Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ezeck
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby Ezeck » 18 Aug 2020, 00:47

Rodril wrote:
Ezeck wrote:Hi, here is my save
Thank you. Everything seems fine. Try to install latest patch (link is in the fisrt post), load your save game, spend one week of game time somehow, then travel to any other map and wait 10 minutes of game time. Verdant should catch you right away. Tell me if it works.
Will do, I keep you posted.
Much appreciated.

Ezeck
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ezeck » 18 Aug 2020, 07:41

Ezeck wrote:
Rodril wrote:
Ezeck wrote:Hi, here is my save
Thank you. Everything seems fine. Try to install latest patch (link is in the fisrt post), load your save game, spend one week of game time somehow, then travel to any other map and wait 10 minutes of game time. Verdant should catch you right away. Tell me if it works.
Will do, I keep you posted.
Much appreciated.
Hi,

Applied latest patch, traveled a little, and met Verdant in Harmondale, giving me the quest. Works as expected.

Thank You.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 18 Aug 2020, 13:05

Wondersausage wrote:Help sure appreciated - Save game http://www.pcdominion.com/quicksave.lod
Thank you. I could not figure out, what causes that. When i load this savegame, guards are not hostile for me (at least in New Sorpigal).
Try to do following:
1. Put this file into "Data\Tables" folder, replacing existing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg1ynu8r5aaxh ... s.txt?dl=0
2. Launch game and load your savegame.
3. Enter any map with previously hostile guards, if they are hostile, open debug console with ctrl+f1 and execute this code with ctrl+enter:

Code: Select all

for i,v in Map.Monsters do
		if v.Group == 38 or v.Group == 55 then
			v.Hostile = false
		end
	end
4. Check if they will become hostile again anytime soon, and tell me if they do.
I need more time to understand what could cause it.

Treesprite17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Treesprite17 » 19 Aug 2020, 12:46

This mod is fabulous, but I have noticed some audio issues with regards to your party members.

I have reinstalled freshly following exact instructions. I tested with and without community patch being applied also, but had same problem both with and without it.

I am noticing party characters voices not reacting to getting hit as much ('Owww!' and various grunts etc), nor are they commenting as much when they defeat an opponent ('That was easy!', 'Chalk one up for the Big guy!') etc

To test, I just made an MM7 portrait party on emerald isle (default voices kept) in the merged game version and compared to making the same MM7 party in the standard GOG version of MM7. The merged version has much much less party voice action during fights compared to the standard version, they rarely say 'oww' when hit or comment

Someone had the same problems in a forum thread I found when searching the problem, perhaps they explained it better than me, they seemed to do a lot of testing, Here is the link to it, its discussed on last page by BelgarathMTH
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/7 ... rge-mod/p3

Does anyone else have this problem, or have any idea how I fix it, I love the party voices and having it decreased so much lowers my immersion and enjoyment of the game but yet the merged version is otherwise just so fantastic.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 19 Aug 2020, 16:48

And to quote myself from the thread you quoted:
It's comparable to using Baldur's Gate voice sets in Icewind Dale - MM7 and 8 have more voice clips than 6 did, so there are situations where the MM6 heads say nothing when they logically should.
MM8 (the basis for the merge) has different conditions for the dialog cues, so there isn't a 1:1 correlation between what fires a line in MM7 and what fires the same line in MM8 or MMMerge. It can be fixed, but you'll still have silent situations for stuff where MM8 has new cues compared to MM7/MM6 (especially MM6).
Last edited by raekuul on 19 Aug 2020, 16:52, edited 2 times in total.

Treesprite17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Treesprite17 » 19 Aug 2020, 22:44

raekuul wrote:And to quote myself from the thread you quoted:
It's comparable to using Baldur's Gate voice sets in Icewind Dale - MM7 and 8 have more voice clips than 6 did, so there are situations where the MM6 heads say nothing when they logically should.
MM8 (the basis for the merge) has different conditions for the dialog cues, so there isn't a 1:1 correlation between what fires a line in MM7 and what fires the same line in MM8 or MMMerge. It can be fixed, but you'll still have silent situations for stuff where MM8 has new cues compared to MM7/MM6 (especially MM6).

Hi, thank you for the response, and to be clear, I am sorry if I am misunderstanding you here.

I am using MM7 characters only, to test, with their default MM7 voices.

I am using the exact same MM7 characters to test in both the mmerge and MM7 GOG version.

I understand MM6 would have less character sounds than MM8 characters, due to being an older game with less character sounds etc. But this is not relevant to my testing, as I have picked specifically MM7 characters to compare against eachother for this reason.

Unless you are saying, that the MMMerge uses MM8 engine therefore the MM7 characters will not trigger sounds most of the time for being attacked, compared to MM7 GOG version, due to engine limitations?

Hope I make sense and thanks again for taking time to respond

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 19 Aug 2020, 23:49

I don't have an exhaustive list of what sounds work and what sounds don't, but in general the MM6 and MM7 characters will be missing a lot of their sound events simply due to the engine change. The MM8 engine is looking to fire sounds for events that didn't exist in MM7, and MM7 has sounds for events that no longer exist in MM8. There would need to be a fairly intensive investigation and remapping project in order to get the full sound experience.

And yeah, this bugs me too. There are a lot of sounds from the MM6 heads that end up going unused.

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 20 Aug 2020, 17:49

Does anyone know if there is a fix for the "cheering" sound that the MM6 character makes? Currently when they defeat an enemy they *sigh* instead of *cheer* Im sure its just a wrong input in the files somewhere, but can it be solved?

Wondersausage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wondersausage » 20 Aug 2020, 18:51

Rodril wrote:
Wondersausage wrote:Help sure appreciated - Save game http://www.pcdominion.com/quicksave.lod
Thank you. I could not figure out, what causes that. When i load this savegame, guards are not hostile for me (at least in New Sorpigal).
Try to do following:
1. Put this file into "Data\Tables" folder, replacing existing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg1ynu8r5aaxh ... s.txt?dl=0
2. Launch game and load your savegame.
3. Enter any map with previously hostile guards, if they are hostile, open debug console with ctrl+f1 and execute this code with ctrl+enter:

Code: Select all

for i,v in Map.Monsters do
		if v.Group == 38 or v.Group == 55 then
			v.Hostile = false
		end
	end
4. Check if they will become hostile again anytime soon, and tell me if they do.
I need more time to understand what could cause it.
Thank you!!! I've had to run the script 3-4 times (particularly after traveling) but now things seem to have settled down, and I know I can always use the script again if it reoccurs. So far, so good. That helped a ton.

Wondersausage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wondersausage » 20 Aug 2020, 18:52

Anybody know how to get the cheat engine to work on characters 2-5?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 21 Aug 2020, 06:51

raekuul wrote:I don't have an exhaustive list of what sounds work and what sounds don't, but in general the MM6 and MM7 characters will be missing a lot of their sound events simply due to the engine change.
I've made a [almost finished] table for MM6 malea (Roderick): https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/ ... _390394314
See also https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... Expression - it lacks info on MM7 since I haven't finished MM6 yet.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 22 Aug 2020, 03:20

Treesprite17 wrote:
I believe the reason for this is because the mod is based on top of MM8, and characters in this game don't dialogue as frequent as MM7 ones while taking damage and stuff, so migrating MM7 areas and characters had the consequence of them "adapting" to MM8 code and resulting in what we have at the moment, so even if you test MM7 characters with their default voices, the triggers that cause them to constantly talk might not be there in MM8.

I am not from the dev team so it is all speculation, but I'm inclined to believe this theory because up until recently MM6 unique enemies had no unique names because the way MM6 did it was different from MM8 and that caused them to have regular enemy names in the merge, so there will be tiny details like these that slip away and only veterans who played these games from head to toe will be able to notice. That was fixed in a recent patch though so there is hope that MM7 dialogue gets fixed eventually!

Then again it could have been dev choice to leave it like that, so an answer from Rodril would be more insightful than mine.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 22 Aug 2020, 09:47

Hello all,
I like MM7 bottle (potions) textures more than those in merged game,
is there a way to replace (activate) those instead?
Thank you, big fan here!

Wormwood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wormwood » 22 Aug 2020, 16:01

Greetings!

MM6, 7, and 8 have always been among my favorite games and I'm loving this mod a lot!

I started a new playthrough of MM7 and having a blast, from the character creation itself to being able to get loot from all three games.

That said, I have encountered a few issues, listed below;

1) Most crucial is that the party follower icon does not seem to work at all, which was fine up untill the wizard promotion quest, which is now uncompletable, so a literally game-breaking bug. If I only get a solution to this issue I'd be quite happy (as the rest could be considered nitpicks)!

2) Ebeneezer in Tularean Forest doesn't have his quest complete dialogue, though the quest itself completes fine.

3) Relics with good/evil alignments are equipable before choosing a path, again, not really game-breaking or anything, but feels odd.

4) Took a peek at MM6, and while I loved the new town guard NPCs, the Misc skills guild membership sellers still offer the buy guild membership option, which I feel takes you out of the game a bit....

Again, my main issue is with #1, that is, the followes icon being broken, which I'd very much love to have a solution for, please and thanks!

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 22 Aug 2020, 18:24

Wormwood wrote:the party follower icon does not seem to work at all
Works fine for me. You should provide more info.

Roxterat
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roxterat » 22 Aug 2020, 20:24

I found that lord Markham on Emerald Isle is Congratulating you whenever you want and even then straight after he's willing to give you a Quill regardless of any letter you have or not.. Sweet Markhie. :)
Last edited by Roxterat on 22 Aug 2020, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 23 Aug 2020, 16:25

The new version of russian localization is done! There should be no errors due to the loc. in the latest version of the mod (16.08.20). The names of the items have been translated in accordance with the "Subtiers of Items". In general, the translation has been improved and corrected. :)
Link to download: https://dropmefiles.com/9wkOu

If you notice an error in the text or incorrect display of it in-game - write to me.
Last edited by Maslyonok on 23 Aug 2020, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Treesprite17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Treesprite17 » 23 Aug 2020, 19:48

raekuul wrote:I don't have an exhaustive list of what sounds work and what sounds don't, but in general the MM6 and MM7 characters will be missing a lot of their sound events simply due to the engine change. The MM8 engine is looking to fire sounds for events that didn't exist in MM7, and MM7 has sounds for events that no longer exist in MM8. There would need to be a fairly intensive investigation and remapping project in order to get the full sound experience.

And yeah, this bugs me too. There are a lot of sounds from the MM6 heads that end up going unused.
I see, yes. That makes sense to me now. Thanks for the response. Hopefully one day it can be made to work, I live in hope as I love having chatty party members :)

Treesprite17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Treesprite17 » 23 Aug 2020, 19:51

joanthedark wrote:
Treesprite17 wrote:
I believe the reason for this is because the mod is based on top of MM8, and characters in this game don't dialogue as frequent as MM7 ones while taking damage and stuff, so migrating MM7 areas and characters had the consequence of them "adapting" to MM8 code and resulting in what we have at the moment, so even if you test MM7 characters with their default voices, the triggers that cause them to constantly talk might not be there in MM8.

I am not from the dev team so it is all speculation, but I'm inclined to believe this theory because up until recently MM6 unique enemies had no unique names because the way MM6 did it was different from MM8 and that caused them to have regular enemy names in the merge, so there will be tiny details like these that slip away and only veterans who played these games from head to toe will be able to notice. That was fixed in a recent patch though so there is hope that MM7 dialogue gets fixed eventually!

Then again it could have been dev choice to leave it like that, so an answer from Rodril would be more insightful than mine.
Yes that makes sense, that was my worry also, that it was perhaps some kind of engine limitation. I was hoping it would be an easy fix. Who knows though - you are right it is speculation on our side, hopefully Rodril may be able to shed some light for us at some point on whether it is possible and may eventually be fixable :)

Treesprite17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Treesprite17 » 23 Aug 2020, 19:52

Roxterat wrote:Hello all,
I like MM7 bottle (potions) textures more than those in merged game,
is there a way to replace (activate) those instead?
Thank you, big fan here!
Hello! I cannot help you as I do not know myself but I would also love to know if this is possible. I love both MM6 and MM7 potion bottles so much more than MM8's :D

Return to “Might and Magic”