Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 08.09.2019]

Unread postby GrayFace » 21 Sep 2019, 19:02

Templayer wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:From what I know GrayFace's patch is already included in the Merge (the Merge cannot work without it, in fact), so you are probably just screwing it up by updating to a version that the Merge isn't ready for / tested against, maybe overwriting important files.
Nope. When the patch is installed before the Merge, it places "00 patch.*.lod" files into Data folder. Then the Merge is installed, but it modifies original archives rather than adding its very own, so "00 patch.*.lod" override them. The solution is to delete "00 patch.*.lod". I think I'll fix the Merge distribution package to avoid such problems.
That's is basically what I have said. Installing the patch manually may / will result in a rogue file (that overwrites stuff). :D
Not at all. Installing the patch manually is the right thing to do! But only after installing the Merge. It's true that there might be conflicts between them at some point in future when updating the patch (currently I don't test the patch against the Merge, even though I probably should), but that should be easily fixable by installing an older version of the patch.
Templayer wrote:
GrayFace wrote:They do. I should add the script removing the limit from the Merge into the base MMExt.
I would like to take a moment and thank you for all of your effort.
Without you, no M&M modding would be possible, or at least on the scale that it is possible now.
Your reverse-engineering of the game is phenomenal. Both in effort, time taken, and success.
As a fellow programmer I can only stare in awe.
I might have been able to replace Rodril eventually (if his hiatus was indefinite, which it thankfully wasn't), but I couldn't have replaced you.
You're welcome. You're saying it as if Rodril didn't do a ton of reverse engineering to create the Merge, like the aforementioned monsters limit script. But yes, naturally there's a big chunk of it that can be maintained without reverse engineering.
Rodril wrote:Yes. I've posted new base version. I'm not sure wether to start bothering with new separate package for updates again or not, since i won't make updates that often. Is it inconveniently to download 1.6 gb?
Yes, update package is much more convenient. It should be easier to just copy whole Scripts, Data\Tables folders into it rather than only files that changed.
BTW, there's a trick I use in MMExt distribution to delete old files that you can use too - filling file contents with this 1 line and no line break after it:

Code: Select all

-- this file is here to raplace the one from older MMExtension versions
Such scripts are deleted when MMExt is run.
Last edited by GrayFace on 21 Sep 2019, 19:05, edited 3 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 21 Sep 2019, 19:14

Rodril wrote: Yes, regeneration comes from Meditation skill.
In retrospect, I'm not sure if that's such a good design idea. I mean, it drastically reduces the importance of rest and feels just a bit too convenient.
Last edited by Xfing on 21 Sep 2019, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 21 Sep 2019, 20:14

Wonder if dragon vampire can attack with dragon ability in mistform.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 21 Sep 2019, 22:24

Xfing wrote:
In retrospect, I'm not sure if that's such a good design idea. I mean, it drastically reduces the importance of rest and feels just a bit too convenient.
Different players will value it differently. I prefer pushing through with melee combat, and tend to fall back to temples for healing in order to preserve my buffs (especially once I start using the superbuffs). Resting already wasn't as important to me as it should be.

And I've looked at the MP Regen component of Meditation. It restores 1/2 the amount that the skill adds to your total per tick. It's a lot more noticeable in the early game when your mana pool is tiny, but brings the late-game bonus of "you're never stranded if you know Town Portal and can stall for a few minutes"

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 21 Sep 2019, 22:55

raekuul wrote:And I've looked at the MP Regen component of Meditation. It restores 1/2 the amount that the skill adds to your total per tick.
That's a crazy amount! I'd say restore 1 MP on Master level, 2 MP on GM and maybe +1 each 10 levels.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 21 Sep 2019, 23:04

Xfing wrote:
It made the game ridiculously easier (I barely use any magic except the very basics and heal). If 4/5 of your party can cast heal and regenerate their SPs, it's actually a crazy amount.

Is it possible to cancel or at least put a limit on it?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 21 Sep 2019, 23:35

Rodril wrote: :gong:
Apologies for not being able to make Zombie Trolls game-portable. The Source files is all I have, you can find them together with custom Lich and Zombie voices in Content Implementation Queue of the Tracker. ^^;
Yes?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 22 Sep 2019, 00:06

candida wrote:
Xfing wrote:
It made the game ridiculously easier (I barely use any magic except the very basics and heal). If 4/5 of your party can cast heal and regenerate their SPs, it's actually a crazy amount.

If you want to do it yourself, the relevant code is Scripts\General\MiscTweaks.lua:455-466

-- Add a bit of sp regeneration by meditation skill
	function events.RegenTick(Player)
		local Cond = Player:GetMainCondition()
		if Cond == 18 or Cond == 17 or Cond < 14 then
			local RegS, RegM = SplitSkill(Player.Skills[const.Skills.Meditation])
			if RegM > 0 then
				local RegP	= 0.25*(2^(RegM-1))/100
				local FSP	= Player:GetFullSP()
				Player.SP	= math.min(FSP, Player.SP + math.ceil(FSP*RegP))
			end
		end
which isn't what I described at all and it actually looks like it was recently adjusted to be less powerful at low levels and more powerful at high levels. I've modified my local version so that the game adds only your mastery level once per tick (1 for Novice, 2 for Expert, 3 for Master, 4 for GM)

E: Unrelated to the meditation thing, but it looks like if you try hopping across continents before the Letter for YOU is generated then Verdant doesn't talk to you during your attempt to hop across games. Granted, this might not be reproducible without the Class Unlocker component (specifically, starting a Necromancer in Enroth) due to Antagarich putting Master Water all the way in Nighon and both dimension doors in Jadame being near hostile enemies.

The upshot of this is that now I'm stuck in Jadame until I can get GM Water Magic, but as I'm still only level 3 I've got a whole bunch of easy fetch quests I can do to get those last 27 skill points. Plus being stuck in Jadame isn't exactly a burden since I want to pick up Dyson Leland and Overdune Snapfinger Cauri Blackthorn ASAP anyway.
Last edited by raekuul on 22 Sep 2019, 01:20, edited 4 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 22 Sep 2019, 04:34

GrayFace wrote:
Rodril wrote:Yes. I've posted new base version. I'm not sure whether to start bothering with new separate package for updates again or not, since i won't make updates that often. Is it inconveniently to download 1.6 gb?
Yes, update package is much more convenient. It should be easier to just copy whole Scripts, Data\Tables folders into it rather than only files that changed.
BTW, there's a trick I use in MMExt distribution to delete old files that you can use too - filling file contents with this 1 line and no line break after it:

-- this file is here to replace the one from older MMExtension versions
Maybe you 2 could combine your own versions together this time, so that links on the 1st page can be properly updated together with the base Merge, the patch and the update in order to avoid breaking the entire thing? Just a suggestion.
GrayFace wrote:
raekuul wrote:And I've looked at the MP Regen component of Meditation. It restores 1/2 the amount that the skill adds to your total per tick.
That's a crazy amount! I'd say restore 1 MP on Master level, 2 MP on GM and maybe +1 each 10 levels.
I agree, this amount literally makes Liches even more OP than they can be (or "are" in vanilla MM8). I'm with you, GrayFace, on this one.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 22 Sep 2019, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 22 Sep 2019, 07:44

I tend to agree about Meditation. The regeneration part renders SP regenerating items essentially useless, considerably lowers the value of mana potions and makes the early game overall too easy. This is especially true when you have healers: with free SP regeneration, just 2 points of regenerated mana can be used to cast Heal and recover a large number of hit points, unnecessarily increasing the characters' survivability. And being able to wait a few minutes instead of resting 8 hours means you won't lose temporary buffs when recovering SP, thus making the opportunity cost of 'resting' much lower. This waiting strategy only used to be possible originally when all casters had SP regenerating items. I would go so far as return to the original Meditation mechanics. If people want SP regeneration boosted, I think it would perhaps be better to boost the items' effect instead, to be more in line with the original games? Perhaps make them stackable?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 22 Sep 2019, 08:40

Yeah. The only reason why SP regen is convenient is when you're collecting mana for that last Town Portal. But having to first find an item with a mana-regen enchantment balances this convenience out nicely. I'd also be for returning to original Meditation mechanics.

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 22 Sep 2019, 08:48

raekuul wrote:
candida wrote:
Xfing wrote:

If you want to do it yourself, the relevant code is Scripts\General\MiscTweaks.lua:455-466

if RegM > 0 then
			end
		end
which isn't what I described at all and it actually looks like it was recently adjusted to be less powerful at low levels and more powerful at high levels. I've modified my local version so that the game adds only your mastery level once per tick (1 for Novice, 2 for Expert, 3 for Master, 4 for GM)
Thanks, done. Now I need to collect / make blue potions, as well as run into temples for big battles :D
Last edited by candida on 22 Sep 2019, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Sep 2019, 09:41

qtish wrote:I am trying unlocker, and seem to be a bit confused. If you want to make Necromancer with vampire abilities, you choose necromancers portrait and class vampire? When I made necromancer with vampire portrait, I had necromancer with vampire portrait, but not with vampire abilities.
As I have already told you once, you also have to use the Racial Skills modifications for the skills to be bound to races. It is in the same section as the Unlocker.

EDIT: If you use the Racial Skills modification, the Racial Skills are added when you are finished with the Character Creation.
Then just select a Vampire paperdoll, as class select Necromancer. You will have a Vampire Necromancer with Vampire Abilities and a Necromancer as a class.
Last edited by Templayer on 22 Sep 2019, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Sep 2019, 09:57

Rodril wrote:
GrayFace wrote:What happened to the update archive? I only see the full base download. Is it for this version only?
Yes. I've posted new base version. I'm not sure wether to start bothering with new separate package for updates again or not, since i won't make updates that often. Is it inconveniently to download 1.6 gb?
Not at all, I can download it in a few minutes. :D
GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:
GrayFace wrote: Nope. When the patch is installed before the Merge, it places "00 patch.*.lod" files into Data folder. Then the Merge is installed, but it modifies original archives rather than adding its very own, so "00 patch.*.lod" override them. The solution is to delete "00 patch.*.lod". I think I'll fix the Merge distribution package to avoid such problems.
That's is basically what I have said. Installing the patch manually may / will result in a rogue file (that overwrites stuff). :D
Not at all. Installing the patch manually is the right thing to do! But only after installing the Merge. It's true that there might be conflicts between them at some point in future when updating the patch (currently I don't test the patch against the Merge, even though I probably should), but that should be easily fixable by installing an older version of the patch.
So installing the patch BEFORE the Merge is wrong and installing it AFTER the Merge is also wrong, since it might not work and may break some things without the player even knowing.
I think the most prudent way is not to install the patch at all and keep the tested version that is packed with the Merge Package.
GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:
GrayFace wrote:They do. I should add the script removing the limit from the Merge into the base MMExt.
I would like to take a moment and thank you for all of your effort.
Without you, no M&M modding would be possible, or at least on the scale that it is possible now.
Your reverse-engineering of the game is phenomenal. Both in effort, time taken, and success.
As a fellow programmer I can only stare in awe.
I might have been able to replace Rodril eventually (if his hiatus was indefinite, which it thankfully wasn't), but I couldn't have replaced you.
You're welcome. You're saying it as if Rodril didn't do a ton of reverse engineering to create the Merge, like the aforementioned monsters limit script. But yes, naturally there's a big chunk of it that can be maintained without reverse engineering.
I didn't mean any disrespect to Rodril, he is an awesome coder and there are parts of what he did that I wouldn't be able to do easily either.
GrayFace wrote:
Rodril wrote:Yes. I've posted new base version. I'm not sure wether to start bothering with new separate package for updates again or not, since i won't make updates that often. Is it inconveniently to download 1.6 gb?

-- this file is here to raplace the one from older MMExtension versions
Oh please no. I would like to be able to have a working copy of the newest Merge available. Without it, I won't be able to do much. Constantly dealing with rogue files and other errors due to bad updates or whatever kills my jive.
We could have BOTH. If Rodril is willing. :(
raekuul wrote:
candida wrote: It made the game ridiculously easier (I barely use any magic except the very basics and heal). If 4/5 of your party can cast heal and regenerate their SPs, it's actually a crazy amount.

if RegM > 0 then
			end
		end

E: Unrelated to the meditation thing, but it looks like if you try hopping across continents before the Letter for YOU is generated then Verdant doesn't talk to you during your attempt to hop across games. Granted, this might not be reproducible without the Class Unlocker component (specifically, starting a Necromancer in Enroth) due to Antagarich putting Master Water all the way in Nighon and both dimension doors in Jadame being near hostile enemies.

The upshot of this is that now I'm stuck in Jadame until I can get GM Water Magic, but as I'm still only level 3 I've got a whole bunch of easy fetch quests I can do to get those last 27 skill points. Plus being stuck in Jadame isn't exactly a burden since I want to pick up Dyson Leland and Overdune Snapfinger Cauri Blackthorn ASAP anyway.
Phobos wrote:I tend to agree about Meditation. The regeneration part renders SP regenerating items essentially useless, considerably lowers the value of mana potions and makes the early game overall too easy. This is especially true when you have healers: with free SP regeneration, just 2 points of regenerated mana can be used to cast Heal and recover a large number of hit points, unnecessarily increasing the characters' survivability. And being able to wait a few minutes instead of resting 8 hours means you won't lose temporary buffs when recovering SP, thus making the opportunity cost of 'resting' much lower. This waiting strategy only used to be possible originally when all casters had SP regenerating items. I would go so far as return to the original Meditation mechanics. If people want SP regeneration boosted, I think it would perhaps be better to boost the items' effect instead, to be more in line with the original games? Perhaps make them stackable?
Added to the Suggestion Tracker (meditation) and the "hopping before letter for you is generated" has been added to the Bug Tracker.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 22 Sep 2019, 11:31

Templayer wrote:
qtish wrote:I am trying unlocker, and seem to be a bit confused. If you want to make Necromancer with vampire abilities, you choose necromancers portrait and class vampire? When I made necromancer with vampire portrait, I had necromancer with vampire portrait, but not with vampire abilities.
As I have already told you once, you also have to use the Racial Skills modifications for the skills to be bound to races. It is in the same section as the Unlocker.

EDIT: If you use the Racial Skills modification, the Racial Skills are added when you are finished with the Character Creation.
Then just select a Vampire paperdoll, as class select Necromancer. You will have a Vampire Necromancer with Vampire Abilities and a Necromancer as a class.
https://gyazo.com/0ad95785fdcaa4de71ba806bb46ed74c
https://gyazo.com/e710e9958d3c69f2ded82e98ae1efbd5

What am I doing wrong?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 22 Sep 2019, 11:55

BTW, now that I'm playing, I really do think the Knight's Leather skill should be capped at Expert like it was in MM8, rather than MM7's Master. Once racial skill adjustments are completed, I suppose there will be races with bonus to Leather anyway, so it'll be possible to get Knights with master in Leather.

BTW, loving the new interface from the latest Grayface patch! It looks gorgeous. Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to overwrite the previous interface from the Merge in old savegames though - not entirely at least. I am getting the current layout and placement of the spell dialogs, map etc, but I'm not getting those pretty ornaments in the MM8 interface unless I start a new game, for instance.

EDIT: Also, even if you start a new game, the interface in Antagarich and Enroth remains with the same general layout as the MM8 one, including the side ornaments etc. It looks choppy. My personal wish would be to port the entire MM7 hi-res interface Grayface's created for MM7, as that's simply gorgeous! I'm sure his MM6 one will be equally as good once it comes (I don't think it's made as of yet). So I wonder if all 3 interfaces can be eventually ported to the Merge somehow? I know MM7's currently optimized for 4 characters and not 5, but perhaps that can be rectified somehow by minimizing the distance between the portraits or something?
Last edited by Xfing on 22 Sep 2019, 12:50, edited 3 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Sep 2019, 14:10

qtish wrote:
Templayer wrote:

https://gyazo.com/0ad95785fdcaa4de71ba806bb46ed74c
https://gyazo.com/e710e9958d3c69f2ded82e98ae1efbd5

What am I doing wrong?
For the third time... Racial Skills Mod. Have you used it? It is NOT a apart of the Unlocker.

From what you gave us it looks like you didn't use it.
http://www.templayer.cz/storage/MMMerge ... player).7z
Replace existing .txt file with the one in the package.
It binds specific skills to races.

Either that or Rodril changed the structure of the txt table without telling us (which he did say he wanted to do eventually, to be fair), thus it no longer works.
But I need you to tell me if you have replaced the file or not with the one in the 7z.
Last edited by Templayer on 22 Sep 2019, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 22 Sep 2019, 14:32

I havent, was looking for mod, but thats a lot of pages with a lot of stuff, could have given direct link first time :)
Last edited by qtish on 22 Sep 2019, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Rodril » 22 Sep 2019, 15:37

Game files link have been updated.
I'm still struggling with Czech localization, only 8 files left to localize, but i won't finish it today, sorry.
Changelog:
1. Fixed flickering of monsters inside high populated dungeons.
2. Now monsters will cast spirit lash properly (before they did hit only first character, even if he was dead).
3. Power cure casted by monster will heal nearby monsters of same group aswell.
4. Adventurer's Inn in The Breach will allow to hire character left in any world.
5. Black dragon paperdoll have been imported into game, used as default for baby dragon of warlock's promotion quest.
6. Vampire, Dark elf and Dragon base level racial skills can be learned from skill teachers now.
7. Racial Skills.txt table have been extended, now it allow to make class-race combos and support three-way effects (check table for examples).
8. New text table "Bolster - formulas" allow to edit formulas, which used to boost monsters' stats, also it supports custom formulas for monster kinds.
9. Bunch of minor fixes (removed few invisible walls, disabled ability of boulders to leave blood stains, adjusted SP regen of meditation skill).
GrayFace wrote:Yes, update package is much more convenient. It should be easier to just copy whole Scripts, Data\Tables folders into it rather than only files that changed.
I have not tracked changes in .lods for this update, so i won't create separate patch package for this one, but for next one i will. Also I've included patch 2.4, but not 2.4.1. With latest i'm experiencing kind of double click upon toggling mouse look. Reproducable by casting townportal in The Breach: second click causes immediate selection of TP destination and loading screen. Have not look for reasons yet.
SpectralDragon wrote:Apologies for not being able to make Zombie Trolls game-portable. The Source files is all I have, you can find them together with custom Lich and Zombie voices in Content Implementation Queue of the Tracker. ^^;
I will do it myself, don't worry.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Sep 2019, 15:46

qtish wrote:I havent, was looking for mod, but thats a lot of pages with a lot of stuff, could have given direct link first time :)
It's a few lines UNDER THE UNLOCKER THAT YOU DID MANAGE TO FIND!

... so wait. You did know that you need the racial skills mod, you did look for it, but didn't find it, and you didn't say a thing even after I asked you if you have used the racial skills mod a second time? :|

I will never give you another direct link ever again. Next time, find it yourself, instead of ignoring my responses THREE times. This is not kindergarten.
(you could've found it by literally using the Find function - CTRL+F, just BTW).

Return to “Might and Magic”