Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby Roxterat » 23 Aug 2020, 21:44

Treesprite17 wrote:
Roxterat wrote:Hello all,
I like MM7 bottle (potions) textures more than those in merged game,
is there a way to replace (activate) those instead?
Thank you, big fan here!
Hello! I cannot help you as I do not know myself but I would also love to know if this is possible. I love both MM6 and MM7 potion bottles so much more than MM8's :D
I believe the reason we got MM8 bottles is that the original game is MM8 we put the merge on, so there's no actual textures from previews games but lord I'd be complete with that! :)

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 24 Aug 2020, 14:57

Still having fun with this merge. I'm enjoying the additions as they come :)

There seems to be an interesting issue with at least some Enrothian quests now - they grant way too much reputation. I did "Destroy the evil crystal" in Bootleg Bay, and my Reputation immediately rose by 50 points. This plummeted all shop and training prices. "End the Winter" increased Reputation by 200, which is of course insane and made money a non-issue for the rest of the game. Have those numbers accidentally been pulled straight off of MM6 data without converting them to MM7/MM8 reputation?

I found a list by Mike Marcelais and J. Pike detailing quest rewards in MM6 and put it to the bottom part of this post. It seems accurate to me. Since reputation is counted differently in MM6, I would estimate that 50 points of Enroth reputation (referred to as "karma" in the link) would roughly equal 5 points of MM7/MM8 reputation. Another difference is that in MM6 reputation declines, whereas in MM7-8, it doesn't go down over time. If it does indeed stay constant in the merge, I would divide the rewards by an additional 2 in order to keep Enroth reputation from sky-rocketing, so 50 points would be 2,5. Since reputation in MM6 is shared through the continent, completing all the quests results in the decline of all the shopping prices everywhere in the land. This is why I think you might want to consider not giving more than 5 for any quest, so that Enroth isn't the only place worth doing shopping in. It will eventually become the cheapest land to shop anyway, but at least now you'd have to work for it.

I would suggest scaling the rewards listed in that link so that that 50 points become 2 and 100/200 become 5 to avoid sky-high reputation. Even this would result in high reputation toward the end. If you donate first at a temple, then complete all the quests except the candelabra (which would be -5) and do a couple of bounty hunts, it will be something like 90 before freeing Archibald. From MM7's Troglodyte Slaying quest, we know that 50 is enough to make trade prices really sweet. I would fix the bug with Loretta's price fixing quest and give it +5 to reputation instead of the penalty (or 0 if you want), and I would maybe give a penalty of 20-40 for freeing Archibald to stay true to the original (and I would give the same penalty for becoming a Baa follower or healing with the Curator of Kriegspire). I suppose -5 would be a suitable penalty for other actions such as looting sarcophaguses.

https://the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.C ... m6.html#tq
Last edited by Phobos on 24 Aug 2020, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 24 Aug 2020, 15:25

Speaking of reputation, I was wondering if it could now be implemented to MM8 quest rewards? I made a suggestion for the possible bonuses; here's a link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VXRPnZ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Phobos on 24 Aug 2020, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.

LordInsane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordInsane » 24 Aug 2020, 20:59

Phobos wrote:Speaking of reputation, I was wondering if it could now be implemented to MM8 quest rewards? I made a suggestion for the possible bonuses; here's a link:

You might want to change the permissions on that link, it doesn't seem to be publicly viewable.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 25 Aug 2020, 03:00

I've just made it to certain point in game and.. Verdant? Really? WHY?
Nothing kills the mood of this game series more like a rawring pathetic little girl.
Just letting it happen, to be able to travel everywhere would come a lot better.
It's my opinion but excuse me, that rascal doesn't belong there, as if we didn't got enoug of the sci-fi manure.
There's a lot of good content in the project for sure, just this part is all cringe worthy killer.
Regards anyway.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 25 Aug 2020, 04:11

LordInsane wrote:
Phobos wrote:Speaking of reputation, I was wondering if it could now be implemented to MM8 quest rewards? I made a suggestion for the possible bonuses; here's a link:

You might want to change the permissions on that link, it doesn't seem to be publicly viewable.
What about now?

LordInsane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordInsane » 25 Aug 2020, 10:41

Phobos wrote:
LordInsane wrote:You might want to change the permissions on that link, it doesn't seem to be publicly viewable.
What about now?
Works now, indeed.

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 25 Aug 2020, 11:22

In the place you get the heart of the wood in the building in Tatalia, when you click on the wine holders, an Icon comes out instead of the bottle. There must be missing textures/meshes?

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 25 Aug 2020, 13:51

Hey, can I ask you developing people where can I found the algorithm for what music is played on some Enroth palces? I'd like to take a look at that..

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 25 Aug 2020, 18:09

Also, why are there no fines to pay or even reputation penalties when I kill any citizens? I often like to do that. Citizens and guards seem to not even care about each other getting smashed by me..

Swish3rTwist3r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Swish3rTwist3r » 25 Aug 2020, 23:09

First time posting, fantastic work on this mod, boy is this fun and very exciting to play through in current state.

Content wise, I couldn't be happier with this mod, my reason for posting is I am experiencing some pretty serious performance issues. My rig is a 9900k and 2070 super, I usually can run anything, however, it seems that in areas with just semi-dense enemies I go down to what must be 3-5 fps. Serious clipping and pauses so long I will have sworn I've crashed but always do seem to recover. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Has anyone else had this severe of an issue? Just to cite to locations both evenmorn island and corligan's estate were particularly bad. But I've had a shakey experience elsewhere. It's pretty frequent.

Thanks again for hard work, I overall really enjoy this mod.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 26 Aug 2020, 00:02

If you are playing on bolster monster, probably you got too many monsters in one area. Game engine wasnt designed to handle that many.

Swish3rTwist3r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Swish3rTwist3r » 26 Aug 2020, 01:01

Maybe I'm not completely understanding but I had thought that bolster would only apply to a party that had beaten one of the story lines, or at least traveled to another continent. The issues I experienced in corligan's estate were with a level 6 party, I always rush that quest line in mm6. I do have the mod settings default so if this isn't the case then maybe it is the problem.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 26 Aug 2020, 04:12

Roxterat wrote:Also, why are there no fines to pay or even reputation penalties when I kill any citizens? I often like to do that. Citizens and guards seem to not even care about each other getting smashed by me..
I think it's because there are no penalties for killing civilians in vanilla mm8, so if we want them back for mm6/mm7 they would have to be implemented into the game.
Swish3rTwist3r wrote:My rig is a 9900k and 2070 super, I usually can run anything, however, it seems that in areas with just semi-dense enemies I go down to what must be 3-5 fps.
Right-click mm8.exe and go to properties, then uncheck the compatibility mode, if I remember correctly it is set to w95 and that's putting a handicap on your machine, regardless of how powerful it is.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Aug 2020, 13:30

-1 Reputation for killing a peasant plus a small fine would make sense IMO.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 26 Aug 2020, 17:16

Phobos wrote:-1 Reputation for killing a peasant plus a small fine would make sense IMO.
It was -1 for MM7 if I remember well and much more for MM6, also fine value based on current reputation in region in MM7..
Rep mechanics are just so different in all of the 3 games, so it's kinda challenging to make up for them, but somewhat doable.. I'd love to perhaps try and do some things myself..

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 26 Aug 2020, 17:20

Swish3rTwist3r wrote:First time posting, fantastic work on this mod, boy is this fun and very exciting to play through in current state.
Yeah like joanthedark said, took me 2 hours to find out that my game was running with win95 compatibility, like duh..

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 26 Aug 2020, 17:25

joanthedark wrote:
Roxterat wrote:Also, why are there no fines to pay or even reputation penalties when I kill any citizens? I often like to do that. Citizens and guards seem to not even care about each other getting smashed by me..
I think it's because there are no penalties for killing civilians in vanilla mm8, so if we want them back for mm6/mm7 they would have to be implemented into the game.
The Reputation.lua file in \Scripts\Global looks promising, but obviously doesn't work in the way it describes.. wanna make a change in that..

Wondersausage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wondersausage » 26 Aug 2020, 22:25

Swish3rTwist3r wrote:Content wise, I couldn't be happier with this mod, my reason for posting is I am experiencing some pretty serious performance issues. My rig is a 9900k and 2070 super, I usually can run anything, however, it seems that in areas with just semi-dense enemies I go down to what must be 3-5 fps. Serious clipping and pauses so long I will have sworn I've crashed but always do seem to recover. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Has anyone else had this severe of an issue? Just to cite to locations both evenmorn island and corligan's estate were particularly bad. But I've had a shakey experience elsewhere. It's pretty frequent.
I experienced this but only in really large density dungeons like Castle Alamos. It doesn't seem to be related to the density of enemies per se, but the "activated" enemies (ones that have detected your presence and started moving around), so I think it's just single-core bottlenecking of the game's AI. I think it's worse when there is a mix of enemy types since there are different AIs to process. For example I didn't have the problem in places with really high density of homogeneous enemy types such as the huge cavern of dwarves in Snergle's.

I can't say for certain if this happened on original hardware but I don't remember it being a problem. Oddly, I seem to have experienced it less than you, even though my 9920X 12-core is slower per-core than your 9900K and all of those extra cores don't matter for MM.
Last edited by Wondersausage on 26 Aug 2020, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 27 Aug 2020, 13:46

I guess that these slowdowns may be due to the improved pathing algorithm added by Rodril. If I'm not wrong, there should be a setting to turn it off if this problem makes some areas impossible to play.
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Return to “Might and Magic”