Spin the Skill Wheel

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Labyrinth » 08 May 2006, 16:47

This is indeed a thing with the BIG WOOOOW effect - congrats for that.

The idea for presenting the skills and abilities is really a new, fresh and foremost *great* idea. Unfortunately, though, this thing is hardly usable.

For short ability-chains, you can easily catch those lines and arrows on one sight, but finding out what you need for stuff like Urgash's Call, Arcane Omniscience or Howl of Terror is practically impossible. You just can't track down all those lines, twisting, turning and crossing each other, going in totally different directions and distracting your clear eye.

I think this could be optimized - so there is still hope ;) :). For example, moving Eternal Servitude to the right, Raise Archers to the left and Banshee Howl to the bottom would shorten those paths to their prerequisites drastically and make things clearer.

Furthermore, I'd increase the size of the arrows and darken their color for better contrast.

I hope, you can make top-down tracing as easy as the way up from the bottom!
What the #$*! do we know?

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Vision » 08 May 2006, 16:49

Click on one of those skills. For example, clicking on Urgash's Call will highlight everything you need to acquire it, using both the normal methods and the "center" optional starting points.

For Urgash's Call, it will highlight the prerequisites in the outer rings as well as Mark of the Damned and Consume Corpse, which can be used to hit the third circle skills.

=)
Edited on Mon, May 08 2006, 10:51 by Vision

Aurelain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Aurelain » 08 May 2006, 17:01

Gnoll_Mage wrote: "Wizards and Warlocks can get destructive magic skills of the inner circle without learning destructive magic at all?"

I am aware of this discrepancy. I guess you are right, but the files I used didn't show it. For example, Sap Magic (Wizard) is inside Destructive Magic, but doesn't supposedly require Basic Destructive Magic. Once we know how it is, I will fix it.

Top-down tracing, as mentioned by Jerrie, might be useful if your're wondering: "which skills depend on this one?". But I guess it would complicate the interface.

Zombie_Inc
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Zombie_Inc » 08 May 2006, 17:24

Regarding Guardian Angel: I think it has to be at least one Archangel, since it disappears after combat. If it doesn't resurrect anything, then your hero will vanish even if it wins...
"Patching Eternal!"

scorch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby scorch » 08 May 2006, 18:06

I got a Q about "Twilight" in demon lord.

how i can get "twilight" that belong to light magic if i don't learn even "vasic light magic" ??????

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 May 2006, 18:24

You see theres no arrow pointing to twilight, it requires either dark or light magic to be avaiable. But with the warlock and necromaner, the story is another. So my guess is that stand alone abilities require either of other or no prequires at all.
Edited on Mon, May 08 2006, 12:27 by Orfinn

umfridus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby umfridus » 08 May 2006, 18:36

Some skills' prerequisites are just insane. For something as useless as Mana Burst, you need to sink 11 points into three other schools which otherwise contribute NOTHING specific to Demon Lords. Hey, at least make some efforts to make all the skills at least somewhat useful and obtainable.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Akul » 08 May 2006, 18:42

My congratulatios to you :)

This is even better thene the H4 spellbook. I just hope that I'll be able to download it.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Skill Wheel

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 May 2006, 19:00

Zombie_Inc wrote:"Regarding Guardian Angel: I think it has to be at least one Archangel, since it disappears after combat. If it doesn't resurrect anything, then your hero will vanish even if it wins..."
Nope. And Archangel appears on the BF and ressurects ur last stack, then disapears.

You basicaly just get a free ressurect, and that's it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Aspiriins
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Aspiriins » 08 May 2006, 19:04

Trully impresive and as I am also a Flash programmer, I can give even a big bonus for little protection for hidding the exact location of the swf file ;)

https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm5/skillwheel.swf

this is the URL, what You need to enter in order to download. You need Firefox or Flash Capture to download (Internet Explorer will not copy it).

In addition, You will need Macromedia Flash Player Installed OR just put this file into any Internet Browser

P.S. I hope this will not ban me from this web-page :((

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Kalah » 08 May 2006, 19:30

Man, this thing rocks.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Amgor II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Amgor II » 08 May 2006, 21:53

The amount of time and work to put that together must of been a labor of love, and sure one great job.
In the world of the Dead, its nice to be alive,I think.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 May 2006, 22:01

Yeah, nice chart. Looks very useful.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Psychobabble » 08 May 2006, 22:41

Wow!

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Malicen » 08 May 2006, 23:24

This is so COOL! Man, GREAT job!
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Skill Wheel

Unread postby socketboy » 09 May 2006, 02:39

AWESOMENESS

Pol
Admin
Admin

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Pol » 09 May 2006, 07:25

Tremendously wonderful (& useful) ;-)

-- Many Thanks for it
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 09 May 2006, 07:54

Uhh, goody! This is way too good :D
An hour of reading straight ahead..
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Labyrinth » 09 May 2006, 10:32

[quote by="Vision"]Click on one of those skills. For example, clicking on Urgash's Call will highlight everything you need to acquire it, using both the normal methods and the "center" optional starting points.

For Urgash's Call, it will highlight the prerequisites in the outer rings as well as Mark of the Damned and Consume Corpse, which can be used to hit the third circle skills. [/quote]

Oh wooooow! Yes, I totally missed that feature! (Maybe a hint needed?)

So finally I regard this thing as pretty easily usable :) EDIT: This is not enough said. With the click-feature, the prerequisites of each ability are so clearly laid out, and additionally so perfectly arranged in terms of 2d-space - it's really striking. How did you get this idea of using circles?

Kind remarks:

- Could the tooltip popup timeout be reduced a bit? Or even set to zero?

- For some Abilities (Elemental Balance, Mark of the Damned), the description does not fit into the popup window. Any plans to make them dynamic-sized?
Edited on Tue, May 09 2006, 04:44 by Jerrie
What the #$*! do we know?

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Skill Wheel

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 09 May 2006, 20:29

Superd work! But there's a little mistake in the Wizard part: Tears of Asha Vision is switched with Spoils of War.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Return to “Articles”