GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
keksua
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.4 [Sep 17, 2019]

Unread postby keksua » 26 Jan 2021, 14:21

GrayFace wrote:
keksua wrote:- Flying without MouseLook flying is broken- you change your altitude in direction you face.
What do you mean?
Same behaviour as with MouseLook- you change your altitude in direction you face, which shouldn't happen without MouseLook.
GrayFace wrote:
keksua wrote:- FixMovement=0/1 does nothing. it is a good new experience not having the opportunity co climb whatever you want, but flying mobs cannot overcome any obstacles like they still walking on them but not flying, and all mobs and corpses are now sliding in dungeons.. so it would be nice to have an option to revert this..
Looks like you're using an old version.
MM7PatchReadme says:
GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.4
By Sergej....

it's on win10/64
Last edited by keksua on 26 Jan 2021, 14:28, edited 4 times in total.

d2r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby d2r » 20 Feb 2021, 16:02

Not sure if this is an issue native to the patch, or if this is game default; thought I'd bring it up here.

Basically, all the info I see online and the game's actual manual says that the Archer can get Expert disarm trap at their base class level (e.g. AS an Archer rather than a Warrior mage etc.). I'm playing with the patch and it says I need to be Master Archer/Sniper to do it.

Was this a (intended?) nerf native to the patch, or is it something in the base game that somehow every single online walkthrough and the game manual got wrong? I don't have an unpatched copy of the game to check against.

This isn't exactly a game-ending issue, as I can trivially use a character editor to give myself the skill and deduct 500 gold from my inventory, but it would be interesting to know whether this is a bug or an intended game feature that somehow nobody checked until now...
Last edited by d2r on 20 Feb 2021, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 21 Jul 2021, 00:48

Heya Grayface! A quick question about the *.UI.txt drop-in files: can they be used to overwrite values in the original UI.txt?

In particular, I want to modify UI.txt as follows:

Code: Select all

--- UI.txt.orig	2019-09-15 16:42:00.000000000 +0300
+++ UI.txt	2021-07-21 03:06:17.312209222 +0300
@@ -158,25 +158,25 @@
 icon UI-MapL					RL-167	B	-		Game.Neutral					Minimap
 icon %sMap					R		-	#ff00ff	Game.Good	ui				Minimap
 icon %sMap			1		RL-167		-	+	Game.Evil	ui				Minimap
 icon %sMap	4	B		4	R	B	-	#ff00ff	Game.Evil	ui				Minimap

; Spells Top														
-	474	244	158	27				+						SpLeft
+	474	244	160	29				+						SpLeft
 	484	255	1	1			+	-			158	27		SpLeft
 icon UI-SpMskL							-	and						SpLeft
 if empty	5												Game.PartyBuffs
 icon %sSpBgL	1		22		1		-	+		ui				SpLeft
 if empty	6												Game.PartyBuffs	
 icon %sSpBgL	23		22		23		-	+		ui				SpLeft
 if empty	0												Game.PartyBuffs	
 icon %sSpBgL	47		22		47		-	+		ui				SpLeft
 if empty	17												Game.PartyBuffs	
 icon %sSpBgL	68		22		68		-	+		ui				SpLeft
 if empty	12												Game.PartyBuffs	
-icon %sSpBgL	86		22		86		-	+		ui				SpLeft
+icon %sSpBgL	90		22		90		-	+		ui				SpLeft
 if empty	4												Game.PartyBuffs	
 icon %sSpBgL	109		30		109		-	+		ui				SpLeft
 if empty	1												Game.PartyBuffs	
 icon %sSpBgL	140				140		-	+		ui				SpLeft
 if
Can a something.UI.txt file be created that achieves this without altering the original UI.txt?
d2r wrote:Basically, all the info I see online and the game's actual manual says that the Archer can get Expert disarm trap at their base class level (e.g. AS an Archer rather than a Warrior mage etc.). I'm playing with the patch and it says I need to be Master Archer/Sniper to do it.

Was this a (intended?) nerf native to the patch, or is it something in the base game that somehow every single online walkthrough and the game manual got wrong? I don't have an unpatched copy of the game to check against.
The guide I use does correctly note that an Archer can learn Expert Disarm only after the 2nd promotion, and it's rather thorough. Looks like a mistake in the manual that was carelessly copied to a bunch of walkthroughs.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 21 Jul 2021, 10:23

Tomsod wrote:Can a something.UI.txt file be created that achieves this without altering the original UI.txt?
From what I understand, yes. Just create your new file, alter what you want, then in mm7.ini instead of naming the section [UI] you will name it [something.UI] or whatever you choose.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 21 Jul 2021, 15:42

Novi wrote:From what I understand, yes. Just create your new file, alter what you want, then in mm7.ini instead of naming the section [UI] you will name it [something.UI] or whatever you choose.
No, I specifically didn't mean entirely replacing UI.txt, but rather adding a new file that only describes the two lines I want to change, possibly with some context. Here's what the MM7Patch readme says:
MM7Patch ReadMe.TXT wrote:If you set UILayout=UI, a flexible UI layout (named "UI") will be used. The layout is defined in corresponding Data\UI.txt file and uses icons.UI.lod graphics. It's possible to extend it with *.UI.txt files or create brand new layouts, but I haven't made any description for its format.
Although it says "extend", not "overwrite", but I'm still hopeful.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Jul 2021, 00:13

Tomsod wrote: Can a something.UI.txt file be created that achieves this without altering the original UI.txt?
https://pastebin.com/P8dzyd2H
[edit] Instead of "STAGE before DrawView" and "STAGE before DrawViewUI" it should be just "STAGE DrawView" and "STAGE DrawViewUI" respectively.
Last edited by GrayFace on 07 Dec 2021, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 27 Jul 2021, 02:05

Thank you, this works perfectly!

Mightier
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mightier » 29 Sep 2021, 07:03

GrayFace wrote: 23 May 2009, 19:54 New version of my patch for MM7 is released. Here is full list of changes:
https://grayface.github.io/mm/#GrayFace-MM7-Patch
For modders: pay attention to "DataFiles" and "Custom LODs" changes.

Topics for MM6 and MM8 patches:
viewtopic.php?t=9704 - MM6
viewtopic.php?t=10240 - MM8
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 3?p=281026 - MMExtension
hey, i all time got error :
windows 10
gog version

trying all language version,run as admin, run in compatibility mode etc
and try on another my pc and got some error
also i download d3dim.dll and no luck
in mm8 all good

Mightier
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mightier » 01 Nov 2021, 18:28

any solutions ?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 Nov 2021, 00:36

Run mm7.exe, not mm7-rel.exe
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Mightier
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mightier » 11 Nov 2021, 13:27

GrayFace wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 00:36 Run mm7.exe, not mm7-rel.exe

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 20 Nov 2021, 09:17

Mightier wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 13:27
Do you have d3dim.dll or ddraw.dll in the game folder?

Mightier
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mightier » 21 Nov 2021, 13:32

ty vm!!! i was need have those files in game directory !!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.5 [Dec 21, 2021]

Unread postby GrayFace » 21 Dec 2021, 22:50

Version 2.5
<< MM6 - MM8 >>
[+] Set ShooterMode=1 to enable FPS-like mode. Press attack button to toggle the fight mode, then press left mouse button to attack and right button to use quick spell. Regular quick spell button also works. No auto-targeting is done. A sword icon indicates this mode, which also shows health of target (or last hit) monster.
[+] Now you can set a spell that would be used when you press regular attack button. E.g. you can set Poison Spray as Attack Spell and Heal as Quick Spell. Add EnableAttackSpell=0 to INI to disable.
[+] ViewDistanceD3D option to set view distance in Hardware 3D mode, increased to 12000 by default. In Software mode you can increase view distance slightly by setting dist_mist. Known issue I haven't been able to fix yet: ViewDistanceD3D above game's default 8192 causes occasional brief disappearance of a near ground tile.
[+] Direct unaccelerated mouse input supported through MouseSensitivityDirectMul option. To enable, set it to a positive number, e.g. 1.0.
[+] Player condition priorities changed to demonstrate the worst condition (weak, cursed etc.). Add FixConditionPriorities=0 to INI to disable. New conditions order is Eradicated, Dead, Stoned, Unconscious, Paralyzed, Asleep, Weak, Cursed, Disease3, Poison3, Disease2, Poison2, Disease1, Poison1, Insane, Drunk, Afraid, Zombie.
[+] Now while you're holding right mouse button hint would be shown for the element you're pointing at. Especially useful for checking current time. Add ShowHintWithRMB=0 to INI to disable.
[+] In inventory screen unidentified items are now painted green while you're holding right mouse button. Add GreenItemsWhileRightClick=0 to INI to disable.
[+] Set DeadPlayerShowItemInfo=1 to be able to see items of unconscious players with right click.
[+] Better fix for inactive players acting: now you can select inactive players, but if you press the attack key, an active player would be selected.
[+] MouseLookPermKey option sets up the key that changes mouse look mode, but the mode doesn't get restored when a dialog is opened.
[+] Set ExitDialogsWithRightButton=1 to make right mouse button act as Esc in houses, NPC, map entrance and message dialogs.
[+] WinScreenDelay hidden option controls Win screen delay during which all input is ignored. Default is 500 (half a second instead of game's original 5 seconds).
[+] Set AddDescriptions=1 to add option descriptions straight into INI file. Set it to -1 to remove them.
[+] MonSpritesSizeMul option allows you to change the scale at which monsters are displayed in right button dialog. E.g. set it to 0.5 if you upscale monsters by 2. Mods can change it dynamically through the patch options API.
[+] House animation is no longer restarted when you click any topic. Add FixHouseAnimationRestart=0 to INI to disable this change.
[+] Free space check when saving a game. Add CheckFreeSpace=0 to INI to disable.
[+] Automatic horseman and boatman speak time detection. HorsemanSpeakTimeLimit and BoatmanSpeakTimeLimit hidden options are used as the maximum time allowed for the speeches.
[+] Wands no longer disappear when depleated, just break. Add KeepEmptyWands=0 in INI to disable this change.
[+] Fixed graphics of monsters that looked the same in all 3 variations.
[-] Changing item graphics was causing inventory corruption.
[-] Poison Spray, Shrapmetal and second spell attacks by monsters were doing wrong damage. Shrapmetal also wasn't going in an arc as it should. Add FixMonsterSpells=0 to INI to disable these fixes. (thanks cthscr)
[-] AOE damage wasn't dealt to paralyzed monsters.
[-] Element hints staying visible in some dialogs after moving the mouse off the element. Add HintStayTime=0 to INI to return this behavior. Default is 2, making hint stay up for 2 frames.
[-] Casting stronger buffs did nothing if a weaker, but longer one is active.
[-] Item spells were causing bugs when cast onto the very first item in the inventory.
[-] Now you when pick up items stolen from you from corpses of thieves it's properly indicated in status bar.
[-] Monster attacks were causing a player switch even if Endurance eliminates hit recovery.
[-] When casting a Quick Spell the spell points check was incorrect (it assigned GM spell to another school of magic)
[-] The game couldn't be run normally when current folder is different from its folder. Add KeepCurrentDirectory=1 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] Unconscious players could identify/repair items in shops before. Add FixDeadPlayerIdentifyItem=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] Another situation where game could crash due to vertex-less facets.
[-] New Day effects (weakness, insanity etc.) weren't triggered on beginning of a month when pressing "Wait until Dawn" and then Esc.
[-] Often there was full brightness outdoors for a minute at 5:00 AM.
[-] Random item generation routine was generating the first matching item with bigger probability and last matching item with smaller probability. (Thanks for Tomsod for this and many fixes that I've incorporated)
[-] Buff duration was displayed incorrectly in the cases like "1 day 5 minutes".
[-] Spell duration string for items and "N/A" string for ranged damage weren't localizeable.
[-] Water Walk was draining mana every 5 minutes instead of every 20 minutes. Add FixWaterWalkManaDrain=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] My bug: You were able to learn unavailable magic skills with keyboard navigation.
[*] Now spell skills that don't fit on the screen (say, if you change class in Rev4 mod for MM7) are now drawn over buttons. It's still better than making them inaccessible.
[*] 3DO and other logos are now shown when intro is postponed by NoIntro=1, unless NoIntoLogos=0 line is added to INI. You can cancel logos with Esc and still watch the intro.
<< MM6, MM7 >>
[-] Horizontal speed of snow was effected by strafing too much.
[-] Copyright screen staying visible on startup if game window wasn't in focus when it appeared.
[-] Awards page wasn't updated when player is switched by pressing Tab.
[-] 'Charm' spell had wrong durations.
<< MM7, MM8 >>
[+] UI.txt: New FloatingScreens mode makes inventory, houses and other such screens open in a panel.
[+] With IndoorFovMul hidden option you can specify the amount by which FOV is multiplied indoors. Default is 0.813.
[+] TrueColorSprites hidden option, off by default to prevent 'out of memory' with HD sprites.
[+] The game now doesn't crash on exit if d3dsprite.hwl and d3dbitmap.hwl are missing.
[+] "Mapbkg" will be used as the background for minimap if present in *.icons.lod. This will help color blind people see blue dots on the minimap better.
[+] Now explosions and missiles are ignored during targeting in Hardware 3D mode too, unless ClickThroughEffects=0.
[+] When ddraw.dll is found in game folder (patch assumes it's dgVoodoo), you'll be asked whether you want to use it and SystemDDraw option would be set accordingly.
[+] Now you can climb steep mountains, like you used to when the game came out, unless ClimbBetter=0.
[-] If you set FixMonstersBlockingShots=1, enemy monsters won't block each other's shots with their body indoor resulting in projectiles being suspended in the air. This would fix the bug of reanimated monsters being unable to hit enemies of the same kind. This may increase difficulty of some encounters, like one in Rev4 mod.
[-] Fixed DirectX 7 bug: inability to support big resolutions in Hardware accelerated mode.
[-] Windows 10 compatibility issue fixed both in the game and Setup. Windowed mode also unlocked in Setup.
[-] Changing a static texture to an animated one by a script was causing a crash next time the location is loaded.
[-] Monsters shot at from a distance beyond active radius were appearing as green dots on minimap.
[-] In Display Inventory screen you couldn't do anything with unconscious players.
[-] Damage bonus of Assassins' and Barbarians' enchantments didn't work.
[-] Grand spell skill wasn't read from Monsters.txt when written as "GM".
[-] Ice Blast was read as Ice Bolt from Monsters.txt. Add FixIceBoltBlast=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] Energy damage type was being turned into Earth when read from Monsters.txt. Add FixEnergyDamageType=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] Gamma.pcx file was created whenever you open menu.
[-] Souldrinker was hitting monsters beyond party range. Add FixSouldrinker=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] Acid Burst spell was doing physical damage.
[-] Inability to equip sword or dagger when a spear is equipped and its skill is below Master.
[-] Arcomage hanging in some circumstances.
[-] Walking on water was dealing Fire damage.
[-] Bow skill bonus from items wasn't added to damage when you have Grandmaster Bow skill.
[-] When a monster attacked another one with a spell, wrong spell was used in damage calculation.
[-] Melee monsters under Berserk were hitting party from a far if their target died.
[-] Failed alchemy was breaking Hardened items.
[-] "of Acid" enchantment was dealing Water damage instead of Body.
[-] Armageddon spell was dealing unresistable damage. Now it deals Dark damage. Add ArmageddonElement=5 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] LeaveMap event wasn't called when travelling via stables or boat.
[-] Monsters summoning other monsters was causing a crash if monsters limit is already reached.
[-] "Body" attack type was read (from Monsters.txt) as physical for monsters.
[-] My bug: Crash in full screen if BorderlessFullscreen=0.
[-] My bug: Mipmaps were always on in full screen if BorderlessFullscreen=0 and MipmapsCount>1.
[-] My bug: Empty pictures were causing division by zero in UI Layout code.
[-] My bug: Empty sprites causing a crash in D3D mode.
[-] UI.txt: 3D view was shifted vertically in the dungeon exit screen.
[-] UI.txt: "Press Escape" message wasn't visible after the Win screen.
<< MM7 >>
[-] If current fines are due, arcomage win/lose count wasn't added to awards.
[-] Master Healer NPC was messing up player skills when activated.
[-] Artifacts weren't generated properly as objects on the ground.
[-] Artifacts generated in a specific way (as level 7 items) weren't marked as found. Add FixUnmarkedArtifacts=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] Lich was becoming immune to elemental magic if resistances are 200+. Add FixLichImmune=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] NPCs with an action ("Heal Party", cast spell etc.) had 1 non-interactive invisible dialog item at the bottom. It was shifting everything else up.
[-] "Of David" enchantment wasn't working on bows.
[-] "Gibbet" artifact was only doing double damage to Undead.
[-] 'Control Undead' spell didn't work on GrandMaster level.
[-] 'Charm' and 'Control Undead' spells didn't work on Master and GrandMaster level respectively.
[-] Wand stolen from Mr. Malwick would have garbage as number of charges after recharging.
[-] Wrong message was displayed when stealing an item from a monster.
[-] Dark tavern and training hall were consuming more time than they should. Add FixDarkTrainers=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] Kelebrim shield wasn't affecting Earth Resistance by -30 (I was hesitant to implement it on such a weak shield, but turns out only Golem explosions, Earth Elementals and Trees do Earth damage). Add FixKelebrim=0 to INI to disable this fix.
[-] White Barrels (+2 Luck) weren't generated on maps.
[-] Wetsuits had recovery penalty.
[-] Monsters couldn't cast Paralyze/Implosion/Mass Distortion spells, but were wasting their turn.
[-] UI.txt: Long simple message text was treated like a progress bar.
<< Fixes in maps >>
[-] The Walls of Mist (d11): Using some of the 3 keys and then save-loading was causing the door to not open once all 3 are inserted.
[-] The Walls of Mist (d11): Not all facets of keyhole pedestals were clickable.
[-] Upon completing Faerie Pipes quest it was recorded in Awards only of one player.
[-] Dwarven guards and Behemoths were too fat and getting stuck in doorways.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 22 Dec 2021, 15:23

Nice! Glad I could help. Now I'll have to cull all these fixes from the next release of my mod, but I was prepared for this. Too bad you never implemented any nice-looking way for modmakers (me) to disable certain hooks, but looking at the changelog, it seems I won't really need it yet (much). Is there any chance you'll still consider it in the future? Drop-in *.mm7.ini files would be quite easy to implement, you'd just need to make iniOverride an array, lower its priority, and the rest is trivial.

I'm also curious about what you did to Earth/Energy attacks. It seems they're unresistable now (element 12)? This can actually make Lincoln much more challenging. I would've expected it to be off by default, knowing your style. But leaving it on is likely a better choice, as it seemed to be NWC's intent.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 22 Dec 2021, 20:58

Tomsod wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:23 Nice! Glad I could help. Now I'll have to cull all these fixes from the next release of my mod, but I was prepared for this. Too bad you never implemented any nice-looking way for modmakers (me) to disable certain hooks, but looking at the changelog, it seems I won't really need it yet (much).
I did add a DisableHook function and tried to add all relevant options to the struct accessed via GetOptions. To get option offsets in that struct use dump(structs.o.PatchOptions) in MMExt console (use current Github version for new options of patch 2.5). You can make the fixes conditional depending on the size of structure returned by GetOptions - on for older versions, off for newer.
Tomsod wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:23Is there any chance you'll still consider it in the future? Drop-in *.mm7.ini files would be quite easy to implement, you'd just need to make iniOverride an array, lower its priority, and the rest is trivial.
Maybe.
Tomsod wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:23I'm also curious about what you did to Earth/Energy attacks. It seems they're unresistable now (element 12)?
Yes, Earth should stay Earth though.
Tomsod wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 15:23This can actually make Lincoln much more challenging. I would've expected it to be off by default, knowing your style. But leaving it on is likely a better choice, as it seemed to be NWC's intent.
Lincoln is a good point. The only fix I can think of RN that I turned off by default is FixMonstersBlockingShots, because I don't know if battle at the end of BDJ's Rev4 mod would be winnable with it on.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 23 Dec 2021, 07:20

GrayFace wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 20:58 I did add a DisableHook function and tried to add all relevant options to the struct accessed via GetOptions.
Oh, sorry! Haven't noticed that. Yeah, it should be enough for me to work with. Thank you!

Also, about Energy attacks: you'll also need to patch ID Monster code so it'll identify element 12 attacks as Energy (right now the attack type isn't displayed at all, and IIRC there isn't an "Energy" string in global.txt anyway), and maybe update the pre-placed monsters like Eric Swarrel (archmage in the School of Sorcery, still attacks with earth). (I think the mega-dragon is also pre-placed?)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Dec 2021, 16:31

Tomsod wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 07:20Also, about Energy attacks: you'll also need to patch ID Monster code so it'll identify element 12 attacks as Energy (right now the attack type isn't displayed at all, and IIRC there isn't an "Energy" string in global.txt anyway), and maybe update the pre-placed monsters like Eric Swarrel (archmage in the School of Sorcery, still attacks with earth). (I think the mega-dragon is also pre-placed?)
Thanks! When it comes to monsters, I'd only fix the Mega-Dragon for now.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Dec 2021, 18:02

Version 2.5.1
<< MM7, MM8 >>
[-] My bug: Energy damage wasn't displayed in identify monster dialog

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Re: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.5.1 [Dec 23, 2021]

Unread postby Tomsod » 24 Dec 2021, 22:04

I'll also comment on condition priorities: their vanilla order makes more sense if you remember that only the "worst" condition is allowed to affect the stats. So poison/fear/insanity/etc. only took effect if it was displayed as the active condition. That's why all non-KO conditions were pushed behind poison and disease in priority -- otherwise becoming e.g. weak or cursed would also effectively "cure" the other effect.

Decoupling display priority from actual priority is, of course, an improvement; the only flaw is that now it's not always obvious why the PC's stats are reduced. On that topic, the game used to display all conditions on a right-click -- not sure if it was a vanilla thing or an early patch feature, but it doesn't seem to work anymore, which may be a bug.

Return to “Might and Magic”