Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 19.04.2020]

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Jun 2020, 10:47

joanthedark wrote:2. Why are there no unique enemy names in Enroth? Silvertongue (council traitor) name is the same as a regular Priest of Baa, "Lurch" from Castle Kriegspire is named "Minotaur Lord", "Longfang Witherhide" is a "Red Dragon", and so on. The mm8 engine is capable of showing unique names, such as "Jeric Whistlebone" in Garrote Gorge.
Okay, I was wrong earlier. Luckily. They can be added.
Placemon.txt should be put into DataFiles.
15 map files from here should be put into Scripts/Maps/: 6d02.lua, 6d04.lua, 6d05.lua, 6d08.lua, 6d14.lua, 6d17.lua, 6d19.lua, 6t6.lua, 7d28.lua, cd2.lua, cd3.lua, pyramid.lua, zddb01.lua, zdwj02.lua, znwc.lua

(Or use branch 'master' from our gitlab repo. But there are changes from Rodril's version there.)

jeremy001
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jeremy001 » 09 Jun 2020, 17:33

Please can you help me? I am very confused, the quests dont work, i have completed a lot of quests and i am trying to click to quest and nothing happned, please can someone help me what to do with it? I realy love this game...

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 09 Jun 2020, 19:18

sounds like your install is corrupt (this problem happened to me and several others).

Reinstall Might and Magic 8 to a new folder, then install the Merge onto that folder, then test the game before trying to further update the game with patches.

jeremy001
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jeremy001 » 09 Jun 2020, 21:32

i tryed it serval times, i have original gog version, than merge, patch grom grey unchecked two boxes about mods, and start game... nothing... i tryed too use community branch so original game, merge, delete scripts folder, copy comunity branch than patch... nothing... i am desperate, i have no idea what i am doing wrong...
one time didnt work no taking quests so i wasnt able to read anyting, no text was there... i fixed it already it was instal problem but now i complete quest and its not possible to complete it in npc... :tired:

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 10 Jun 2020, 03:39

jeremy001 wrote:i tryed it serval times, i have original gog version, than merge, patch grom grey unchecked two boxes about mods, and start game... nothing... i tryed too use community branch so original game, merge, delete scripts folder, copy comunity branch than patch... nothing... i am desperate, i have no idea what i am doing wrong...
one time didnt work no taking quests so i wasnt able to read anyting, no text was there... i fixed it already it was instal problem but now i complete quest and its not possible to complete it in npc... :tired:
This happens sometimes, but i have no idea, what exactly cause this.
If somehow you can put your entire mm8 game folder into archive and send to me, probably i will find issue, otherwise - make sure, you using correct download link (size is about 2gb), and localization is up to date.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 10 Jun 2020, 05:53

cthscr wrote:Okay, I was wrong earlier. Luckily. They can be added.
Placemon.txt should be put into DataFiles.
15 map files from here should be put into Scripts/Maps/: 6d02.lua, 6d04.lua, 6d05.lua, 6d08.lua, 6d14.lua, 6d17.lua, 6d19.lua, 6t6.lua, 7d28.lua, cd2.lua, cd3.lua, pyramid.lua, zddb01.lua, zdwj02.lua, znwc.lua

(Or use branch 'master' from our gitlab repo. But there are changes from Rodril's version there.)
I tried this fix but when I meet Longfang:

Once inside:

jeremy001
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jeremy001 » 10 Jun 2020, 08:53

Rodril wrote:
jeremy001 wrote:i tryed it serval times, i have original gog version, than merge, patch grom grey unchecked two boxes about mods, and start game... nothing... i tryed too use community branch so original game, merge, delete scripts folder, copy comunity branch than patch... nothing... i am desperate, i have no idea what i am doing wrong...
This happens sometimes, but i have no idea, what exactly cause this.
If somehow you can put your entire mm8 game folder into archive and send to me, probably i will find issue, otherwise - make sure, you using correct download link (size is about 2gb), and localization is up to date.
thank you, i sent you PM with link

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 10 Jun 2020, 08:57

joanthedark wrote:I tried this fix but when I meet Longfang:
Oh, shi... You have to remove or comment out (add two hyphens '--' at the start of) lines 'Log(Merge.Log.Info, "...")' in lua files for Base Merge.
Last edited by cthscr on 10 Jun 2020, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

clement
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby clement » 10 Jun 2020, 10:03

Hi everybody,

(Sorry for my English, I'm not native...)

I've just discover this amazing project. So, I've tried to install by following instructions and I've a problem : MM8 can be launched but I can't start a new game (I click but it does nothing).

I have this report :
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...ément\Desktop\MM8\Scripts\General\1_TownPortalSwitch.lua:87: array index (103) out of bounds [0, 61]

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
...ément\Desktop\MM8\Scripts\General\1_TownPortalSwitch.lua:87: in function 'ProcessTPTable'
...ément\Desktop\MM8\Scripts\General\1_TownPortalSwitch.lua:221: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of '__index':
t = (table: 0x042d55c8)
a = 103
v = nil

local variables of '__index':
aorig = 103
a1 = 103
n = 62

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
u4 = (table: 0x014ec500)
GetPtr = (function: 0x032888f0)
obj = (table: 0x032c8ad0)
o = 6188544
assertnum = (function: 0x03294c60)
error = (function: 0x01622768)
type = (function: builtin#3)
SetLen = (function: 0x04253fa0)
low = 0
GetLen = (function: 0x04253ef8)
lenP = 6193780
lenA = (table: 0x014ec0f8)
count = 77
size = 68
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
beyondLen = nil
f = (function: 0x04253e68)
format = (function: builtin#91)
sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
tostring = (function: builtin#18)
tostring2 = (function: 0x03294cc8)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
For installing, I do all of that :
- Install the GOG version of MM8
- Copy to another path all the files
- Install (and replace the files) of the 19.04.2020 version (first link of the first post here)
- delete all scripts files and install the patch of 26.05.2020
- install the Gray Face patch

I've the same problem before installing Gray Face patch.

Did I make a mistake ?

Thanks a lot !

Clément

fkirenicus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fkirenicus » 10 Jun 2020, 10:16

cthscr wrote:
Oh, shi... You have to remove or comment out (add two hyphens '--' at the start of) lines 'Log(Merge.Log.Info, "...")' in lua files for Base Merge.
Could you elaborate this? I have this error often as well after I tried the fix you posted links to. Not sure what you are referring to by "lua files for Base Merge".

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 11 Jun 2020, 20:41

joanthedark wrote:Bump
fkirenicus wrote:
cthscr wrote:
Could you elaborate this? I have this error often as well after I tried the fix you posted links to. Not sure what you are referring to by "lua files for Base Merge".
I've made enough changes in Community version (aka Comm Merge) that are absent in Rodril's vanilla Merge (aka Base Merge). So there are log messages in Scripts/Maps/*.lua
Here are fixed maps. (At least Morcarack is shown properly.)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jun 2020, 21:14

Ok, picked up the latest patch (May 26th), I'm actually curious about this pathfinding thing! Sorry about no bug reports recently, just haven't been playing. You can be sure I'll provide a lot of those when I get to playing again!

EDIT: Cheers on the multiple quick spells mechanic, that's definitely a modern game design element that M&M could use for sure! The F keys are not too handy under the fingers though, and with so many spells set, it's super easy to lose track what they are. So the next logical step would be to add a small bar with 5 clickable icons above the character bar, so they could be clicked in free mouse mode as well. I wonder if something like this could be implemented. Of course that would require redrawing or otherwise scaling down the spell pictures to be identifiable in small icon format such as this, but it's definitely something to think about, don't you think?
Last edited by Xfing on 11 Jun 2020, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jun 2020, 21:32

Actually here's one bug already: when I play with the new interface (Win XP SP3 compatibility mode, hardware accelarated), when I try to Lloyd to Dragonsand from Murmurwoods, I get the following error:

Application Error: Exception ELayoutException in module MM8patch.dll at 000642F3. UI Layout, line 60: Negative coordinate: (53, -21 .. 106, 31).

Seems like the option for the interface to change between continents is not safe to use at the moment.

EDIT: Also, 200% bolster seems to have seemingly every monster in the game at 30000 hp. Is that intentional? I'm not sure how the new bolster mechanics are supposed to work yet haha
Last edited by Xfing on 11 Jun 2020, 22:50, edited 3 times in total.

fkirenicus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fkirenicus » 12 Jun 2020, 07:06

cthscr wrote:
joanthedark wrote:Bump
I've made enough changes in Community version (aka Comm Merge) that are absent in Rodril's vanilla Merge (aka Base Merge). So there are log messages in Scripts/Maps/*.lua
Here are fixed maps. (At least Morcarack is shown properly.)
Nice, thanks! :-D

fkirenicus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fkirenicus » 13 Jun 2020, 15:05

I've seen some posts talking about a replacement for mm8.che, was this project ever finished? I cannot find any download links to it...
Or, does someone know the item code for a wand of implosion? I just gotta finish Morcarack somehow... ;-)
As I understand it, to use the debug console I need to do this;
1. Open debug console with ctrl+f1.
2. Type: evt[0].Add{"Inventory", 172}
3. Press ctrl+enter to execute it.

Never mind, sorted out. :-)
Last edited by fkirenicus on 13 Jun 2020, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.

J. M. Sower
Scout
Scout

Unread postby J. M. Sower » 13 Jun 2020, 16:04

Inspired by new possibility in Merge mod of setting four quick spells for each party member I have made new element of interface (mainly for UI Layout in Hardware mode but it can be also viewed in normal mode). I just thought that with so many quick spells it can be difficult to remember where is which spell. I made it for my modification with different interface color, but it can be quickly modified for needs of Merge mod. But for now it is not finished. I must to do all miniatures of spells and implement to my mod that possibility of setting four quick spells (for now script is using only first, standard quick spell for each character). What do you think? If Rodril will want it in Merge I can send this when it will be finished. ;)

Last edited by J. M. Sower on 13 Jun 2020, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 13 Jun 2020, 19:53

J. M. Sower wrote:Inspired by new possibility in Merge mod of setting four quick spells for each party member I have made new element of interface (mainly for UI Layout in Hardware mode but it can be also viewed in normal mode). I just thought that with so many quick spells it can be difficult to remember where is which spell. I made it for my modification with different interface color, but it can be quickly modified for needs of Merge mod. But for now it is not finished. I must to do all miniatures of spells and implement to my mod that possibility of setting four quick spells (for now script is using only first, standard quick spell for each character). What do you think? If Rodril whants it in Merge I can send this when it will be finished. ;)
Wow. Look like, two posts above. I literally called for something like this. You're a mind reader or something hahaha

Shadow_Wulfe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shadow_Wulfe » 13 Jun 2020, 20:28

Awesome mod.

I seem to have run into a bug.

I have finished M&M 6 and 7 using a party started in 6. I entered Jadame through Shadowspire, did a quest or two there, and went to Ravenshore to figure out how to start the main quest for MM8, however, entering any building causes the HUD to disappear on exiting the building with the game subsequently crashing about 30-40s later.

I'm not sure if there is a workaround to this or if this is the end of the line.

I am using the GOG verson -> Merge -> Fully Featured Community Branch.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 14 Jun 2020, 01:13

I'd like to update to the latest version of the merge to gain access to the new spell hotkeys, but honestly, from what i've been reading here, my 5/31/2019 version of the mod seems a hell of a lot more stable than the more recent updates. A LOT of the bugs that i've been reading about lately, i simply don't come across in my older version, and other than the spell hotkeys, i really don't see a big enough reason to update and risk breaking my game.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 14 Jun 2020, 11:16

I asked Rodril for directions so I can help with updating the flavor text of different items who have it identical (mostly MM6 and MM7 variations of one item), we'll see if I can help there myself. As for stability - I haven't noticed any crashes other than the not yet ready hi-res MM6 interface.

Return to “Might and Magic”