GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

Unread postby rotalihinna » 27 Apr 2022, 01:30

Also, where can I get more info on how Maddening Eye's Dispel Magic works?

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 27 Apr 2022, 08:04

I guess I can answer this.

Item generation: there are six "treasure levels". Most items on the ground and in chests start as "random items of treasure level X" and when you first visit the map, the game randomly replaces those with actual items. Similarly, many monsters have a chance to carry an item of a particular treasure level, sometimes restricted by type: e.g. a Genie has a 30% chance to get a random level 4 item, while a Dwarf Lord has a 25% chance to carry a random level 3 axe. Monster item is determined when you loot the corpse.

Treasure level determines the type and enchantment of the item. For instance, that level 3 axe can be a Hand Axe, Battle Axe, War Axe, Dwarven Axe, Poleax, or Heavy Poleax, with the respective odds of 2:5:10:5:10:5 (out of 37 in total). It also has a 10% chance (on this level) to get an enchantment, such as "of Fire" or "Antique", although the more powerful enchantments like "of Flame" or "Vampiric" are unavailable at this level. I would've recommended a good walkthrough site which has comprehensive tables for random item generation, unfortunately it's mostly in Russian, although you could try using Google Translate.

Artifacts: whenever a level 6 item is generated, there's a 5% chance that the game tries to convert in into a random artifact. This will fail if the game chooses an artifact that was already marked as generated, or if 13 artifacts are already marked in total. Artifacts generated this way are marked, but some artifacts can also be found at pre-determined places, and these usually aren't marked when you find them, which is how you can get two Mordreds. Excalibur is a special case, as you can always find it as a sword in stone, even if you got it randomly before, but it's marked either way (thus, order matters).

Dispel: when a monster casts it, it first tries to remove spells tied to each PC (e.g. Bless, Preservation), which can be resisted with a
(generally modest) chance based on Intellect, Personality, and Luck. Then it unconditionally removes spells that affect the entire party (like Wizard Eye or Fire Resistance), which is pretty annoying IMO. This spell can also be cast through walls (by monsters, that is).

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 28 Apr 2022, 17:31

Amazing. Thank you so much for the info!

The site you directed me to is fantastic, and I think for the most part Google Translate does a good job. So, according to that site, if you visit a location and the chests are generated, if there are artifacts in those chests, they're marked, so you can't get them anywhere else? This is the case even if you don't open them? That's wild.

And as for the Dispel Magic. I've found that Castle Darkmoor has a bug where you can actually move through some of the ceilings with Jump. This kind of validated my suspicions that the eyes on the floor above me could "see me", but they would never actually attack me with their primary attack, but would still dispel my buffs (the primary reason Castle Darkmoor is probably one of the hardest dungeons in the game). Do you know anything about this bug? It has to be a bug, no way this was a design decision!

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 28 Apr 2022, 17:32

Also... GrayFace's last patch says "all monster damage was Fire damage"... am I understanding that correctly? Before this latest patch all magic damage was Fire, so any other resistance didn't matter (in terms of damage)?

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 29 Apr 2022, 07:33

Yes, artifacts in chests are marked when you first visit the map. Since v2.5.4 of the patch, if you never opened the chest, they're "ungenerated" when the map refills (usually after 2 in-game years), but this is a fairly recent feature.

I do not know anything about jumping in ceilings in Darkmoor. Sounds interesting, though.

The patch note says that all monster SPELLS were doing fire damage. Monsters also have ranged attacks that aren't spells, like arrows, dragons' breath attacks, or various 'magical' projectiles. Those always worked correctly, I think.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 29 Apr 2022, 17:26

rotalihinna wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 23:43 It seems like I can find duplicates of some artifacts like Mordred, but not others like Percival.
Mordred in that chest isn't randomly generated, so it's not counted towards found artifacts.
Tomsod wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 07:33 Monsters also have ranged attacks that aren't spells, like arrows, dragons' breath attacks, or various 'magical' projectiles. Those always worked correctly, I think.
Also these 'magical' projectiles can miss based on Armor Class, like normal blows.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 01 May 2022, 17:59

great to see this is still being worked on.. think I still have a really old version on my pc so will have to get the latest!
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 10 May 2022, 17:08

Another question about MM6 Maddening Eye dispel: Does it work every time, or does it actually check against your magic resistance?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 10 May 2022, 20:36

Isn't it the Lich-class enemies that are casting dispel? I remember running into Dispel Magic in the Tomb of Ethric the Mad...

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 11 May 2022, 11:50

Yeah, the regular Lich and Greater Lich also cast Dispel.

My question is how the success of Dispel is calculated. I know that for bad effects coming from strikes (such as Break Item) it's calculated according to the formula on GrayFace's mechanics page, but how are the spell effects calculated? Is it again the 30/(30+LuckEffect+OtherEffect) formula?

Anerag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anerag » 11 May 2022, 20:28

Maybe someone has commented on this in the past but why is it that the alchemist follower can only repair rings/amulets/boots? I would've expected them to be able to fix helmets/belts/cloaks as well.

Would it be possible to have that functionality in the patch?

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 04 Jun 2022, 08:37

Anerag wrote: 11 May 2022, 20:28 Maybe someone has commented on this in the past but why is it that the alchemist follower can only repair rings/amulets/boots? I would've expected them to be able to fix helmets/belts/cloaks as well.

IIRC those are armor, there's a different follower for that.

Anerag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anerag » 08 Jun 2022, 06:43

eilacomeva wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 08:37
Anerag wrote: 11 May 2022, 20:28 Maybe someone has commented on this in the past but why is it that the alchemist follower can only repair rings/amulets/boots? I would've expected them to be able to fix helmets/belts/cloaks as well.

IIRC those are armor, there's a different follower for that.
Yes, but magic shops do repair (and sell/buy/identify) those. There would still be a tradeoff between being able to fix armor/shield versus rings/amulets.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 21 Jun 2022, 06:30

I'm not sure if I ever brought this up, but holy heck, the area in the Free Haven Sewers where the Prince of Thieves is -- it's just glitchy. Distorted textures and the light keeps flickering on and off. Is there any way you can fix that?

Also, I should add: A friend of mine was playing through MM6 and encountered this as well and it gave him a headache due to the distortion in this area.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 02 Jul 2022, 21:00

Question:

How does the spell "Finger of Death" interact with resistance? I know on the Mechanics page it says that debuff/ejector spells' success rate can be calculated via

Code: Select all

30/(30 + MonsterResistance + MonsterLevel)
but is the numerator just your chance from Dark skill/mastery?

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EstelRandir » 10 Jul 2022, 07:29

Can mouse look be changed so that the mouse cursor will be hidden while in mouse look mode?

Edit: someone showed me how to do this. Disregard.
Last edited by EstelRandir on 24 Jul 2022, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 19 Jul 2022, 16:47

Just a follow up on the Finger of Death thing: M60 Dark is not 100% success against 0 Magic Resist monsters, so there's something funky going on with it. The vanilla description says success rate is 3%/4%/5% per rank but at M60 that would be 300% success rate and we're not seeing that. If anybody has any insight into this, it would be appreciated (cough*Grayface*cough)

E: after a (statistically small) test of 100 casts of N20 against Goblin Shamans (who have an 30/36 debuff rate), it looks like it's filtered through the Debuff chance as well, so the net result may just be

Min(100%, Rank%) * 30/(30+Magic Resist+Level)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 01 Aug 2022, 20:53

raekuul wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 12:34 the main difference is that your pc in 1998 gave implicit root access to apps running under an account in the administrator group while your pc in 2022 does not (unless you're running as literally the user Administrator, you still have to go through the UAC prompt to give the game the read/write access it needs to save, since the save folder is in the program folder - this is why you don't install legacy software to program files).

this is the sort of thing that UAC and sudo are designed to prevent, apparently - the most remembered change with Windows Vista was the UAC prompt being everywhere, since even WinXP still did the Implicit Access bit.
You can still set it up in Win10 to work like in WinXP - by disabling a certain setting in the registry (enableLUA set to 0 in the registry or whatever) plus set up auto-elevation in group policies.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 03 Aug 2022, 16:51

Is it just me, or are Cold and Elec resistances getting switched around? Using MMExt if that makes a difference; dumping Game.MonstersTxt[50] shows

"{\
  [\"\"] = 0,\
  AIType = 0,\
  ArmorClass = 12,\
  Attack1 = {\
    DamageAdd = 0,\
    DamageDiceCount = 5,\
    DamageDiceSides = 6,\
    Missile = 4,\
    Type = 3\
  },\
  Attack2 = {\
    DamageAdd = 0,\
    DamageDiceCount = 0,\
    DamageDiceSides = 1,\
    Missile = 0,\
    Type = 0\
  },\
  Attack2Chance = 0,\
  AttackRecovery = 90,\
  Bonus = 0,\
  BonusMul = 1,\
  ColdResistance = 200,\
  ElecResistance = 10,\
  Experience = 704,\
  FireResistance = 10,\
  Fly = 1,\
  FullHP = 114,\
  FullHitPoints = 114,\
  HostileType = 4,\
  Id = 50,\
  Level = 22,\
  MagicResistance = 200,\
  MoveSpeed = 240,\
  MoveType = 4,\
  Name = \"Twister\",\
  PhysResistance = 10,\
  Picture = \"ElemAirB\",\
  PoisonResistance = 200,\
  PrefClass = 0,\
  PrefNum = 0,\
  Prefers = {  -- table: 0x032a4a68\
  },\
  QuestItem = 0,\
  Resistances = clone table: 0x032a4a68,\
  Spell = 0,\
  SpellChance = 0,\
  SpellSkill = 0,\
  TreasureDiceCount = 0,\
  TreasureDiceSides = 0,\
  TreasureItemLevel = 0,\
  TreasureItemPercent = 0,\
  TreasureItemType = 0\
}"
which according to the internal Monsters.txt file the Cold and Elec resistances should be the other way around.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 25 Aug 2022, 10:44

I've noticed if you hold down the right mouse key in the menu, it shows everything that is unidentified. I had an issue with entering turn based mode when pressing enter - it would often count the enter key pressed twice - update to 2.57 fixed this but then I noticed this slight graphical bug.

Return to “Might and Magic”