Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby candida » 10 Oct 2019, 07:57

Rodril wrote:
candida wrote:My question was to change it WITHOUT affecting low level water magic spells
I can not answer right now, need to recheck reference manual. Probably it is possible to split lloyd beacons between continents, just not sure if it is easy enough to complete till next update.
Thx :tsup:

In my opinion, beacons must only work within the continent, not between, this should be limited to dimension doors and "high magic" areas, otherwise they become useless.

Some more limitations would be also good, such as max. one dimension door or high magic town portal per month, 2 months, 6 months, per year (genie lamp danger for traveling would be also interesting, maybe) etc not to destroy the course of the game..

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 10 Oct 2019, 07:58

Thonkerton wrote:
Phobos wrote:
Thonkerton wrote:Well this was unexpected. I don't know what exactly caused this, in the game I've finished 7 and 8 (just completed 7 and returning to train), few minutes ago I toggled on Bolster Monsters at 20% to add some challenge to 6 and try out the Bolster. Don't know what else might cause this behavior.
Was there a bounty hunt in Celeste for the Obsidian Gargoyle? Bounty hunts will cause the selected monster to spawn in the area for easier hunting.
There is no town hall or place to do bounty hunting in Celeste at least that I'm aware of, and if there is, I never did it in Celeste. I did bounty hunting elsewhere much much earlier but I don't recall any Gargoyles.
Of course there is, just take the road to castle lambent and at the fork, go to the other direction.
Last edited by candida on 10 Oct 2019, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Thonkerton » 10 Oct 2019, 08:59

candida wrote:
Thonkerton wrote:
Phobos wrote:Was there a bounty hunt in Celeste for the Obsidian Gargoyle? Bounty hunts will cause the selected monster to spawn in the area for easier hunting.
There is no town hall or place to do bounty hunting in Celeste at least that I'm aware of, and if there is, I never did it in Celeste. I did bounty hunting elsewhere much much earlier but I don't recall any Gargoyles.
Of course there is, just take the road to castle lambent and a the fork, go to the other direction.
Huh, guess I must've done that :|

Edit. Weirdly enough the Pirate Outpost in Dagger Wound Island had several Lesser Fire Elementals among the pirates in the northernmost room :|
Edit 2. Looks like various spellcasters start summoning elementals after being boosted
Last edited by Thonkerton on 11 Oct 2019, 03:37, edited 2 times in total.

Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Thonkerton » 10 Oct 2019, 12:43

candida wrote:
Rodril wrote:
candida wrote:My question was to change it WITHOUT affecting low level water magic spells
I can not answer right now, need to recheck reference manual. Probably it is possible to split lloyd beacons between continents, just not sure if it is easy enough to complete till next update.

In my opinion, beacons must only work within the continent, not between, this should be limited to dimension doors and "high magic" areas, otherwise they become useless.

Some more limitations would be also good, such as max. one dimension door or high magic town portal per month, 2 months, 6 months, per year (genie lamp danger for traveling would be also interesting, maybe) etc not to destroy the course of the game..
I don't personally see the Lloyd's Beacon limits that beneficial, any group with Town Portal can already jump around the continents without spending any ingame time and pretty sure it's already made harder to acquire Lloyd's Beacon books. Not to mention that the Beacon already has it's own limit of 5 slots per character so any slot used for continent hopping is a slot taken from inside continent jumping.
Some other types of penalties would be more interesting, like the suggested genie lamp system or perhaps time passing, various negative effects, damage to equipment, some hostile interdimensional creatures spawning nearby, perhaps allow safe travel by paying a special item like a Diamond or having a special peasant recruit with you to navigate the space-time safely. Just something that makes the player consider the jump with Beacon but not make it impossible. Using the special locations to jump should work just fine with no penalties IMO.
Last edited by Thonkerton on 10 Oct 2019, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 10 Oct 2019, 13:24

candida wrote:
Rodril wrote:

Probably not a good idea. The point here is to make the course of the game whatever you want it to be, so restricting the freedom to move between the continents even further would harm the experience IMO. Also, Lloyd's Beacon is something you need to work really hard to get, keep that in mind.

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 10 Oct 2019, 13:29

ERASE please
Last edited by alekssandros on 10 Oct 2019, 17:30, edited 2 times in total.

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 10 Oct 2019, 13:42

alekssandros wrote:
Anubis wrote:@Alekssandros

Change your MM8 program's compatibility mode to WinXP (Service Pack 3)
Didnt work... In fact, gave me CTD before new game screen

I am doing a clean install now to see if it is fixed
The re-install works. I only install the merge, not the merge-patch, no the GFpatch 2.4.... I will install them now and I would report what happens

--------EDITION---------

It solved! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Last edited by alekssandros on 10 Oct 2019, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Thonkerton » 10 Oct 2019, 14:11

Slight overlap with different continent items I assume, that's Diamond and Moonstone, Diamond being a gem and Moonstone being a Reagent, there should be two additional pictures for Diamond to switch that to. There's also 3 rubies, 2 reagent types and 1 gemstone but they all have different icons so not that big of a deal
Last edited by Thonkerton on 10 Oct 2019, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Thonkerton » 10 Oct 2019, 14:12

Accidental double post, delete please.
Last edited by Thonkerton on 10 Oct 2019, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 10 Oct 2019, 17:36

Xfing wrote:
Probably not a good idea. The point here is to make the course of the game whatever you want it to be, so restricting the freedom to move between the continents even further would harm the experience IMO. Also, Lloyd's Beacon is something you need to work really hard to get, keep that in mind.
Well, I politely disagree. 10 GM Water Magic is quite easy to get (something around Level 20 25 max), nothing special. In MM7, my Druid was already 7 Master around level 18-20 (where the game is still challenging due to Nighon tunnels).

After level 30, the game becomes quite easy and after 40, there is no difficulty at all and you can play like FPS, given the fact that 99% of the players have fly spell.

I am not saying that traveling across continents should be entirely removed, but it should be limited one way or another. Current system allows the player to wreak havoc across continents. With a real monster bolstering and further limitations and difficulties, everything might become more interesting, I think.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 10 Oct 2019, 19:34

I don't like cross-continent travel getting more restricted. As it is, it works well.

1) The only continent that you're guaranteed able to manually TP off of is Enroth, since both of its gate spots are in Green zones (or are rather easily made green). Antagarich's named spot in Evenmorn is on Evenmorn, making it a pain in the ass to reach on a good day, while its unnamed spot in Tularea, while mentioned by Verdant if you started in Antagarich, does require you to kill a bunch of trees in order to TP off with "just" Master. Both the gate spots in Jadame require cleanup before they can be used at just Master rank, with the named one requiring cleanup of Basilisks and similar and the unnamed one having repeating spawns until the Regnans are sabotaged. Requiring me to use only the High Magic areas just makes cross-continent travel more annoying and makes me more likely to start in Jadame since then I only have to complete one promotion quest to claim GM water magic as opposed to two.

2) My continental start is strongly influenced by the availability of skill trainers more than anything else, particularly since I play with the Class Unlocker (as I prefer Necromancers over Sorcerers due to getting Dark Magic out of the gate, but at the same time Enroth has the most accessible Master Water trainer). Start in Enroth then jump to Jadame at earliest opportunity, do enough of Jadame to claim Dyson Leyland (since he does need to be conscious for whichever side of that war you side with to progress), then hop back to Enroth to get him his +20 in all stats and upgraded to High Priest (some times Of The Sun, some times just High Priest. Depends on my patience, really - one's just more convenient since I have to hit up Dagger Wound Island anyway to progress the Jadame storyline while the other gives Dyson access to Shrapmetal, which he sorely needs due to his weakness in Melee) and then jump to Antagarich to start getting the altars there.
Last edited by raekuul on 10 Oct 2019, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 10 Oct 2019, 22:55

raekuul wrote:I don't like cross-continent travel getting more restricted. As it is, it works well.

1) The only continent that you're guaranteed able to manually TP off of is Enroth, since both of its gate spots are in Green zones (or are rather easily made green). Antagarich's named spot in Evenmorn is on Evenmorn, making it a pain in the ass to reach on a good day, while its unnamed spot in Tularea, while mentioned by Verdant if you started in Antagarich, does require you to kill a bunch of trees in order to TP off with "just" Master. Both the gate spots in Jadame require cleanup before they can be used at just Master rank, with the named one requiring cleanup of Basilisks and similar and the unnamed one having repeating spawns until the Regnans are sabotaged. Requiring me to use only the High Magic areas just makes cross-continent travel more annoying and makes me more likely to start in Jadame since then I only have to complete one promotion quest to claim GM water magic as opposed to two.
LOL, trees in Tulerean are a joke. I killed them when I was still level 5 (did not train at that time due to Arena quest for Knight promotion), nothing challenging for a yuge reward. Plus, with the merge, you have 5 members instead of 4, it is even easier. Another location or stronger creatures would be better, maybe?

The one in Evenmorn Island is just next to the paramount guild of Water with Lloyd's beacon. Thus, if you put a beacon in Evenmorn Island, you automatically "abuse" the cross-continental traveling anyway. I think the very Lloyd's beacon spell book can be a quest to unlock it?
raekuul wrote: 2) My continental start is strongly influenced by the availability of skill trainers more than anything else, particularly since I play with the Class Unlocker (as I prefer Necromancers over Sorcerers due to getting Dark Magic out of the gate, but at the same time Enroth has the most accessible Master Water trainer). Start in Enroth then jump to Jadame at earliest opportunity, do enough of Jadame to claim Dyson Leyland (since he does need to be conscious for whichever side of that war you side with to progress), then hop back to Enroth to get him his +20 in all stats and upgraded to High Priest (some times Of The Sun, some times just High Priest. Depends on my patience, really - one's just more convenient since I have to hit up Dagger Wound Island anyway to progress the Jadame storyline while the other gives Dyson access to Shrapmetal, which he sorely needs due to his weakness in Melee) and then jump to Antagarich to start getting the altars there.
Well, we should take all "playing styles" into consideration to have a balance. For instance, if you start in Jadame, you can take Ithilgore the Dragon in Garrote Gorge after you are in the main continent. Game is more or less over as soon as he's in your party (with M learning and later on GM, he'll quickly become a killing machine).
No need for useless sorcerers or clerics and their stupid, expensive spells (dark and light magic are useless in higher levels) if you play with "tougher" characters..
Last edited by candida on 10 Oct 2019, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 11 Oct 2019, 00:15

In other words, I should only use the most optimal builds and to hell with "having fun".

E: Yeah I think I'm gonna go cool off for a bit. That was both uncalled for and not what you were suggesting at all.
Last edited by raekuul on 11 Oct 2019, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 11 Oct 2019, 05:37

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the last update which fixed the issue
Last edited by Kaikhorus on 11 Oct 2019, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Oct 2019, 06:16

candida wrote:
Xfing wrote:
Well, I politely disagree. 10 GM Water Magic is quite easy to get (something around Level 20 25 max), nothing special. In MM7, my Druid was already 7 Master around level 18-20 (where the game is still challenging due to Nighon tunnels).

After level 30, the game becomes quite easy and after 40, there is no difficulty at all and you can play like FPS, given the fact that 99% of the players have fly spell.

I am not saying that traveling across continents should be entirely removed, but it should be limited one way or another. Current system allows the player to wreak havoc across continents. With a real monster bolstering and further limitations and difficulties, everything might become more interesting, I think.
You seem to be forgetting that in the merge the GM spells cannot be bought in shops (nor can the highest Master spells). So it'll take you quite a while before you can even have Fly, not to mention Lloyd's Beacon.

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 11 Oct 2019, 06:26

Xfing wrote:You seem to be forgetting that in the merge the GM spells cannot be bought in shops (nor can the highest Master spells). So it'll take you quite a while before you can even have Fly, not to mention Lloyd's Beacon.

Not quite working that way at the moment, though. This is a level 20 party, first time loading the Free Haven water guild (no save scumming). Two Loyd's Beacon books.

https://i.imgur.com/fHu7b6D.png

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think it's a good idea.
Last edited by Kaikhorus on 11 Oct 2019, 06:30, edited 2 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Oct 2019, 07:03

Ohhh sorry, I kinda messed this up.

There are GM guilds available, only they're somewhat hard to access. For instance you no longer get the 10th and 11th spells in Alvar like you used to - have to wait for Regna. But Dark and Light guilds never contain the final two spells if I'm not mistaken (barring the Archmage quest).

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 11 Oct 2019, 10:37

ImageHelms are finished. Image will come soon.
David

Gatlin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gatlin » 11 Oct 2019, 10:53

Apologies if this has been asked before, I just found out about this merger a few days ago and am very new here. I tried searching for a resolution but found none, so I created an account.

I am at the point with Verdant where she wants me to snag chippings from the frames inside the elemental planes. So, I zipped over to Jadame, and it happened to put me on Dagger Wound Island, so I went ahead and flew on in the earth plane. I tried smacking the frame from every which angle, with blasters, bows, swords, tridents, and bare fists, to no avail. The quest log mentions finding the chipping near the frame, so I searched high and low, ultimately clearing the entirety of the dungeon and checking every chest along the way. I even zoomed in the mini-map and had wizard eye running to make sure I didn't overlook any hot spots... but still no chipping.

I'm stumped. Is this a bug? Did I do something wrong?

Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Thonkerton » 11 Oct 2019, 12:10

Gatlin wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before, I just found out about this merger a few days ago and am very new here. I tried searching for a resolution but found none, so I created an account.

I am at the point with Verdant where she wants me to snag chippings from the frames inside the elemental planes. So, I zipped over to Jadame, and it happened to put me on Dagger Wound Island, so I went ahead and flew on in the earth plane. I tried smacking the frame from every which angle, with blasters, bows, swords, tridents, and bare fists, to no avail. The quest log mentions finding the chipping near the frame, so I searched high and low, ultimately clearing the entirety of the dungeon and checking every chest along the way. I even zoomed in the mini-map and had wizard eye running to make sure I didn't overlook any hot spots... but still no chipping.

I'm stumped. Is this a bug? Did I do something wrong?
You just need to enter the gates to visit all 4 planes and that's it. Might be that just teleporting to the plane works, haven't tried it. You should get a sound effect or at least a small text indicating that you collect a shard upon entering the plane, there's nothing else needed to do for that.

Return to “Might and Magic”