Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
tobiasthesquid
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby tobiasthesquid » 29 Mar 2021, 18:08

Hi, could anyone help me? I've got the mod up and running, but some of the dialogue options don't work. I start off in Enroth, but I can't give the letter to Andover Potbello. I've exported the mod into the MM8 GOG folder, and I've tried it with and without running the greyface patch over it. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 29 Mar 2021, 23:56

alekssandros wrote:
raekuul wrote:
alekssandros wrote:Can one choose both paths changing characters?
To my knowledge, no - If you want both light and dark on the same character, you need to do your 2nd promotions for Sorceror/Cleric in Enroth, and this prevents you from having Grandmastery. There are NPCs in Enroth that let you switch between MM7's second promotions for those two characters, but they're still mutually exclusive, and you can't switch back to the Enroth variant. Please note that it's still impossible for Jadamian Necromancers to have anything other than Dark, since their promotion path is different from a standard Sorceror's.

However, you can still mix Dark and Light in the same party due to using the MM8 party system.
I was saying, in a party, to have light path and in other to have dark path, and then mix them both partys... Well I asume if I need be LP to enter a Celeste, always can use Lloyd's Beacon to later go for other characters

(I never played MM7 to the end, so, I don't know if I need LP or DP to go somewhere)

Another question:
Is there an Adventurer's Inn on Antagarich? Tell me what map? There is one on Free Haven

Regarding your last question, yes, in Tatalia where the mercenaries' guild is, there is the tavern to hire heroes

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 30 Mar 2021, 05:43

tobiasthesquid wrote:Hi, could anyone help me? I've got the mod up and running, but some of the dialogue options don't work. I start off in Enroth, but I can't give the letter to Andover Potbello. I've exported the mod into the MM8 GOG folder, and I've tried it with and without running the greyface patch over it. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
You probably have installed GrayFace's patch before Merge. Check 'Data/00 patch.*.lod', there should be only '00 patch.bitmaps.lod'

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 30 Mar 2021, 05:46

alekssandros wrote:Do the regnan pirates in Dagger Wound keep spawning until their fleet is sunk?
No, until you kill their leader at outpost (that's unfinished mm8 quest).

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 30 Mar 2021, 05:49

gurthaur wrote:Greetings, I decided to start a new playthrough with MMMerge fully featured. My issue is that I want to start in Enroth with classes available in later games, particularly the thief. There is no thief option in Enroth, though I could do it in older pre-MMMerge. Also, there were no Dragon characters in any start.

Have I installed something incorrectly, or is this the norm?
That's the default behavior which can be changed by 'Extra/1FileMods/Unlocker' or manual tweaking 'Data/Tables/Character selection.txt'. Also that's what Peasant class for. (See also https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... ok/Peasant)
Last edited by cthscr on 30 Mar 2021, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.

tobiasthesquid
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tobiasthesquid » 30 Mar 2021, 19:06

cthscr wrote:
tobiasthesquid wrote:Hi, could anyone help me? I've got the mod up and running, but some of the dialogue options don't work. I start off in Enroth, but I can't give the letter to Andover Potbello. I've exported the mod into the MM8 GOG folder, and I've tried it with and without running the greyface patch over it. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
You probably have installed GrayFace's patch before Merge. Check 'Data/00 patch.*.lod', there should be only '00 patch.bitmaps.lod'
Thanks for the response. I'm now able to talk to npcs in Enroth, but I remember Jadame having modded elements to it, and now it seems like vanilla MM8. Is this correct? Am I just remembering an earlier version of the mod, or have I messed up something else? Sorry in advance if this has already been addressed, it's a big thread.

Madae
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Madae » 31 Mar 2021, 00:29

Installation instructions really need to be updated. They are really confusing, which isn't helped by the fact that the mod pack files in the instructions is a broken link, and then you say install the mod patch, while also saying it's broken (and not providing a link?), and then mentioning two other files rodril fixes and master branches. Then you say delete the scripts folder after installing the community branch, but there is a master and a rodril fixes community file... There is just so much redundant information here that makes this more difficult than it needs to be and could be so much simpler.
1. Install the main file, provide a link.
2. Install the mod fixes, provide the CORRECT link, or just delete this step altogether because it's broken? or something.
3. Install community fixes, if there are two, which one goes first?
4. Install GrayFace MM8 patch, by far the easiest thing to understand here because there is only one mention of this file.

kard_fett
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kard_fett » 31 Mar 2021, 05:41

Hey all, just another of Sseth's hordes here. I'm loving this mod for the mouse look alone, though I've never played any of these games before in my life (mostly because I knew they didn't have mouse look). I'm having quite the time trying to decipher classes and promotion options because I have no idea how any of them work in any of the three games and there's always something a little off from the references that I google due to the mod. As such, I have a question: how do you learn light and dark magic in MM6? I did an MM6 start and have gained membership to the light and dark guilds, but neither the trainers nor the guilds themselves are offering my cleric/sorcerer the actual skill in the magic. I know you have to be either saintly or reviled or whatever to become expert in them, but I thought you could just straight up learn either of them so long as you were the right base class. Thanks in advance.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 01 Apr 2021, 06:14

kard_fett wrote:As such, I have a question: how do you learn light and dark magic in MM6? I did an MM6 start and have gained membership to the light and dark guilds, but neither the trainers nor the guilds themselves are offering my cleric/sorcerer the actual skill in the magic. I know you have to be either saintly or reviled or whatever to become expert in them, but I thought you could just straight up learn either of them so long as you were the right base class. Thanks in advance.
There are specific guilds that teach Light/Dark Magic in M&M6/7/8. In M&M 6, you can learn Light Magic in Silver Cove (Initiate level spells), and Blackshire (Adept level spells). Dark Magic in Frozen Highlands (Initiate level spells), and Blackshire (Adept level spells). In M&M 7, you can learn Light Magic in Bracada and Celeste. Dark Magic in Deyja and the Pit. In M&M8, you can learn Light Magic in Murmurwoods, and Dark Magic in Shadowspire.
Necromancers start with Dark Magic already learned, and Clerics in Jadame start with Light Magic.
Last edited by Daedros on 01 Apr 2021, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.

escapism
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby escapism » 01 Apr 2021, 12:47

Does anyone have a full list of which classes are able to learn which skills and to which level? I only played 6 & 7 before and Im a little confused since a lot has changed either in mm8 or by grayface's patch. I.e. Body building gm shows as unavailable for knights (red text, not yellow) which im sure cant be right, also ID monster shows as unavailable for sorcerers (red text), which was available for them in mm7, can sorcs learn gm id monster in this merge when promoted or not?

Also I want to start playing in mm6 as early as possible, but have a thief in my team which requires me to start in mm7, could anyone tell me the earliest/easiest way to travel worlds when starting in 7? :D

Yelso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yelso » 01 Apr 2021, 19:38

How do I change the BolsterMul so it is at HP 1 as shown in this link?

https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/ ... /README.md

megatheme
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby megatheme » 01 Apr 2021, 22:45

literally tells you how in link?
Bolster can be put to original behavior by replacing Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt with Extra/BaseDefault/Bolster - formulas.txt.
Bolster can be put back to Fanasilver's by replacing Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt with Extra/CommunityDefault/Bolster - formulas.txt
these are inside your game folder
once you do this, run the game, go to options and click on "extra settings" on top

kard_fett
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kard_fett » 02 Apr 2021, 03:37

Daedros wrote:
kard_fett wrote:As such, I have a question: how do you learn light and dark magic in MM6? I did an MM6 start and have gained membership to the light and dark guilds, but neither the trainers nor the guilds themselves are offering my cleric/sorcerer the actual skill in the magic. I know you have to be either saintly or reviled or whatever to become expert in them, but I thought you could just straight up learn either of them so long as you were the right base class. Thanks in advance.
There are specific guilds that teach Light/Dark Magic in M&M6/7/8. In M&M 6, you can learn Light Magic in Silver Cove (Initiate level spells), and Blackshire (Adept level spells). Dark Magic in Frozen Highlands (Initiate level spells), and Blackshire (Adept level spells). In M&M 7, you can learn Light Magic in Bracada and Celeste. Dark Magic in Deyja and the Pit. In M&M8, you can learn Light Magic in Murmurwoods, and Dark Magic in Shadowspire.
Necromancers start with Dark Magic already learned, and Clerics in Jadame start with Light Magic.
Thanks for the layout, unfortunately that's not exactly what I was trying to get at. I'm sitting here in the Initiate Guild of Dark in Frozen Highlands, clicked the "learn skills" option and neither my cleric nor my sorcerer are able to learn basic dark magic, and I even made sure my sorcerer was promoted to wizard in case the base class couldn't learn it. Any idea what's going on?

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 02 Apr 2021, 10:08

kard_fett wrote:
Daedros wrote:
Thanks for the layout, unfortunately that's not exactly what I was trying to get at. I'm sitting here in the Initiate Guild of Dark in Frozen Highlands, clicked the "learn skills" option and neither my cleric nor my sorcerer are able to learn basic dark magic, and I even made sure my sorcerer was promoted to wizard in case the base class couldn't learn it. Any idea what's going on?
Try on Blackshire

Did you edit the file "class skill.txt" on Data/Tables? There u can change which class can learn which skill

kard_fett
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kard_fett » 02 Apr 2021, 16:01

alekssandros wrote:
Did you edit the file "class skill.txt" on Data/Tables? There u can change which class can learn which skill
Looking at the "class skill.txt" file, I see the problem. The only thing I've changed about the game is unzipping the post-Sseth file link and pressing "Replace all" when extracting it, so this is how the most currently available file would be for everyone, I imagine.

For the MM6 cleric line, Light and Dark are both a null entry ("-") for Cleric and Priest, but are marked as "G" for Light on Priest of Light and for Dark on Priest of Dark. This means that they wouldn't be able to learn even the basic skill until they hit their second promotion, at which point they could learn it up to grandmaster. I'm going to change this, as well as the similar situation with the sorcerer line, so that it progresses like "E" for cleric, "M" for Priest, and "G" as they are, which I imagine what was intended. I'm not sure who's responsible for bug fixes at this point, but this might be something to look at for future updates, though it's an easy enough fix for individuals, if they know where to find the skill list file.

Izgule
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Izgule » 02 Apr 2021, 20:31

Do I need to restart my game for changes to Class Skills.txt to take effect? Or do I need to do something else?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 03 Apr 2021, 00:59

Under the default settings, you have to be fully promoted (or a Jadamian Necromancer) to learn even basic Light/Dark, which matches the Might and Magic 7 behavior. This was less for balance reasons (the basic L/D spells aren't all that hot without advancement, as early game MM8 proves) and more to make the MM7 story work. I usually start Jadame to get the forced party members, then hop over to Enroth at first opportunity to get Dyson Leland access to Dark Magic.
Last edited by raekuul on 03 Apr 2021, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.

Yelso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yelso » 03 Apr 2021, 03:35

megatheme wrote:literally tells you how in link?
Bolster can be put to original behavior by replacing Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt with Extra/BaseDefault/Bolster - formulas.txt.
Bolster can be put back to Fanasilver's by replacing Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt with Extra/CommunityDefault/Bolster - formulas.txt
these are inside your game folder
once you do this, run the game, go to options and click on "extra settings" on top
I dont know what the original behavior is, it seems to be that the new version in the community master one I have is the easier one, so If I replace it wont I just make the enemies harder than before? It would really help if someone made a video on how to properly replace them so people dont get confused.

Edit: I got my characters up to level 30 and now most enemies are tanks in melee combat and only can be put down without having my entire party OTK by using arrows or magic. I dont think this was intended.
Last edited by Yelso on 03 Apr 2021, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

Rngeesus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Rngeesus » 03 Apr 2021, 08:55

Hey i have a little problem i played through the merge a few times now but now i wanted to play a draco sorcerer party. I used the Racial class unlocker and the Racial skills unlocker but if i use a Dragon portrait and take a sorcerer i dont get the option to take the dragon ability.Which will drop my damage by a lot.I really wanted to go for an unbalanced fun party. I dont know if i miss understood it and that you dont get the ability with the unlocker or if i made a mistake or need to change something. Either way thanks in advance for the answer.

SpalonaPlastelina
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SpalonaPlastelina » 03 Apr 2021, 19:31

Hello, im new here.
I have a little problem with install Grayface and Marge together.
Cose in any installation combination: 1 Marge 2 Grayface or 1 Grayface 2 Marge
All buildings change npcs: photos
Pls help me i dont know what can i do :d
Yes its funny, but i cant start quests :d

https://postimg.cc/gallery/qMqwt9N

Return to “Might and Magic”