New Sorpigal Unreal Engine 4

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
DrakeBD
Big Nose
Big Nose

Re: New Sorpigal Unreal Engine 4

Unread postby DrakeBD » 13 Dec 2019, 10:13

KirillShelepaev wrote:
unknownone wrote:Hi, that's a very nice improvement. Could this strategy be used to upscale all textures and use them in MM678 Merge?
Greetings. My model is made for a third of work only, and weighs more than 6000 polygons already. The final result will be about 18,000 polygons. I will try to make an open world for the whole mm6. I even tried to shove old models from around the world in UE4 at a time, so my laptop hung in a dream. If the computer is very powerful, then you can try to make an open world for all 3 series of mm.
In order for the open world to work normally, I immediately make models optimized: I break the model into separate meshs (4 walls of the first floor, 4 walls of the second floor, roof, stairs, internal walls), I manually create LODs and MipMaps for textures.
Best thing to do is not go open world and have loading screens like the old MM6 or you would have to create a very large world due to it taking days to get from one area to another.

d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby d4rk3lf » 15 Dec 2019, 13:43

DrakeBD wrote:
d4rk3lf wrote:Guys.

I've been very busy with regular work, so couldn't yet proceed with this project.
However, I uploaded all project files, if someone wants to proceed, and will post again exe file.

So, here they are:

Exe file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6We-S ... gVPN3/view
Source files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PKkwA8 ... 009ap/view
I will check out the source and see how you have done it compared to my attempt see if they can be combined thanks for this will help greatly

EDIT
I have now checked out your source map and material and see it is very basic that being said liked some of the things you did that i didnt like the terrain smoothing
see that you did not optimize the static meshes for structures and other assets though so thats still in the pre import state i would happily share my source with you so you can have a look at how i did the terrain granted its not perfect either and some things are still dodgy but its a learning curve for us both shame you dont have more time to work along side me to make somthing better of this.
Thanks, terrain smoothing was easy.
What was really time consuming is making new textures for majority of the ground. Every grass and ground tileable combination, and finding textures that was very close to original, but much higher res. You can see on the first page, one sample of that texture. Still need to do the same for "ashes" ground, and perhaps some more.

But basically, what I had in plan (making New Sorpigal with shadows, and working in Unreal 4), I basically did it, so I am happy about it. :)
I never wanted to recreate the level completely, or the whole game. :) Neither I have knowledge and time to do it.

Everything I added on top of that was just a bonus:
If I have time, I will eventually add this:
- Hi res textures for the "ashes" ground, and other missing
- Some more 3D models (like mighty Ship on the harbor), and stuff around and inside the town
- more plants, and grass everywhere, and especially, around the water, so it soften up the transition between water and ground.
- Rainy, cloudy days
(above are stuff that I am pretty confident I can do, only need time, but bellow stuff are something that I need to learn first, then to do it)
- Adding Goblins rigged characters at appropriate places (like in the game)
- Adding ability to shoot arrows at Goblins, and Goblins to die.
- Music and SoundFX

On top of all, I would really like to create 1 dungeon level, to try and test all the torches lights with shadows and all, and it should look awesome.
That way, since the M&M6 basically have all the repeating textures on the esteriors and interiors levels, these texture and assests could be of use anyone crazy (in positive way) that is willing to recreate the whole game. :)
Last edited by d4rk3lf on 15 Dec 2019, 13:46, edited 2 times in total.

DrakeBD
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby DrakeBD » 16 Dec 2019, 00:28

I was doing a different approach of using the character assets from the original and making it with Sprite sheets I had to do a few extra Sprite animations by replicating the the images in reverse and adding them to the Sprite sheet but managed to accomplish that and created the graphing to animate the characters just not done anything with the AI as of yet to actually make them move and use said animations but there all keyed up ready to go we really should combine efforts as I have more free time here and there to work on the project.

Can probably find a texture artist too that can help out

d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby d4rk3lf » 19 Dec 2019, 20:50

Thanks a lot for having so much fate in me and my skills.
It's totally undeserved. If you look carefully, you will see that my last update was one year a go, or so.
So, imagine if we create a team, and I don't touch anything for a whole year. I would hold you back. I don't want to do that, that's why I gave all source files.
And after reading your post, I came to conclusion that we would disagree at the very start. :D
You see.. you wanted 2D sprites, where (in my version of the game), 3D character models would be a must. :)
I don't see point recreating all in new engine and keeping the 2D sprites (not that I say that your idea wouldn't work (it could, of course).

All in all, in order to see a possible MM6 full remake, I only see 2 options:
1) Several hi/school kids, that know pretty well Unreal 4, and some of them are great artist, and they all have a lot's of free time, and will, and after 2 years, we could have something really cool, and probably with some bugs
2) Creating an awesome demo level in Unreal of MM6, where you must balance 2 perfectly opposite things: a) Stay truth to the MM6 feel, and b) Making interesting gameplay to today's kids. You then offer that whoever owns the MM franchise, and hope that they give you several million bucks to make full remake.

Nothing is impossible - sure.
All I want to say is - what I had as a goal (read my first post) - I made it, and very happy about that. :-D
If anyone is inspired by it, and want to continue - I'll be honored... I gave project files, where every boring part of importing, re-smoothing... etc.. is done... everyone can just continue... either by adding graphics... or a bits of code..

Cheers to all! :)

mrcoffeeee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mrcoffeeee » 01 Jan 2020, 12:46

Hi there,

within the last year I had the idea in mind to start working with 3D Rendering. Especially I thought of somehow extract maps from my favorite Might & Magic games and try to bring them to a new game engine. I started several attempts since I found this thread and the awesome work d4rk3lf did. It inspired me so I downloaded his Unreal files and startet to get familiar with the Unreal Editor. I am new to the Topic of 3D design and there are a lot of challenging tasks but I really would like to see a modern remake of M&M 6-8. I remodeled the original landscape mesh with the Unreal landscape editor, created some simple tesselated splines for roads, made hills, a new master material and used some foliage. The whole landscape needs some redesign as the original game graphics used to be quite flat and without detail. Maybe here are some persons who would like to share the idea of working together on a remake project?

Here is my actual Progress:

I also played with some new textures for the towns stonewalls but they don´t look that good.
Last edited by mrcoffeeee on 01 Jan 2020, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

d4rk3lf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby d4rk3lf » 09 Jan 2020, 01:19

@mrcoffeeee
You did a great job.
You did... just what I have hoped for...
The idea was to give a source files that people can improve on.. you did just that.
Thanks man :)

Few things I personally think could be improved (let's try looking as environment artists) .
- On your road, we have many spikes, many unwanted stones.. realistically, the people in New Sorpigal would first cut this, so they have free roads. Roads should be mostly open, unless some special quest requires different.
- Let's not forget the Tample of Bae, ans all sect lunatics that are doing hazard. Why not place remaining of some merchant chariot on the way to Castle Ironfist? Before, or after the bridge. Like.. wheel of the cottage burried in ground.. and some other leftovers...

But anyway... amazing what you did!
Thanks

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 05 Mar 2021, 11:40

Hello, I do :-D :D

Last edited by KirillShelepaev on 05 Mar 2021, 12:09, edited 8 times in total.

IRS-7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby IRS-7 » 09 Mar 2021, 11:56

KirillShelepaev wrote:Hello, I do :-D :D

Is it MM in VR? :-D

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 22 Mar 2021, 02:59

Image[/quote]
Is it MM in VR? :-D[/quote]

Yes, is it! :oex:

And that's not it. I decided to use neural networks to improve the textures of the sprites and the faces of the main characters will come to life with the help of neural networks. And I also have the whole world open without downloads. ;)

Last edited by KirillShelepaev on 22 Mar 2021, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

KirillShelepaev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KirillShelepaev » 03 Apr 2021, 12:12

I do

Return to “Might and Magic”