Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ocsicnarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Unread postby Ocsicnarf » 27 Jul 2021, 19:18

Hi,

Upon new game and cycling the voices available for Man or Woman, I found voice 30 there is no sound.
Also on for MAN it cycles through a Woman voice: 38.
pics:

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 27 Jul 2021, 20:09

BMJedi wrote:Hello, I started a game in Erathia, and discovered I can't climb hills. Pressing X is supposed to start you climbing, and you should be able to climb a hill. Now it just makes you hop up and down at the bottom. This means I can't access the cave where the Arcomage deck is located, which is a semi-serious problem. Is this a known bug, or is something changed I don't know about?
there is a normal way to this cave too, its a bit longer (beginning in the south part of harmondale)
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 27 Jul 2021, 22:39

Hello, I am playing the Community Branch version, and I just discovered I can hire 4 followers. What is the upper limit on followers in the Community Branch?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Ocsicnarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ocsicnarf » 28 Jul 2021, 16:57

Hello There,

Misty islands Town Hall no bounty "" monster with 0 coins prize

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Jul 2021, 07:26

Ocsicnarf wrote:Upon new game and cycling the voices available for Man or Woman, I found voice 30 there is no sound.
Also on for MAN it cycles through a Woman voice: 38.
30 is a copy of first dragon voice for unknown reason attached to male chars (since at least 2019). MM8 dragons don't have "Choose me" sound.
38 is indeed recently added fail.

ElGaboVantas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ElGaboVantas » 01 Aug 2021, 19:25

Is the mod as well as the game with the grayface patch, compatible with ReShade?

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 01 Aug 2021, 19:59

ElGaboVantas wrote:Is the mod as well as the game with the grayface patch, compatible with ReShade?
since there is nothing rendered in the game, and all is more or less bitmaps from the lod-files - i doubt it would work
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

Eris
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eris » 01 Aug 2021, 23:16

Could the pathfinding part of the mod function outside of the mod itself? And if yes, would it work only on mm8?

uaciaut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby uaciaut » 02 Aug 2021, 07:13

Edit: double-post, apologies, see below
Last edited by uaciaut on 02 Aug 2021, 10:02, edited 2 times in total.

uaciaut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby uaciaut » 02 Aug 2021, 08:17

A few questions since i rediscovered this recently and want to give it a try:

1. I noticed that you can mix and match races and classes now with some restriction (e.g. i tried a vampire sorceror, vampire ability is limited to expert mastery). Is there a list of skill mastery restriciton based on class and race - i'm using community patch but the list i found in the folder seemed to show only classes, without race skills for example.

2. What exactly is the deal with the peasant class? Is it like a base class that i upgrade to another class elsewhere? If so can i do it in any game/map(i.e. can i do it in MM8)?

3. Speaking of which what are the map/game restrictions and how exactly does scaling work (if at all). I understand that at some point you get the option to travel to another map, will monsters scale at any point with your party's level?

4. Also you can only recruit playable characters in MM8, right? As in if you want to start with 1 PC you have to start in Jadame if you want to gain a party of 5, no? Also if you do start with a party of 5 initially, can you dismiss any of them to replace them later in MM8?

5. How do restrictions work for artifacts in the merged edition? I'm guessing the race restrictions (like goblin/dwarf,etc from MM7) stay, but how do the good/evil ones work for MM8 characters? Can i use evil items for lich and good items for priest of the sum without problem, even after i choose a faction in MM7? How can i upgrade my monk in 8?

Thanks in advance! :D

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 02 Aug 2021, 10:39

1) Race Skills are more like adjustments to your class skill progression limits based on race. For example, a Minotaur gets +1 to their Axe mastery cap, so a Minotaur Sorceror can learn the Axe skill and a Minotaur Knight can achieve Grandmastery. There is no unified list, but you should be able to reference the Race Skills table to find out what your caps are. Keep in mind that the adjustments are additive, not substitutive - if both class and race provide the Axe skill, you get the sum of the mastery limits rather than the greater of (see the aforementioned Minotaur Knight with Axe Grandmastery), and the adjustment can and will override promotion requirements (if your class already allows GM in a skill after promotion and the race also grants a bonus to that skill, you no longer need to promote to attain grandmastery)

2) The Peasant class can be upgraded to other classes by talking to expert trainers. If you want to train your peasant as a Knight, for example, you would speak with a Sword trainer. Not all skills have a corresponding class, and (in Enroth at least) not all trainers are able to train in their associated class at this time (specifically, the Armsmaster trainers can't do this right now).

3) Monsters are scaled to relative party power (level is part of that; another part is how many relics you've found) based on the Bolster setting when the map is populated. The bolster setting can be found in Options > Extra Settings.

4) You can either recruit MM8 style or create a full party MM6/7 style. There are plus/minus buttons to that effect on the character creation screen. Keep in mind, you do still need to accept two MM8 NPCs into the party to complete the Jadame storyline, though you're not required to keep/use them (I do so as a matter of personal preference).

5) Characters can be promoted wherever their promotion quests can be found. For a Monk specifically, that is exactly in Antagarich (Harmondale for Initiate, then Harmondale or The Pit for Master/Ninja). I'm not sure how artefact restrictions work since I don't usually use faction-restricted artefacts.
Last edited by raekuul on 02 Aug 2021, 10:50, edited 3 times in total.

uaciaut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby uaciaut » 02 Aug 2021, 11:22

Hey, thank you so much for the answers, a few clarification if you can help me:
raekuul wrote:1) Race Skills are more like adjustments to your class skill progression limits based on race. For example, a Minotaur gets +1 to their Axe mastery cap, so a Minotaur Sorceror can learn the Axe skill and a Minotaur Knight can achieve Grandmastery. There is no unified list, but you should be able to reference the Race Skills table to find out what your caps are. Keep in mind that the adjustments are additive, not substitutive - if both class and race provide the Axe skill, you get the sum of the mastery limits rather than the greater of (see the aforementioned Minotaur Knight with Axe Grandmastery), and the adjustment can and will override promotion requirements (if your class already allows GM in a skill after promotion and the race also grants a bonus to that skill, you no longer need to promote to attain grandmastery)
The race skills table shows, for our example here Minotaurs, "E/1/4/0/1" - how does that translate to? Default is expert axe for minotaurs regardless of class and the numbers are the skill mastery added depending on class or something else? Not sure how the numbers are added.
Also Minotaurs apparently get a bonus to plate as well, does that mean i can make Minotaur paladins that can finally get GM Plate for example?
Vampires get "E/0/4/0/1" - i got to see that vampire sorcerers can get expert vampire for example - are there any combos that let vampires get more than the expert mastery except the default vampire class?
Also does "0/-2/3/0/0" (repair bonus/malus for undead) mean the class receives a mastery downgrade or?

For the record it's great that minotaur isn't a completely garbage class anymore, especially since they can't wear boots and helmets (they still can't, right?)

raekuul wrote:4) You can either recruit MM8 style or create a full party MM6/7 style. There are plus/minus buttons to that effect on the character creation screen. Keep in mind, you do still need to accept two MM8 NPCs into the party to complete the Jadame storyline, though you're not required to keep/use them (I do so as a matter of personal preference).
I'm mostly curious because in later playthroughs i sort of abused the system and rushed for the 2 level 50's you had available at the start (Cauri and Blazen) then rushed through the mainquest with invis/tp and got the other level 50's - some were particularly overtuned (Vetrinus iirc) while some slightly undertuned (the level50 cleric was a bit subpar if i'm not mistaken).

While i'm still tempted to use this for some speed playthroughs the fact that i can make some interesting combinations with races and classes seems like a really great alternative.
raekuul wrote:5) Characters can be promoted wherever their promotion quests can be found. For a Monk specifically, that is exactly in Antagarich (Harmondale for Initiate, then Harmondale or The Pit for Master/Ninja). I'm not sure how artefact restrictions work since I don't usually use faction-restricted artefacts.
Ethric's Staff (MM7, +15 meditation, evil only) is probably what i'm most curious about - most of the others are ignorable; if i side with light in MM7 (though i usually go dark) then go to Jadame/MM8 - will i be able to use it with, say, a lich i recruit there? That's mostly what i'm curious about.

For monks i remember the Master promotion was in Harmondale and the Ninja one in Deija, i suspect i still need to choose between light/dark in the MM7 storyline before i get to be able to choose the tier 2 promotion, right?

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 02 Aug 2021, 17:31

uaciaut wrote:
For the record it's great that minotaur isn't a completely garbage class anymore, especially since they can't wear boots and helmets (they still can't, right?)
well, if you edit "character doll typs.txt" in data/tables accordingly they can

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 02 Aug 2021, 19:19

uaciaut wrote:The race skills table shows, for our example here Minotaurs, "E/1/4/0/1" - how does that translate to? Default is expert axe for minotaurs regardless of class and the numbers are the skill mastery added depending on class or something else? Not sure how the numbers are added.
Also does "0/-2/3/0/0" (repair bonus/malus for undead) mean the class receives a mastery downgrade or?
Vampires get "E/0/4/0/1" - i got to see that vampire sorcerers can get expert vampire for example - are there any combos that let vampires get more than the expert mastery except the default vampire class?
I have not played around with it very thoroughly; So I tested with a "Minotaur Cleric of the Light" and got this as a result which should be patently impossible but also tells me that the 2nd number (the 4) is the bonus to mastery limits and the last number (the second 1) is the rank at which the skill starts at character creation (to facilitate adding Delf/Vamp/Drake skills to other classes). I'm not sure what the other numbers or the E means.
Also Minotaurs apparently get a bonus to plate as well, does that mean i can make Minotaur paladins that can finally get GM Plate for example?
I'm just glad to have knights that can get Grandmaster Axe (even if GM Axe's effect may or may not still be busted). It's clearly the best of the weapons with damage bonuses since it also gets a recovery bonus. I'm not sure which new minotaur equips are on/off the table; I think Minotaurs with Hats is planned at the very least?
I'm mostly curious because in later playthroughs i sort of abused the system and rushed for the 2 level 50's you had available at the start (Cauri and Blazen) then rushed through the mainquest with invis/tp and got the other level 50's - some were particularly overtuned (Vetrinus iirc) while some slightly undertuned (the level50 cleric was a bit subpar if i'm not mistaken). While i'm still tempted to use this for some speed playthroughs the fact that i can make some interesting combinations with races and classes seems like a really great alternative.
Do as you like; it's average party level though so if you make a beeline for Cauri and Blazen your bolster effect will shoot way up (and keep in mind, Bolster does not affect EXP/Gold rewards)
Ethric's Staff (MM7, +15 meditation, evil only) is probably what i'm most curious about - most of the others are ignorable; if i side with light in MM7 (though i usually go dark) then go to Jadame/MM8 - will i be able to use it with, say, a lich i recruit there? That's mostly what i'm curious about. For monks i remember the Master promotion was in Harmondale and the Ninja one in Deija, i suspect i still need to choose between light/dark in the MM7 storyline before i get to be able to choose the tier 2 promotion, right?
For the weapons, MM8 supports class-based restrictions so it might already be taken care of. For the split promotion quests, I'm... not actually sure? I haven't messed with it, since you can pick the two most important ones in Enroth with a little investigation (the Light/Dark trainers in Enroth give you the option to commit to studying their respective paths without influencing The Choice in Antagarich). The 2nd promotions in Celeste/The Pit definitely require The Choice simply because those connections aren't active until afterwards,

uaciaut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby uaciaut » 02 Aug 2021, 21:47

raekuul wrote:I have not played around with it very thoroughly; So I tested with a "Minotaur Cleric of the Light" and got this as a result which should be patently impossible but also tells me that the 2nd number (the 4) is the bonus to mastery limits and the last number (the second 1) is the rank at which the skill starts at character creation (to facilitate adding Delf/Vamp/Drake skills to other classes). I'm not sure what the other numbers or the E means.
I tried starting a game with a Minotaur Palladin, at least without any promotion it showed that i couldn't go any higher than Master with Axe - which would fall in line with the whole +1 mastery level from race condition given that Pallys were previously limited to Axe Expert.

raekuul wrote:I'm just glad to have knights that can get Grandmaster Axe (even if GM Axe's effect may or may not still be busted). It's clearly the best of the weapons with damage bonuses since it also gets a recovery bonus. I'm not sure which new minotaur equips are on/off the table; I think Minotaurs with Hats is planned at the very least?
Spears do attack bonus+damage, swords attack bonus + recovery time. Provided that stacking the bonuses too high doesn't break it axe might be a better alternative to spears hmm. I mean i don't think any axe is as good as SpiritSlayer but still.

By the way i may have encountered a wee error:

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 02 Aug 2021, 23:34

Every weapon does Attack Bonus from Novice rank; Sword gets recovery/handedness/armor while Spear gets Damage/handedness/Armor. Axe gets Recovery/Damage/Chance to halve target armor; probably the strongest combo to test is Axe/Sword

The Merchant reduction is probably because of the race change to Lich; was the character a Human before?
Last edited by raekuul on 02 Aug 2021, 23:37, edited 3 times in total.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 03 Aug 2021, 04:25

Hello; and greetings from a Linux user.

Well, ¡HELP!
I'm currently trying to run MMMerge (not the community branch, just the main one) on this year's Ubuntu 21.04 ("Hirsute Hippo"), but unfortunately I seem to have reached a likely dead end for this new kind of entertainment... That is, in comparison to the easiness of running the mod on previous years on older Ubuntu distros (including 20.04 LTS).

I still don't know exactly what's going on, but this might be an interesting issue to investigate anyways...
¿Who knows? ¿Maybe MMMerge, with its later updates, is no longer playable on GNU/Linux? ¿Have anyone succeeded? ¿Or is it just because of this new distro?

So:
I've tried to play MMMerge in Lutris, then in PlayOnLinux; but none of these apps responded properly (as it usually did for me, at least on the last years, wether for playing MM8, MM7, MM6, or even MMMerge), even though in the latter app (PlayOnLinux) I've managed to test out several Wine versions (even according to WineHQ references); all failed miserably to run the MMMerge. I'm not really savvy in this stuff, but let's say I've got enough background to know there COULD be something really nasty going on --but I hope not and that it is just a couple of basic missteps from my part.

What I've noticed so far is that, no matter which Wine version I've tried, I was totally unable to run the game from the mm8.exe (the file copied from the MMMerge unzipped folders), while the remaining MM8.exe (the file from original MM8, not overriden because of Linux feature) was enabling me, at least, to play --I don't know if 100% perfectly though-- MM8 without MMMerge (despite all the copied/merged/ovewritten MMMerge installation process). This is very frustrating. ¿Is there any hope for an easy solution to run this mod on this distro (or at least in another one)?

Thanks.
Last edited by Kinox on 03 Aug 2021, 04:35, edited 2 times in total.

uaciaut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby uaciaut » 03 Aug 2021, 06:05

raekuul wrote:Every weapon does Attack Bonus from Novice rank; Sword gets recovery/handedness/armor while Spear gets Damage/handedness/Armor. Axe gets Recovery/Damage/Chance to halve target armor; probably the strongest combo to test is Axe/Sword
Yeah, axe is probably better than spear for mainhand.
raekuul wrote: The Merchant reduction is probably because of the race change to Lich; was the character a Human before?
Vetrinus is a recruitable lich in MM8 - guess you can argue that he was human before lich hence that's how he got expert merchant.

Any alchemy mixing guide/list for the merged version around? I can't find any in the original list.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 03 Aug 2021, 21:36

¡SOLVED! :yes:

Apparently, it just required to use Wine version 3.4 or 3.0, BUT for some graphical reason there is need to run with an UNCHECKED checkbox of the Emulate a virtual desktop option in Graphics tab in Wine configuration. I have tried (with the checkbox checked) a few 4:3 and 16:9 proportionated resolutions, but it seems the problem has been really related to that checkbox. I guess this has to do with manipulation of the resolution of the engine, since this checkbox usually works for me whenever playing MM6-8.

I hope this might be helpful to other GNU/Linux players.

PS: Maybe this isn't relevant at all, but it's true that today, just prior to discovering the checbox problem, I've made these Wine (re)installation steps from this link:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
The fact is that, even with these steps, I still had to uncheck the checkbox I am telling about in order to succeed.

PS2: And here is where I found the first reference to Wine version 3.0 --not an easy one, ¡since it didn't tell anything about MMMerge! 8|
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... gId=101146

PS3: Now that I've got the checkbox unchecked, I've just made a small test/revision on many of the other Wine versions I have been testing on this whole issue... My current results show that most the Wine versions that are indicated on WineHQ site relating to Might and Magic VIII DON'T WORK with current MMMerge version. So this seems to be very relevant information.
Kinox wrote:Hello; and greetings from a Linux user.

Well, ¡HELP!
I'm currently trying to run MMMerge (not the community branch, just the main one) on this year's Ubuntu 21.04 ("Hirsute Hippo"), but unfortunately I seem to have reached a likely dead end for this new kind of entertainment... That is, in comparison to the easiness of running the mod on previous years on older Ubuntu distros (including 20.04 LTS).

I still don't know exactly what's going on, but this might be an interesting issue to investigate anyways...
¿Who knows? ¿Maybe MMMerge, with its later updates, is no longer playable on GNU/Linux? ¿Have anyone succeeded? ¿Or is it just because of this new distro?

So:
I've tried to play MMMerge in Lutris, then in PlayOnLinux; but none of these apps responded properly (as it usually did for me, at least on the last years, wether for playing MM8, MM7, MM6, or even MMMerge), even though in the latter app (PlayOnLinux) I've managed to test out several Wine versions (even according to WineHQ references); all failed miserably to run the MMMerge. I'm not really savvy in this stuff, but let's say I've got enough background to know there COULD be something really nasty going on --but I hope not and that it is just a couple of basic missteps from my part.

What I've noticed so far is that, no matter which Wine version I've tried, I was totally unable to run the game from the mm8.exe (the file copied from the MMMerge unzipped folders), while the remaining MM8.exe (the file from original MM8, not overriden because of Linux feature) was enabling me, at least, to play --I don't know if 100% perfectly though-- MM8 without MMMerge (despite all the copied/merged/ovewritten MMMerge installation process). This is very frustrating. ¿Is there any hope for an easy solution to run this mod on this distro (or at least in another one)?

Thanks.
Last edited by Kinox on 03 Aug 2021, 22:06, edited 6 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 04 Aug 2021, 05:31

raekuul wrote:
uaciaut wrote:The race skills table shows, for our example here Minotaurs, "E/1/4/0/1" - how does that translate to? Default is expert axe for minotaurs regardless of class and the numbers are the skill mastery added depending on class or something else? Not sure how the numbers are added.
I have not played around with it very thoroughly; So I tested with a "Minotaur Cleric of the Light" and got this as a result which should be patently impossible but also tells me that the 2nd number (the 4) is the bonus to mastery limits and the last number (the second 1) is the rank at which the skill starts at character creation (to facilitate adding Delf/Vamp/Drake skills to other classes). I'm not sure what the other numbers or the E means.
Maybe this will help a bit: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... ace-Skills

Return to “Might and Magic”