Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby Pol » 23 Jan 2021, 23:04

:up:
Last edited by Pol on 23 Jan 2021, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 24 Jan 2021, 04:11

I, for the life of me, cannot get this to work whatsoever.

This is what I did:

1). I copied and pasted my MM8 installation to another drive because I didn't want to overwrite 8 entirely.
2). I downloaded the mod, and followed the steps here.
3). I then found this: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge and followed that.
4). Took me awhile to find that I had to set compat for WinXP SP2 to get rid of the D3D error.
5). Start the game up, it runs fine, start in Enroth, go into the tavern, click on Potbello, click Quest..... nothing. No Dialog, nothing. Try his other dialogue options, only the bottom one works.
6). Go to the townhall, only 1 of their dialogue option works. Tried the shops, they seem to work fine.

I tried this between steps 2 and 3, I've tried reinstalling it several times, and I just can't figure out what the frick is going wrong.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 24 Jan 2021, 09:16

xyllia wrote:I, for the life of me, cannot get this to work whatsoever.

This is what I did:

1). I copied and pasted my MM8 installation to another drive because I didn't want to overwrite 8 entirely.
2). I downloaded the mod, and followed the steps here.
3). I then found this: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge and followed that.
4). Took me awhile to find that I had to set compat for WinXP SP2 to get rid of the D3D error.
It's written specifically in instruction at https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/ ... al/Install
xyllia wrote:5). Start the game up, it runs fine, start in Enroth, go into the tavern, click on Potbello, click Quest..... nothing. No Dialog, nothing. Try his other dialogue options, only the bottom one works.
6). Go to the townhall, only 1 of their dialogue option works. Tried the shops, they seem to work fine.

I tried this between steps 2 and 3, I've tried reinstalling it several times, and I just can't figure out what the frick is going wrong.
Did you installed GrayFace's patch previously? Check your 'Data' directory for following files: '00 patch.games.lod', '00 patch.icons.lod', '00 patch.T.lod'. If any of them present, remove.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 24 Jan 2021, 09:57

darkdill wrote:2. Changing the Bolster mechanic to work off several different values instead of just a single BolsterMult number. I like it when the Bolster mechanic enhances the damage of my enemies, but not-so-much when it gives them huge amounts of HP (i.e. Oozes, MM6 Gargoyles). With more selectable values, customizing the Bolster effect would be much better in its flexibility.
BolsterMul is not a static multiplier but an argument for functions of 'Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt'. Yes, each attribute's change is done by its own function. Change them at your please.
darkdill wrote:- Separating elemental and status resistances. In order to make an enemy immune to Shrinking Ray, you also have to make them immune to Dragon's Breath and Shrapmetal. Similarly, to make an enemy immune to Enslave, they also must be immune to Psychic Shock. Making damage and status immunities separate would be a big improvement.

- New spells. A "Harden Item" spell would've been handy for all those times you face against enemies that constantly break your equipment (and would lessen the need for Alchemy). Similarly, I miss the MM6 Fire Blast spell; such a great magic shotgun.

- New enchantments. An "Immune to Curses" one would've been really nice to have.
First two require heavy, really heavy asmpatching. Latter probably could be done via Global/ExtraArtifacts.lua

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 24 Jan 2021, 13:03

cthscr wrote: Did you installed GrayFace's patch previously? Check your 'Data' directory for following files: '00 patch.games.lod', '00 patch.icons.lod', '00 patch.T.lod'. If any of them present, remove.
*facepalm*

Gah. I thought for sure the first time I Tried to install this, I did this out of a fresh GOG download but maybe I had somehow forgotten.

But yeah it works.

Another problem though, is for some reason, there seems to be a heavy blizzard in New Sorp after installing mmmerge.master? Is that intentional? Or did that just add random weather effects to areas?

EDIT: Nevermind, there was another 00.patch file that you didn't mention, that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks!
Last edited by xyllia on 24 Jan 2021, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

x1diablo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby x1diablo » 24 Jan 2021, 13:35

What do you think about this idea - to add gained experience to all characters in the Adventure's Inn?

It will be similar to Dragon Age series - where you can swap characters, train and play.

In MM8 you have lots of useless characters, that aren't your level.

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 24 Jan 2021, 13:47

To be honest........

Some people might use that for good. Some people might not like that bolster thing, and decide that hey, let's say you start MM8 first to get those cool classes, but you finish Jadame and you're some Level 90. You don't want to hop on over to New Sorp with a full party of Level 90 characters so maybe you'd like to swap your party out for a Level 5-15 party instead?

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 24 Jan 2021, 14:28

One more thing I'd like to ask about...

The little message bar that displays various messages... like damage, or mousing over things, like barrels, etc appears at the top of the screen.

In the original versions of these games, this was always at the _bottom_ of the screen just above the character portraits. I looked in the .ini file and in the controls menu but I didn't see anything that looked like that would change this back. I thought "statusbarplace" was it, but sadly it was not (or at least it didn't appear to change anything).

Is there a setting that changes this? Because my eyes never have a reason to look at the very top of the screen and I find this change very odd, and I don't understand why it was done.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 25 Jan 2021, 06:09

xyllia wrote:One more thing I'd like to ask about...

The little message bar that displays various messages... like damage, or mousing over things, like barrels, etc appears at the top of the screen.

In the original versions of these games, this was always at the _bottom_ of the screen just above the character portraits. I looked in the .ini file and in the controls menu but I didn't see anything that looked like that would change this back. I thought "statusbarplace" was it, but sadly it was not (or at least it didn't appear to change anything).

Is there a setting that changes this? Because my eyes never have a reason to look at the very top of the screen and I find this change very odd, and I don't understand why it was done.
because it isnt using the mm6 engine, but the mm8 one, and there are some differences in showing things (doing it the mm8 way)
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Sytakan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sytakan » 25 Jan 2021, 08:32

Hello. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but there are 310 pages to go through so it's hard to find info on specific things. I am unable to find the dragon race at all in character creation

I have installed the merge patch, and the community branch master pack. I have installed the unlocker as well, and installed gf's patch as well just in case.

While I can see a LOT of paper dolls, mostly humans(?), I can't find the dragon race paper doll at all. I'm assuming it still looks like a dragon? Thanks to the unlocker, I can make several of the dragon classes, but not the race it seems. And personally, I mostly just wanted the dragon race available, I don't need the other classes unlocked.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Are they only able to be recruited after character creation?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Jan 2021, 09:10

xyllia wrote:The little message bar that displays various messages... like damage, or mousing over things, like barrels, etc appears at the top of the screen.

I guess it's somewhere in 'Data/patch.UI.txt'

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Jan 2021, 09:17

Sytakan wrote:I have installed the merge patch, and the community branch master pack. I have installed the unlocker as well, and installed gf's patch as well just in case.
If you have copied 'Extra/1FileMods/Unlocker/Character selection.txt' into 'Data/Tables/' - that should be enough. Installing MM8Patch on top of Merge [which is mostly not needed in the first place] should be done with caution since you can install incompatible lods.
"Have installed the unlocker" is vague since there are more than one version of it. Use the one from 'Extra/' directory, as mentioned above.
Sytakan wrote:Are they only able to be recruited after character creation?
No, at party creation too.
Last edited by cthscr on 25 Jan 2021, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 25 Jan 2021, 12:46

justl wrote:
xyllia wrote:One more thing I'd like to ask about...

because it isnt using the mm6 engine, but the mm8 one, and there are some differences in showing things (doing it the mm8 way)
Except MM8 shows the messages at the bottom of the screen, too. This was something that was specifically changed in the Merge Mod, or the mmmerge-master patch, one of the two. And I looked at Patch.UI as someone else mentioned above, and didn't see anything that looks like it had to do with the location of that particular element, and I also looked at UI.txt didn't see anything there either but then it's somewhat of a confusing format, etc.

EDIT: FINALLY! So for some weird reason, in mm8.ini, statusbarplace is set to 2 by default when you install the mod and the patch from github.

Setting it to 1 does absolutely nothing that I can see.

However, on a whim I decided to set it to 0 and bam. It moves down to above the portraits. This makes no sense to me, but ok! Glad I found it finally. Now I can actually play the game.
Last edited by xyllia on 25 Jan 2021, 13:21, edited 2 times in total.

darkdill
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby darkdill » 25 Jan 2021, 22:27

cthscr wrote:
darkdill wrote:2. Changing the Bolster mechanic to work off several different values instead of just a single BolsterMult number. I like it when the Bolster mechanic enhances the damage of my enemies, but not-so-much when it gives them huge amounts of HP (i.e. Oozes, MM6 Gargoyles). With more selectable values, customizing the Bolster effect would be much better in its flexibility.
BolsterMul is not a static multiplier but an argument for functions of 'Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt'. Yes, each attribute's change is done by its own function. Change them at your please.
I know, but that's tricky to work with. Any time I've tried to change the formula, the effect ends up being really wonky.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 27 Jan 2021, 18:52

Pack archive links from the first post don't work anymore.
Pol was kind and save us with https://mmmerge.celestialheavens.com/MM ... _07_12.zip

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 28 Jan 2021, 15:57

So, when adding mods like armour, etc. In which directory am I supposed to put them? I can't find any similar files. Would it be Data?

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 28 Jan 2021, 18:05

Are Merchantman Daggers supposed to be 2d1+4? That doesn't sound right...

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 28 Jan 2021, 19:03

xyllia wrote:Are Merchantman Daggers supposed to be 2d1+4? That doesn't sound right...
Doesn't that result in a flat 6? Doesn't seem to make much sense to be without any min-max range in damage.

xyllia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xyllia » 28 Jan 2021, 21:27

I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be 2d3+4 because that's what most other daggers are, not counting Long Daggers.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. They are 2d2+3 in the original MM8.
Last edited by xyllia on 28 Jan 2021, 21:29, edited 2 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Jan 2021, 06:36

Caligula Wellington wrote:So, when adding mods like armour, etc. In which directory am I supposed to put them? I can't find any similar files. Would it be Data?
Lods should be put in Data.
xyllia wrote:Are Merchantman Daggers supposed to be 2d1+4? That doesn't sound right...
Looks like is was supposed. There's someone to blame/ask:
Xfing wrote:bump
People want explanation.

Return to “Might and Magic”