Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 08.09.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Sep 2019, 15:49

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:Guys, I remember MM6 characters blinking in vanilla. And I do not remember that in MM7 and MM8.
If that is indeed the case (no time to check), that would be one feature to include (quite immersive!).
Check default Liches (or your John Bromin Death Knight! :D :D ) when it comes to visible blinking. They indeed blink alright and yes, there is even an expression for it, seen as number 13 (right after the "Stoned" portrait expression) and it isn't just eyes closing, but also different mouth/muzzle movement as well as head tilting (light as it might be). :devious: Heck, there are also "look up/down/left/right" expressions, marked between numbers 16 and 19! :D
Hmmm. I wonder why I only remember it from MM6 and not MM7+8. I played MM8 the most.
Does it happen in the game? That would be a bug that could be easily... overlooked. :-D
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 13 Sep 2019, 16:25

Templayer wrote:Hmmm. I wonder why I only remember it from MM6 and not MM7+8. I played MM8 the most.
Does it happen in the game? That would be a bug that could be easily... overlooked. :-D
Probably memory fallacy or something. I dunno! (shrug)
Yes, these all show up in the game from what I saw in my own gameplays. It's not a bug at all, it's a game feature. :devious: :devious: If these would never show up, then that would mean missing expression assets. :tongue:
Yes?

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 14 Sep 2019, 01:07

Hello.
First of all, thanks for developing this great idea of a mod merge! It kinda gives new breathe to the legendary 6,7,8 games in the series, a new reason to (re)play.

I've just installed it, as prescribed in the beggining; and was trying it out, but am experiencing a bug in the worlds of Enroth (MM6) and Erathia (MM7); Jadame (MM8) is working fine. Whenever I enter in a building, there is an error
such as this:

Fatal Exception
Can't load tavrich.smk in file: D:\mm75rc\MM8\MMVIII\Code\Video.cpp at line number: 935

If presses Ok, the game still works; but the animated scene doesn't show, as if not entered the building (the outside scene is frozen) but actually I've entered the building, and the NPC portraits and chat options appear to the right despite everything.

I would suppose it has to do with some bad installation in Ubuntu 18.04; I've tried installing in both Lutris and Play-on-Linux. But the problem is persistent.

I hope there is some easy fix. This problem never happened to me while playing the MM6, MM7 or MM8 on those GNU/Linux Windows game emulators.
Thanks.
Last edited by Kinox on 14 Sep 2019, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 14 Sep 2019, 05:37

Kinox wrote:Hello.
First of all, thanks for developing this great idea of a mod merge! It kinda gives new breathe to the legendary 6,7,8 games in the series, a new reason to (re)play.

I've just installed it, as prescribed in the beggining; and was trying it out, but am experiencing a bug in the worlds of Enroth (MM6) and Erathia (MM7); Jadame (MM8) is working fine. Whenever I enter in a building, there is an error
such as this:

Fatal Exception
Can't load tavrich.smk in file: D:\mm75rc\MM8\MMVIII\Code\Video.cpp at line number: 935

If presses Ok, the game still works; but the animated scene doesn't show, as if not entered the building (the outside scene is frozen) but actually I've entered the building, and the NPC portraits and chat options appear to the right despite everything.

I would suppose it has to do with some bad installation in Ubuntu 18.04; I've tried installing in both Lutris and Play-on-Linux. But the problem is persistent.

I hope there is some easy fix. This problem never happened to me while playing the MM6, MM7 or MM8 on those GNU/Linux Windows game emulators.
Thanks.
There is a tutorial on how to play the Merge on Linux on the Tracker. The Tracker is in my signature.+

Warlockk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Warlockk » 14 Sep 2019, 08:03

Good day! :)
Sorry for being incommunicado, have some problems with my Windows, but now it is Ok.

So I have prepared description for Krewlod and map (use MapEditor for Heroes 3 Hota). Need to decide which services will be in Krewlod and teachers, names of houses and tavern. I left some signs on the map with descriptions.
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3oXh/4avfrYoDk
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/5H8F/3rgxF9SA4
Could you inform me if the source work correctly, please/

As for Berserker promotion, I can suggest a quest with a collection 10 Elves mushrooms, 5 wolves skin and 3 scrolls of Berserk for promotion. It is some kind of Easter eggs :-D
As for Сhieftain, I can suggest a quest in Field of glory where you should kill Kilgor.
As for Executioner, I can suggest a quest in Razor Claw lair where you should kill unique Behemoth and help Kilgor to kill king Baragus in the castle Krewlod.

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 14 Sep 2019, 08:53

Since Ive read a few things on new Races I would love to have a Noble Titan and Supreme Titan as races as well. Thank you :)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 14 Sep 2019, 16:52

UnknownHuman wrote:Since Ive read a few things on new Races I would love to have a Noble Titan and Supreme Titan as races as well. Thank you :)
Then vote for it on the poll. It's anonymous, but you have to use a google account (you can make a false one, though... :D )
Unless you have voted for something already.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 14 Sep 2019, 16:54

Warlockk wrote: As for Berserker promotion, I can suggest a quest with a collection 10 Elves mushrooms, 5 wolves skin and 3 scrolls of Berserk for promotion.
And that is why I hate most MMORPGs... "fetch X of this, kill Y of that,..." :D :D
Last edited by Templayer on 14 Sep 2019, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 14 Sep 2019, 20:08

Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for making my childhood dream come true (yes, I've been dreaming a merge of MM 6 7 8 for years).

I have just started playing (decided to start with 7) and found some bugs (searched for them, but haven't found anything in this discussion).

- MM 6 human portraits are not available in 7, but sounds are
- Only minotaurs can be selected, no dark elves or trolls (dragons, neither, but it would be too powerful anyway), again their sound are available
- When I try to change the interface, game crashes (fine as long as I stay with the MM8 interface), I lost my save because of that.
- Donating in temple (just 10 golds) automatically gives Hour of Power, I tried the same in Dagger Wound Islands, result is the same
- Stealing is not available for any class (I made it available with texted), is it on purpose for some reason??
- Druids have GM elemental and clerical spells, making them too powerful

Should they be added to bug tracker?

Thanks already.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 14 Sep 2019, 20:40

I had no idea you actually went ahead and gave Druids GM in their chosen schools of magic. It's logical and makes sense, but dunno... would the devs actually do it themselves if they could sit down and think about class balance again?

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 14 Sep 2019, 21:04

Well, I am not a big fan of spells anyway (using only the very basic and essential ones like heal, town portal and fly) in 7, almost nothing in 8 (thanks dragons), so I won't need them anyway, so just ignore that point.

Others are what I've found so far in the game and not discussed in the forum.

Regarding stealing, what I've further noticed is that even if I learn stealing from the tavern, it does not appear in the character's skills.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 14 Sep 2019, 22:32

Templayer wrote:There is a tutorial on how to play the Merge on Linux on the Tracker. The Tracker is in my signature.+
Thanks! "It worked!"

This google drive document is epic! That's what I was looking for (such like a MM678-merge online rulebook). :up:

I understand it might be an updating document,
but, definitively, the link to this worhtly reference deserves more light upon it. I wish it was put along the the MM678-merge installation guide in the first post for example.

Now, check this:
I've just re-installed the playable game (MM678-merge) in Linux using Lutris (I guess it would work similarly in Play-on-Linux),
and I've discovered there is no need to rename the folders (due to uppercase/lowercase Linux issue).
What I've done instead was much simplier:
I've copy-pasted the CONTENT of similar folders (and not the similar folders themselves!) from MM678-merge to GoG's MM8;
I've only copy-pasted directly whole folders which were unexistant in GoG's MM8. (there are just a few, for example: "/ExeMods", "/Scripts", and both "/Additional UI" and "/Tables" which are to be inside "/Data"; not sure now about "/DataFiles" right now, but the logic is the same: if the folder already exists in GoG's MM8, just copy-paste the interior's CONTENT from MM678-merge, and if the folder doesn't exist in GoG's MM8, just copy-paste directly the whole folder from MM678-merge and it will be fine).
There is the unique (more manual) exception you've mentioned in the google drive document, of /Anims/"mightdod.vid" which isn't overrided by MM678-merge "Mightdod.vid". I've just taken care of deleting "mightdod.vid" after having copy-pasted the CONTENT of "/Anims" 's folder from MM678-merge to GoG's MM8. I still don't know what would happen if I let that file there.

I'm sure there might be an even easier way. But, after checking the instructions in google drive document, I've managed to figure out this alternative step-by-step information. All the bugs have gone as well! :up:
Last edited by Kinox on 14 Sep 2019, 22:38, edited 5 times in total.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 14 Sep 2019, 22:42

candida wrote:Regarding stealing, what I've further noticed is that even if I learn stealing from the tavern, it does not appear in the character's skills.
If you check classes skills informations in Templayer's signature link to a google drive document, "MMMerge Tracker"
it actually says Stealing Skill (at least for the Thief Class, but I suppose it's the Stealing Skill in general), is still under development for MM678-merge. I guess that's what's happening.
Last edited by Kinox on 14 Sep 2019, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 14 Sep 2019, 23:41

candida wrote:- Donating in temple (just 10 golds) automatically gives Hour of Power, I tried the same in Dagger Wound Islands, result is the same
In which Temple did you donate though? Emerald Isle? Harmondale? Any other region temple like Erathia, Tularean Forest, Stone City ...?
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 14 Sep 2019, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 15 Sep 2019, 08:13

candida wrote:Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for making my childhood dream come true (yes, I've been dreaming a merge of MM 6 7 8 for years).

I have just started playing (decided to start with 7) and found some bugs (searched for them, but haven't found anything in this discussion).

- MM 6 human portraits are not available in 7, but sounds are
- Only minotaurs can be selected, no dark elves or trolls (dragons, neither, but it would be too powerful anyway), again their sound are available
- When I try to change the interface, game crashes (fine as long as I stay with the MM8 interface), I lost my save because of that.
- Donating in temple (just 10 golds) automatically gives Hour of Power, I tried the same in Dagger Wound Islands, result is the same
- Stealing is not available for any class (I made it available with texted), is it on purpose for some reason??
- Druids have GM elemental and clerical spells, making them too powerful

Should they be added to bug tracker?

Thanks already.
From the sound of it, you haven't read the Tracker. Please read it. It is in my signature. Use the Character Creation Unlocker to play as any combination of anything on any continent.

Stealing hasn't been implemented in the Merge yet, because it is based on the MM8 engine, which has thieving/stealing dummied out from what I remember.

The Donating and changing interfaces are somethings I would consider bugs, so I will add them to the Bug Tracker, and I will add you to the Bug Catchers section of the Credits Tracker. Before reporting, please read the Tracker, there is a LOT of information there.

EDIT: It was eventually ruled that GM elemental and clerical spells aren't OP for druids, because they are missing Dark and Light schools of magic.
Last edited by Templayer on 15 Sep 2019, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 15 Sep 2019, 08:17

Kinox wrote:
Templayer wrote:There is a tutorial on how to play the Merge on Linux on the Tracker. The Tracker is in my signature.+
Thanks! "It worked!"

This google drive document is epic! That's what I was looking for (such like a MM678-merge online rulebook). :up:

I understand it might be an updating document,
but, definitively, the link to this worhtly reference deserves more light upon it. I wish it was put along the the MM678-merge installation guide in the first post for example.
Rodril wrote: :hug:
This might be worth doing, 'cause at this point I made HUNDREDS of posts just telling people to read the goddamn Tracker in my signature! :D
Kinox wrote:Now, check this:
I've just re-installed the playable game (MM678-merge) in Linux using Lutris (I guess it would work similarly in Play-on-Linux),
and I've discovered there is no need to rename the folders (due to uppercase/lowercase Linux issue).
I've copy-pasted the CONTENT of similar folders (and not the similar folders themselves!) from MM678-merge to GoG's MM8;
I've only copy-pasted directly whole folders which were unexistant in GoG's MM8. (there are just a few, for example: "/ExeMods", "/Scripts", and both "/Additional UI" and "/Tables" which are to be inside "/Data"; not sure now about "/DataFiles" right now, but the logic is the same: if the folder already exists in GoG's MM8, just copy-paste the interior's CONTENT from MM678-merge, and if the folder doesn't exist in GoG's MM8, just copy-paste directly the whole folder from MM678-merge and it will be fine).
There is the unique (more manual) exception you've mentioned in the google drive document, of /Anims/"mightdod.vid" which isn't overrided by MM678-merge "Mightdod.vid". I've just taken care of deleting "mightdod.vid" after having copy-pasted the CONTENT of "/Anims" 's folder from MM678-merge to GoG's MM8. I still don't know what would happen if I let that file there.

I'm sure there might be an even easier way. But, after checking the instructions in google drive document, I've managed to figure out this alternative step-by-step information. All the bugs have gone as well! :up:
Excellent. I will add this to the Tutorial's section, and I will add you to the Tutorial Contribution section of the Credits Tracker. Once I get my soup out of the microwave, that is. :D
Last edited by Templayer on 15 Sep 2019, 08:37, edited 2 times in total.

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 15 Sep 2019, 08:26

SpectralDragon wrote:
candida wrote:- Donating in temple (just 10 golds) automatically gives Hour of Power, I tried the same in Dagger Wound Islands, result is the same
In which Temple did you donate though? Emerald Isle? Harmondale? Any other region temple like Erathia, Tularean Forest, Stone City ...?
Hi,

I did it in Emerald Isle and was surprised. Then, I started in Jadame to check out whether it is limited to Antagarich or not, went to the Blooddrop Temple to check, the result is the same.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 15 Sep 2019, 08:38

candida wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:
Hi,

I did it in Emerald Isle and was surprised. Then, I started in Jadame to check out whether it is limited to Antagarich or not, went to the Blooddrop Temple to check, the result is the same.
Added to the original report.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Sep 2019, 11:57

candida wrote:- Only minotaurs can be selected, no dark elves or trolls (dragons, neither, but it would be too powerful anyway), again their sound are available
Do you mean on MM6/MM7 continents? Or Jedame as well?
candida wrote:- When I try to change the interface, game crashes (fine as long as I stay with the MM8 interface), I lost my save because of that.
ErrorLog.txt from your game folder is needed. Maybe a savegame as well if it's save-specific.
candida wrote:- Druids have GM elemental and clerical spells, making them too powerful
That's a strange decision. I think balance-wise it makes sense to at least give them GM in some schools, because otherwise they're too far behind specialist classes with their GMs and Light/Dark magic. If we do upgrade druids like that, it's the right time to make a race-based upgrade. E.g. human druids could GM self schools, elves could GM elemental schools... Needs thinking through.
Templayer wrote:
As the Lord of the Tracker, you're adding most bugs and it would be best if you gathered extra info about them:
Whenever somebody reports a crash, ask them for ErrorLog.txt. If an error could be save-related, ask for a save file. If someone says a Lua error dialog popped up without specifying its contents, ask for contents.
Kinox wrote:I've just re-installed the playable game (MM678-merge) in Linux using Lutris (I guess it would work similarly in Play-on-Linux),
I wonder if it would be easier to run some commander like FAR from Wine and copy everything with it? I never worked under Linux and never tried Wine though.
Templayer wrote:I mean if I remember correctly cra-p gets censored if written properly. What is the target audience of this forum, 6 year olds? Nah, those probably know more swear words than me nowadays. :D
Holy crap!
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 15 Sep 2019, 12:38

GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:I mean if I remember correctly cra-p gets censored if written properly. What is the target audience of this forum, 6 year olds? Nah, those probably know more swear words than me nowadays. :D
Holy crap!
Crap, it no longer does! We are saved! xD

Return to “Might and Magic”