Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Sep 2019, 19:14

Mirondor wrote:Wowowow!
What's happened to the game since last update?
No light elves or dwarfs available at start, and if i install a Templayer's patch - game crashes as i right-click on any skill...
Templayer wrote:Here's a prototype of a new version of the Racial Skills mod. Also it looks like they are no longer learned at the game's start. :S

https://ulozto.net/file/lx0rXuLwpIZU/race-skills-txt

I did try to address some issues with the Racial skills. I finally forced myself to do it, now that Rodril revamped the table structure.
Dwarves were given expert repair (lore-based) and expert item identify, since they only had master axe and expert bow.
Since humans tend to be Jacks of all trades, and so they even are in the MM universe, and they had no Mastery or GM racially, I decided to simply give them a boost to all utility skills by +1. Quite a lot of people told me that they were hands-down the most underpowered in that little mod of mine. So now if there is an utility skill (like alchemy) that you can master class-wise, being a human will enable you to GM it. Good enough for you? :D
That means normal meditation, perception, regeneration, disarming, dodging, unarmed, identify monster, armsmaster, stealing, alchemy, identify item, merchant, repair. When the +1 max expertise boost is gained through a class that can already have these skills, it becomes adaptability at its finest (i.e. the human-specific trait).
Character Creation created zombies now get base regeneration at start. "Hold together, pal!" :D :D
The tutorial on the Tracker has also been updated. (so anybody can modify it by using the tutorial)
Have you used the new prototype of the Racial Skills? Rodril changed the table structure for that, so you cannot use the old version anymore. When I tested it (unlocker + racial skills) I did it by learning a few skills and seeing by right clicking if the maximum proficiency has been raised (didn't crash for me).
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 23 Sep 2019, 19:48

Templayer wrote:The problem here is that if I do pack a modified Character portraits.txt with the Unlocker, and anything, AND I MEAN ANYTHING changes there in the base Merge, then the Unlocker is going to break stuff. It is fragile. I do not want to swamp you with optional content and such, but it would be better for you to make those zombie-undead copies yourself and pack them with the base Merge (while they are going to only be referenced from the context of the Unlocker). That way won't be fragile. That way stuff won't break easily. :D
.... pretty please? :sadeyes:
Rodril wrote: :gong:
Just forwarding it ... and did you see what Rodril said about localized audio files there, Templayer? It's on you again to find those blasted audio files from each localization (1st page) and make your magic on them once you're done testing your game for any other breaks + fixing both the Unlocker and Racial Skills list. Else I cannot help you with that anymore and we'll have to get satisfied with default voices, 'lest it needs to be fragile to further Merge updates. ^^;
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Sep 2019, 20:02

The Racial Skills Mod Replacing Racial Classes has been updated on the Optional Content Tracker - please update if you wish to play with the new version Rodril made.

I also updated the same thing on my personal webpage under mods. http://www.Templayer.cz

I actually had to write down stuff that I need to do, and in what order. Kinda swamped with work. Now I know how Rodril usually feels about the project. :D

Mirondor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mirondor » 23 Sep 2019, 20:32

Thank you!
Another question i wanted to ask:
Is it possible to make dragons recover faster from their wing buffet?
Because like this it doesn't make any sense to use it for monsters run at you faster than you recover from casting it...
UPD.: I think i found the proper file to edit in tables...
Last edited by Mirondor on 23 Sep 2019, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 23 Sep 2019, 21:08

Templayer wrote:I actually had to write down stuff that I need to do, and in what order. Kinda swamped with work. Now I know how Rodril usually feels about the project. :D
Don't worry, I'll leave you a nudge in the Tracker comments. :tongue: :tongue: Same with the Unlocker, he he he.
Yes?

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 24 Sep 2019, 01:57

In MM6 I found alchemy and armsmaster expert teachers. Is there a master teacher for armsmaster, expert master for unarmed dodging (MM6)?

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 24 Sep 2019, 07:03

Phobos wrote:I tend to agree about Meditation. The regeneration part renders SP regenerating items essentially useless, considerably lowers the value of mana potions and makes the early game overall too easy. This is especially true when you have healers: with free SP regeneration, just 2 points of regenerated mana can be used to cast Heal and recover a large number of hit points, unnecessarily increasing the characters' survivability. And being able to wait a few minutes instead of resting 8 hours means you won't lose temporary buffs when recovering SP, thus making the opportunity cost of 'resting' much lower. This waiting strategy only used to be possible originally when all casters had SP regenerating items. I would go so far as return to the original Meditation mechanics. If people want SP regeneration boosted, I think it would perhaps be better to boost the items' effect instead, to be more in line with the original games? Perhaps make them stackable?
The reason Meditation was given an innate ability to regenerate a percentage of your max SP, was to allow spellcasters to remain relevant at high levels with monster bolster. When creatures are climbing into the thousands of HP, most offensive spells (except for a point blank Shrapmetal) quickly fall to the wayside compared to melee damage. Especially when a high skill Heroism/Hour of Power is involved. When you could only cast so many of the spell before running out of SP, it made spellcasters really crappy compared to melee for damage output at higher levels. Their highest damage spells hogged down SP, and they were relegated to being just buffers. Hell, a caster with a high level Hour of Power active, ended up doing more damage with his melee than most of his spells :/
Last edited by Daedros on 24 Sep 2019, 07:09, edited 2 times in total.

Mirondor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mirondor » 24 Sep 2019, 09:09

Daedros wrote:
Phobos wrote:I tend to agree about Meditation. The regeneration part renders SP regenerating items essentially useless, considerably lowers the value of mana potions and makes the early game overall too easy. This is especially true when you have healers: with free SP regeneration, just 2 points of regenerated mana can be used to cast Heal and recover a large number of hit points, unnecessarily increasing the characters' survivability. And being able to wait a few minutes instead of resting 8 hours means you won't lose temporary buffs when recovering SP, thus making the opportunity cost of 'resting' much lower. This waiting strategy only used to be possible originally when all casters had SP regenerating items. I would go so far as return to the original Meditation mechanics. If people want SP regeneration boosted, I think it would perhaps be better to boost the items' effect instead, to be more in line with the original games? Perhaps make them stackable?
The reason Meditation was given an innate ability to regenerate a percentage of your max SP, was to allow spellcasters to remain relevant at high levels with monster bolster. When creatures are climbing into the thousands of HP, most offensive spells (except for a point blank Shrapmetal) quickly fall to the wayside compared to melee damage. Especially when a high skill Heroism/Hour of Power is involved. When you could only cast so many of the spell before running out of SP, it made spellcasters really crappy compared to melee for damage output at higher levels. Their highest damage spells hogged down SP, and they were relegated to being just buffers. Hell, a caster with a high level Hour of Power active, ended up doing more damage with his melee than most of his spells :/
Agree. I'd also change the cast speeds for most of attack spells to change it... Now most of them have about 120 recovery tme, while a good fighter reaches 30 at about 20th lvl... Which makes caster weak, and it is also boring to see yourself casting a spell every 3 seconds, while you get hit by mobs 10 times per second :)

Mirondor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mirondor » 24 Sep 2019, 09:19

Can i make a wish for further patches, please? :)
Is there any way to change the attack button be turbo immediately?
Now it takes time after first click to begin hit constantly, which makes one mad if he has a high attack speed.

Another future the game misses a lot (in my opinion) is ajustable hotkeys for spells.
Is it possible to implement them?
Should be fantastic. Casters could combine spells like stun mob than cast an attack spell, or paralise than cast an attck spell ect... Now it is nearly impossible in real-time mode because you have no hotkeys for that.
Thank you!!

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 24 Sep 2019, 09:36

What the Void? Wow, that fits too much! XDD
Needs more testing though once I get the zip out. This is just v4.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 24 Sep 2019, 09:52

Mirondor wrote:Can i make a wish for further patches, please? :)
Is there any way to change the attack button be turbo immediately?
Now it takes time after first click to begin hit constantly, which makes one mad if he has a high attack speed.

Another future the game misses a lot (in my opinion) is ajustable hotkeys for spells.
Is it possible to implement them?
Should be fantastic. Casters could combine spells like stun mob than cast an attack spell, or paralise than cast an attck spell ect... Now it is nearly impossible in real-time mode because you have no hotkeys for that.
Thank you!!
That seems more like a GrayFace thing. You need to false-quote them for them to notice, usually.
GrayFace wrote:I am the Shortcut Master.
SpectralDragon wrote:What the Void? Wow, that fits too much! XDD
Needs more testing though once I get the zip out. This is just v4.
Holy shi.t, that's awesome! I was missing the "property of the spaceship's storage" helmet so much! :D :D :D

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 24 Sep 2019, 10:40

qtish wrote:In MM6 I found alchemy and armsmaster expert teachers. Is there a master teacher for armsmaster, expert master for unarmed dodging (MM6)?
Master Armsmaster can be found in Free Haven, living on the same street as Carlo Tormini (the guy who asks you to go to the Temple of Tsantsa). I haven't found Unarmed and Dodging yet.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 24 Sep 2019, 10:46

Can someone test this in-game before it could be imported? It´s a ZIP file of the Angelic Helm with all additions that would make it suitable for MM8/MMMerge.
https://sta.sh/019i0dzcz0ud
Thank you!
Templayer wrote: Holy shi.t, that's awesome! I was missing the "property of the spaceship's storage" helmet so much! :D :D :D
That´s why I´ve done it as a bit f a pause before I˙d go to do Male Dwarf Zombie (and to practice Warp Transforming while GrayFace is gone for now). Yes, Female Dwarf Zombie is already done, but I wish to bunch her together with the male, thus no link for her/them now. :devious:
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 24 Sep 2019, 11:00

SpectralDragon wrote:Can someone test this in-game before it could be imported? It´s a ZIP file of the Angelic Helm with all additions that would make it suitable for MM8/MMMerge.
https://sta.sh/019i0dzcz0ud
Thank you!
Templayer wrote: Holy shi.t, that's awesome! I was missing the "property of the spaceship's storage" helmet so much! :D :D :D
That´s why I´ve done it as a bit f a pause before I˙d go to do Male Dwarf Zombie (and to practice Warp Transforming while GrayFace is gone for now). Yes, Female Dwarf Zombie is already done, but I wish to bunch her together with the male, thus no link for her/them now. :devious:
Don't forget to make me in-game pictures so I can showcase it on the Paint tracker! Both for characters and items! :hug:

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 24 Sep 2019, 12:00

Templayer wrote:Don't forget to make me in-game pictures so I can showcase it on the Paint tracker! Both for characters and items! :hug:
Same can be said for other people as well, not just myself. I'm especially worried that I might've placed the helmet a bit too down for Overdune Trolls, so they might have a tuft of hair poke out of these. ^^;
Yes?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 24 Sep 2019, 13:57

Found issue with Racial Skills table. Patch link in the first post have been updated, apply, please.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Sep 2019, 14:00

Well, going by those values I came up with a while back, this is going to be the best helmet in the game. Just hoping it'l look as good on other paperdoll types too!

As for spellcasting and spell regen. The game mechanics were never made with 10k+ health monsters in mind. It's the bolstering mechanic that should be made in such a way that we don't feel that basic game mechanics are in need of a fundamental overhaul. I wonder what these cool new formulas are going to be like.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 24 Sep 2019, 15:28

Xfing wrote:As for spellcasting and spell regen. The game mechanics were never made with 10k+ health monsters in mind. It's the bolstering mechanic that should be made in such a way that we don't feel that basic game mechanics are in need of a fundamental overhaul. I wonder what these cool new formulas are going to be like.
Hmm... I feel the same. By adjusting the bolster mechanic, a lot of the side effects could be avoided. If bolster didn't boost enemy HP so much and mainly focused on damage, it wouldn't make spellcasters so helpless against boosted monsters, but the monsters would still be threatening.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 24 Sep 2019, 16:15

Rodril wrote:Found issue with Racial Skills table. Patch link in the first post have been updated, apply, please.
What was the issue? Is there something I should change?
This might mean that I tested it wrong.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 24 Sep 2019, 16:17

Phobos wrote:
Xfing wrote:As for spellcasting and spell regen. The game mechanics were never made with 10k+ health monsters in mind. It's the bolstering mechanic that should be made in such a way that we don't feel that basic game mechanics are in need of a fundamental overhaul. I wonder what these cool new formulas are going to be like.
Hmm... I feel the same. By adjusting the bolster mechanic, a lot of the side effects could be avoided. If bolster didn't boost enemy HP so much and mainly focused on damage, it wouldn't make spellcasters so helpless against boosted monsters, but the monsters would still be threatening.
Other games have bullet sponges, we have arrow sponges! :D

Return to “Might and Magic”