Might & Magic: Heroes VI - Haven - Something is Rotten

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 25 Nov 2011, 13:52

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/787
The river of time wash away all heroes

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 25 Nov 2011, 13:52

lol on the photoshop and the insight on plate armour, maybe we all misunderstood Anastasya, she must have been an uber might hero to pierce through full plate armour with a dagger, a feat even Crag Hack would find impressive :P

As for haven in general, right now especially with Imperial Griffins broken they do really pitiful damage, magic heroes with them actually do better since them Prestiest actually hit pretty hard if you have enough spell power, and their special is extremely useful, the units they can't pacify are usually the same onces that take 20% more damage (at least) from light damage. which really means they're pretty damn awesome. I guess inner fire's good though as a might hero you won't have much mana to spam, I usually find you have little left after mass regen and heal. with Haven you might as well try and just go as high as you can with defense. on the bright side most of their units are hard as nails.

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 28 Nov 2011, 01:51

A few other comments:

1. Heroic Charge is a very very worthwhile skill for them, either cast it on glories or Sun Crusader and the damage difference is massive. for Blazing Glories if you run the max distance they do a little more than twice the damage as they normally would. no matter which path you go you with might they are a must.

2.Blazing glories have a special ability that can let them blind their enemies on attack, (though it will debuff their own max HP down considerablly, but usually worth it.). though be careful on using it in bigger fights.

3. If your might (again no matter what path), mass heroism is a total no brainer must take, hell it's a no brainer even if your magic, since the extra moral helps you spam guardian angle more.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 29 Nov 2011, 01:40

Thanks for your input. I have never tried Heroic Charge, but heard many good things about it. In my impression, the enemy stacks usually die by the first hit without the charge anyway. :O

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 15 Jan 2012, 17:58

As of patch 1.2.1 I got 2 heroes charging through each gates when they open. :) Only thing is that there was none to defend town G afterward, will keep in touch regarding what I find in the following fort and town.

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 17 Jan 2012, 11:06

I found nothing amazing, there was an invading hero trying to take back G while I was underground. Town portal then dead and nothing particular afterward.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Apr 2012, 20:11

The final battle against Djordje is really hard; he has almost the same amount of troops, he defends a castle and he has access to magic.

Having attempted attacking and failed, I now try the American approach: superior numbers. I have 4 towns, he has only one; sooner or later I will have so many troops that I will win no matter his skills. :devious:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

sufficiency
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sufficiency » 11 Oct 2012, 10:18

Heroic Charge is pretty broken on Angels and Sun Riders. When used in combination of Cleave and good Leadership (which you will have), you can sometimes hit 3 times on the first turn.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 13 Aug 2013, 08:01

This walkthrough needs an update. many things have changed since it was written.

"The Acclaimed Leader (Iron rank) Dynasty gives +5 morale after a perfect victory"

sadly, this is broken. does nothing as of patch 2.1.1 AFAICT. edit: it never worked until I hit the first rep stage, then it started working after that. weird. still, not really worth it. I'd recommend the core boost instead. My traits were: +3 might, +3 magic (vestals make good fighters as well as healers!), +3 core, +3 movement. You might try replacing one of those with planeswalker if you like moving faster through the map, as it makes using town portal much more amenable. There is just enough crystal and raw materials to trade for to build what you need to build.

the orc hero that comes after you move past the northern bridge has 3 weeks worth of troops. you cannot defeat him, even in your starting town, with just one weeks worth of troops and a hired hero. unpossible. Ergo, you better plan to bounce back to town with your main hero, and that means saving up to build an advanced portal, or else you can get lucky and take him out while going after the first orc town to the north. bad idea to go the cave route first, unfortunately.

likewise...

"After capture Town F, two gates (Ga) that separate you and the Haven faction are opened. Although you may expect invasions, in my game, I did not see any enemy heroes charging out. "

You will, in fact, see heroes charging out within 2 days of the gates opening, again with decent sized armies.

This map is not the easy pushover it used to be. I'd rate it 3/6. Requires at least some preparation, and you can't overextend too much, or you will likely lose a town. OTOH, at least if you lose them to the haven heroes, you don't have to re-convert them. It would be 4/6, but it looks like hero regeneration is turned off for this mission, so you won't get endless respawns of new enemy heroes after you defeat the first ones.

this is a good map to collect scrolls from your advanced marketplaces; I found many uses for them. Good ones are the obvious: summon elementals, heal/mass heal, icebolt (simply to stop a stack from moving), haste, slow, ice armor...

there are several dragon shrines, but I doubt you will need them. I hit the level cap before taking the 4th town without using any shrines.

btw, another great weapon for this, for those that have the DLC, is the Sword of the Pirate King(lvl 4 or better)... it boosts morale so much as to be nearly unbalanced! With so much morale to play with, you can protect your healers and just have them heal any damage. It's about the same, defensively, as arachne, but with the added bonus of increased offense from good morale, as well as +2 movement on the first turn (combine with heroic strike, and your crusaders can do serious damage to pretty much anything, anywhere on the map). I end up using a fully upgraded arachne when I need to web something to slow it down, and otherwise use the pirate sword. You can use your guardian shield about 50% more often than without it, or shield your crusaders before the end of the first turn, and allow them to attack with impugnity.

oh, don't use the wasting grounds near the north-east town. It actually affects YOUR troops, not the enemy's. :P Don't know why they even have it there.

near where the underground entrance (11) is, in front of the fort, there is a large group of griffins that will join you for cash. week 3, month 3, that group had 156 griffs in it, and cost me (with 10% diplomacy hat) 60k. worth it, and by that time, even if you have been buying artifacts, you should have the cash at hand to buy them. Griffins seem to be entirely "fixed" now, and do good damage and their dives work anywhere on the field. with Anton's special, I took out a stack of 180 marskman with a single dive of about the same number of griffs. Very very handy for taking out ranged units behind walls :)

all told, I found 5 set pieces on this map: The drums and hat from the regent set, the shoulders and feet from the prophet's set, and the shoulders from the guardian set.

Edited on Wed, Aug 21 2013, 21:34 by Sir_Toejam

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2013, 13:28

Would you like to volunteer for the updating? :)
Just tell me exactly what text should be edited and I can change it.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 14 Aug 2013, 04:40

I just finished it, so basically I figure just leave the comments there, no need to update the original really, since I'm sure it was perfect for when it was written. :)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: Might & Magic: Heroes VI - Haven - Something is Rotten

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Nov 2019, 00:10

To update the Sir_Toejam update:

My experience has been that by the time you get enough troops together to get through the wolves on the way to the orange town, they've assembled close to 100 Dreamwalkers if not more. That doesn't seem particularly beatable when you have no elite troops yourself (and no time to go for the griffins). That would be bad enough by itself, except there are more Barbarians with the same set up in the south, and they *will* smash through and take everything you left unguarded while trying to deal with the north.

After several false starts, I'm wondering if it's time to drop down a difficulty level for this map, as I ended up doing with Necro 2.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Nov 2019, 16:03

Update to the update to the update: :)

There is a window to get the Griffins if you ignore the central fort and focus on taking Orange's first fort. That allows some breathing room to unlock the Griffins and have a healthy stack for later wiping out Orange before Tan invades too far.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 18 Nov 2019, 00:21

One other note:

Once you've gotten the Orcs down to one town, it's worth it to use your towns' scrying ability to reveal all of the opposing Haven lands to determine the best time to take the last town and open the gates.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 03 Jun 2022, 18:41

After going through the campaigns again, the key to the map is that you can upgrade your troops while the Stronghold enemies cannot. Upgraded creature dwellings give you enhanced growth and tougher troops. If you use at least two stacks of Sentinels (for the stacking defensive buff to your adjacent troops), you should be able to cut through the vast numbers of unupgraded troops.

Return to “Articles”