Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 03.06.2021]

Unread postby cthscr » 11 Jun 2021, 08:19

raekuul wrote:E2: Got a skill training bug - Necromancer > Lich doesn't seem to count as far as getting Expert Repair
Lich doesn't have it in neither Base nor Comm Merge. Master Necromancer (technically you may call him non-undead Lich) has it in Comm as well as in Base.

Sabreas85
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sabreas85 » 11 Jun 2021, 13:30

I would need some help.
The textures of my game seem to be still 640x480, can i change this in some way ??

https://imgur.com/y4UJ8F9

Eversmile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eversmile » 11 Jun 2021, 14:20

I'm having an issue; I cleanly install and it runs fine, but if I use the Race Skills.txt from the RaceSkillsAlternate folder in the community mods the game keeps throwing exceptions invoking the debugger menu. What am I doing wrong, please? I would like M&M7 style party stats but with minotaurs etc.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 11 Jun 2021, 15:26

raekuul wrote:
EDIT: Yeah so apparently my raw MM8 was pre-patched and that was screwing up my attempts at switching over to community. Doing a fresh setup fixed basically everything (except my -3080 reputation)
actually you can use cheatengine to get rid of the -minus rep.
write up the minus rep
open cheatengine with mm8.exe, first scan that value
do 1x spending at the temple, note the new minus rep - next scan the new value
repeat until you got the adress and write it 0
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 11 Jun 2021, 19:16

justl wrote:
raekuul wrote:EDIT: Yeah so apparently my raw MM8 was pre-patched and that was screwing up my attempts at switching over to community. Doing a fresh setup fixed basically everything (except my -3080 reputation)
actually you can use cheatengine to get rid of the -minus rep.
I'm trying not to resort to Cheat Engine for stuff like that (if anything I'll just use CE to give me infinite gold since that's the main thing that having massive negative rep affects at this point), and it was "only" a few trips back and forth between New Sorpigal and Dragonsand to fix anyway.

It's really just more griping about how so much commerce is impacted by reputation (and the fact that MM6's reputation rewards are still orders of magnitude larger than MM7/8's). Ideally the exploity way to do this is to run Enroth early and up to Tanir's Bell (leaving before de-petrifying Archibald), then save the rest until after clearing MM7/8 to abuse the reputation effects (even if they only apply to Enroth, that's still going to make it the most efficient place money-wise to do much of anything)
Last edited by raekuul on 11 Jun 2021, 19:18, edited 3 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jun 2021, 21:25

I've noticed another weird issue. After starting a new Antagarich party, I'm receiving what appears to be a double bonus to magic skills from the Ghost Ring and Faerie Ring on my Druid. He's not wearing any other magic boosting stuff and he's getting a bonus of 4 to Spirit Magic (skill at 4) from just the Ghost Ring, and a bonus of 8 to Air Magic (skill at 7, strangely enough). Looks like the algorythm for the bonuses got inverted somehow, no idea why. Not having this problem with my other save Jadame party.

EDIT: Also, light guild membership on Antagarich doesn't seem to be working as intended, since you should only have it after completing the test mission, and you have it before that. Perhaps the way guild memberships work should be checked again and fixed per continent (need to get it separately in Erathia and Enroth).

BTW I'll be taking another pass at the crowns, since it looks like more of them need their sprite position adjusted. I'll take a look at all of them and fix it if need be.

I also checked what's wrong with the Cure Paralysis potion recipe. Turns out you can indeed get a notification sparkle while mixing both, but one of them is not present in the recipe list anyway. No idea why that would be.
Last edited by Xfing on 12 Jun 2021, 22:08, edited 3 times in total.

arabezzz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arabezzz » 12 Jun 2021, 19:32

Hi guys, thank you for your impossible and incredible work! I'm SO HAPPY to play this again! But:

I don't understand Verdant quest :(

I started from MM6; first, I met her in New Sorpigal, she gave me black perl and quest 'find a locator from dwarves' (not sure how it calls in original version as I'm playing russian localization; btw there is a localization mistake, it says 'Find it from Alwar dwarves").

Then, I get a letter "let's meet in Dragon Sand'. Okay, I go to Dragon Sand and nothing happens, no one waits me, I speak to Verdant and she tells nothing special

I find book for teleportation between continents, travel to Erathia, find locator in Stone City, speak with Verdant - nothing happens, no cues about it from her.

Where am I wrong?

P.S. I thought it will be possible, like, constantly travel between continents, not like - reach level 60 in Enroth and after that you're allowed to go to Emerald Island and fight the dragonflies (

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 12 Jun 2021, 20:54

arabezzz wrote:Hi guys, thank you for your impossible and incredible work! I'm SO HAPPY to play this again! But:

I don't understand Verdant quest :(
This is mostly a list of fetch quests. You will be told what your current fetch quest is in the quest journal. After they are all done, you'll have access to a new, unique location and have to do a quest there too.
P.S. I thought it will be possible, like, constantly travel between continents, not like - reach level 60 in Enroth and after that you're allowed to go to Emerald Island and fight the dragonflies (
Turn on monster bolstering, it should equal out the challenge.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 13 Jun 2021, 04:14

Hey! Sooo I've taken care of the crowns this time, seeing as they were pretty bad before.
- Repainted all six generic crowns - three from mm6 and mm7 for all 4 types of paperdolls that can wear them. Haven't touched the mino version though because I'm an arse hole like that. Check out the changes in the image:
https://imgur.com/PlIPWFI
- The files are up in the same folder where I had put the belt repaints before:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
You need to dump them into your mmmerge.icons.lod file and the table file into your Data/Tables folder.
- The two unique MM6 crowns used different files (even though identical), these have been updated as well. As for the orientation, it's 1 and 2 pixels lower than the generic Almighty Crown to make the uniques distinguishable.
- I've also realized that the Almighty Crown from MM6 had the same flavor text as the Regal Crown from MM7 (now called Royal Crown because the 2nd crown from MM6 is already called Regal), so I gave the crown from the newer game different flavor text. Don't worry, it's pretty cool:
The change is in ITEMS.txt, which has once again been updated to its previous location. I'm also reminding that I've made several other minor changes to it in the meantime, so Rodril pls consider this in your next update.

Enjoy the stuff
Last edited by Xfing on 13 Jun 2021, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 13 Jun 2021, 12:47

arabezzz wrote:Then, I get a letter "let's meet in Dragon Sand'. Okay, I go to Dragon Sand and nothing happens, no one waits me, I speak to Verdant and she tells nothing special
I find book for teleportation between continents, travel to Erathia, find locator in Stone City, speak with Verdant - nothing happens, no cues about it from her.
Where am I wrong?
Read the link in my signature for more details, but in summary: cast Town Portal when you see the message "you sense a high magic presence here". The specific spot in Dragonsand is over the pool of water in the Abdul's Discount Resort area (where the pedestel for Twillen's quest is)
Either one works, but I would suggest pushing for Grandmaster Water Magic first either way so that you can exit the other games just as easily as enter them.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 13 Jun 2021, 15:55

hi,

some pages back i wrote i couldnt find that sea terror in tularean forest ... found it now in a flyby in the hills there..
can it somehow be arranged that waterbased creatures spawn either in the water?
OR if the map has no water there will be a check before giving out the bounty to the party, so that cant happen?

and a suggestion for the diverse logs (quest, obelisks, etc.) - could they be clearly seperated in the logbook? atm you dont know where the (quest-)block from one continent ends, and where another one begins - no must have atm, just a nice to have for the future.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

arabezzz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arabezzz » 13 Jun 2021, 19:36

raekuul wrote:Read the link in my signature for more details, but in summary: cast Town Portal when you see the message "you sense a high magic presence here". The specific spot in Dragonsand is over the pool of water in the Abdul's Discount Resort area (where the pedestel for Twillen's quest is)

Either one works, but I would suggest pushing for Grandmaster Water Magic first either way so that you can exit the other games just as easily as enter them.
Thank you very much! Oh my, am I the only so stupid gamer :-D

wedge5096
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wedge5096 » 14 Jun 2021, 07:04

I ran into a problem that might be my fault, or it might be a bug, and I was hoping there might be a way for me to fix it:

I looted the Lost Book of Khel and one Lich Jar (both were in the inventory of the only Necromancer in my party) for the Necromancer to Lich promotion quest on Jadame (which I had not left at all by that point), and when I went to turn in the quest to Vetrinus Taleshire, he promoted my Necromancer to Lich (consuming the Lich Jar), but he did not take the Lost Book of Khel from me, and the quest was still in my quest log. Also, Ventrinus did not offer the option to join me.

I did search Google and this thread to see if I could find this mentioned as a bug, and I found a somewhat similar bug in the "Pure Stats" potion quests on Jadame and a (probably) different bug regarding Necromancer promotion, but I couldn't find anything that closely resembles my issue.

Is this a known bug, or is it more likely I screwed something up? If it's a known bug, will there be a way to fix it in-game (without restarting) after a patch is released?

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited to add:

I'm using Game Files v. 03.06.2021 plus the optional Community Files for that version (I checked the readme in community files zip archive to be sure I got the correct version for the Game Files I was using). I haven't tried to mess with my installation or my save file, and my MM8 installation was fresh (GOG version) when I installed v. 03.06.2021; I did not upgrade from a previous version of the merge.
Last edited by wedge5096 on 14 Jun 2021, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 14 Jun 2021, 08:26

Suggestion: Since there are very few Phoenixes in MM8, what do you think about adding their spawns to the Castle of Fire? The Castle only has fire elementals and nothing else, so it might be a good place to add them. Outdoors in the Plane of Fire is a no-go, since it'd exceed the three monster rule (it already has fire elementals, salamanders and efreeti). The 2 or 3 phoenixes you get in the War Camp if you're lucky is pretty ridiculous for such an interesting creature, not to mention there should be a more reliable way to get Phoenix Feathers in the game, other than finding them in high level chests or shops.

MM8 has generally had the problem of not featuring certain monsters (like the green and red variations of the dark elf warrior or Balthazar Lair minotaurs), but phoenixes are definitely the biggest offender. But the castle of fire looks like a decent way to resolve the issue of them being missing - either that or find a way around the three monster type rule outdoors and add them roaming the Plane of Fire. But that would be opening a whole can of worms - if phoenixes were added that way, then there could be many more monsters that could be added the same way, like MM7 manticores for example. So to keep things simple I'd suggest the Castle of Fire. But if the castle feels a bit too cramped, they could actually be added to the outdoor Plain of Fire proper, while putting one of the other creatures in the Castle instead, like the salamanders or efreets. Efreets would work better with the castle geometry due to their hovering movement style, and that could make room for some phoenixes flying around outdoors.
Last edited by Xfing on 14 Jun 2021, 08:35, edited 2 times in total.

keksua
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby keksua » 14 Jun 2021, 14:23

Hi guys, I cannot finish mm7 part- game says I have no skill required for wetsuit on one of my characters.. Others can wear them.. does someone know how to fix this?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 14 Jun 2021, 19:39

which character isn't wearing the wetsuit?

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 14 Jun 2021, 21:15

hi,

i did do the "win acromage at all taverns"-quest in mm7.
opened the chest in steadwick - but only got the elfen chain mail and elfbane as a reward - the other things like 100000 gold, Mind's Eye, Forge Gauntlets and some of the very good ores were not in there.
bug or feature? (havent found them artifacts/relics anywhere else in the game too - not with dragons etc.)

justl

edit: this chest always had fixed content in it - maybe it was bugged up with the tier-redesign of the chests?
cause i also got a bit of low level crap in it, when opening after winning the championship
Last edited by justl on 15 Jun 2021, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 14 Jun 2021, 22:04

Hareck's Leather gives a +5 bonus to Unarmed, rather than Stealing like it says. Now that Stealing is again implemented, this probably can be reverted.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 15 Jun 2021, 07:37

hi,

the alchemist ship in silver cove (mm6) aint supposed to sell weapons? maybe those clubs are categorised false?

mm7:
justl wrote:
joanthedark wrote: I remember an issue with double-clicking Town Portal on the spellbook and the next screen (dimension door) would also register the click, instantly teleporting you to one location (which in your case seems to be Enroth)
can confirm that ... you have to click reaaaaally slow to avoid that
town portal in mm7 is a bit wonky too - even outside of high magic spots - the position of the spell in the magic book is on almost the same position with the icon of the pit (when you reached that progression in mm7) - so it can happen, that you automatically land in the pit instead of where you wanted to go

justl

edit:

walls of mist (mm7):
the chest at the back entrance has empty lich jars inside - that aint supposed to happen when you play the light side (which i chose at this playthrough).
but it will happen when you play dark side and have to get them from there - bug or feature or cause of the new promotion ways implemented?

edit2:
Invisibility
encountered at the wom - the char portraits all have whites in it, when they are invisible - grafics error or sprite error?
Last edited by justl on 15 Jun 2021, 08:13, edited 2 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 15 Jun 2021, 13:30

hi,

one vanilla mm7 bug that still exists - maze in nighon:

one chaos hydra (the biggest one) squeezing a through a tunnel and becoming invisible but not impassable - you still have to kill it and also cant reach the hydras behind it cause spells (only non-area-of-effect ones) going into it

corpse is of course not lootable, its invisible there

justl

Return to “Might and Magic”