Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 19.04.2020]

Unread postby Dess » 21 Apr 2020, 19:18

Running out of mana after casting a spell using the F-keys will not make the active character do a normal attack, you hear the spell sound but nothing happens and the active character does nothing, nor does it move on to the next character in line.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 22 Apr 2020, 07:37

tomchen1989 wrote:

Code: Select all

[-] Data\icons.lod:cd1.evt                   not sure if this one matters
[-] Data\icons.lod:cd2.evt                   not sure if this one matters
[-] Data\icons.lod:cd3.evt                   not sure if this one matters
MM7's leftovers of MM6. Located in a wrong place, so there shouldn't be any effect.
tomchen1989 wrote:

Code: Select all

[-] Data\icons.lod:lwspiral.evt              not sure if this one matters
MM7's leftover of MM6's leftover of development time. Once again, located in a wrong place.
Last edited by cthscr on 22 Apr 2020, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Ritchi11
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ritchi11 » 26 Apr 2020, 08:09

Two questions: how to enable 4 quick spells and how to move between continents (the city portal does not work except Enrota). Thank you in advance!

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Apr 2020, 08:48

cthscr wrote: :gong:
Templayer wrote: :gong:
We´ve gotten a feature request from Sibernethy on his last MM8 stream. ;) See it here:
https://clips.twitch.tv/MoralHandsomeHornetSoonerLater
Yes?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 26 Apr 2020, 15:44

Dess wrote:Running out of mana after casting a spell using the F-keys will not make the active character do a normal attack, you hear the spell sound but nothing happens and the active character does nothing, nor does it move on to the next character in line.
I've fixed it in new patch (posted yesterday), check the first post.
Ritchi11 wrote:Two questions: how to enable 4 quick spells and how to move between continents (the city portal does not work except Enrota). Thank you in advance!
Make sure, you have latest mod version (download and apply "Update" from the first post). You'll see new 4 buttons in spellbook, default keybinds are F5, F6, F7, F8, you can reassign them in "Extra settings menu".
Once your main character reach certain amount of experience, ingame npc will contact you and explain how to travel between continents. If you are too eager and want to do it right now, use spoiler: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjz4c4kppxxw9 ... s.png?dl=0

Ritchi11
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ritchi11 » 26 Apr 2020, 17:26

Version from April 19, downloaded and installed-April 21, there are no buttons in the menu, except for the standard ones. Perhaps you need to configure something in mm8. ini ? For the spoiler - thank you very much! Verdant already 2 times met, but Pro displacement - until silent, only sphere of gave and quest extract Telelocator have gnomes in Alvar

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 27 Apr 2020, 11:05

Ritchi11 wrote:Perhaps you need to configure something in mm8. ini ?
No.

Do you have all of these graphic elements?
1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe8mboxwh41yta0/QS_1.png?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hn647wmg00nxu3/QS_2.png?dl=0
3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/iee2h2893c0ia9a/QS_3.png?dl=0
Last edited by Rodril on 27 Apr 2020, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 28 Apr 2020, 09:16

Hey guys I have a couple of questions, some might be more technical or asking about design choices (so maybe only Rodril can answer some of them):

1. Is there a way to replace enemies with their strongest counterpart? For example New Sorpigal spawning every Goblin/Shaman and Apprentice/Journeyman as Goblin King and Mage.

2. Why are there no unique enemy names in Enroth? Silvertongue (council traitor) name is the same as a regular Priest of Baa, "Lurch" from Castle Kriegspire is named "Minotaur Lord", "Longfang Witherhide" is a "Red Dragon", and so on. The mm8 engine is capable of showing unique names, such as "Jeric Whistlebone" in Garrote Gorge.

3. About Character Voices:

- Damage voices (moaning sounds): For example the minotaur in mm8 has them (so the engine is capable), but mm6 and specially mm7 (because of their iconic "Just a small wound" "What a scratch", etc) characters lack it. Instead of talking, an array of fx sounds play when they get damaged (such as the "bonk" when take fall damage).

- The Low Health/Tomb voices of mm6 characters are inverted, they say "Help!" "I need healing!" etc when they are Dead (tomb portrait), and make a screaming pain noise when in critical health, they should be the other way around because you can't heal them if they're dead.

- Identifying voices for mm6: Normally they have 4, two for basic ("Hmm" and "Aha!") and two for outstanding/relic items ("Very nice!" "Wow!"), but in the merge mod they're only using two, and the outstanding items one is using a clip for identifying basic items instead (the "Aha!" one). Again mm8 has characters like the Dark Elf girl with more than one ("Let's leave it" "It looks worthless" for basic, "This is powerful" "Oh it's wonderful" for outstanding) so it's not like characters are limited by the engine to have 1 only.

- When exiting a dungeon mm6 characters don't use their variation of leave dialogue ("Let's get out of here!"), instead they use their variation of entering dialogue ("I'm not familiar with these surroundings", "Where could we be, I have a bad feeling", etc), same entering dialogue is also used while placing the rope sabotage for the Warrior Mage promotion quest in mm7.

Is there any reason why most of these were left like this? Any plans to fix/include the rest?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 28 Apr 2020, 11:09

joanthedark wrote:2. Why are there no unique enemy names in Enroth? Silvertongue (council traitor) name is the same as a regular Priest of Baa, "Lurch" from Castle Kriegspire is named "Minotaur Lord", "Longfang Witherhide" is a "Red Dragon", and so on. The mm8 engine is capable of showing unique names, such as "Jeric Whistlebone" in Garrote Gorge.
Vanilla MM6 accomplished this in a different way from MM7/8. It should be possible to fix, but nobody seems to want to do it as it would be fairly tedious since you'd also have to change the MM6 maps to account for the new unique spawns.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 28 Apr 2020, 17:04

joanthedark wrote:2. Why are there no unique enemy names in Enroth? Silvertongue (council traitor) name is the same as a regular Priest of Baa, "Lurch" from Castle Kriegspire is named "Minotaur Lord", "Longfang Witherhide" is a "Red Dragon", and so on. The mm8 engine is capable of showing unique names, such as "Jeric Whistlebone" in Garrote Gorge.
MM8 engine has no possibility of showing unique monster names. Jeric Whistlebone is an NPC.
So there are probably two workarounds:
1) create NPC for every unique monster;
2) create special monster type for every unique monster.
Toby has made sprites for the second: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/333
joanthedark wrote:3. About Character Voices:
Is there any reason why most of these were left like this?
Perhaps because nobody had summed up everything like in this report before.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 28 Apr 2020, 17:07

SpectralDragon wrote:We´ve gotten a feature request from Sibernethy on his last MM8 stream. ;) See it here:
Can there be a text version?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 28 Apr 2020, 17:41

cthscr wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:We´ve gotten a feature request from Sibernethy on his last MM8 stream. ;) See it here:
Can there be a text version?
Yes. The shortest one I can personally summarize is "Kills made with Reanimated creatures gives experience points to the one who Reaminated them (in the clip´s case the Lich)".
Yes?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 28 Apr 2020, 17:47

cthscr wrote:
joanthedark wrote:3. About Character Voices:
Is there any reason why most of these were left like this?
Perhaps because nobody had summed up everything like in this report before.
I was trying to as soon as I´ve heard that "Dead" voice lines and "I need healing!" ones are inverted when they (MM6 characters) get killed in a MMMerge stream, but I didn˙t know just how far the extent of it is, thus I waited until now (thanks for that one, joanthedark. Seriously). Do you think those inverted voice fixes are just a matter of shifting some numbers in the .lod files or is there something more? Since to be completely honest, those inverted voice stuff definitely sound very jarring compared to the rest. ^^;
Yes?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 28 Apr 2020, 19:55

SpectralDragon wrote:Do you think those inverted voice fixes are just a matter of shifting some numbers in the .lod files or is there something more?
I think this is just messed numbers in 'Data/Tables/Character voices.txt'.

jeremy001
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jeremy001 » 29 Apr 2020, 10:44

Hello guys,
i would like to ask you, is possible mm6-8 on mm8 engine combinate with The Chaos Conspiracy Redone?
thank you for answer

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 29 Apr 2020, 23:35

cthscr wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:Do you think those inverted voice fixes are just a matter of shifting some numbers in the .lod files or is there something more?
I think this is just messed numbers in 'Data/Tables/Character voices.txt'.
OK, excellent, sounds like a nice fix there for all of you. :tsup:
jeremy001 wrote:Hello guys,
i would like to ask you, is possible mm6-8 on mm8 engine combinate with The Chaos Conspiracy Redone?
thank you for answer
I´d ask DaveHer that.
DaveHer wrote: :gong:
Yes?

jeremy001
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jeremy001 » 30 Apr 2020, 13:29

If is it possible, what files are necessary rewrite? I tried rewrite all ANIMS, DATA, SCRIPTS and SOUNDS and the game will fall down after turning on. meanwhile the command window apear twice time.

one last question, is possible use clasic TCC to mm6-8 on mm8 engine?
thank you for answers :)
Last edited by jeremy001 on 30 Apr 2020, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 30 Apr 2020, 19:36

jeremy001 wrote:Hello guys,
thank you for answer
This is a question for Rodril. If you mean to add CCR as a fourth Continent. It probably is and it requires new scripting which I can not create. I can use existing scripting and only those that I know what they mean. Which is what I did for the two mods I made. I have no idea how that screen was made where you select what continent to start with.
David

jeremy001
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jeremy001 » 30 Apr 2020, 19:51

ok i see, it could be awesome to add extra continent but we will see if someone will do it.
About your mod TCC redone, does it exist mm6 + hd textures + your mod?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 30 Apr 2020, 23:05

jeremy001 wrote:ok i see, it could be awesome to add extra continent but we will see if someone will do it.
About your mod TCC redone, does it exist mm6 + hd textures + your mod?
This question has been asked by several people and answered by several people. No, it is impossible because of the MM6 engine.

Return to “Might and Magic”