Might and Magic VII - change class skills

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
szamanek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic VII - change class skills

Unread postby szamanek » 16 May 2021, 18:59

Welcome and sorry if this kind of thread is somewhere here... did a little search a and didn't find anything with my problem.

I like to change some class skills eq: Learn clerics to wield swords, paladins to learn GM light magic etc...

I'm aware of some kind skill table here.. ( https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/7099 ) but my windows 10 says i can't run this program. So for me the only solution is mm7che. But i'm felling like im cheating this way, also i tried via MMarchive to find in the games files some kind of "file" with skills to change but no luck, the funny thing is that MM8 has that kind of file but not MM7.

So.. there is some solution for me problem or just i have to stick to the mm7che?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Might and Magic VII - change class skills

Unread postby Anubis » 19 May 2021, 06:02

Download Grayface's MM7 Patch here: https://grayface.github.io/mm/#GrayFace-MM7-Patch

Download TextEdit here: https://grayface.github.io/mm/#Txt-Edit

After installing GrayFace's MM7 patch and running the game at least once, go to your MM7 folder & go to /data/Tables/

You can edit the text files in there (Use the TextEdit program!) There's a text file related to class skills.

If you have any follow-up questions, let us know!
Last edited by Anubis on 19 May 2021, 06:03, edited 2 times in total.

szamanek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby szamanek » 19 May 2021, 19:12

Thank You Anubis for the reply...

Forgot to mention that i play on GreyFace patch, and still i don't have the "../Tables/.. folder in my data folder.

This is how my MM7 "data" folder look like.
https://ibb.co/NrfY2wG

Edit:
The "class skill".txt file there is from MM8. I thought that it will help, if i change the classes names from mm8 to 7 but no luck...

Did a search of those files with MMextansion and no such luck finding any file ralated to the skills class...
Last edited by szamanek on 19 May 2021, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 21 May 2021, 05:56

Whoops, I made a mistake.

Download MMExtension v2.2 from here. Drop the files in your MM7 folder and then run the game at least once:

https://grayface.github.io/mm/ext/

After doing that, the "tables" folder should show up
Last edited by Anubis on 21 May 2021, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

szamanek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby szamanek » 23 May 2021, 12:32

Thank You Anubis for your help.. It has done the trick. I have manage to add new skills to diffrent classes.

I dicided also to modefied enemies, to give them x2 health points... So i change the monsters.txt (via txtedit) in files Events.lod and 00 patch.events. It seems to work but not for all monsters.. eg: trolls/dragonfiles have the desired HP that i wanted, but griffens/harpy/dragons not.. do i have to mod some others file too?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 30 May 2021, 09:48

I have no idea. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

The only thing I can think of is that you have to start a brand new game after making changes like that or it doesn't get applied? I haven't done much tinkering with monsters in MM7 at all.

shpadoinkle
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby shpadoinkle » 30 May 2021, 23:20

I think the data from monsters.txt gets used when the map gets populated, so if you already visited some place and saved the game, you won't see the changes until the next map refresh, but you will see the changes on maps you visited for the first time after editing the file.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 12 Jun 2021, 23:20

Yep. In addition to that, monsters manually placed by the level designers (e.g. town guards) don't read their stats from monsters.txt, so if you want to update their stats, you have to patch the level files directly, which is complicated.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 22 Jun 2021, 13:39

Tomsod wrote:In addition to that, monsters manually placed by the level designers (e.g. town guards) don't read their stats from monsters.txt, so if you want to update their stats, you have to patch the level files directly, which is complicated.
To me it looks like placed monsters can have different parameters set to some value or unset. In latter case they used values from Monsters.txt.
GrayFace's MMEditor is helpful for editing levels and placed monsters (and their parameters) as well.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 22 Jun 2021, 17:34

cthscr wrote:To me it looks like placed monsters can have different parameters set to some value or unset. In latter case they used values from Monsters.txt.
Nope, if you just change monsters.txt, none of the placed monsters will update. While most of their parameters are the same as in the monsters.txt, they're copies, not references. This is most evident in Maestro Mod, which boosted HP of many monsters. For spawned monsters there, HP is boosted, but for pre-placed ones, it's the same as in vanilla. I encountered this issue when making my own mod, and ended up hacking up some perl scripts to update placed monsters automatically. Although, I won't be surprised if MMEditor also has the ability to update placed monsters when monsters.txt changes.

Return to “Might and Magic”