Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
majaczek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby majaczek » 13 Jan 2020, 09:19

yes. git works fine. just git pull.
problem is when downloading as a zip.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 13 Jan 2020, 10:18

Hey guys, I have choppy sound, and sometimes it repeats itself (during character selection some characters go "pick me!... me!") but it is subtle, it doesn't happen all the time. Is it normal or did I mess something up during installation?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2020, 12:07

cthscr wrote:
Templayer wrote:I've spent half a day trying to fix it, but no matter what I set or do, if the .zip generating is used (i.e. for non-git users, anonymous people just wanting to download the crap), it fuc.ks up the line breaks. Even if I rename the .txt to .table before a commit with files having CRLF, it still screws them up in the repository.
Well, I don't know, but zip archive generated from merge request works fine to me.
Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
Templayer wrote:I've spent half a day trying to fix it, but no matter what I set or do, if the .zip generating is used (i.e. for non-git users, anonymous people just wanting to download the crap), it fuc.ks up the line breaks. Even if I rename the .txt to .table before a commit with files having CRLF, it still screws them up in the repository.
Dunno what's your issue but I just checked and all is working as intended on gitlab part.
Created a merge request if you want it. You can check prior to merging this zip generated by gitlab
Thanks, guys! Merged. Also when using the Web IDE, I still have the problem of it automatically adding empty lines at the end of the text tables. I've tried to solve it by setting insert_final_newline in .editorconfig to false, but it changed nothing.

I'm too used to IntelliJ Idea from work, where I do not have to deal with this crap. :D :D
majaczek wrote:yes. git works fine. just git pull.
problem is when downloading as a zip.
Zip downloading should now work correctly.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2020, 12:12

joanthedark wrote:Hey guys, I have choppy sound, and sometimes it repeats itself (during character selection some characters go "pick me!... me!") but it is subtle, it doesn't happen all the time. Is it normal or did I mess something up during installation?
I remember this exact bug, but I do not remember the solution. Have you tried setting the audio via the MM8Setup.Exe ? If stuff there doesn't work, there is probably some mm8.ini setting you have to switch to make it work better. You will have to find GrayFace's documentation for that, as there are many hidden settings (which aren't inside mm8.ini but if put inside, they will change stuff).

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2020, 14:06

wuxiangjinxing wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. I finally used a pretty simple way to do the work.

Here is summon mod v2. Now we can do summoning for all kinds of earth spells.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vg5Syo ... sp=sharing

In the current mod, you need to keep Ctrl pressed if you want to summon with earth spells. (I did not test much for how long you should keep pressing Ctrl, but I would suggest you start pressing when you select the spell in your spellbook, and you can release it after you start summoning). Without pressing Ctrl you can still cast the vanilla earth spell.

The current monsters being summoned might not be well balanced. I'm going to change that based on some suggestions in this thread. But for now please help me test for bugs and glitches. Any other suggestions will be very appreciated.
You still haven't answered some of the questions that I have asked of you. You have a lot of replies that you haven't replied to.

Alpha version of Druid Summoning tested and added to the Community Branch. Also I made a bunch of TODOs for you to check and potentially fix. https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/bl ... mmoner.lua (I've renamed your file to exclude the V2 at the end, since it could cause duplicates down the pipeline, and it is a really bad idea to have duplicates in lua.)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2020, 14:30

Templayer wrote:
Lucius wrote:
raekuul wrote: Jump is weaker in 7/8 vs 6 to begin with, are you sure you're not just experiencing 8's jump inside 6's map design?
This is exactly what I mean - I cannot jump to many places it was possible to do in vanilla mm6 because jump is weaker.
So I suggest to increase jump altitude.
Just on Enroth I presume? Because the level design there WAS taking a stronger Jump spell into consideration...

My personal suggestion would be a setting of MM6VanillaJumpSpellHeight.
0 - disabled (i.e. newer formula for jump height used)
1 - enabled (older MM6 formula for jump height used)
2 - enabled only on the MM6 continent
Added to Suggestion Tracker.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2020, 15:24

Ck-NoSFeRaTU wrote:
Templayer wrote:
Kahooli wrote:Issue: Whenever I try to change interface (which is always from MM8, modified, no matter where I start the game), I'm getting CTD with the message "Application error: "ExcepctionElayout exception in module MM8patch.dll at 00058CA3. UI Layout line 60: Negative coordinate: (53, -21.. 106, 31)."
Weird. Did you do base merge + newest Merge patch + newest GF patch?
Anyway - the bug has been added to the Bug Tracker.
This error happens with UILayout=UI due to patch.UI.txt. Icons UI-BtnRd, UI-BtnRu, UI-BtnZd, UI-BtnZu seems missing so coordinates become negative for BtnZ.
If anyone need it I patched it a bit to use old mm7 icons for now. I replaced duplicated spell book button with rest button (so it is now in left bottom corner for 6 and 7 UI) and reused spell book icon for quick ref. But overall 6 & 7 UIs require much further work, currently it is complete mishmash.
Added to the Bug Report and also applied to the Community Branch at GitLab.

Also I found out that if using Web IDE, it ALWAYS fuc.ks up the line endings, no matter what. :S
(on the other hand, I have finally learned how to use Git Bash properly.... after a lot of fuc.kups)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2020, 15:26

Merge Tracker Credits section additions -
Bug Catchers: Victor Tan, Jaojin, Felix Esch
Community Branch Credits: majaczek, fanasilver, CkNoSFeRaTU, Templayer, wuxiangjinxing
Last edited by Templayer on 13 Jan 2020, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

wuxiangjinxing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wuxiangjinxing » 14 Jan 2020, 19:19

Templayer wrote:
wuxiangjinxing wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. I finally used a pretty simple way to do the work.

In the current mod, you need to keep Ctrl pressed if you want to summon with earth spells. (I did not test much for how long you should keep pressing Ctrl, but I would suggest you start pressing when you select the spell in your spellbook, and you can release it after you start summoning). Without pressing Ctrl you can still cast the vanilla earth spell.

The current monsters being summoned might not be well balanced. I'm going to change that based on some suggestions in this thread. But for now please help me test for bugs and glitches. Any other suggestions will be very appreciated.
You still haven't answered some of the questions that I have asked of you. You have a lot of replies that you haven't replied to.

Alpha version of Druid Summoning tested and added to the Community Branch. Also I made a bunch of TODOs for you to check and potentially fix. https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/bl ... mmoner.lua (I've renamed your file to exclude the V2 at the end, since it could cause duplicates down the pipeline, and it is a really bad idea to have duplicates in lua.)
I made a fork on gitlab to give some explanations to its functionality and also answer some of your questions.

I'm not good at explaining in English, so if I caused any confusions (which I guess I would) please don't hesitate to ask again. I'll try my best to sort them out.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 14 Jan 2020, 22:09

wuxiangjinxing wrote:
Templayer wrote:

I made a fork on gitlab to give some explanations to its functionality and also answer some of your questions.

I'm not good at explaining in English, so if I caused any confusions (which I guess I would) please don't hesitate to ask again. I'll try my best to sort them out.
Great work. I cannot merge it yet, as I have a few things to discuss with you to make it more readable, but otherwise I am happy with your cooperation.
Also make sure the line endings are CRLF instead of LF. We had a lot of problems with that lately. The Web IDE is a piece of garbage for that. When using the commandline version of Git, set your core.autocrlf to false (I can give you more detailed info if you need it). Otherwise GitLab will automatically convert everything to LF. Which is rather hilariously crappy. :D :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 15 Jan 2020, 21:04

wuxiangjinxing wrote:Thanks a lot for all your suggestions! From your comments I can see how a professional programmer clean up their scripts and I did learn a lot from them (especially the magic number 25, you are exactly right it makes the code much harder to read). I'm going to refine the script and make another fork soon.
This message almost made me cry with joy. :butterfly:
I am glad that I am finally able to help the project code-wise, in some manner or form!
Even if it is just code-review! :devious:

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 15 Jan 2020, 21:10

I would like to thank the Anonymous person for removing all sorts of typos from the Tracker. You are awesome, whoever you are. :D :D :D
Last edited by Templayer on 15 Jan 2020, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Jan 2020, 22:16

Autobiographies by majaczek are being fixed (so that they would no longer crash the game if you have created more than one character) by cthscr.

cthscr is also currently working on a new character naming and title scheme:

---- Log File Output: -----------------------------
Dominique, the Human Knight
Kay, the Vampire
Amelia, the Dark Elf
Kirk, the Troll
Patty, the Goblin Peasant

Please notice the absence of duplicates if race equals class name-wise. :tsup:

Also I had the idea for the Undead to be called Lich if the class of a character is magic-based and not might-based. :)
Uroboros, the Lich Priest of the Dark -> sounds awesome

And for other cases either Skeleton or Zombie.
Something like Amelia, the Skeleton Archer or Bogus, the Zombie Paladin (challenge speed-run material, BTW :D :D )

What does the Community think?

Also -
SpectralDragon wrote:*PROD*
:butterfly:
Last edited by Templayer on 16 Jan 2020, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Jan 2020, 22:24

It was a very interesting day today, at my work.
In one browser tab, I had my work email, which was full of commits, change comments, people asking me to code-review their Merge Requests, etc.
In the tab next to it, I had my personal email. With pretty much the same kind of content for today.

:D :D :D

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 18 Jan 2020, 05:53

If master-necromancer could chose the light path in Enroth and become archmage, why necromancers can't do it and become sorcerers?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Jan 2020, 10:11

Jezebeth Noir wrote:If master-necromancer could chose the light path in Enroth and become archmage, why necromancers can't do it and become sorcerers?
I don't know.

Actually, the MM7 way is that only the third tier classes have light and evil variants. Since Master Necromancer is technically a third tier, and Necromancer is a tier 1 in MM8 (an equivalent to tier 2 class in MM7), maybe that is the reason.

I do however agree that he basically is the only "specifically aligned" base class, and he should turn to a Sorcerer. I will put this on the Suggestion Tracker.
Last edited by Templayer on 18 Jan 2020, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 18 Jan 2020, 11:44

Templayer wrote:I don't know.
Can you fix it?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Jan 2020, 14:26

Jezebeth Noir wrote:
Templayer wrote:I don't know.
Can you fix it?
I've edited my previous post.

I could fix it, but it would cost me time finding out how things and code works in this regard. Which I unfortunately do not have and won't have for quite a few weeks (I have to the work by foot currently, which takes away an hour each work day :( ).

But perhaps the user cthscr might help? Go contact him, he has been quite active while developing the Community Branch. https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge

majaczek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby majaczek » 19 Jan 2020, 16:44

Is it easily possible to add new races? what about races with no paperdoll requirements (ones that can't using most of equipment like dragons) ? I think about adding a genie and eefreet to the game :)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 19 Jan 2020, 18:36

majaczek wrote:Is it easily possible to add new races? what about races with no paperdoll requirements (ones that can't using most of equipment like dragons) ? I think about adding a genie and eefreet to the game :)
Easily? Probably not.

Doable? Certainly. I do however have next to no experience with it.

For paperdolls, you can simply make sure that one of the existing paperdolls fits equipment-wise, except for boots. Like the Minotaur-type paperdoll. Or any other. It is possible to make a new paperdoll type and set types of equipment that it cannot have, like boots in this case. I remember Rodril implementing this.

Minotaurs might be prudent, as their body armor is also missing the thighs and legs overall (except for Leather armours for minotaurs that has the minotaur legs attached in its sprite for some reason - I do not know if that has been solved or not, but editing it out shouldn't be that hard and it is pretty much a duplication, as you end up with minotaur legs from the armor sprite over minotaur legs of your character... can be safely deleted, I think - if it isn't already)

If a different race is selected as a template for equipment, you might have to create leg-less variants of each armour for it, making sprites with the legs part removed.

There are probably constants that you will have to add Minotaur to, and add the minotaur to an racial index and all the tables that reference races, but that shouldn't be that hard.

So yeah, quite possible. Not completely easy, though, but not that extremely hard either.

PS: I always wanted Genies and Efreeti, so I approve vehemently. :D :D
Probably Male and Female for both, with some innate magical powers.

If you need any specific help, I can try helping you, or I can also direct you to the people that already did something like that. GD Spectra drew a completely custom Minotaur Lich paperdoll with portrait animations, and she is currently working on a completely custom Troll Lich. I was forbidden to put it into the thread for now until it is no longer Work In Progress, but let me tell you - her work looks awesome.

Also remember that you might have to create Zombie Genies / Efreeti and Genie / Efreeti Liches as well. And not get sued by the current copyright holder for Ghost Rider in the case of an Efreeti Lich. :D :D :D :D

Return to “Might and Magic”