Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
pheYonyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby pheYonyx » 06 Sep 2020, 10:08

Roxterat wrote:That chest gave me an OP Spear, like Triton's or whatever, +70 water res, -70 fire res and water breath, so I guess it's a Relic since those always had something negative to deal with, but are even to more powerful (at least in original MM7).
MM8 just removed the categorization of Artifacts/Relics/Uniques (aka Special Items). They won't, while unidentified, show up in Action Bar as "...and an item (Artifact)", it'll be their item class instead, "...and an item (Spear)/(Trident)" in your case.
Roxterat wrote:And there are WAY too many dialogues that are just TOO opened for a player to deal with, Markham is the slightest. You can say Artifact to Catherine or Elf king and they just reward you. Just like that. :D
Oh and Oracle gives you a crapload of stuff too...
Neither of those gave me anything when I clicked that button but when I tried to run a test start in mm8, Dadeross, minotaur caravaneer in the Town Hall of Dagger Wound Island confirmed that Baltazar's Axe is genuine despite me just starting the game.
I don't really like that but now I will know to save before clicking and reloading if it will give me a free quest completion.

Sidenote: I think, that's missing tooltip info:
Druids are not listed in either of the tooltips, although both stat changes affect their spell points maximum (Intellect is more effective than Personality, question mark?). Neither are Paladins/Monks, although those need to be promoted before they can cast spells, so that's okay.
Last edited by pheYonyx on 08 Sep 2020, 04:18, edited 3 times in total.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 06 Sep 2020, 16:31

pheYonyx wrote: Sidenote: I think, that's missing tooltip info:

Druids are not listed in either of the tooltips, although both stat changes affect their spell points maximum (Intellect is more effective than Personality, question mark?). Neither are Paladins/Monks, although those need to be promoted before they can cast spells, so that's okay.
That's the original desc from MM8. Only those mana using chars mentined are possible classes in vanilla version.
That desc sure can use an update, or it can be edited in EnglishT.lod file using MMArchive..
Last edited by Roxterat on 06 Sep 2020, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

pheYonyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pheYonyx » 08 Sep 2020, 09:43

Also, i wonder, can i use GrayFace's mouselook stuff on Merge and, if i can, at what stage of game installation it should've been applied to?..
I would assume that regular patches are in as well, by default, considering how i can loot a chest multiple times in case of item generation overflow (that one particular chest in Barrow Downs of mm7 that always gets a ton of stuff put into it regardless of space).

Sidenote: got three more bugs.
1). A bunch of duped promoters on Dagger Wound Island (mm8 as a starter world) from Peasant class: 2 Knight promoters, 2 Druid and 2 Thief ones.
2). Master of the Sword, who meant to drop Plate armour from L6 item group, generated me a "relic" Axe.
3). In one of 7 restarts in mm8 i got a randomly generated PC in Training Center who was particularly glitchy. Level 1 Lich.
Last edited by pheYonyx on 08 Sep 2020, 10:34, edited 3 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Sep 2020, 12:49

pheYonyx wrote:Also, i wonder, can i use GrayFace's mouselook stuff on Merge and, if i can, at what stage of game installation it should've been applied to?..
Why not? After installation. Do not overwrite mm8.ini, just change option values. Though I've seen troubles with spell interaction (for example, Town Portal has automatically chosen its destination).
pheYonyx wrote: 1). A bunch of duped promoters on Dagger Wound Island (mm8 as a starter world) from Peasant class: 2 Knight promoters, 2 Druid and 2 Thief ones.
2). Master of the Sword, who meant to drop Plate armour from L6 item group, generated me a "relic" Axe.
3). In one of 7 restarts in mm8 i got a randomly generated PC in Training Center who was particularly glitchy. Level 1 Lich.
1) Classes are determined by skill. See Scripts/Global/PromotionTopics.lua closer to the end of file.
2) Artifacts and Relics are L6 there (see rnditems.txt from EnglishT.lod)...
3) I suspect he was not a Lich but Undead Sorcerer. NPCMercenaries.lua ignores continent/race restrictions.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 08 Sep 2020, 14:22

Golden Pyramid traders in Dragonsand can accidentally give you relics and artifacts. When trading accessories, it seems that you can gain almost any relic (even weapons and armour - I got Cronos, Amuck, Serendine's Preservation and Ares, for example). There might be a flag set wrong somewhere. I wonder if this can happen when making items out of stalt-laced ore too?
Last edited by Phobos on 08 Sep 2020, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

pheYonyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pheYonyx » 08 Sep 2020, 14:54

cthscr wrote:
pheYonyx wrote: 2). Master of the Sword, who meant to drop Plate armour from L6 item group, generated me a "relic" Axe.
2) Artifacts and Relics are L6 there (see rnditems.txt from EnglishT.lod)...
I am aware. It's just wrong item class. If i got a relic Plate armour, it would be fine. But a relic Axe, from an enemy that normally only drops Plate armour... Actually, it even was a mm8 item which showed up as "...and an item (Axe)".
cthscr wrote:
pheYonyx wrote: 3). In one of 7 restarts in mm8 i got a randomly generated PC in Training Center who was particularly glitchy. Level 1 Lich.
3) I suspect he was not a Lich but Undead Sorcerer. NPCMercenaries.lua ignores continent/race restrictions.
Yeah, undead Sorcerer with no model paper doll and no avatar prior to hiring. Elf avatar post-hiring. Voice was certainly not elven.
Also, for some reason, he was generated with Dagger and Staff skills but no Staff or Dagger in starter equipment. Had a Club and a Mace instead.
Last edited by pheYonyx on 08 Sep 2020, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Sep 2020, 17:27

pheYonyx wrote:Yeah, undead Sorcerer with no model paper doll and no avatar prior to hiring. Elf avatar post-hiring. Voice was certainly not elven.
Is pre-hire savegame available?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Sep 2020, 17:30

Phobos wrote:I wonder if this can happen when making items out of stalt-laced ore too?
AFAIK, yes: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/109

pheYonyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pheYonyx » 09 Sep 2020, 00:21

cthscr wrote:Is pre-hire savegame available?
If this — https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj0mkhq8ia3yg ... 8.dod?dl=0 is how it's done, then yes.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 09 Sep 2020, 05:42

That's Minotaur Lich with Face=69 (icon files starts with "LMin"). Shown properly in my installation (with 'rodril-fixes' on top). Check your Data/icons.lod, Data/patch.icons.lod, 'Data/Tables/Character portraits.txt'.

pheYonyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pheYonyx » 09 Sep 2020, 06:49

cthscr wrote:That's Minotaur Lich with Face=69 (icon files starts with "LMin"). Shown properly in my installation (with 'rodril-fixes' on top). Check your Data/icons.lod, Data/patch.icons.lod, 'Data/Tables/Character portraits.txt'.
How would i do that?
I don't understand anything code-related, might need a step by step for dummies.

P.S. Nice.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 09 Sep 2020, 09:14

qtish wrote:Yeah, if you would play MM8 world, you could savescum so many easy artifacts. Tree chest in Ravenshore. Chest behind Ogre Fortress in Alvar. Stone chest next to cyclops chest in Ironsand. 2-3 chests in dragon cave in Ironsand. Chest in tunnel under lava (heavily trapped). Its not a bad thing to give one easy artifact in MM7 world.
Yep, i used to save scum the Tree Chest in Ravenshore until it'd drop the Noblebone Bow. That bow made dealing with groups of enemies a lot easier. Especially if i made a beeline for Cauri Blackthorne to use that bow. Could then raid the Garrote Gorge Dragon Caves and strafe the dragonbreath while using the Noblebone Bow and Ithilgore's attack to stunlock the melee Dragons. Could then save scum the corpses and walk out of the Dragon Caves decked out in artifacts while still a low level.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 09 Sep 2020, 19:11

and it's shenanigans like that what makes including equipment value in the party average power for purposes of Bolster a thing.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 12 Sep 2020, 20:27

Hey peeps!
I got an issue, I've let my character learn any skill and now, well, the UI for skills and skill point distribution is too small.
I mean, I seem to be able to enhance any Weapon, Armor and Misc skill, but Magic skills got somehow cut (I can't see Light, Vampire etc., only first 7 on the list).
Any way I can access those? The UI somehow doesn't seem to let the list expand for Magic skills..
Thanks!

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 12 Sep 2020, 20:33

A pic of it, my char also knows Light and Vampire ability..
Last edited by Roxterat on 12 Sep 2020, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 12 Sep 2020, 22:36

Roxterat wrote:A pic of it, my char also knows Light and Vampire ability..
Now that I see that image, how do I change the hud of the game? By default it is mm8 but when I want to change it, the game closes, or I need to have the original mm6 and mm7 to be able to change it?

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 12 Sep 2020, 23:45

rampage77t wrote: Now that I see that image, how do I change the hud of the game? By default it is mm8 but when I want to change it, the game closes, or I need to have the original mm6 and mm7 to be able to change it?
In MMMerge you go to Options. In Video you can set the UI, can be like MM6, MM7 or MM8 or Continent Depending. I've also made a few changes in gamefiles for my convenience, just such with MMArchive anyone can do for themselves..
I still found a lot of features in UI not really grown to it's potential, but that's really a minor issure right now in this phase of making..

EDIT: Oh and if the game crashes once you change your UI, it might be because of the mm8.ini setting, I got the UILayout disabled so it works like this.
Last edited by Roxterat on 12 Sep 2020, 23:48, edited 2 times in total.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 13 Sep 2020, 08:11

This happens with terrain on MM7 maps, under certain view degree certain parts of ground are transparent.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 13 Sep 2020, 09:33

Oh yeah, MM6 mps too..

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 14 Sep 2020, 13:30

A test walk through my New Sorpigal with extra added units.
Can you find them all?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOprSIJ05OU

Return to “Might and Magic”