Part 2 Michael Wolf (Level Designer) on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 The Forge, HoTA and more.

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Part 2 Michael Wolf (Level Designer) on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 The Forge, HoTA and more.

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 30 Oct 2020, 12:24

So, after staying up until 4 AM editing this video, it is finally ready for your viewing!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UIs1HTzoRVM

Since, like I mentioned, I stayed up until 4 AM editing, I'm sort of praying to Sandro there's no weird video glitches or editing mistakes in there. If there is, make sure you let me know!

What did you think of Part 2? Which part was your favorite?
Read full article...
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Part 2 Michael Wolf (Level Designer) on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 The Forge, HoTA and more.

Unread postby JSE » 30 Oct 2020, 15:30

Very nice that we finally get to see part 2! I like this one even better for the interesting curios. Good job!

I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that our (the CH users') questions didn't make it into the interview. I mean we're getting plenty of interesting information as it is -- so it's not really a big deal.

But maybe an idea for future interviews would be to dedicate a (small) portion purely to fan questions. What do you think?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Part 2 Michael Wolf (Level Designer) on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 The Forge, HoTA and more.

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Oct 2020, 17:29

We had 3 different threads regarding that interview. We made our questions on the one regarding the previous Interview, like this one is for the next. So, I think they were not used/seen. I already made my question on another thread, actually. Hopefully, it might be collected. Or I could repost here.

But I prefer JSE's idea of making a "CH asks your question!" thread for upcoming interviews. :)

This is the question:

Right. :idea: Nothing too exotic. It regards day and night cycle. Apparently it does exist in the game, although I don't know if each will be represented by a single turn, or if each turn means 1 hour, or your character's movement would represent the cycle itself. Anyway, I was wondering battles would have cycles of their own, starting a battle in the morning, finishing at night, something like that. And if that was the case, if it would make a player apt to jump in and out of battle to deal with other businesses on the map (as the rest of the world continues existing in the meantime, cycling). Or, if it would be simplistic, a turn is a cycle and battles would linger in that cycle regardlesss how many turns in-battle it would take. I am aware that the former situation would be a tad tricky to deal in multiplayer by my point of view, still, depending on how it would be designed, it could work, for I am not an expert.
Last edited by Panda Tar on 30 Oct 2020, 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 31 Oct 2020, 13:49

JSE wrote:Very nice that we finally get to see part 2! I like this one even better for the interesting curios. Good job!

I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that our (the CH users') questions didn't make it into the interview. I mean we're getting plenty of interesting information as it is -- so it's not really a big deal.

But maybe an idea for future interviews would be to dedicate a (small) portion purely to fan questions. What do you think?
I really thought I did take your questions into account and in to the interview. Part 1 does talk about the process of map testing, building maps from scratch, going from idea to finished product etc. But yes, my head was a overall mess that night so it's possible I missed some question(s).
"By the power of Zelas!"

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 01 Nov 2020, 18:54

Mhh, okay. I thought I watched the first part carefully enough -- but maybe I didn't?

I was particularly interested in the question of whether the NWC mapmakers typically started with a sketch and notes on paper or instead went for the editor right away. As far as I remember, this question didn't come up.

Anyway, though, it's not a big deal. :) The interview was wonderful, and gave us some nice insight into the development of the Heroes series from a different perspective. Well done!

Return to “News”