Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
kybso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 11.05.2021]

Unread postby kybso » 29 May 2021, 06:35

Can I have question? today I finished MM7 and want to jump to MM8 but dimension door sending me to MM6.
Is there any way how to force dimension door to MM8?

file edit or some console variable set-up or anything else please?
thnx

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 29 May 2021, 13:16

kybso wrote:Can I have question? today I finished MM7 and want to jump to MM8 but dimension door sending me to MM6.
Is there any way how to force dimension door to MM8?

file edit or some console variable set-up or anything else please?
thnx
You select the continent with the mouse, you just hover over the 3 orbs on the portal gate

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 29 May 2021, 20:50

kybso wrote:today I finished MM7 and want to jump to MM8 but dimension door sending me to MM6.
I remember an issue with double-clicking Town Portal on the spellbook and the next screen (dimension door) would also register the click, instantly teleporting you to one location (which in your case seems to be Enroth)

Try putting Town Portal on the Quick Spell slot and see if you're able to choose continents that way

Dicer5
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dicer5 » 29 May 2021, 20:51

Yo thank you all for your work on this. Mm6, 7 and 8 were big games in my youth (especially 6, that I replay atleast once every few years.)

I have noticed something though. I started in Enroth, all instances of crystal formations dont give gemstones when clicked. I remember distinctly that there were some crystals in Garyks forge and Castle Darkmoor that when clicked, had a chance of giving you a gemstone (i think it was either random or based on perception). However, none of these areas so far have given me a gem, and no message saying 'nothing here' or something similar.

Anyway, keep up the great work, Iam having a blast.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 May 2021, 07:50

joanthedark wrote: I remember an issue with double-clicking Town Portal on the spellbook and the next screen (dimension door) would also register the click, instantly teleporting you to one location (which in your case seems to be Enroth)
can confirm that ... you have to click reaaaaally slow to avoid that
Last edited by justl on 30 May 2021, 07:50, edited 2 times in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 May 2021, 07:58

hi,

an old issue (vanilla mm7) that is still in the game - basic/expert/master id monster dont show, what is supposed to see in the description:
my mage (the circled char) has master already, but cant see either of the things described (the hitpoints i see due to the horn of ros from mm6).
only when the char gets full grandmastery of the skill all is visibly - it seems to have to do something with the monstertier
Last edited by justl on 30 May 2021, 07:59, edited 2 times in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 May 2021, 08:09

hi,
in steadwick i had an error with the "make armor"-ore guy:
he made me the mm6 relic trident (spear?staff?) poseidon in stead of an armor (it was one of the yellow ores from mount nighon area)
(i dont do weapons or misc items with the ore, cause of the things my chars already have (blasters and most artifacts/relics typ of rings/amulets)
Last edited by justl on 30 May 2021, 09:17, edited 2 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 May 2021, 08:42

hi,

another small thing (more feature, then bug)
bounty hunting - when the hunted npc shows up midtown and is killed by the town guards it still counts as "killed by the party"

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 30 May 2021, 09:50

@justl You don't have high enough skill to identify Thunderbirds. Try getting an item that boosts ID monster by a lot. When you reach the required point total, it shows all the things it promises you.

LordInsane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordInsane » 30 May 2021, 12:19

cthscr wrote:1. Necromancer corresponds to Wizard. 2. Separating Lich and Master Necromancer classes wasn't a thing in Comm Merge since April 2020.
Yes, but the Comm Merge went awry with splitting way too many classes into Light/Dark/Neutral.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 30 May 2021, 13:01

justl wrote:hi,

an old issue (vanilla mm7) that is still in the game - basic/expert/master id monster dont show, what is supposed to see in the description:
ID Monster has similar rank requirements to ID Item - it checks the Monster's level against your ID Monster rank (modified by your mastery rank), and if the monster's level is too high you get nothing. The difference between GM ID Monster and GM ID Item is that there are monsters above level 40 (GM Rank 10), while there are no items with an ID Requirement above 30 (Master Rank 10, which is also why GM ID Item is a waste of money)
Last edited by raekuul on 30 May 2021, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 30 May 2021, 14:19

Can confirm. There is a formula that determines being able to identify monsters, in general it's dependent on the skill in Id Monster and possibly your party's character level (not sure about the latter part though). That's why GM is so good, it grants full knowledge about any monster right off the bat.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 May 2021, 14:59

raekuul wrote:
justl wrote:hi,

ID Monster has similar rank requirements to ID Item - it checks the Monster's level against your ID Monster rank (modified by your mastery rank), and if the monster's level is too high you get nothing. The difference between GM ID Monster and GM ID Item is that there are monsters above level 40 (GM Rank 10), while there are no items with an ID Requirement above 30 (Master Rank 10, which is also why GM ID Item is a waste of money)
still i am convinced that never was the way it was supposed to work ... what use would have the skill @ basic/expert/master modus if you only see the stats low tier monsters have but not high level ones? (or only when you grandmastered it ...)
maybe the text should be changed ingame into something tier-related? it IS confusing the way its written atm...

Sinatar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sinatar » 30 May 2021, 15:59

Does anyone know what the "seriously round stone" that Verdant wants is? She says it's in Stone City, but I've checked everywhere and cleared out the trog tunnels and found nothing.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 May 2021, 16:47

Sinatar wrote:Does anyone know what the "seriously round stone" that Verdant wants is? She says it's in Stone City, but I've checked everywhere and cleared out the trog tunnels and found nothing.
at #19 from that grafic (the dwarfen treasury in stone city)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/mm7/G ... e_City.jpg
Last edited by justl on 30 May 2021, 16:48, edited 2 times in total.

kybso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kybso » 30 May 2021, 18:27

justl wrote:
joanthedark wrote: I remember an issue with double-clicking Town Portal on the spellbook and the next screen (dimension door) would also register the click, instantly teleporting you to one location (which in your case seems to be Enroth)
can confirm that ... you have to click reaaaaally slow to avoid that
Thnx, problem solved :)

shpadoinkle
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby shpadoinkle » 30 May 2021, 20:41

Hello. Yet another person registering because of this mod. I've known about it for some time and finally decided to give it a try. I'm amazed at how good and fun to play this is. Big thanks to Rodril and all the other authors and contributors.

Anyway, in addition to playing I was doing some testing and tweaking and uncovered a couple of bugs and possible improvements. I made fixes for some of those, they're included in case anybody wants to use them.

The fix for enabling damage bonus for unarmed skill to work with GM staff doesn't seem to work as intended. I think the idea was that you'd get either the damage bonus from unarmed or damage bonus from staff skill, whichever is greater.

The problem is that those are applied after the game already added damage bonus from staff, so you either get damage bonus from staff skill + unarmed bonus or you get your staff skill damage bonus doubled in some circumstances, which doesn't make much sense.

I've rewritten the relevant function to fix it (and also took the liberty to restructure control flow a bit to avoid 8 levels of nested indentation):
https://pastebin.com/pUaQEqub

The reputation rewards on Enroth are completely bonkers given that the game runs on a MM7-8 style reputation system. This leads to hilarious outcomes like every guard wanting to murder you because you did the entry level quest for the Baa guy (it's weird that rep-based guard aggression is only enabled on Enroth, exactly the place where it goes crazy). Or shopkeepers throwing money at you because you did a couple of good guy quests.

I wrote a little thing that detects whenever reputation gets changed by NPC dialogue in Enroth and scales down the change by a factor of 50. It should work for other scaling factors too, so that could be tweaked:
https://pastebin.com/1Vbxx1As

There are still some map events that affect reputation, so they would have to be changed manually.

The dragon familiar from the warlock promotion got changed so now it grows into a dragon party member. This is cool, but I was doing a solo playthrough so it was not relevant to my interests. It was disappointing that the original bonus was no longer present. I was looking forward to that as a reward for spending two hours slogging through Eofol tunnels with a lvl 30 great druid.
Anyway, I wrote a thing that restores the original familiar behavior as long as he stays in the follower slot:
https://pastebin.com/zX1vCvHJ

Regeneration is tweaked so both the regeneration skill and regeneration spell give some percentage of total health, based on skill level. For the spell this is done by looking at Player.SpellBuffs[const.PlayerBuff.Regeneration].Skill

The problem is that the Skill field of the SpellBuff structure for regeneration is always equal to the Power field which is equal to the mastery at which the spell was cast, so this doesn't actually work.

Unfortunately, the Caster field is always set to 0, so this isn't trivial to fix (unless you're playing solo). Maybe casting of the spell could be detected by using an Action handler but it seems like it would be ugly and tricky to get right. Maybe adding an extra hook to SpellsTweaks.lua would be better. I might give it a try later unless some friendly reverse engineering wizard comes along and does it first.

There's a minor glitch with rendering the extra UI elements for hireling management. I play in 960x540 resolution because at 1080p the game turns into a slideshow. This causes the button for scrolling down the hireling window to overlap with the portraits display area. I can still press it by clicking on the border of the lowermost portrait, so it's not a big deal.
Screenshot: https://ibb.co/VVzCQRm
(Problem is absent when running at 1920x1080 resolution.)
Last edited by shpadoinkle on 30 May 2021, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Sinatar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sinatar » 31 May 2021, 06:37

justl wrote:
Sinatar wrote:Does anyone know what the "seriously round stone" that Verdant wants is? She says it's in Stone City, but I've checked everywhere and cleared out the trog tunnels and found nothing.
at #19 from that grafic (the dwarfen treasury in stone city)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/mm7/G ... e_City.jpg
Thanks.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 31 May 2021, 11:30

LordInsane wrote:
cthscr wrote:1. Necromancer corresponds to Wizard. 2. Separating Lich and Master Necromancer classes wasn't a thing in Comm Merge since April 2020.
Yes, but the Comm Merge went awry with splitting way too many classes into Light/Dark/Neutral.
Don't just use words, back them up with facts:

Code: Select all

> local used, good, evil = 0, 0, 0
for k, v in pairs(Game.ClassesExtra) do
  if v.Kind > 0 then
    used = used + 1
    if v.Alignment == const.Alignment.Good then
      good = good + 1
    elseif v.Alignment == const.Alignment.Evil then
      evil = evil + 1
    end
  end
end
print(string.format("Used classes: %d; good: %d; evil: %d", used, good, evil))
---- Log File Output: ----
Used classes: 51; good: 10; evil: 10
9 good/light from MM7, 9 evil/dark from MM7, good MM8 Cleric [of the Light], evil MM8 Necromancer.

You looked into 'Class skills.txt' and got scared of these placeholders needed by 'Class starting skills.txt'? That's okay, don't blame yourself for not knowing reasons [written in corresponding issue].
shpadoinkle wrote:The reputation rewards on Enroth are completely bonkers given that the game runs on a MM7-8 style reputation system. This leads to hilarious outcomes like every guard wanting to murder you because you did the entry level quest for the Baa guy (it's weird that rep-based guard aggression is only enabled on Enroth, exactly the place where it goes crazy). Or shopkeepers throwing money at you because you did a couple of good guy quests.

I wrote a little thing that detects whenever reputation gets changed by NPC dialogue in Enroth and scales down the change by a factor of 50. It should work for other scaling factors too, so that could be tweaked:
https://pastebin.com/1Vbxx1As

There are still some map events that affect reputation, so they would have to be changed manually.
You haven't read issues with 'reputation' label in bug tracker. At least read this code to not reimplement what was already done: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/blo ... tation.lua

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 01 Jun 2021, 20:46

Just found the Crown of Final Dominion in the chest left to the obelisk in Erathia. I don't think artifacts and relics are supposed to appear in that chest.

Return to “Might and Magic”