H3 Mechanics Questions

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Alure155
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H3 Mechanics Questions

Unread postby Alure155 » 07 Jun 2019, 01:57

I've got some questions regarding game and unit mechanics. So I've read about a strategy on the H3 wiki called "Wraight bombing". Basically, a secondary hero with 7 stacks of wraiths rushes an enemy hero in order to drain said hero of his/her mana. 7 stacks drains it faster than 1 stack, regardless of the number of units. This got me thinking: Do other unit effects also become more powerful if there are several stacks of creatures?
For instance:
Bone/Spectral dragons decrease enemy morale by 1. If I had 2 stacks of Bone Dragons, would the enemy morale decrease by 2 as opposed to 1? What if I had a stack of Bone Dragons and a stack of Spectral Dragons? Would morale decrease by 2 or only by 1?
^^^^Same goes for the Devils/Archdevils and their luck drain^^^^
^^^^Same goes for Angels/Archangels and their boost to friendly morale^^^^
^^^^And for the Mages/Archmages with their ability to reduce the required amount of spell points needed to cast a spell.
^^^^And for the Pegasi/Silver Pegasi and their ability to make the enemy waste extra mana to cast spells.
Is the Necromancy bonus provided by the Necromancy Amplifier and Soul Prison permanent, or does it last only as long as I own the town that contains those buildings?
At what level do Dragon Flies cast their weakness spell upon attacking an enemy? Is it basic or advanced?
What spells have effects that are stackable? I know that Disrupting Ray is one such spell.
Is the Jousting Bonus of Cavaliers/Champions affected by the shortest distance between the Cavalier/Champion stack and the target or the distance that the stack actually travels?
How far does the Unicorn's/War Unicorn's aura of magic resistance extend?
Does Frost Ring do double damage if it affects a large unit and happens to hit both of the hexes that said large unit occupies?
Last edited by Alure155 on 07 Jun 2019, 03:06, edited 4 times in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: H3 Mechanics Questions

Unread postby Pol » 07 Jun 2019, 13:32

This is a very complex multipointquestion. Neverthless I will try to provide you with (some) answers.

Interesting strategies usually employ:
* Wraights, Familiars, Trolls, Archmages, Pegasi, Pit Lords, Medusas... and so on

Wraights and Familiars can consume enemy mana, though they both use a different method. For both creatures is advantageous to divide them into more stacks. And are highly useful against enemies with a low mana pool.

Archmages and Pegasi are a very cool units, from mana view they are quite the opposite. It doesn't matter how many of them do you have, or in how much stacks, the effect is not cumulative.

Medusas, Dendroids, Behemoths, Hydras works very nicely with Teleport. (Mighty Gorgons too. BTW one of my favourite actions is to use Expert Teleport on Medusas and stone an enemy unit.)

But as a rule of thumb the effects are not stackable.

For having Necromancy bonus you need to own amplifier. No amplifier, no bonus. More amplifiers = higher bonus. Somewher on CH there was a table.

Most spells from creatures (Genie, Dragon Flies, Faerie Dragons, Ressurection) are cast with Advanced Effects. To have Expert Effect you need to move them on Magic Plain.

Disrupting Ray is sure one - and in this way the only. Of course you can cast mines repeatedly or quicksands to get more of them. As long as enemy doesn't have Expert Dispel. Also you can combine Stone Skin and Prayer and such to raise your stats.

Joust bonus is affected by distance which Cavaliers/Champions travel. Haste is your friend here.

Not much, one hex around only.

I think no, but not sure about it.
Last edited by Pol on 07 Jun 2019, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Alure155
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alure155 » 10 Jun 2019, 21:20

Thanks for your reply. I've got two more questions.
Can Faerie Dragons and any units that have Magic Mirror deflect AOE spells that affect them, but are not directly targeted at them? For example, if I were to cast Frost Ring, Inferno, or Fireball near a unit with Magic Mirror (But not directly over it), will the spell have a chance to rebound onto one of my units?
Also, how does Magic Mirror treat Chain Lightning? Does only the first creature hit by it have a chance to deflect the spell, or does every creature have a chance to deflect?
For instance, suppose that I was fighting seven stacks of Faerie Dragons. I cast chain lightning on one of them and hope that it hits the others. Does only the Dragon that I cast CL on have the possibility of deflecting the spell, or does every FD that gets hit have a chance to deflect it with Magic Mirror?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Jun 2019, 07:51

Any enemy spell have chance to bounce back, so yes.

I would bet that only first, though I never thoroughly tested it. Never seen it though, that additonal targets would reflected the spell.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Alure155
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alure155 » 02 Jul 2019, 23:21

The Heroes 3 Wiki says that the Thieves' Guild building for the Cove in HotA opens 2 additional tiers of information in the Guild, so it gives more information than in Standard HoMM3. What are those 2 tiers of info?
Also, in the standard game, one of the pieces of information that a Thieves' Guild can offer is a player's "Personality". What types of personalities are there, and what do they mean?
Last edited by Alure155 on 02 Jul 2019, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 06 Jul 2019, 15:35

The amount of data available in thieves guild depends on number of taverns controlled. I guess that 2 tiers count as two ordinary taverns? I do not have Hota running at the moment.
Personality says whether the player is human or AI and the latter can have explorer, builder and fighter personalities depending on whether it prioritizes economy or dwelling structures and probably how it interacts with the map. I do not remember any map where the AI personality actually makes a notable difference though.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”