Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 27 Jan 2020, 14:18

Looks like cthscr found a bug.
If we are deducing it from the code right, it looks like the chain skill is being removed upon Liching.

Autobiography has been modified. (we are still working on a way to include race/class combination overrides and separation of the Undead to Skeletons, Zombies and Vampires. It would be really nice if a combination of an Undead race and Knight class would result in a Death Knight :) We (well... cthscr) have also added adjectives, so ... Skeletal Death Knight? :P ). It is not yet used for mouse-over descriptors.

I would also like to add that the nickname of cthscr is the bane of my dyslexic existence. :D :D :D
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 28 Jan 2020, 20:10

Ever felt like you're very, very stupid? As in, stoopid?
My latest acts of stupidity:

- skipped a dialogue, I thought Verdant would only contact you after finishing a continent
- failed to realize that Verdant was taking the gems one at a time, kept reloading & looking for the (nonexisting) missing gem as I was afraid I would have to wait an entire in-game day to summon her again
- played once starting in mm6, then in mm7 (dark), now mm7 (light) and I've realized only now (tnx to Crusader_bin) that you can start the game with more than a single character (I just assumed it was a side effect of using the mm8 engine and never bothered to look at that gigantic "+-" in the party creation screen)

Possibly more that I'm missing... but more seriously, I stopped my first game in August and resumed playing around xmas, and the rate of bug fixing (finger of death etc) was unbelievable!

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 28 Jan 2020, 20:21

Btw, I couldn't find mention of it looking for "peasant" (50 occurrences), and I didn't even try with "class" (161), so I'll just ask here: is it normal that "become archer" is refused if I have a goblin peasant? In Harmondale if that helps; since you can have any race play any class in mm7 I would expect mm7 peasants of any race could be promoted to any class.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 28 Jan 2020, 21:24

A little bug which I can't verify right now (wrong computer): when I played the first time, Hades (the mm6 sword relic with negative regeneration) did poison damage by using a spell, which can hit the wrong target if you're bounty hunting in a town or if you're using the reanimate spell.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Jan 2020, 05:24

tomchen1989 wrote:But the new formula still looks no better than a simple "OriginalValue*BolsterMul", because it is meant to weaken the value
Really? I think that going down to 0 (zero) HP is a bit overkill. To me the purpose of Bolster was always to make monster tougher. On all values in allowed interval. Though I might be wrong, so https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/issues/24
tomchen1989 wrote:Btw, my Chinese localization, double-byte character support, as well as some scripts and tools to generate font files and Gettext localization files to easily manage mm6, 7, 8, Merge's localization of any language, are almost done. I'll soon commit/upload them to a repo under newly registered https://github.com/might-and-magic
That's great! Would we have _(), Q_(), PL_() as well? And please tell me that it supports UTF-8. Please.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 29 Jan 2020, 21:31

cthscr wrote:
tomchen1989 wrote:But the new formula still looks no better than a simple "OriginalValue*BolsterMul", because it is meant to weaken the value
Really? I think that going down to 0 (zero) HP is a bit overkill. To me the purpose of Bolster was always to make monster tougher. On all values in allowed interval. Though I might be wrong, so https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/issues/24
tomchen1989 wrote:Btw, my Chinese localization, double-byte character support, as well as some scripts and tools to generate font files and Gettext localization files to easily manage mm6, 7, 8, Merge's localization of any language, are almost done. I'll soon commit/upload them to a repo under newly registered https://github.com/might-and-magic
That's great! Would we have _(), Q_(), PL_() as well? And please tell me that it supports UTF-8. Please.
I agree with @cthscr and @fanasilver on this. I've always thought the % was supposed to work like this:
Bolster BY x%
So if you bolster monsters by 0%, then they should be vanilla, and by 100% it should be 2x.
cthscrOnGitLab wrote:If we really need to have less than original HP, I would suggest change fanasilver's formula multiplicator like (BolsterMul+1)^|BolsterMul| and increase allowed interval into negatives.
Also an interesting idea for a feature.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 29 Jan 2020, 21:37

eilacomeva wrote:Ever felt like you're very, very stupid? As in, stoopid?

- skipped a dialogue, I thought Verdant would only contact you after finishing a continent
- failed to realize that Verdant was taking the gems one at a time, kept reloading & looking for the (nonexisting) missing gem as I was afraid I would have to wait an entire in-game day to summon her again
- played once starting in mm6, then in mm7 (dark), now mm7 (light) and I've realized only now (tnx to Crusader_bin) that you can start the game with more than a single character (I just assumed it was a side effect of using the mm8 engine and never bothered to look at that gigantic "+-" in the party creation screen)

Possibly more that I'm missing... but more seriously, I stopped my first game in August and resumed playing around xmas, and the rate of bug fixing (finger of death etc) was unbelievable!
Unfortunately Rodril hasn't been here for months. In the meantime, we started our own Community Branch on GitLab. (check the README)
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 29 Jan 2020, 21:39

eilacomeva wrote:Btw, I couldn't find mention of it looking for "peasant" (50 occurrences), and I didn't even try with "class" (161), so I'll just ask here: is it normal that "become archer" is refused if I have a goblin peasant? In Harmondale if that helps; since you can have any race play any class in mm7 I would expect mm7 peasants of any race could be promoted to any class.
That's probably a bug. I'm going to add it to the Bug Tracker.

Also was it you that fixed hundreds of typos on the Tracker anonymously?

I had to apply those suggested edits one by excruciating one, because GoogleDocs kinda suck. :D :D :D :D

But thanks, it is appreciated. If it was you.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 29 Jan 2020, 21:39

eilacomeva wrote:A little bug which I can't verify right now (wrong computer): when I played the first time, Hades (the mm6 sword relic with negative regeneration) did poison damage by using a spell, which can hit the wrong target if you're bounty hunting in a town or if you're using the reanimate spell.
Please verify if it still is the case. I will add it to the Bug Tracker once you do.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 30 Jan 2020, 20:18

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:A little bug which I can't verify right now (wrong computer): when I played the first time, Hades (the mm6 sword relic with negative regeneration) did poison damage by using a spell, which can hit the wrong target if you're bounty hunting in a town or if you're using the reanimate spell.
Please verify if it still is the case. I will add it to the Bug Tracker once you do.
Still there - savegame at https://1fichier.com/?tw2zq3pg2cza74i0x869 to reproduce

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 30 Jan 2020, 20:37

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:Btw, I couldn't find mention of it looking for "peasant" (50 occurrences), and I didn't even try with "class" (161), so I'll just ask here: is it normal that "become archer" is refused if I have a goblin peasant? In Harmondale if that helps; since you can have any race play any class in mm7 I would expect mm7 peasants of any race could be promoted to any class.
That's probably a bug. I'm going to add it to the Bug Tracker.
I checked in localizedtables.txt, and...
"NPCText 1679 Your kind cannot become %s. Sorry."

==>
if not CheckRace(ClassId) then
Message(string.format(Game.NPCText[1679], Game.ClassNames[ClassId]))
return
end

You can have goblin archers in mm7 (just verified), while here it's not available even at character creation;
either he botched the class/race table in CheckRace or he meant to be that way -- fine by me if that is the case, so long as it's documented somewhere.

Templayer wrote: Also was it you that fixed hundreds of typos on the Tracker anonymously?

I had to apply those suggested edits one by excruciating one, because GoogleDocs kinda suck. :D :D :D :D

But thanks, it is appreciated. If it was you.
Ehm, yes, it was me, not sure what is in my head but I would correct https://old.reddit.com/r/microsoft/comm ... x_to_edge/ if I could :D

Sorry about the wasted time - I've never created a document with googledocs, so I just assumed it worked kinda like wikipedia (everything is just published, you can see history and revert bad edits if needed).
Last edited by eilacomeva on 30 Jan 2020, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 30 Jan 2020, 20:42

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:Ever felt like you're very, very stupid? As in, stoopid?

Unfortunately Rodril hasn't been here for months. In the meantime, we started our own Community Branch on GitLab. (check the README)
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge
Yeah, he seems to work in bursts and then he needs time to recover from what I've seen.
Isn't that repo where you guys carry out all kinds of crazy experiments?

FireandCake
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FireandCake » 31 Jan 2020, 05:25

So I found one bug in the Monolith in Silver Cove the room with the water beasts did not spawn the fountain that you need to click to proceed to the next room.

Also even though I was invisible Castle Gryphonheart in Erathia turned hostile which is making it hard to proceed as the throne room is now locked is there a way of force reseting the map?

Thanks for the mod

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 31 Jan 2020, 06:46

Rodril wrote:Possible contributions if someone would:
2. Repainting mm6/7 armors to fit mm8 dolls.
Good day, I know this one is not yet implemented but in case you guys are not aware I wanted to let you know that mm6 armors are still present in the game (other than database) and can be looted from barrels:

This specific barrel is in the Caves of the Dragon Riders (Enroth continent)

And when you equip it:

It would be better if these barrels exclusively dropped the mm8 armors in the game's current state instead, at least until the mm6/7 armor repainting is finished.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 31 Jan 2020, 10:00

Templayer wrote:How to record a 1440p resolution Merge at 30 (and more) FPS with zero quality loss? I have been trying to do that for months now, with no avail.
I use OBS with UT video codec for almost lossless recording. Almost because it still turns #f8f8ff into #f9f8ff for example. UT is super fast, but it consumes ridiculous amount of space. Also, OBS can sometimes stop recording sound (not during a recording, but rather at some point of running in the background) and using ffmpeg output caused it to crash often when starting a recording on my old PC.
Here are my settings:
Templayer wrote: My specs are decent. FX 8350 CPU (4 GHz per core, one thread per core, 8 physical cores), GTX Titan X 12 GB GPU, 24 GB RAM, Operating system located on an SSD, and the drive the files are saved to is another SSD.
Beastly specs! Though, CPU is not beastly and lossless encoding is done on it.
kkkender wrote:1. Game crashes on selecting mm6/7 UIs (maybe depends on UI chosen on start, I had 8th).Also crashes when using dimensional door with "UI depends on continent" setting. The error message is "Excepcion ELayout exception in module MM8Patch.dll at 000642F3. UI Layout, line 60: Negative coordinate: (53, -21 .. 106, 31)."
Please send me the UI.txt and patch.UI.txt from Data just to make sure.
Last edited by GrayFace on 31 Jan 2020, 10:19, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

goober
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby goober » 31 Jan 2020, 18:40

Templayer wrote:
alekssandros wrote:
Templayer wrote:

It is a known bug - if you use Town Portal (or Dimension Door) while in turn-based your reputation resets.
I wasnt in turn based mode :(

now I save it before transporting and I used lloys beacon
Oh. Are you sure? If you are, could you write down a detailed report for me to add to the Bug Tracker? We need to differentiate it from the turn-based one. :tsup:
This also happened to me. Used Town Portal out of Elric's dungeon outside of Free Haven, lost all my reputation. Was not in turn-based.

Is there a console command to get it back? Thanks.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 31 Jan 2020, 20:31

goober wrote:This also happened to me. Used Town Portal out of Elric's dungeon outside of Free Haven, lost all my reputation. Was not in turn-based.

Please, first give us output of:

Code: Select all

dump(vars.GlobalReputation)

goober
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby goober » 31 Jan 2020, 20:57

cthscr wrote:
goober wrote:This also happened to me. Used Town Portal out of Elric's dungeon outside of Free Haven, lost all my reputation. Was not in turn-based.

Please, first give us output of:

dump(vars.GlobalReputation)

> dump(vars.GlobalReputation)

"{\
  nil,\
  nil,\
  0\
}"
> 

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 31 Jan 2020, 21:19

goober wrote:

"{\
  nil,\
  nil,\
  0\
}"
That's not a restore to your original values, but you may try:

evt.Sub("Reputation", 1)
Adjust number at your wish. Use evt.Add("Reputation", 1) to go into negatives.

If you have a savegame that easily reproduce that bug, please, share with us.
Last edited by cthscr on 31 Jan 2020, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

goober
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby goober » 31 Jan 2020, 21:51

These are the conditions when it happened:
- was inside a dungeon
- just started the game and loaded a save file
- used Lloyd's Beacon or Town Portal to go elsewhere.

Attempted to reproduce it after a re-load, didn't work.

Return to “Might and Magic”