Manually reset MM8 areas?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Dkt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Manually reset MM8 areas?

Unread postby Dkt » 08 Dec 2020, 18:34

Is it possible to respawn monsters in MM8 manually on gog version? I have cleared all areas and dungeons in MM8 and nothing has respawned yet. I really don't want to waste in-game time by using rest and traveling between regions waiting for areas to respawn. It would be nice to clear an area and then get it to respawn straight away for extra xp and loot. Thanks

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Manually reset MM8 areas?

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 09 Dec 2020, 17:46

I don't know if there's a console command that causes a respawn, but there is another way. You can edit the game files for each region to have whatever respawn time you wish, from upon first re-entry (0 days), to 10+years (3,650+ days)

First, you'll want to install Greyface's MM Extension. It's one of the top links on the forum. Look into how to use that tool. When you first launch the game after installing it, it will generate a bunch of tables in your base game directory. You're looking for one called mapstats.txt. If that file isn't generated, you'll need to acquire MMArchive (also from Greyface's site -- check his sig block) and extract the file from EnglishT.lod.

Within mapstats.txt, there's an entry for Refill Time -- usually over 600 days. Change that however you see fit. 0 days means it will refill every time you enter the map -- whether it's been cleared or not.

Make sure to back up your game files before altering them. Those txt tables are often best edited in a spreadsheet program, like Excel.
Last edited by lightbringer23 on 09 Dec 2020, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Dkt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dkt » 09 Dec 2020, 21:27

This is great. I thought the way to do it would be through MM Extension. I just didn't know where to start. Never used MM Extension before. Just got to figure out how it works now. Thanks

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 10 Dec 2020, 07:20

lightbringer23 wrote:Those txt tables are often best edited in a spreadsheet program, like Excel.
Those txt tables are best edited using GrayFace's TxtEdit.
FTFY.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 10 Dec 2020, 09:12

Ah, good. Purpose-built tools are even better :)

Dkt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dkt » 14 Dec 2020, 16:49

Hey guys. I've managed to change respawn times for areas so thanks for that. Do you know of a way to reset artifacts and those test things that give skill points? I have cleard an area and got an artifact, then when i cleared the same area straight after there was no artifact in that same chest. There must be a respawn time limit on artifacts. Same with those test games. Not sure what they are called. On one site I've been on i think they called them braziers. Does anyone know where i can change the reset times for those? Thanks

Return to “Might and Magic”