Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby alekssandros » 24 Mar 2021, 09:51

qtish wrote:Once I got to Erathia, I got invitation to participate in competition for Harmondale Castle ownership. Then you get option to travel to Emerald Isle by boat.
OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Thanks! I just went to Turulean Forest and Deyja n_n :tsup: :tsup: :tsup:

lordTrolldemort
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lordTrolldemort » 24 Mar 2021, 12:05

MageWithBlackWings wrote:Yeah, Sseth led me here as well and I thought I had installed it properly but several links on 1st page here aren't working as well as 1 at the github so I hadn't successfully downloaded the mod even though the game seemed to be working correctly. when I made my character I didn't get any options to choose which game to start in and I ran around on a lizardman island being attacked by pirates for a bit. So I guess I'm wondering if there is anywhere that has the working links or if I should start sifting though the 300 pages of this thread. Sorry if a million other people have asked this in the last couple days and everyone is tired of catering to the needy noobs.
I dont think it installed properly. You're basically playing base mm8. You need to grab the file that is like 1.6GB big, excract it to the game folder, then install grayface patch over it and you're done. Remember it should be used with GOG version, idk about other variants

NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NotABroom » 24 Mar 2021, 16:55

lordTrolldemort wrote:
MageWithBlackWings wrote:Yeah, Sseth led me here as well and I thought I had installed it properly but several links on 1st page here aren't working as well as 1 at the github so I hadn't successfully downloaded the mod even though the game seemed to be working correctly. when I made my character I didn't get any options to choose which game to start in and I ran around on a lizardman island being attacked by pirates for a bit. So I guess I'm wondering if there is anywhere that has the working links or if I should start sifting though the 300 pages of this thread. Sorry if a million other people have asked this in the last couple days and everyone is tired of catering to the needy noobs.
I dont think it installed properly. You're basically playing base mm8. You need to grab the file that is like 1.6GB big, excract it to the game folder, then install grayface patch over it and you're done. Remember it should be used with GOG version, idk about other variants
Actually, as far as I remember, the grayface patch is already included in the 1,6 GB.

MageWithBlackWings
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MageWithBlackWings » 24 Mar 2021, 19:58

NotABroom wrote:
lordTrolldemort wrote:
Actually, as far as I remember, the grayface patch is already included in the 1,6 GB.
I think this might be the case. When I tried again some dialogue options didn't work when I used the greyface patch, but when I just use that 1.6 GB file it seems that it's working. Yay.

rane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rane » 24 Mar 2021, 20:00

So uh hi, I'm just another dude from the horde that was sent your way by Sseth and I'm actually having a bit of a problem - two, actually and I couldn't find a fix in the thread - maybe wrong search terms, dunno.

First and most importantly the party doesn't seem to be walking straight, instead movement is combined with slight strafing to one of the sides; it's especially visible when I walk forward and backward quickly - the move to the sides becomes really pronounced in that case. I have tried mouselook on and off, actual strafing and some other things but nothing seems to work.

Additionally, traditionally the music doesn't loop. I've tried converting to wav but that silenced the music altogether; do I have to rename the .wav files somehow?

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 25 Mar 2021, 10:40

Can one choose both paths changing characters?

raekuul
Dead Philosopher
Dead Philosopher

Unread postby raekuul » 25 Mar 2021, 10:45

rane wrote:First and most importantly the party doesn't seem to be walking straight, instead movement is combined with slight strafing to one of the sides; it's especially visible when I walk forward and backward quickly - the move to the sides becomes really pronounced in that case. I have tried mouselook on and off, actual strafing and some other things but nothing seems to work.
Now that you mention it, I've had this happen to me too. I just learned to live with it, but it really is an issue (probably an issue with the MM8 engine, I remember having trouble then too)
Additionally, traditionally the music doesn't loop. I've tried converting to wav but that silenced the music altogether; do I have to rename the .wav files somehow?
The music needs to stay in the MP3 format. The looping is an on-again-off-again feature of the GrayFace patch - Gray will fix it, it'll break, Gray will fix it again, it'll break again, and so forth. I've just gotten in the habit of having external music playing. It's less atmospheric but at least it's not silence.
(You can actually use arbitrary music if you replace the files correctly - I found that base MM7 works surprisingly well with the soundtrack to Perfect Cherry Blossom, and you don't even really need to reorder the tracks!)
alekssandros wrote:Can one choose both paths changing characters?
To my knowledge, no - If you want both light and dark on the same character, you need to do your 2nd promotions for Sorceror/Cleric in Enroth, and this prevents you from having Grandmastery. There are NPCs in Enroth that let you switch between MM7's second promotions for those two characters, but they're still mutually exclusive, and you can't switch back to the Enroth variant. Please note that it's still impossible for Jadamian Necromancers to have anything other than Dark, since their promotion path is different from a standard Sorceror's.

However, you can still mix Dark and Light in the same party due to using the MM8 party system.
Last edited by raekuul on 25 Mar 2021, 10:51, edited 3 times in total.

wesou
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wesou » 25 Mar 2021, 19:57

Hey guys!
Having blast with a mod but unforunetly have some issues with followers. Cant see any window (mm8 ui) in which i can interact with them or dismiss them.
I was trying to change ui to mm7 or 6 but then the game crashes. Any solutions?

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 26 Mar 2021, 09:21

wesou wrote:Hey guys!
Having blast with a mod but unforunetly have some issues with followers. Cant see any window (mm8 ui) in which i can interact with them or dismiss them.
If you're running the standard UI in the merge with mouselook, press TAB to free your mouse and there will be a small image of a head in the upper left (might be right) corner of the screen. Click that to pop out a bigger window where you can speak to yonder followers.

I don't know about changing the UI, sadly, I personally never had much issue with the standard one. My solution of "if in doubt, try every button" has served me well for a number of years ;)

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 26 Mar 2021, 11:23

wesou wrote:I was trying to change ui to mm7 or 6 but then the game crashes. Any solutions?
cthscr can help you with that, if I remember correctly it had to do with replacing the file MenuChooseContinent.lua for one that's on the community branch or something.

wesou
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wesou » 26 Mar 2021, 11:29

Works like magic :) Thank you Sir!

Sharblin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sharblin » 26 Mar 2021, 18:57

Klasiant wrote:
wesou wrote:Hey guys!
If you're running the standard UI in the merge with mouselook, press TAB to free your mouse and there will be a small image of a head in the upper left (might be right) corner of the screen. Click that to pop out a bigger window where you can speak to yonder followers.

I don't know about changing the UI, sadly, I personally never had much issue with the standard one. My solution of "if in doubt, try every button" has served me well for a number of years ;)
I'm having the same issue with my followers, but this solution doesn't work for me. TAB only cycles through the characters by default, the only thing that frees the cursor for me is holding the right mouse button and clicking on the head icon while holding right click doesn't do anything.

Is there a way to bind the free cursor to any other key or any other ideas how to fix this?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 27 Mar 2021, 09:04

Sharblin wrote:TAB only cycles through the characters by default, the only thing that frees the cursor for me is holding the right mouse button and clicking on the head icon while holding right click doesn't do anything.
Middle button (temporary effect) or CapsLock. I prefer the latter.
joanthedark wrote:
wesou wrote:I was trying to change ui to mm7 or 6 but then the game crashes. Any solutions?
cthscr can help you with that, if I remember correctly it had to do with replacing the file MenuChooseContinent.lua for one that's on the community branch or something.
Just use 'rodril-fixes' branch with Base Merge. All the necessary fixes are there. ('master' branch has them as well, of course.)

gurthaur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gurthaur » 27 Mar 2021, 16:03

Greetings, I decided to start a new playthrough with MMMerge fully featured. My issue is that I want to start in Enroth with classes available in later games, particularly the thief. There is no thief option in Enroth, though I could do it in older pre-MMMerge. Also, there were no Dragon characters in any start.

Have I installed something incorrectly, or is this the norm?
Last edited by gurthaur on 27 Mar 2021, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 27 Mar 2021, 17:45

rane wrote:So uh hi, I'm just another dude from the horde that was sent your way by Sseth and I'm actually having a bit of a problem - two, actually and I couldn't find a fix in the thread - maybe wrong search terms, dunno.
Hello, I wanted to drop a note to @rane that converting the files in the music folder to .wav format absolutely works for me to get the music to loop, in both the merge, and in MM7 with Grayface patch and no merge.

If your attempt at conversion cut the music off completely, I suspect that something went wrong in how you numbered the files. They have to say 2.wav, 3.wav , etc. The game looks up the tracks for each area by that specific number. Be aware that the numbering system is completely different in the merge from the defaults in the three games separately, because the merge combines all three soundtracks into one long list. I have separate .wav conversion folders for all my different installs of the games.

I have Playmp3=1 in my .ini settings. If you turned it to 0 by any chance, that could be what turned your music off. I have it set to "1", and "musicloops=0", and my .wav music files play beautifully in all the appropriate places on a continuous loop.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Galadrine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Galadrine » 29 Mar 2021, 01:04

Hey guys,

This mod is a dream come true for me, and so I was really sad when it crashed to hell when starting an arcomage match

Did You guys encounter that? Any tips?

Yelso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yelso » 29 Mar 2021, 04:50

Is it possible to turn off the enemy scaling and return it to the original version?

If so, could someone please post instructions on how to do so?

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 29 Mar 2021, 08:55

raekuul wrote:
alekssandros wrote:Can one choose both paths changing characters?
To my knowledge, no - If you want both light and dark on the same character, you need to do your 2nd promotions for Sorceror/Cleric in Enroth, and this prevents you from having Grandmastery. There are NPCs in Enroth that let you switch between MM7's second promotions for those two characters, but they're still mutually exclusive, and you can't switch back to the Enroth variant. Please note that it's still impossible for Jadamian Necromancers to have anything other than Dark, since their promotion path is different from a standard Sorceror's.

However, you can still mix Dark and Light in the same party due to using the MM8 party system.
I was saying, in a party, to have light path and in other to have dark path, and then mix them both partys... Well I asume if I need be LP to enter a Celeste, always can use Lloyd's Beacon to later go for other characters

(I never played MM7 to the end, so, I don't know if I need LP or DP to go somewhere)

Another question:
Is there an Adventurer's Inn on Antagarich? Tell me what map? There is one on Free Haven
Last edited by alekssandros on 29 Mar 2021, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.

Galadrine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Galadrine » 29 Mar 2021, 12:41

Galadrine wrote:Hey guys,

This mod is a dream come true for me, and so I was really sad when it crashed to hell when starting an arcomage match

Did You guys encounter that? Any tips?
For future players

Installing patch from

http://www.mmgames.ru/index.php?option= ... 14&lang=en

Fixed Arcomage and some of the crashes

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 29 Mar 2021, 14:19

Do the regnan pirates in Dagger Wound keep spawning until their fleet is sunk?

Return to “Might and Magic”