Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
justl
Demon
Demon

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby justl » 11 Aug 2019, 12:00

DaveHer wrote:
DaveHer wrote:@ Templayer or GrayFace,
I found all the paperdolls except the ones for the drawfs and all their facial expressions seem to be missing . I look in both icon.lod and patch.icon.lod and spent quite a bit of time looking. From what I understand from the tracker is that the size of the belt of the trolls will fit the dwarfs as well. Right?
David
Have you tried looking in dwarves.icons.lod ? :D :D :D (yeap!)

That's where they are at my end. :)

Why don't you just try it out? Wouldn't that be faster? :D

You are right about every thing. :embarrased: There so many Lod file I just did not see it. :wall: In any case the belts of MM6 are finished. :D
What next?
David
i sent you a list with the missing items (artifacts/relics/specials) via pm
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 11 Aug 2019, 12:47

@developers: Just a few random thoughts & questions.

1. MM6 dungeons were not designed for invisibility. Hard places (like Darkmoor) become a cakewalk. Should there be some prevention? E.g. liches & eyes randomly casting dispels even if noone is around, warlocks at Alamos and guardians in tomb of VARN also casting dispels, etc. Of course, you can leave it as it is, and people are free to not use invisibility for additional challenge.

2. Is there any description about how exactly bolster works? I saw some parts of it (like, modifiers for artifacts et al.), but is there any precise formula somewhere?

3. A few thoughts about solo play. I know the game is not designed for that, but original MM6-8 were perfectly soloable for any class, and some people like to play it that way.
3a. When tuning for endurance, Verdant renders a victim unconscious. For a single character you have to either accept a party kill, or take second character for a moment. Can she reduce health to 1 instead?
3b. As I know, at the end you will lose all your party members except one, and then you will have to find them (did not see that quest yet and will not see for a while, just saw forum messages). What will happen if you did not have party members (except for MM8 required ones, that you dismissed long ago)?
3c. What happens if you start at a continent w/o promotion quest for the class? Like, a druid or a thief in Jadame. I guess, it will take finding town portal scroll (or few, and they can still all fail), fighting through Murmurwoods and then travelling to Enroth or Antagarich for promotions. A single guaranteed dimension door scroll will make things much easier.
UPD: Just thought of gate master.
Last edited by andrey on 11 Aug 2019, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 11 Aug 2019, 13:25

DaveHer wrote:
Templayer wrote:
DaveHer wrote: You are right about every thing. :embarrased: There so many Lod file I just did not see it. :wall: In any case the belts of MM6 are finished. :D
What next?
David
Gimme the results as pictures, make a package for GrayFace and me. I will add them to the Paint Tracker (and Implementation Queue). Finish the belts with MM7 ones. Check the tracker for what to do next.
There are some cloaks that haven't been repainted, that would be the next step. Check the Paint Tracker for which ones, as that is its purpose.

After that I if you were to go by complexity - circlets -> crowns -> caps -> helmets -> boots -> armours -> gloves and gauntlets (which when using Sower's script can be made visible on the paperdoll).

EDIT: When giving me pictures as results, make sure they conform to what is already on the tracker, i.e. the best is with a character wearing it, per each paperdoll type (the missing stuff has been put into paperdoll type headers on the tracker)
There are twenty belts and each and every belt has to be positioned on the paperdolls by putting x and y coordinates in the "complex.item.pictures.txt. That's going to take some time. It's a trial and error thing. I was going to start out by putting the existing coordinates of the belts from MM8. It should come close and trust me they will fit once they have been positioned on the paper dolls. :)I think GrayFace can do it faster with the editor? :D I can show you pictures of them as I worked on them with coreldraw. The names given to the belts should work. They have to have special names. I showed GrayFace the five names I gave to belt1 they are as follows: belt1b, belt1c, belt1d, belt1e, and belt1f and ask if they should work. I did not get answer.
Check the previous page, one of my posts there explains what b,c,d,e,and f mean. I will continue with the MM7 belts. :)
David
Well, you could still give me pictures of the various paperdolls wearing them so that I could put that on the Tracker, visually.
That means normal male, normal female, minotaur, troll, dwarf. Per belt.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 11 Aug 2019, 15:39

Well, you could still give me pictures of the various paperdolls wearing them so that I could put that on the Tracker, visually.
That means normal male, normal female, minotaur, troll, dwarf. Per belt.[/quote]
I can put the coordinates into the "complex.item.pictures.txt" file if you don't mind waiting and then take screen shots of the papers in the game or (choice "B" which is faster) give you pictures of the work I done with coreldraw of the paperdolls wearing the belts?
David Hernandez

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 11 Aug 2019, 15:41

justl wrote:
DaveHer wrote:
DaveHer wrote:@ Templayer or GrayFace,
I found all the paperdolls except the ones for the drawfs and all their facial expressions seem to be missing . I look in both icon.lod and patch.icon.lod and spent quite a bit of time looking. From what I understand from the tracker is that the size of the belt of the trolls will fit the dwarfs as well. Right?
David
Have you tried looking in dwarves.icons.lod ? :D :D :D (yeap!)

That's where they are at my end. :)

Why don't you just try it out? Wouldn't that be faster? :D

You are right about every thing. :embarrased: There so many Lod file I just did not see it. :wall: In any case the belts of MM6 are finished. :D
What next?
David
i sent you a list with the missing items (artifacts/relics/specials) via pm
Check your messages.
David

Warlockk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Warlockk » 11 Aug 2019, 17:44

Templayer wrote:Hmm, also beware that coding new skills is going to be a hassle and new spell schools I do not even know if it is possible yet in the Extension. Personally, I would go with the base nomenclature, thus "Efficiency of Magic wand" would be named just "Wands" and everyone could learn it at Normal (except maybe for dragons in the Merge. :D), while normal would be 0% additive, but just enable you to use them. This would put it into the line with other weapon skills. The Sorcerer line would then be able to master it, while Druid line would GM it. Sounds good?
Yeah, sounds perfect! Moreover, can give to classes and Races which have an ability to use magic (Thief, Ranger, Vampire, Dark Elf and so on) ability to learn at an expert level, and Sorcerer and Cleric at Master level. Believe It will be fair enough :)
LordInsane wrote:In the context of MM7, Death Kiss does not seem that useful. While seeing a true underground city of Nighon would be interesting, the source for it as the capital of Nighon is that it was the seat of Mutare - but she seems to begin her rise after MM7, so at that point it would simply be the primary holding of a young but otherwise not particularly notable Overlord.
Yes, it exactly what I want to create, it is a huge space for developing the plot. Intrigue and treachery in the struggle for the throne are always interesting :D
LordInsane wrote:I haven't been able to find any source of Marshank being the name of Tatalia's capital
I remember that I came across Marshank during I was playing Heroes 3 for Fortress. The name of this town was shown rather frequent, so I found this name quite good for capital. However, I also couldn't find any information about the capital of Tatalia kingdom

LordInsane wrote:I do have Ideas for MM8, but they are, as I said, lore-compliant rather than lore-based.
Sometimes a lore-compliant decision can be better than lore-based, actually good ideas are always good no matter whether they lore-based or lore-compliant:)
LordInsane wrote:Part of me want to suggest building the base of the Barbarian from the Troll, as a double effort to phase out non-dragon racial classes in the Merge context and provide a fitting class for Krewlod (and Vori, from what MM8 tells us).
Good idea! :tsup:
LordInsane wrote:I'd suggest Berserker for the promotion (berserk is what berserkers go in battle)
Agree :-D
Last edited by Warlockk on 11 Aug 2019, 17:47, edited 3 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 11 Aug 2019, 20:23

Warlockk wrote:
Templayer wrote:Hmm, also beware that coding new skills is going to be a hassle and new spell schools I do not even know if it is possible yet in the Extension. Personally, I would go with the base nomenclature, thus "Efficiency of Magic wand" would be named just "Wands" and everyone could learn it at Normal (except maybe for dragons in the Merge. :D), while normal would be 0% additive, but just enable you to use them. This would put it into the line with other weapon skills. The Sorcerer line would then be able to master it, while Druid line would GM it. Sounds good?
Yeah, sounds perfect! Moreover, can give to classes and Races which have an ability to use magic (Thief, Ranger, Vampire, Dark Elf and so on) ability to learn at an expert level, and Sorcerer and Cleric at Master level. Believe It will be fair enough :)
LordInsane wrote:In the context of MM7, Death Kiss does not seem that useful. While seeing a true underground city of Nighon would be interesting, the source for it as the capital of Nighon is that it was the seat of Mutare - but she seems to begin her rise after MM7, so at that point it would simply be the primary holding of a young but otherwise not particularly notable Overlord.
Yes, it exactly what I want to create, it is a huge space for developing the plot. Intrigue and treachery in the struggle for the throne are always interesting :D
LordInsane wrote:I haven't been able to find any source of Marshank being the name of Tatalia's capital
I remember that I came across Marshank during I was playing Heroes 3 for Fortress. The name of this town was shown rather frequent, so I found this name quite good for capital. However, I also couldn't find any information about the capital of Tatalia kingdom

LordInsane wrote:I do have Ideas for MM8, but they are, as I said, lore-compliant rather than lore-based.
Sometimes a lore-compliant decision can be better than lore-based, actually good ideas are always good no matter whether they lore-based or lore-compliant:)
LordInsane wrote:Part of me want to suggest building the base of the Barbarian from the Troll, as a double effort to phase out non-dragon racial classes in the Merge context and provide a fitting class for Krewlod (and Vori, from what MM8 tells us).
Good idea! :tsup:
LordInsane wrote:I'd suggest Berserker for the promotion (berserk is what berserkers go in battle)
:devious:

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 11 Aug 2019, 20:56

andrey wrote:There are no visible error messages. Just 2 strange useless menu items instead of "Enter" to the sewers. Or should I go to some internal logs?
Oh, I misunderstood you. Save file should be enough.
DaveHer wrote:I can put the coordinates into the "complex.item.pictures.txt" file if you don't mind waiting and then take screen shots of the papers in the game or (choice "B" which is faster) give you pictures of the work I done with coreldraw of the paperdolls wearing the belts?
If you do screen shots, my Screenshot.lua will make it easier. It's currently here in General folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7lspqm44p91f ... s.rar?dl=0
(These are scripts from an old version of the Merge with some of my scripts added)
Warlockk wrote:
Why additive? The skill can simply determine the skill of spell cast by the wand.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 11 Aug 2019, 21:02

DaveHer wrote:I think GrayFace can do it faster with the editor? :D I can show you pictures of them as I worked on them with coreldraw.
What do you mean? With GIMP? When I did armors I was positioning them in GIMP and using layer coordinates from it.
DaveHer wrote:The names given to the belts should work. They have to have special names. I showed GrayFace the five names I gave to belt1 they are as follows: belt1b, belt1c, belt1d, belt1e, and belt1f and ask if they should work. I did not get answer.
I've no idea.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 11 Aug 2019, 21:08

GrayFace wrote:
Warlockk wrote: Yeah, sounds perfect! Moreover, can give to classes and Races which have an ability to use magic (Thief, Ranger, Vampire, Dark Elf and so on) ability to learn at an expert level, and Sorcerer and Cleric at Master level. Believe It will be fair enough :)
Why additive? The skill can simply determine the skill of spell cast by the wand.
Holy crud, yeah, that is probably the way to go. :D
Why didn't I think of it before?

Anyway, I wanted to make the list of bugs to solve ASAP this weekend, but I instead spent it getting rid of viruses.
So I only have the top two at the moment! :D

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EstelRandir » 11 Aug 2019, 22:47

The following appears to be a "table overflow" error with regard to the +hit statistic.

I have a character with grandmaster armsmaster skill of +28, a belt with +17 armsmaster, (made by using the enchant skill), Fleetfingers (artifact) +8 armsmaster, Wallace (artifact) +10 armsmaster. They all stack. Total of +63 armsmaster skill. All of these items are achievable without using cheat engine. With all of this plus my characters statistics, my +hit is +178. If I increase my armsmaster skill to +29, my +hit drops to +52 from +178. At least that is what my character screen is showing.

For comparison, In the original stand alone MM8, I was able to get +142 hit without cross-continent artifacts. My total armsmaster skill was 27 (no item boosts).

There are probably other possible such errors given the ability to combine artifacts, etc from 3 continents that were never intended.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 11 Aug 2019, 23:16

GrayFace wrote:
DaveHer wrote:I think GrayFace can do it faster with the editor? :D I can show you pictures of them as I worked on them with coreldraw.
What do you mean? With GIMP? When I did armors I was positioning them in GIMP and using layer coordinates from it.
DaveHer wrote:The names given to the belts should work. They have to have special names. I showed GrayFace the five names I gave to belt1 they are as follows: belt1b, belt1c, belt1d, belt1e, and belt1f and ask if they should work. I did not get answer.
I've no idea.
I did not know that you could find the coordinates with gimp. Maybe the same can be done with coreldraw. I will look into that. No the names don't work, :( but I think i get it now. I studied Rodrid's video very closely and in it he talks about the postfixes images. :) Hopefully I can get those belts into the merge. I also studied the dwarf.icon.lod. v1 = man, v2 = woman, v3 = minotaur, v4 = troll, and v5 = dwarf. These letters and numbers go at the end of the name of the belts that's in the items.txt file. The name of the first belt is "belt1a" as it appears in items.txt. So the image that appears in the inventory will have "belt1av1" and the one that goes on the paperdolls will have "belt1av1a" and this is for the man's belt. The others are done in similar way. I have already done the names of first belt only to see if it will work. I placed the coordinates of the MM8 belts into the MM6 belts. It should be close. There will probably be adjustments to be made. But first I got to get this thing to work. When I placed the image on the paperdoll I would get a cyan square with a red circle with a red diagonal on the circle. :(
David
Last edited by DaveHer on 11 Aug 2019, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 11 Aug 2019, 23:46

[quote="GrayFace"]
If you do screen shots, my Screenshot.lua will make it easier. It's currently here in General folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7lspqm44p91f ... s.rar?dl=0
(These are scripts from an old version of the Merge with some of my scripts added)
Thanks for the scripts. :tsup: But first I got to get those names right. Of the images that is.
David

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 12 Aug 2019, 00:40

@GrayFace and Templayer'
I finally got belt number one of MM6 to work with the merge and no adjustments to coordinates were done. The coordinates from MM8 work fine for belt one. They will probably work fine for the rest of the belts. :-D :D :applause: I will have screenshots tomorrow.
David Hernandez

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 12 Aug 2019, 04:25

Warlockk wrote:
While it's tempting to think so due to the -er suffix, in fact "berserk" and "berserker" can serve as and in fact are the same word pretty much - they both come from Old Norse "berserkr", meaning "bear shirt" or "bear coat". The final "r" was a thing often added at the end of words in Old Norse and then dropped in its child languages. Therefore, "to go berserk" shouldn't be understood as "to fall into the state of berserk", because "berserk" is not a state, it's a person. "Berserker" is just an alternate form of the word :D

Anyway, glad to see this is picking up steam again. I haven't played in a while as I'd played tens of hours of this already and needed a bit of a break. But missing belts, armors and such always were the thing I was the most excited to see one day, so I'm happy someone picked it up at long last. Best of luck with that endeavor! A while ago I came up with modded stats for all the items with the integration in mind, so there's no redundancy and no items identical except for the appearance - you can already see it in the game with the weapons. Once all the assets are redrawn and implemented, we can take it the rest of the way too.
Last edited by Xfing on 12 Aug 2019, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

QuicksilverLamp
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby QuicksilverLamp » 12 Aug 2019, 04:56

Having an issue giving the baby dragon from MM7 warlock promotion a name. When a name is entered in a conformation message comes up saying "Dragon's name will be "name" are you sure? (Y/N)" So far I have been unable to get the confirmation message to apply. Whatever I put it seems to input as a new name which is then prompting a new confirmation message. So I run into a loop that looks like this:
"Choose name for your dragon." Lets say I input Jeb for the name.
"Dragon's name will be "Jeb", are you sure? (Y/N)" I then type Y and other variations of yes.
"Dragon's name will be "Y", are you sure? (Y/N)"
"Dragon's name will be "y", are you sure? (Y/N)"
"Dragon's name will be "Yes", are you sure? (Y/N)" And so on and so on, the name never gets confirmed.

LordInsane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordInsane » 12 Aug 2019, 14:27

Warlockk wrote:
Well, it is mostly that Death Kiss wouldn't be anything special on that front in MM7's timeframe. You'd find similar intrigue in practically any colony of the Overlords of Nighon, it is just that Mutare will have luck in her schemes letting her hijack Ordwald's years of preparation and leapfrog to immense personal power, which she'll then leverage to extend hegemony over Nighon.
As an alternative suggestion to Death Kiss, how about Mederon's Hold? It is a bit of a lore-leap since we don't know what Mederon's capital was called, but it could be an interesting way to both have an underground Nighon city with intrigue and struggle and provide a tie to lore from MM8.
Although focusing on Krewlod first is probably best, from a workflow perspective.
Warlockk wrote:
What I'm imagining is extending the out-of-bounds road in northwestern Garrote Gorge to be a proper road leading west, leading to 'Frost Peaks' (or something similar in name), a map akin in design to the snowy mountains part of MM7's Tatalia, inhabited by a druidic circle. This provides three things: a snowy area for MM8 in a way that is a reasonable extrapolation of the shown map, a home for the Druid class, which the Druid Circlet seems to point to NWC having planned for MM8 (it would of course also provide a use for the Druid Circlet), and more MM8. The more ambitious/less lore-compliant take would be to add in a quest to recruit the Druids for the Alliance as well.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 12 Aug 2019, 16:28

EstelRandir wrote:The following appears to be a "table overflow" error with regard to the +hit statistic.

I have a character with grandmaster armsmaster skill of +28, a belt with +17 armsmaster, (made by using the enchant skill), Fleetfingers (artifact) +8 armsmaster, Wallace (artifact) +10 armsmaster. They all stack. Total of +63 armsmaster skill. All of these items are achievable without using cheat engine. With all of this plus my characters statistics, my +hit is +178. If I increase my armsmaster skill to +29, my +hit drops to +52 from +178. At least that is what my character screen is showing.

For comparison, In the original stand alone MM8, I was able to get +142 hit without cross-continent artifacts. My total armsmaster skill was 27 (no item boosts).

There are probably other possible such errors given the ability to combine artifacts, etc from 3 continents that were never intended.
Good find! Added to the Bug Tracker. I've also added you to the Bug Catchers section of the Credits Tracker.
QuicksilverLamp wrote:Having an issue giving the baby dragon from MM7 warlock promotion a name. When a name is entered in a conformation message comes up saying "Dragon's name will be "name" are you sure? (Y/N)" So far I have been unable to get the confirmation message to apply. Whatever I put it seems to input as a new name which is then prompting a new confirmation message. So I run into a loop that looks like this:
"Choose name for your dragon." Lets say I input Jeb for the name.
"Dragon's name will be "Jeb", are you sure? (Y/N)" I then type Y and other variations of yes.
"Dragon's name will be "Y", are you sure? (Y/N)"
"Dragon's name will be "y", are you sure? (Y/N)"
"Dragon's name will be "Yes", are you sure? (Y/N)" And so on and so on, the name never gets confirmed.
I won't add this to the bug tracker, since this is already there - all the text inputs are glitched. It's the number 1 worst glitch right now, miles away from other glitches in terms of importance.
The text input will yield eventually... if you select the correct thing like 20+ times or so.
After it yields, use the Cheat Engine from the Tracker as a Character Editor and edit your dragon's name.
We need to get this glitch fixed ASAP.
Last edited by Templayer on 12 Aug 2019, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 12 Aug 2019, 18:25

I will not be able to get the phones to day. But hopefully in the next two days.
David

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 12 Aug 2019, 19:19

DaveHer wrote:I will not be able to get the phones to day. But hopefully in the next two days.
David
Phones? I didn't order any phones!

Return to “Might and Magic”