Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
wedge5096
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 03.06.2021]

Unread postby wedge5096 » 06 Jun 2021, 05:10

I noticed that even if I start with only one character, I can dismiss that character after I hire another character. I also read in this thread that dismissed characters will eventually disappear from the Adventure's Inn if they are not re-hired after a certain period of in-game time.

Two questions:

1) Will the character(s) I start with ever disappear from the Adventurer's Inn the way randomly generated hire-able NPCs do, or will they stick around forever, even if they're dead/stoned/eradicated/etc?

2) Will the game periodically generate "new" hire-able NPCs to add to my party over the course of the game, in case I "run out" of party members later in the game because too many of the hire-able NPCs available at the start of the game have disappeared?

I did search the forums looking for the answers to these questions and I couldn't find them - it's a long thread - I apologize if my question is redundant.

I also just want to say that the MM678 merge is absolutely awesome and I'm very grateful to all the people that put it together. I played all three games as a young teenager (but never actually finished any of them), and now, as a more patient adult in my 30s, I am excited to enjoy them in a far superior format. Kudos to everyone who helped make this happen!

naviris
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby naviris » 06 Jun 2021, 05:32

I am getting this error now every time I try to rest or let time past after finishing the Werewolf Lair. It started before actually turning the quests in.

Code: Select all

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
D:\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua:374: array index (211110978) out of bounds [1, 138]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
	D:\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua:374: in function 'StoreEffects'
	D:\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua:146: in function 'v'
	Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of '__index':
	t = (table: 0x05aa6278)
	a = 211110978
	v = nil

local variables of '__index':
	aorig = 211110978
	a1 = 12014764
	n = 138

upvalues of '__index':
	ptr = nil
	u4 = (table: 0x03e30e18)
	GetPtr = (function: 0x0349afd8)
	obj = (table: 0x0667c060)
	o = 1192
	assertnum = (function: 0x03e7b568)
	error = (function: 0x03498950)
	type = (function: builtin#3)
	SetLen = nil
	low = 1
	GetLen = (function: 0x05a886b0)
	lenP = nil
	lenA = nil
	count = 138
	size = 36
	_index = nil
	_newindex = nil
	tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
	beyondLen = nil
	f = (function: 0x05a8cc98)
	format = (function: builtin#91)
	sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
	tostring = (function: builtin#18)
	tostring2 = (function: 0x03e7d420)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
Any help would be appreciated because I am loving this mod. Thanks.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 11.05.2021]

Unread postby Rodril » 06 Jun 2021, 08:00

justl wrote:game still crashing hard in the hive with this error:
I cannot reproduce this error, nor figure out it's reason, could you send me your savegame? Maybe answer will be there.
rampage77t wrote:After a while I played again now that this new patch came out, but now all the themes of the maps and dungeons that I configured are not there, I did the same procedure of using mmarchive and txtedit but the themes do not change, some solution?. I thank you in advance
Now you have to put edited MapStats.txt into "mmmerge.T.lod" aswell. Do you correct tracks according to original games, or adding your own? If just correcting - send MapStats.txt to me, so i can include it in base files.
Xfing wrote:As a side note: what determines the shot of the monster when right clicking it? Here's a comparison of the MM7 and MM8 wyverns, apart from the palette swap you will notice that hte MM8 shot better encapsulates the entire body of the wyvern and the MM7 shot cuts off the lower part:
I've never checked it, wil try to find out.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 06 Jun 2021, 12:23

Rodril wrote:
I cannot reproduce this error, nor figure out it's reason, could you send me your savegame? Maybe answer will be there.
thx, that would have been my next question either, if to send it or not :9

here you go:

https://filehorst.de/d/dAerzbdH
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 06 Jun 2021, 12:40

I can't run the newest version, I get an error at startup:

EDIT: WORKS FINE NOW AFTER REINSTALLING ON FRESH GAME FILES. NOT AN ISSUE ANYMORE.

stack traceback:
C:\World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\18_MergeFunctions.lua:71: in function 'dofile'
Scripts\Core\main.lua:476: in main chunk

local variables of 'dofile':
LogId = "MergeFunctions"
Log = (function: 0x0457fe88)
MF = nil
memcall = (function: 0x04539c40)
u4 = (table: 0x0453c188)
max = (function: builtin#62)
table_filter = (function: 0x044920b8)
table_isempty = (function: 0x04492d38)
get_player_from_ptr = (function: 0x044920f8)
(*temporary) = 2
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = 3669
(*temporary) = 3668
(*temporary) = ""
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = (table: 0x045472c8)
(*temporary) = -1
(*temporary) = -1
(*temporary) = "attempt to index local 'MF' (a nil value)"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Last edited by Phobos on 06 Jun 2021, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jun 2021, 12:49

wedge5096 wrote: 1) Will the character(s) I start with ever disappear from the Adventurer's Inn the way randomly generated hire-able NPCs do, or will they stick around forever, even if they're dead/stoned/eradicated/etc?

2) Will the game periodically generate "new" hire-able NPCs to add to my party over the course of the game, in case I "run out" of party members later in the game because too many of the hire-able NPCs available at the start of the game have disappeared?
Hey mate,

1) I haven't tried dismissing the 1st char (which you can only do at the Inn and not during your travels, strangely), but most chars I've ever hired don't really disappear either, even those random ones. You might get that impression because the 3 continents keep 3 separate character lists which differ from each other. The MM8 characters you hire from houses will be mostly the same, though Enroth won't have some of them for some reason, and after that it's the continent where you dismiss the character that'll keep it. I don't think I've seen one disappear from not being hired a long enough time, though.

2) Yes, all the time. You get both peasants that you can hire and turn into a class all the time (though they'll start out at level 1), and new, scaled chars from training centers and occasionally taverns I believe. Training centers for sure though. Those will come in a random class, sometimes even promoted to the class you can't normally have in MM7 due to having chosen the other path. When you're like level 200 though, the chars you find there won't have nearly as developed skills as they should when you find them there, and only around 900-something skill points to distribute.

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 06 Jun 2021, 17:35

Rodril wrote:
rampage77t wrote:After a while I played again now that this new patch came out, but now all the themes of the maps and dungeons that I configured are not there, I did the same procedure of using mmarchive and txtedit but the themes do not change, some solution?. I thank you in advance
Now you have to put edited MapStats.txt into "mmmerge.T.lod" aswell. Do you correct tracks according to original games, or adding your own? If just correcting - send MapStats.txt to me, so i can include it in base files.
Xfing wrote:As a side note: what determines the shot of the monster when right clicking it? Here's a comparison of the MM7 and MM8 wyverns, apart from the palette swap you will notice that hte MM8 shot better encapsulates the entire body of the wyvern and the MM7 shot cuts off the lower part:
I've never checked it, wil try to find out.
Thank you very much, I had configured so that each map and dungeon has a different track, using the original tracks and tracks from the other heroes of might and magic and mm9 games, I can upload the tracks and the configured mapstats.txt file if any is interested

EDIT: Now if you want me to configure the original tracks to match the way they were in their respective games I can do it too, I thought it was already configured that way
Last edited by rampage77t on 06 Jun 2021, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 06 Jun 2021, 18:05

Hooray for doing what I'm supposed to be doing

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 06 Jun 2021, 18:58

justl wrote:here you go:
I think i've found it. Put this file into your "Scripts\Modules" folder, replacing existing, issue should be fixed.
naviris wrote:I am getting this error now every time I try to rest or let time past after finishing the Werewolf Lair. It started before actually turning the quests in.
Seems that have not been fixed in community version yet, currently you have to fix this bug manually: press ctrl+f1 top open debug console, paste code there:

for _,p in Party do
	for i,v in p.EquippedItems do
		if v > p.Items.limit then
			p.EquippedItems[i] = 0
			print("Item removed:", v)
		end
	end
end
press ctrl+enter to execute it, bug will be fixed then.
wedge5096 wrote:1) Will the character(s) I start with ever disappear from the Adventurer's Inn the way randomly generated hire-able NPCs do, or will they stick around forever, even if they're dead/stoned/eradicated/etc?

1. Characters did disappear in previous versions, now they don't. Only way to get rid of character forever is to manually dismiss him from adventurer's Inn.
2. Game will generate up to 8 hireable NPCs. Once they hired, none will be generated untill you'll dismiss someone forever (any character, even original mm8 mercenary). This is internal engine limit - max amount of playable characters is 50. 4 of them reserved for party creation, 2 - for service purposes, 36 - for original mm8 characters, including main hero, 8 slots left for random ones. When you dismiss someone forever, game gets free slot and can generate new one.
rampage77t wrote:EDIT: Now if you want me to configure the original tracks to match the way they were in their respective games I can do it too, I thought it was already configured that way
Yes, please, if it won't bother you.

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 07 Jun 2021, 02:50

Rodril wrote:Now you have to put edited MapStats.txt into "mmmerge.T.lod" aswell. Do you correct tracks according to original games, or adding your own? If just correcting - send MapStats.txt to me, so i can include it in base files.
https://mega.nz/file/7lIQAZ7B#5w0GZauO1 ... 6_aW4ZU58A

I just fixed some mm7 dungeons that had the wrong music like the colony zod, The School of Sorcery and Wromthrax's Cave. In the mm8 maps and dungeons they are fine, and in the mm6 maps I put a couple of tracks that were not used in any map as in Castle Ironfist and Silver Cove, the rest do not change anything because in the original mm6 the themes were changing so I don't know which one corresponds to each dungeon
Last edited by rampage77t on 07 Jun 2021, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 07 Jun 2021, 09:08

BTW - according to what we established on the Discord channel - it's probably impossible to affect the recipe pool sold at alchemist shops by using any editable file - it'll probably have to be altered in the game's code. So Rodril, if you wouldn't mind putting this on your to-do list? Could be done alongside changing the protection from magic potion's effect to something else.

Other than that I've recently listed most the bugs I could find by playing. Though I've forgotten some and I'll probably remember those when I play more, but some go back to vanilla if I remember well, so I should probably report them for Grayface to fix when I remember what they were :P

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 07 Jun 2021, 18:59

Rodril wrote:
justl wrote:here you go:
I think i've found it. Put this file into your "Scripts\Modules" folder, replacing existing, issue should be fixed.
works fine so far!
thx
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 07 Jun 2021, 19:02

Rodril wrote:Seems that have not been fixed in community version yet
It was: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/com ... 96f540ba19
Anyway, I write here to inform that GrayFace said these (or at least very similar) Inventory bugs will be fixed in upcoming version of his patch (and I add that they aren't Merge-specific). What was caught by me was negatives referencing to another negatives (or zeroes).

Other than that, ignoring z in pathfinder algorithm might be a problem. There were several issues reported with flying monsters stuck. And I saw guard in New Sorpigal stuck right under goblin's balcony on top of Self Guild. (Upd. note: pre 2021-05-11; didn't have an opportunity to tell this earlier.)
Last edited by cthscr on 08 Jun 2021, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 08 Jun 2021, 12:13

hi,

one small thing i noticed in mm6 (nothing gamebreaking though, just logical error imho)

in my run through the hive i left some demon blood in the chests there (inventory was too full).
after i finished the queen, i went back there to collect it for selling

your thoughts on reentring a "blown up" dungeon to retrieve things? (you know ... the ending sequence)
about the ending sequence ... when you exit the dungeon the 2nd/3rd/xth time (no matter which way) you get it shown again.

justl

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Jun 2021, 18:00

Rodril wrote:1. Implemented bonuses of recently added artifacts.
No Forge Gauntlets (and they are in chest already). Pendragon should have id 2030 rather than 2032.
Valeria is named as Percival in comment (Stats section; but that's a nitpick).
Upd: yet another nitpick, item 535 is Ring of Fusion (SpellBonus section).
Pendragon should have bonus to both Stealing and DisarmTrap if you can't add spcbonus 35 to it.
When you'll be implementing alignment-dependent artifact, notice https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/771

'Data/03 LocalizeTables.txt' NPCText lines lost a lot of apostrophes. Is it intended?
Last edited by cthscr on 08 Jun 2021, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 09 Jun 2021, 03:17

Sorry if someone ever answered it or if it is very easy to do but how do I make those messages are at the bottom of the screen, just above the characters?
Last edited by rampage77t on 09 Jun 2021, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 09 Jun 2021, 23:14

so I'm trying out the community branch for the first time and... are there supposed to be three different inns in Dagger Wound Island, or did I just screw up on the installation? Considering I've got NPCs failing to give me quest dialog, I'm inclined to expect the latter but I'm not sure how I would have done it wrong given I followed the instructions exactly as given (though my MM8 base might be pre-patched?)

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 10 Jun 2021, 08:09

raekuul wrote:so I'm trying out the community branch for the first time and... are there supposed to be three different inns in Dagger Wound Island, or did I just screw up on the installation?
I'd say latter since there's no map differences between Comm and Base now.
Something like extra 2DEvents.txt probably (in one of extra T.lod files or DataFiles folder)
I haven't updated CheckFiles() checksums for latest update yet, currently it provides this output:

> CheckFiles()
---- Log File Output: -------------------------------------------------------
check started 10:57:02
check finished 11:01:31
-----------------------
Scripts/General/Additional UI.lua: checksum mismatch: bf34468bf2b23c1d8be8bdc810baba41
Scripts/General/MenuExtraSettings.lua: checksum mismatch: 1523313e2be07ca2a2604422eafeb3b5
Scripts/General/MiscTweaks.lua: checksum mismatch: e9c880b0f84d400b829ad69e1f72f71d
Scripts/Global/ExtraArtifacts.lua: checksum mismatch: 8b103621b46558ce6b478a984ee097ce
Scripts/Global/MonsterPathfinding.lua: checksum mismatch: 7d841d997b467770f5dee45ba529d5a7
Scripts/Global/Quest_DragonHatchling.lua: checksum mismatch: fa30f6512121c4b4340f9b89383bca0d
Scripts/Modules/PathfinderAsm.lua: checksum mismatch: a00c75934fe0b873057a249fe3901bdf
Scripts/Structs/10_MergeSettings.lua: checksum mismatch: d27fd204d52fe9e91e901af5127d9551
Scripts/Structs/RemoveItemsLimits.lua: checksum mismatch: ad62b64d5fa0df44675295160b376875
Data/03 LocalizeTables.txt: checksum mismatch: 34b5fe35275eae897cd0995f29e9f458
Data/mmmerge.T.lod: checksum mismatch: a24620c4c9080022cf1ec4e8d07b4bf7
unknown file: Data/patch.icons.lod
Data/Additional UI/6UI.icons.UI.lod: checksum mismatch: 34448b26011e4eb41610424fce1740bf
Data/Additional UI/7UI.icons.UI.lod: checksum mismatch: 9dbc8a54f2463fa3aac550211e492737
Data/Tables/Complex item pictures.txt: checksum mismatch: e659186ed9ef10cf0921dfba45efdb7c
So CheckFiles() is still useful though time consuming (~5 min on my laptop).

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 10 Jun 2021, 21:42

I backtracked to Merge without Community and now I've got Karr Battlegear (I believe this is the Regna Blacksmith) replacing the DWI Alchemist shop, and the Clan Leader's Hall got replaced with an Initiate Guild of Light. So something is screwed up here.

I'll re-download the base merge from OP and see what comes up. I'm 99% sure I screwed something up somewhere so starting over can't hurt

EDIT: Yeah so apparently my raw MM8 was pre-patched and that was screwing up my attempts at switching over to community. Doing a fresh setup fixed basically everything (except my -3080 reputation)

E2: Got a skill training bug - Necromancer > Lich doesn't seem to count as far as getting Expert Repair
Last edited by raekuul on 10 Jun 2021, 23:44, edited 5 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jun 2021, 01:22

raekuul wrote: E2: Got a skill training bug - Necromancer > Lich doesn't seem to count as far as getting Expert Repair
They didn't have repair in MM8 and it was left that way. Check out a few posts back where I added a table with some skill adjustments that should get things consistent (though that means no repair at all for sorcs of any kind, as per MM8)

Return to “Might and Magic”