Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Unread postby antipaladin » 09 Aug 2021, 21:11

okay, so i had that delt with, but what do i do with the telelocator?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 09 Aug 2021, 23:28

I... don't remember? You can use it to get "stuff", and I know you do something with it at the conclusion of Verdant's quests. Try casting Town Portal where Escaton's Crystal used to stand.

(Oh, and bring a potion of Water Breathing.)

Cossutius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cossutius » 11 Aug 2021, 00:45

Hi everybody! I`ve encountered a problem in Enroth: I started the game with fave characters, but I can`t hire a stonecutter and a carpenter at the same time in order to take both of them to the temple of Free Haven.

Do I have to travel to Antagarich or Jadame to level up my cleric then? Thanks in advance.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 11 Aug 2021, 06:24

Cossutius wrote:Hi everybody! I`ve encountered a problem in Enroth: I started the game with fave characters, but I can`t hire a stonecutter and a carpenter at the same time in order to take both of them to the temple of Free Haven.

Do I have to travel to Antagarich or Jadame to level up my cleric then? Thanks in advance.
They go to the hireling slots, of which there are four. Your slots are probably full, so you need to click the small head-shaped image on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen and dismiss some hirelings to make them fit.
Last edited by Phobos on 11 Aug 2021, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 12 Aug 2021, 06:09

Brilliant!
Last edited by antipaladin on 12 Aug 2021, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

zealot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby zealot » 13 Aug 2021, 11:53

Rodril wrote:(...)
Vetrinus wrote:-I have beat all three games a while ago (as well as save the goobers) but V is not registering that I beat MM7 and keeps telling me to deliver the Oscillation Overthruster.
Strange. Maybe it was fixed in previous updates. If problem persist, open debug console with ctrl+f1, and execute this with ctrl+enter:

Code: Select all

Party.QBits[738] = true
Verdant should catch you next time you visit Castle Gloaming/Lambent. In two weeks of game time she'll lead you into final part of story.
I'll check cauldrons, epic enemies and bolstering at arena.
Hello, I just bet the MM7 part of the game, and this bug still persits. I use Rodril version of merge. Using the

Code: Select all

Party.QBits[738] = true
helps to solve the problem. On a side note I wanted to thank @cthscr for keeping the project alive, I will surly try your version of the merge when I finish "Rodril-vanilla" run :)

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 15 Aug 2021, 12:11

I hit a crash bug last night in the community branch, that resulted in a corrupt save where the game would crash every time I went into turn-based mode. Luckily, I had a previous save from not far back I could revert to.

It happened in Enroth at the entrance to the Longfang Witherhide dragon cave in Darkmoor. I had just looted from the chest outside two items that I suspect had something to do with the save corruption. One was a sword with +25 to might and some fire damage, and the other was a wand of acid.

I equipped the wand on my sorcerer before entering the cave, so that might have had something to do with it. As soon as I entered the cave and tried to go into turn-based mode, the game crashed. There was no way to stop the crashing upon entering turn-based mode. I traveled elsewhere by coach and by teleportation, and the game crashed upon entering turn-based mode. I also tried unequipping items. Still crashing. That's why I say the save was corrupted.

I loaded my autosave from outside the cave, and the crash save corruption was already there at the entrance to the cave. But I know I had just been in turn-based mode successfully fighting ghosts and skeletons just before looting the chest. That's why I suspect one of the two items was the source of the save corruption.

On my reload, the chest had a shield and some gold. I went into the cave and fought normally, beat the dragon, came out, everything appeared to be fine.

One other bug - in Mist Island, when the assassins and followers of Baa near Newton's castle attack, they aggro the sorcerer guard nearby, and that guard turns hostile to the player. A sorcerer is very difficult to beat at the point in the game the player is likely to go to Mist. I believe there are other cases where guards fighting with monsters near cities aggro against the player as well as the monsters.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

bootluca
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bootluca » 15 Aug 2021, 14:42

Hi everybody,
I've just discovered this beautiful mod and I've been playing it for several hours now, I'm really enjoying it and I've rediscovered the enthusiasm of when I played MMVI 20 years ago! :)
I wanted to point out 2 things:
1) since the interface is a bit different from the original game, (in the original game I curved left or right with the arrow keys and now instead I curve with the mouse), now I can't find the way to manage the NPC hired, I can't see who he it that I hired by mistake and especially I can not get rid of him!
2) I often get stuck in dungeon entrances/exits, whether walking or running the party stops as if there was an invisible wall in front of them, for example the supreme temple of Baa...
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance
Luca

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 15 Aug 2021, 16:51

BMJedi wrote:One other bug - in Mist Island, when the assassins and followers of Baa near Newton's castle attack, they aggro the sorcerer guard nearby, and that guard turns hostile to the player. A sorcerer is very difficult to beat at the point in the game the player is likely to go to Mist. I believe there are other cases where guards fighting with monsters near cities aggro against the player as well as the monsters.
Check your reputation score - if it's significantly negative (and I suspect that it is), guards in Enroth will be hostile to the Party.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 17 Aug 2021, 21:01

bootluca wrote: 1) since the interface is a bit different from the original game, (in the original game I curved left or right with the arrow keys and now instead I curve with the mouse), now I can't find the way to manage the NPC hired, I can't see who he it that I hired by mistake and especially I can not get rid of him!
Press middle button or caps lock.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 17 Aug 2021, 21:08

BMJedi wrote:I hit a crash bug last night in the community branch, that resulted in a corrupt save where the game would crash every time I went into turn-based mode. Luckily, I had a previous save from not far back I could revert to.

It happened in Enroth at the entrance to the Longfang Witherhide dragon cave in Darkmoor. I had just looted from the chest outside two items that I suspect had something to do with the save corruption. One was a sword with +25 to might and some fire damage, and the other was a wand of acid.

I equipped the wand on my sorcerer before entering the cave, so that might have had something to do with it. As soon as I entered the cave and tried to go into turn-based mode, the game crashed. There was no way to stop the crashing upon entering turn-based mode. I traveled elsewhere by coach and by teleportation, and the game crashed upon entering turn-based mode. I also tried unequipping items. Still crashing. That's why I say the save was corrupted.

I loaded my autosave from outside the cave, and the crash save corruption was already there at the entrance to the cave. But I know I had just been in turn-based mode successfully fighting ghosts and skeletons just before looting the chest. That's why I suspect one of the two items was the source of the save corruption.

On my reload, the chest had a shield and some gold. I went into the cave and fought normally, beat the dragon, came out, everything appeared to be fine.
Maybe [or maybe not] you have caught infamous inventory bug [not Merge-specific] which messed up inventory indexes. Briefly, negative slot refers to another negative (or null) slot instead of item index. Fix for GrayFace's patch is expected someday.

Maladrom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Maladrom » 17 Aug 2021, 23:09

Awesome work with this!
I grew up playing MM7 and Heroes 3 and always wanted to try the others, so imagine my joy at finding all three combined!
Bolstering is great for keeping mobs difficult, but should also bolster their loot or exp.
Also not sure if it would be possible to add item bolstering? (ie, extra attack/damage on weapons) Though i'm not sure if that's possible depending how weapon info is saved.

I did encounter a couple of bugs so far tho:

Firstly i couldn't get Nicolai to leave the circus when talking with him (even with no followers), i eventually got around this by messing with script (moved some code to on zone change trigger) but the Entertain Nicolai quest is stuck in my quest log.

Secondly on the cure Silvertongue quest i made the mistake of talking to Silvertongue in freehaven after clearing the Baa temple but before returning the letter to Humphrey at Ironfist, as a result Silvertongue left in the cutscene and the letter is gone, and so I cant complete the find a cure quest in the quest log.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 19 Aug 2021, 15:06

@Raekuul, my reputation was a positive 120 at the time, and was not an issue. The hostile guard also happened with another party I was playing. It's a bug. And it's just this guard, and only while interacting with hostile monsters. I know how to avoid the Baa candelabra problem by simply not doing the quest. And that's less a bug than an incompatibility between MM8 and MM6 reputation systems. That particular incompatibility is a really bad issue, though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 19 Aug 2021, 15:13

bootluca wrote:Hi everybody,
I've just discovered this beautiful mod and I've been playing it for several hours now, I'm really enjoying it and I've rediscovered the enthusiasm of when I played MMVI 20 years ago! :)
I wanted to point out 2 things:
1) since the interface is a bit different from the original game, (in the original game I curved left or right with the arrow keys and now instead I curve with the mouse), now I can't find the way to manage the NPC hired, I can't see who he it that I hired by mistake and especially I can not get rid of him!
2) I often get stuck in dungeon entrances/exits, whether walking or running the party stops as if there was an invisible wall in front of them, for example the supreme temple of Baa...
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance
Luca
On the "invisible wall" problem, that happens at double doors. One side is open, the other side acts as if the door was still closed. You can work around it easily by simply backing up and going through the door on the other side (left or right - the open one is usually on the left). I've seen monsters get stuck on the closed right side, too. There's one in the Goblinwatch keep in New Sorpigal, one in the spider queen's chamber in New Sorpigal, and another in the Temple of Baa in Ironfist. That last one can be deadly if you don't know about it, and you have opened the way for fireballs to be crashing through, and you're trying to get out in a hurry.

BTW - Left side open going in means right side open going out. Be sure to stay oriented on which side is open.
Last edited by BMJedi on 19 Aug 2021, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 21 Aug 2021, 07:50

Hi all, a bit lazy perhaps but all versions of files have changed since original mod and community tweaks, & 340 pages is just too much to trawl through. Any chance of a sticky with up to date files & instructions for vanilla mod & community tweaks?

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 21 Aug 2021, 16:04

Ossie wrote:Hi all, a bit lazy perhaps but all versions of files have changed since original mod and community tweaks, & 340 pages is just too much to trawl through. Any chance of a sticky with up to date files & instructions for vanilla mod & community tweaks?
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

bootluca
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bootluca » 21 Aug 2021, 16:54

cthscr wrote:
bootluca wrote: 1) since the interface is a bit different from the original game, (in the original game I curved left or right with the arrow keys and now instead I curve with the mouse), now I can't find the way to manage the NPC hired, I can't see who he it that I hired by mistake and especially I can not get rid of him!
Press middle button or caps lock.
Thanks a lot!

BMJedi wrote:
bootluca wrote:Hi everybody,
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance
Luca
On the "invisible wall" problem, that happens at double doors. One side is open, the other side acts as if the door was still closed. You can work around it easily by simply backing up and going through the door on the other side (left or right - the open one is usually on the left). I've seen monsters get stuck on the closed right side, too. There's one in the Goblinwatch keep in New Sorpigal, one in the spider queen's chamber in New Sorpigal, and another in the Temple of Baa in Ironfist. That last one can be deadly if you don't know about it, and you have opened the way for fireballs to be crashing through, and you're trying to get out in a hurry.

BTW - Left side open going in means right side open going out. Be sure to stay oriented on which side is open.
I also happened to get stuck inside the iron mines of Snergle in the Land of the Damned. Yes, the double doors could be the problem, but it seems to me that in order to solve it I have to pass exactly in the center of the door and without running, If I move a little to the left or right, the party doesn't go through the door.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 21 Aug 2021, 23:25

Eksekk wrote:
Ossie wrote:Hi all, a bit lazy perhaps but all versions of files have changed since original mod and community tweaks, & 340 pages is just too much to trawl through. Any chance of a sticky with up to date files & instructions for vanilla mod & community tweaks?
Thanks Eksekk. Text of instructions is below. Couple of qns:

[*]I always thought the GrayFace patch was built into the GOG base installations - obviously not?
[*]Apologies if this is completely stupid, but 'Copy GOG version files outside of "Program Files"' - does this simply mean back everything up? Or move them to another specific folder - not clear?
[*]"Choose one of the branches" - no idea what this means, or is it something that will become apparent as part of installing the mods?
[*]"It is STRONGLY recommended to remove Scripts folder first to avoid rogue lua files problem" - this seems to be a separate instruction regardless of branch, or is this something else linked to which "branch" you choose & will become apparent during installation of the mods?

Apologies for dumb questions - thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Install the GOG english version (*) of Might and Magic VIII. Do NOT install GrayFace's patch (**).

Copy GOG version files outside of "Program Files"
Set mm8.exe and mm8setup.exe files compatibility to Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3, otherwise you might end with software rendering / "There aren't any D3D devices to init" error. Setting (or leaving) compatibility to Windows 95 (like GOG does) will cause lags with pathfinder module.

2. Copy Merge pack files into MM8 folder, replacing existing.

4. Choose one of the branches:

It is STRONGLY recommended to remove Scripts folder first to avoid rogue lua files problem.
If you want original mod behavior, use branch rodril-fixes
If you want Community features, use branch comm
If you want most actively developed code, use Revamp (branch master).

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 22 Aug 2021, 05:02

Ossie wrote:
Eksekk wrote:
Thanks Eksekk. Text of instructions is below. Couple of qns:

[*]I always thought the GrayFace patch was built into the GOG base installations - obviously not?
[*]Apologies if this is completely stupid, but 'Copy GOG version files outside of "Program Files"' - does this simply mean back everything up? Or move them to another specific folder - not clear?
[*]"Choose one of the branches" - no idea what this means, or is it something that will become apparent as part of installing the mods?
[*]"It is STRONGLY recommended to remove Scripts folder first to avoid rogue lua files problem" - this seems to be a separate instruction regardless of branch, or is this something else linked to which "branch" you choose & will become apparent during installation of the mods?

Apologies for dumb questions - thanks
OK I think I've figured it out:

* GrayFace patch apparently not in GOG version like I thought
* "Copy GOG version files outside of Program Files" simply means install to a directly not in the Program Files folder?
* "Branch" is simply one of several versions of the mod
* "Remove scripts folder" means delete the scripts folder entirely from the base mod (it's not actually in the GOG version) & copy across entirely from whichever branch you choose?

Thanks

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 22 Aug 2021, 12:31

Ossie wrote:
  1. GrayFace patch apparently not in GOG version like I thought
  2. "Copy GOG version files outside of Program Files" simply means install to a directly not in the Program Files folder?
  3. "Branch" is simply one of several versions of the mod
  4. "Remove scripts folder" means delete the scripts folder entirely from the base mod (it's not actually in the GOG version) & copy across entirely from whichever branch you choose?
1. An older version of GrayFace is supplied with GoG, simply because that was the version of GrayFace available at the time of release. It's definitely not as full-featured and can easily be overwritten with the current version anyway.
2. Correct - Windows likes to lock down what's in Program Files, which causes problems with game mods like MMMerge. If it's not installed to Program Files then you're good to go (though with how complex the MMMerge is, I suggest keeping a backup of the pre-MMMerge MM8 folder anyway)
3. Yep
4. Yep - I don't know the full details myself but if you want to play a branch you need to use that branch's scripts, and deleting the original Scripts folder prevents cross-contamination.
Last edited by raekuul on 22 Aug 2021, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”