There are also monsters which are more inclined to attack certain party members according to the same sets of criteria.

Did you tweak the game so that characters can GM everything?

Play the game however you want to play it, and have fun. For what it may or may not be worth, I will say that part of the fun in a Might and Magic game is in the skill limitations and trade-offs created by the class system, and in figuring out how to make a powerful party while working within that scheme.
Nah i did not go that far as that would just be to much. i went and gave the 3 classes im playing with 9 things they could grandmaster each and removed the rest so they can't learn does. picked some combat things for each but around hafe is out of combat stuff like alchemy, ID item merchant ect. I did remake what skills they started with as well and what you can pick from so it lined up with the skills i wanted.
The reason i picked this way to begin with after finding out about how you could do it was that i thought it was silly that i was forced to pick a druid if i wanted Gmaster alchemy just seems more classes should be able to do it so it does not end up being a forced class for your party. I mean Only a upgraded dark elf can be a Gmaster merchant (i know you don't need all things Gmaster but still) there really should be at least 2-3 classes per skill so it does not end up like that and alchemy is a big deal seeing as black potions are a thing so without a druid you wont get them.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 17 Jun 2022, 03:56

cthscr wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 21:17
Kinox wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 01:36 Unfortunately, I do not know yet any way to reverse the damage after it is done.
Looks promising. Thanks.

But, ¿where is this data located exactly?

The farthest I've ever done was, when playing MM8, to check in a simple text editor the mm8.ini file and making changes to it. But in this case, this is not inside any .ini file. That if this doesn't require the use of a different, special tool to be able to access.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 18 Jun 2022, 19:17

Merge Pack 2022-06-18 (mega) - nomedia, use with Media 2021 archive.

[*] MMExtension 2022-04-20
[*] Incorporates fixes from rodril-fixes branch (including items selling, town portal crash, entrances to Castle Ironfist and Breach, etc.)
[*] Fixes (hopefully) conflict with MMExtension's event MonsterCastSpell
[*] Fixes MM6/MM7 UI loading
[*] Fixes Escaton Riddles autonotes
[*] Fixes Jadame Oracle autonotes

Upd. Fixes and Revamp were updated.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 22 Jun 2022, 19:01

Hi, I've got a question on +skill item mechanics.
So, my d-elf has an amulet with +8 to disarm, and a ring with +5 to disarm. Rightclick says bonus is +8. It's been more than 20 years so I do not remember if this result is
1) As it should be in MM8 2) As it should be in Merged version even though it was not so in MM8 3) a bug

Thank you in advance, so many positive emotions from this project!

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 22 Jun 2022, 20:41

All of the games used (1) for skill-improving items - only the highest bonus applies.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 23 Jun 2022, 14:33

Thanks!
Another question:
In Enroth, Druidess asks to fix prices in all 9 travelling stables. I remember I needed to visit each one and explicitly click a dialogue choice.
Now as I visit the stables I see nothing of the kind. How does it work? Is it enough just to visit all 9 or something else?

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 23 Jun 2022, 16:49

cuthalion wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 14:33 Thanks!
Another question:
In Enroth, Druidess asks to fix prices in all 9 travelling stables. I remember I needed to visit each one and explicitly click a dialogue choice.
Now as I visit the stables I see nothing of the kind. How does it work? Is it enough just to visit all 9 or something else?
There's no dialogue option due to technical limitations, you simply need to click on the door of stables and you should get price fixing message (or maybe you need to do it when stables are open).
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 23 Jun 2022, 20:33

thanks again! as I am playing MM6, I got a few more things to clarify though :)

1) My D-Elf at master merchant level is buying and selling stuff at real price. Is it a bug? GM merchant seems useless then.

2) regarding GM Light and Dark. There is quite a mess with all those starting characters and promotions. Cleric from MM6, Cleric from MM8 etc..
So my question: I promoted my cleric 2 times within Enroth. He can now learn M Light and M Dark, but both of GM are marked with Red.
I used character unlocker at the beginning but as far as I understand it does not influence this GM part.
So how can I learn GM - at least in one of the schools now? Or is it now impossible and I should have done promotion in MM8 for, for example, GM Light?

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 23 Jun 2022, 20:40

OK, it seems as though it is as designed: Priest of Light (from MM7) can learn GM Light but no Dark, Priest of Dark - vice-versa. And High Priest from MM6 can do both Masters but neither at GM. Makes sense, though if we take only MM6, then in original version I was able to do both Masters and that gave me all spells out there...

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 24 Jun 2022, 03:03

cuthalion wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 20:33 thanks again! as I am playing MM6, I got a few more things to clarify though :)

1) My D-Elf at master merchant level is buying and selling stuff at real price. Is it a bug? GM merchant seems useless then.

2) regarding GM Light and Dark. There is quite a mess with all those starting characters and promotions. Cleric from MM6, Cleric from MM8 etc..
So my question: I promoted my cleric 2 times within Enroth. He can now learn M Light and M Dark, but both of GM are marked with Red.
I used character unlocker at the beginning but as far as I understand it does not influence this GM part.
So how can I learn GM - at least in one of the schools now? Or is it now impossible and I should have done promotion in MM8 for, for example, GM Light?

1) It is because your reputation in Enroth is very high, and the more you have, the purchase and sale of items in stores is closer to the real value. That is something that only happens in Enroth, there your reputation is valid for the entire continent, while in Antagarich and Jadame the reputation level is per map. So it is still useful if you can be a GM in Merchant.

2) I understand that the promotion of clerics in Enroth is different from the rest. You can learn light and dark at Master level only. Now if what you want is that you can be a GM in one of the two magics, you have to go find NPCs that are in Blackshire. They change your character's promotion (The options say 'Dark Path' or 'Light Path' I think). You can change it to Priest of light or darkness and there you can be a GM.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 24 Jun 2022, 11:04

Thanks for answers.
My next question :) - I am not sure if it applies to Merged version or solely to MM8, but the only time I completed MM8 was 20 years ago and I remember next to nothing - except that I did not have any problems during main scenario quests.

So, I travelled to Jadame to promote my d-elf, minotaur and troll. I helped minotaurs in their lair, but the guy at the bottom does not do anything like inhabiting shops and stuff, so I cannot get promotion quest. He only says "blablabla thanks we will be friends etc". I googled for a bit and it says that I first need to get a quest to form alliances and then talk to him again. But who starts that quest? I visited Bastian in Alvar but he says nothing. Can someone please advise? Meanwhile, going to promote d-elf....

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 24 Jun 2022, 12:29

cuthalion wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:04 Thanks for answers.
My next question :) - I am not sure if it applies to Merged version or solely to MM8, but the only time I completed MM8 was 20 years ago and I remember next to nothing - except that I did not have any problems during main scenario quests.

So, I travelled to Jadame to promote my d-elf, minotaur and troll. I helped minotaurs in their lair, but the guy at the bottom does not do anything like inhabiting shops and stuff, so I cannot get promotion quest. He only says "blablabla thanks we will be friends etc". I googled for a bit and it says that I first need to get a quest to form alliances and then talk to him again. But who starts that quest? I visited Bastian in Alvar but he says nothing. Can someone please advise? Meanwhile, going to promote d-elf....
The main line quest you probably have is deliver letter to Elgar Felmoon or convince smugglers to help Alvarian merchants. Do them and read the quest text you're given on finish carefully, continue main quest line and you'll eventually come to alliance quest. BTW: you can probably get quicker replies on MM Discord server. If you don't want to, that's fine, I'll help you here.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 24 Jun 2022, 14:05

Well, thank you. So, the general idea is that I have to follow the main quest line from as far as starting point. No problem. Just bad luck that minotaurs cannot be promoted otherwise: troll and d-elf have already been promoted :) .
And probably, it will be the same way with classes specific to MM7 (ranger, thief etc) ? Like, to do second promotion, I will need to go all the way from the beginning, choose a side etc. OK, will have to do it then...

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 24 Jun 2022, 16:25

Yeah. Unfortunately.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 26 Jun 2022, 09:16

Kinox wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 03:56
cthscr wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 21:17
Looks promising. Thanks.

But, ¿where is this data located exactly?

The farthest I've ever done was, when playing MM8, to check in a simple text editor the mm8.ini file and making changes to it. But in this case, this is not inside any .ini file. That if this doesn't require the use of a different, special tool to be able to access.
Stored in a savegame (as all other vars.*), accessed via lua debug console (Ctrl+F1). There you can do things like 'dump(vars.MercenariesProps)' etc.
There's also vars.FreeMercenaries

foreverthesceptic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby foreverthesceptic » 27 Jun 2022, 07:01

Hi All,

I'm currently play this mod and love what you folks have done with it.

I've started off in MM8 with no problems, however I have now teleported to MM6 and whenever I try to enter a building I get the following error message,

Can't load temprich.smk in file: X:\mm7Src\MMVIII\Code\video.cpp at line number:935

I have installed the following,

MM678_Merged_2022_04_08_nomedia and Revamp branch

Any idea what's happening or how I can fix this?

Thank you

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 27 Jun 2022, 08:39

foreverthesceptic wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 07:01 Hi All,

I've started off in MM8 with no problems, however I have now teleported to MM6 and whenever I try to enter a building I get the following error message,

Can't load temprich.smk in file: X:\mm7Src\MMVIII\Code\video.cpp at line number:935

Thank you
The answer is literally on the previous page:
Kinox wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 23:06 Hey, that one is simple.

You have a 'no media' pack (probably the same as I have), but you need to complement it with the 'media' pack.
It's just an extra step of the installation in-between others (done in the same way), but the order of things is important; you find the instructions in those links. It's a bit confusing but one can figure it out; I'd say it looks like this:

original/vanilla MM8 install → no-media pack → media pack (you're probably lacking this step) → pick 1 MMMerge branch (Base/Master/Comm)

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install
Suggestion for the devs: add some kind of lua script that checks for the media archives and produces a descriptive warning message in their absence.

foreverthesceptic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby foreverthesceptic » 27 Jun 2022, 10:46

Tomsod wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 08:39
foreverthesceptic wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 07:01 Hi All,

Thank you
The answer is literally on the previous page:
Kinox wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 23:06 Hey, that one is simple.

You have a 'no media' pack (probably the same as I have), but you need to complement it with the 'media' pack.
It's just an extra step of the installation in-between others (done in the same way), but the order of things is important; you find the instructions in those links. It's a bit confusing but one can figure it out; I'd say it looks like this:

original/vanilla MM8 install → no-media pack → media pack (you're probably lacking this step) → pick 1 MMMerge branch (Base/Master/Comm)

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install
Suggestion for the devs: add some kind of lua script that checks for the media archives and produces a descriptive warning message in their absence.
Thank you very much. That is now fixed.

wgrace
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wgrace » 29 Jun 2022, 01:27

I'm trying to replace the widescreen UI bmp files but I can't find them. I've been using the MMArchive tool to look through .lod archives at the sprites and whatnot but I can't find the new UI images anywhere (I just hate that they don't change into cooler versions when you choose light or dark side in mm7 so I'm trying to make my own and replace them)

Which .lod file are they in?

Return to “Might and Magic”