CH Interview with Michael Wolf

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Pol
Admin
Admin

CH Interview with Michael Wolf

Unread postby Pol » 05 Oct 2020, 22:18

Hi All!

Max is preparing another interview, this time with Heroes 3 Level Designer: Michael Wolf.

If you would like to ask anything about map designing, rules, odds or even AI reaction and map limitations, don't hesitate even a while and go for it! :D
Last edited by Pol on 05 Oct 2020, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: CH Interview with Michael Wolf

Unread postby JSE » 08 Oct 2020, 21:59

• What was your general approach when designing scenarios or campaigns for Heroes 3? Did you usually plan the map out beforehand and make sketches on paper, or did you immediately go to the editor and designed the map as you went along.

• How much playtesting did you (the whole NWC team) do for the average map?
Last edited by JSE on 08 Oct 2020, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 11 Oct 2020, 09:14

Knowing the writers did scripts beforehand, did the map makers always stick 100% to the scripts in regards of texts, landscape descriptions, specific structures being present or to what extend did the map makers have free hands to add in their own ideas or make changes?

When designing campaigns, did you work on them individually or did several map makers work on the same campaign?

Some generel insight in how the process from planning especially the campaigns from ideas and stories to designing each nation and individual campaign map went.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Oct 2020, 03:40

"I was wondering why the world was so small, actually. You would only expand on others' territory, but the world had no unexplored or uncontrolled continents, lands per se, really small parts, if any. There was always someone already there. And this snippet affected levels and campaigns, which could broaden the entire universe in many ways. I would like to know, if there was a plan of making the world more realistic regarding this subject."

This is what I asked on the other thread. Actually, there are 3 threads where I think we could ask this, hohoho.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Oct 2020, 21:54

Interview is done, this thread can be closed.

@Karmakeld & Panda
I'm almost sure that you asked too late. But, there might be something in part II. However, only Max knows that. :P
Last edited by Pol on 13 Oct 2020, 21:54, edited 2 times in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”