How to replace images in MM6?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How to replace images in MM6?

Unread postby Graff » 23 Mar 2020, 03:04

Hello,

Bodies apparently fall through ramps. I can grab one but the other one is totally gone and I can't get to it. Normally I would just reload but I didn't notice at the time and did several hours of play afterwards. Maybe something that could be patched in the next version? For now, I think the easiest solution would be to replace the graphic for the corpse with larger image so it pokes over the top and I can snag it. I imagine this being a very simple change to make (ex: swap magyar doll with dragon doll) but I have no idea how to mod. I also can't figure out how to install MMextension... Is there a video? Can you please let me know how to do this?

Thanks,
Graff

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Re: How to replace images in MM6?

Unread postby DaveHer » 23 Mar 2020, 03:21

You place the folders of both MMextension and MMEditor into the game main folder (ex. C:\3DO/Might and Magic VII\).
After you place the folders in the MM7 directory run the game and wait awhile. MMextension will be making some folder and files. With these you can put things into the land maps. Like trees plants and so on. To use press the Alt and F1 keys while in the game. Then press the mouse wheel to get access to the buttons on the left. Then export the map. Then press continue. Then to put, say sprites, click on sprites button then on type button and a screen will appear. Pick your sprite click OK at the bottom. Then click Create. Then land. When you finish putting things on to the map. Click Save at the top. Then Compile. It will make some files that you will put into the games.lod file with MMachive. Read the read me file. :) Here is the link you need. You will find all the tools there. https://grayface.github.io/mm/
David

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 23 Mar 2020, 05:04

David, thank you for the reply! I followed the Grayface instructions and put the extracted file folders in my game folder. I then added the path to the .ini file. When I start up I get an error message. I believe I am doing it right because when I set the path wrong in the .ini file the game runs with no changes. Do you think my idea will work? Can I run my save game file after an edit?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 23 Mar 2020, 10:28

I do not think you set it up correctly. See link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12tAKV ... dd0RFB1VlJ You do not have to put a path in the ini file. The editor and the MMextension do not make changes to the game. The editor is for you to make changes to the game. The MMextension allows you to use mods that require the extension. Yes you can run the save game file after an edit.
David

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 24 Mar 2020, 07:22

David, I greatly appreciate the support here. I made my files look like yours and I ran the mm6.exe file and I think it did the trick! I got a popup warning about taking time to create tables and sure enough I got new folders. Experimenting with them, I edited values in the "Class Starting Skills.txt" as well as "Class HP SP.txt" and was successfully able to modify skills and effect multipliers. I was also able to change the insides of chests. However, I was unsuccessful editing any of the sprites. In MonList.txt attributes are listed. I changed them all to be height 300 (which is what a dragon is listed at) but all the creatures look exactly the same. Is there any sort of user interface for this? Do I need a program besides notepad to edit?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 24 Mar 2020, 10:37

Graff wrote:David, I greatly appreciate the support here. I made my files look like yours and I ran the mm6.exe file and I think it did the trick! I got a popup warning about taking time to create tables and sure enough I got new folders. Experimenting with them, I edited values in the "Class Starting Skills.txt" as well as "Class HP SP.txt" and was successfully able to modify skills and effect multipliers. I was also able to change the insides of chests. However, I was unsuccessful editing any of the sprites. In MonList.txt attributes are listed. I changed them all to be height 300 (which is what a dragon is listed at) but all the creatures look exactly the same. Is there any sort of user interface for this? Do I need a program besides notepad to edit?

Yes. You must use GrayFace TxtEdit.exe for editing all files in the tables folder. You will find this program in the link that I gave for GaryFace editing tools.
David

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 25 Mar 2020, 03:03

The text editor is useful but all it's doing is formatting the text. I downloaded MMArchive but changing the names of the sprite animations simply resulted in invisible frames with replacing the corpse frame resulting in no body being shown. I then went into the bitmaps section and tried to delete the ramp itself. This also did not work. How do you edit the sprites?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 25 Mar 2020, 11:50

First sprites should be falling through ramps. There is something wrong with your MM6. You need to use GOG version. Than apply GrayFace Patch (MM6.Patch.v2.4_2). Then install the MMextension and the editor. I found that GrayFace patch only supports GOG version. Editing Animated sprites requires a bitmap editor like photoshop and it is a complex procedure. There are about 20 frames per monster to edit. I hope you made a copy of the files you edit because from what I see they are all messed up. If not you are going to have to reinstall MM6. Do not delete the save game files. To fix this problem you are going to have to use the editor. The instructions for that is in the first post I made to you. Read my instructions again and also read the text file that comes with the editor. To use the editor, you need to be in window mode. To go into window mode press F4. So load the savegame. Then press the Alt and F1 keys while in the game. With the editor you should be able to move the the dead monsters above the ramps. When you finish moving the monsters, Click Save at the top. Then Compile. It will make two files that you will find in the games folder and you will put them into the games.lod file with MMachive. Drag and drop into MMAchive.
David
Last edited by DaveHer on 25 Mar 2020, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 26 Mar 2020, 03:30

I have confirmed the issue is repeatable. It happens when a body is on a ramp and you leave the game running but switch to a different screen. The bodies will either slide or fall depending on how long you are off screen. I think I have the gog version but I don't know. I found a spot that glitches the view enough while jumping where I can snag the body so I don't need to mod anymore. I did have fun messing around with the tools though and I appreciate your patience and help with getting everything setup.

Now... to try and fix all the textures I broke. :)

Return to “Might and Magic”