Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 29 Jun 2019, 18:24

"Warping MM6-styled or MM7-styled Paperdolls into the style of MM8" has been added to the Tutorials Tracker.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 30 Jun 2019, 05:09

Templayer wrote:"Warping MM6-styled or MM7-styled Paperdolls into the style of MM8" has been added to the Tutorials Tracker.
It's the same process that I used with armors, so you can add "or armors" to the title.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EstelRandir » 30 Jun 2019, 06:28

It has been many years since I visited this project. But lately I have been playing around with the new version just a bit. I remember way back a discussion regarding that when you choose to start in Enroth, the starting quest was not working (letter to Andover & then Wilbur in Castle Ironfist). I see that seems to still be the case. So, how do you start the quest & progress in Enroth then?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 30 Jun 2019, 06:53

EstelRandir wrote:It has been many years since I visited this project. But lately I have been playing around with the new version just a bit. I remember way back a discussion regarding that when you choose to start in Enroth, the starting quest was not working (letter to Andover & then Wilbur in Castle Ironfist). I see that seems to still be the case. So, how do you start the quest & progress in Enroth then?
It has been working just fine for me from the very beginning. Perhaps you have a faulty install, so I would try installing the whole thing again.

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EstelRandir » 30 Jun 2019, 08:32

Phobos wrote:
EstelRandir wrote:It has been many years since I visited this project. But lately I have been playing around with the new version just a bit. I remember way back a discussion regarding that when you choose to start in Enroth, the starting quest was not working (letter to Andover & then Wilbur in Castle Ironfist). I see that seems to still be the case. So, how do you start the quest & progress in Enroth then?
It has been working just fine for me from the very beginning. Perhaps you have a faulty install, so I would try installing the whole thing again.
It seems to work now after I installed only the mod files from here:

Game files (MMExtension, patch and Editor are included, game is not included):
MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!ezhiHQwY!HijXwzpPZxGp ... 7tU1gT2b08

Here is where I was confused. The update is only to update previous installs, not new ones. I was installing the mod files, then greyface 2.3, & then the update. After comparing the two versions of the mod files, I see they are the same files. The update title should have a disclaimer in parenthesis that it is only to update previous installs.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 Jun 2019, 10:03

GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:"Warping MM6-styled or MM7-styled Paperdolls into the style of MM8" has been added to the Tutorials Tracker.
It's the same process that I used with armors, so you can add "or armors" to the title.
Done.
SpectralDragon wrote:*PROD*

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 30 Jun 2019, 20:05

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:(long post, sorry)

Did anyone have any success running this on the original Italian version under windows 10?
It DOES work on wine(*), but I'm trying to get it to work for my brother who hates linux :D

I tried all combinations of
- install mm8
- install mm6+7+8
- (optional) install grayface patch
- (optional) install the 20190610 update
that is, I tried running mm8=>mm678, then mm8=>mm678=>grayface, then mm8=>grayface=>mm678 etc

and the result is that the game gets a longish lua exception if run from mm8setup.exe, while running from mm8.exe gets me to choose which world I want to start from, then my character, and when I click "OK" to start the game it just stays frozen (I tried to let it go for an hour to no avail).

Results confirmed on two different computers.
Grayface patch installed unchecking the options that said needed to be unchecked.

I did try the uploaded working version from https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/members/30609 -- btw thank you Crusader_bin, but:
1. the graphics are horrible, I almost got it working by removing the dgVoodoo* files, could improve it, and
2. I have the __original__ disk from the good old days, it would be nice to get THAT to run :D

If it can be of help I can provide the iso of cd1 or the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII after a fresh install
or whatever else is needed, just ask.

Thank you all in advance

(*) for what little I tried, less than 5 minutes as my priority was setting up the game for my brother
1. Do not use Windows 10 unless you cannot use any other system at all. It's digital cancer.
2. Do not use the italian version. Try using the English GOG one.
3. Jamesx's download does not have the dxVoodoo thingy and it works. (that is the one I currently have, since the 20190610 update is a bit broken right now...)
1. I use linux or bsd (==>wine), windows when I have to (or I'm curious to see wsl related news); my brother uses windows 10, I would have to drag him kicking and screaming if I wanted to make him run linux (or maybe have his .profile run startx and his .xinitrc run wine running this merge :)
2,3 I tried any version I could get my hands on; the one with dxVoodo "works" (as in iirc the game starts) but it's so horrible it's too ugly for screenshots; the one by Jamesx, AND a copypaste of my wine install, they end up stuck when I'm done creating a new character and click ok (is it "unresponsive application" in English? anyway, taskmgr.exe says it's stuck doing nothing and not responding - 0% cpu, negligible memory)

BUT...
My wine install also had an autosave from when I tried to see if it worked; creating a new game doesn't work, but LOADING an already created game works!
Well, almost - if I try to save, it freezes again, my bro will have to play without saving :D

Verified by using the "Saves" directory from the installation and the one in the virtual store ("%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\...").

No idea why I'm the only one with this problem, as it's two fairly standard windows installs; my laptop in particular, I hardly ever boot into windows 10,
it's 99% an excuse to see if wsl works as advertised - now please don't tell me "just run wine from wsl", ok? that will be my VERY last resort :D

So, if anyone has any idea, or can tell me how to get better info, I'd be very grateful.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 Jun 2019, 21:28

eilacomeva wrote:
1. I use linux or bsd (==>wine), windows when I have to (or I'm curious to see wsl related news); my brother uses windows 10, I would have to drag him kicking and screaming if I wanted to make him run linux (or maybe have his .profile run startx and his .xinitrc run wine running this merge :)
2,3 I tried any version I could get my hands on; the one with dxVoodo "works" (as in iirc the game starts) but it's so horrible it's too ugly for screenshots; the one by Jamesx, AND a copypaste of my wine install, they end up stuck when I'm done creating a new character and click ok (is it "unresponsive application" in English? anyway, taskmgr.exe says it's stuck doing nothing and not responding - 0% cpu, negligible memory)

BUT...
My wine install also had an autosave from when I tried to see if it worked; creating a new game doesn't work, but LOADING an already created game works!
Well, almost - if I try to save, it freezes again, my bro will have to play without saving :D

Verified by using the "Saves" directory from the installation and the one in the virtual store ("%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\...").

No idea why I'm the only one with this problem, as it's two fairly standard windows installs; my laptop in particular, I hardly ever boot into windows 10,
it's 99% an excuse to see if wsl works as advertised - now please don't tell me "just run wine from wsl", ok? that will be my VERY last resort :D

So, if anyone has any idea, or can tell me how to get better info, I'd be very grateful.
You did run everything as an administrator, right? :D :D
So what you did was that you took the autosave from the wine install to the Win10 install and loading it works, but saving afterwards and also finishing the party creation (which does autosave!) crashes.

The thing that occurs to me right off the bat is that in both cases (saving in Win10 after loading an autosave from the Wine one, or autosaving when finishing Character Cretion), you are trying to write a file (savefile to be precise), and that crashes it, but loading existing doesn't - maybe the system forbids the merge to create the savefile? Are you running it as an administrator? I do hope that you have turned your UAC off and didn't install it into a path that contains the string "program files". Win10 is notoriously overprotective of anything that is inside a path that contains "program files" in any shape or form. If you do not know what UAC is then google it up. You might like Win10 even less afterwards. :D

Jamesx's version works fine on my Win7. (with UAC removed from the system completely and no "run as administrator" shennanigans due to me modifying it to work the same way as it did on XP, so instead of me having to give administrator rights to apps, they have that by default and I can manually limit those (i.e. the opposite principle. I was tired of running 99% things as an administrator manually)).

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 30 Jun 2019, 22:34

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:

BUT...

You did run everything as an administrator, right? :D :D
So what you did was that you took the autosave from the wine install to the Win10 install and loading it works, but saving afterwards and also finishing the party creation (which does autosave!) crashes.

The thing that occurs to me right off the bat is that in both cases (saving in Win10 after loading an autosave from the Wine one, or autosaving when finishing Character Cretion), you are trying to write a file (savefile to be precise), and that crashes it, but loading existing doesn't - maybe the system forbids the merge to create the savefile? Are you running it as an administrator? I do hope that you have turned your UAC off and didn't install it into a path that contains the string "program files". Win10 is notoriously overprotective of anything that is inside a path that contains "program files" in any shape or form. If you do not know what UAC is then google it up. You might like Win10 even less afterwards. :D

Jamesx's version works fine on my Win7. (with UAC removed from the system completely and no "run as administrator" shennanigans due to me modifying it to work the same way as it did on XP, so instead of me having to give administrator rights to apps, they have that by default and I can manually limit those (i.e. the opposite principle. I was tired of running 99% things as an administrator manually)).
I tried a regular account and an administrator account (without the "run as administrator" or whatever it's called). I'm a computer programmer, but I had no idea there were special restrictions about running stuff under "Program files" ("program files (x86)" in my case, but it's really the same) - as now it's past midnight, tomorrow I'll try to just copy&paste the install somewhere else and if it works you'll probably hear me screaming all the way from Italy...

The reason I didn't think of it is the part about the virtual store (which as a unix person I find super cool) - I tried deleting the saves directory from prog/mm8/saves and ONLY having a save directory in the virtual store, it loaded but couldn't save just the same - under linux I would run "strace mm8", is there a reasonable equivalent to see exactly what is the troublesome operation?

Fwiw UAC is enabled, but I would expect it to annoy me - like, if I run mm8setup.exe it will popup and say "really? you sure?".

Like I said, I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, and whether it works or not, thank you for the help.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 30 Jun 2019, 22:45

I nearly forgot a couple of things...

1. one reason I didn't think of permissions is that plain mm8 works, the virtual store does its job
2. there is a file called lod.tmp in my virtual store (%LOCALAPPDATA%/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/3DO/Might and Magic VIII/lod.tmp), and grep says that mm8.exe does contain "lod.tmp" - it's a similar size to autosave.dod (944k instead of 948k), and while I have no idea about the internal format cmp(1) says the first 277 bytes are equal. But right now I'm too tired to think if this is the greatest clue ever or just mental masturbation, just writing it here in case it matters and I'll try your suggestion tomorrow. Good night.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 01 Jul 2019, 09:16

The game writes data to lod.tmp and then overwrites a save file with it. Let's investigate. Run this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhf5sdq2e0e7m ... n.rar?dl=1 Then switch to the game, let it get stuck, then switch back to this program (it should display MM8 title at this point) and press "Crash". Upload both the ErrorLog.txt from virtual store/game folder and CrashEIP.txt from the folder of this program.
Last edited by GrayFace on 01 Jul 2019, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 01 Jul 2019, 12:07

MM6 Question: I saw that I can get peasants to thief or Monk (Misty Islands)... Is there some way to get their respective promotions in Enroth?
Last edited by alekssandros on 01 Jul 2019, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 01 Jul 2019, 12:19

alekssandros wrote:MM6 Question: I saw that I can get peasants to thief or Monk (Misty Islands)... Is there some way to get their respective promotions in Enroth?
Pretty sure you have to go to Antagarich (mm7) for the continued promotions.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 01 Jul 2019, 13:44

GrayFace wrote:The game writes data to lod.tmp and then overwrites a save file with it. Let's investigate. Run this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhf5sdq2e0e7m ... n.rar?dl=1 Then switch to the game, let it get stuck, then switch back to this program (it should display MM8 title at this point) and press "Crash". Upload both the ErrorLog.txt from virtual store/game folder and CrashEIP.txt from the folder of this program.
Ok, same as unix then, thank you :)

here are the results (took a couple of attempts because your program was trying to catch the alt+tab window instead of mm8 :)

CrashEIP = 76FE07EC

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ErrorLog.txt says:

Time: 01/07/2019 15:34:35 (01.07.2019 13:34:35 UTC)
Windows Version 6.2

Exception EAccessViolation in module MM8patch.dll at 00000000.
Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000.

Function Calls:

764CDC35 ? C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll + 10DC35
764CDBDA | C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll + 10DBDA
0332F6BF | C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 6F6BF
0045F91B | C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 5F91B
76FB5D15 ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 45D15
76FB5B91 ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 45B91
76FB50BC ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 450BC
76FB509B ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 4509B
0049CCC5 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 9CCC5
032C2097 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 2097
032C2C98 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 2C98
76FB50BC ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 450BC
76FB509B ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 4509B
004DA170 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + DA170
0045D0AF | C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 5D0AF
02F0C039 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 3C039
02F0C9F2 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 3C9F2
02F0CA5D ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 3CA5D
02F0F0C9 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 3F0C9
02F0F175 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 3F175
02F0F18A ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 3F18A
02ED4EBF ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 4EBF
02ED2F45 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 2F45
02ED32BC ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 32BC
02ED3392 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 3392
02ED34D2 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 34D2
02EDB4FB ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + B4FB
02ED6111 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 6111
02ED4DBF ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 4DBF
02ED2A0E ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 2A0E
02ED2AD1 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 2AD1
0045FA14 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 5FA14
02ED2047 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods\MMExtension.dll + 2047
0045E3B6 | C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 5E3B6
004113D2 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 113D2
0332DB78 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 6DB78
00410A41 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 10A41
0048DB64 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 8DB64
0048EE09 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 8EE09
0048C3EA ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 8C3EA
004942A1 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 942A1
00460FA9 | C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + 60FA9
76F9B503 ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 2B503
76FE09AA ? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 709AA
764D63C4 ? C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll + 1163C4
032DEACF ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 1EACF
032DEAEB ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 1EAEB
0332AE48 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 6AE48
03330FFD ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 70FFD
0332F819 ? C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 6F819
004DC906 | C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\mm8.exe + DC906
750B0417 | C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.DLL + 20417
76FD662B | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 6662B
76FD65F8 | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll + 665F8

Registers:

EAX = 00000000
EBX = 0019F5C0
ECX = 76F61CBC
EDX = 00000000
ESI = 00000000
EDI = 0019F5C0
EBP = 0019F5E4
ESP = 0019F580

Stack Trace:

0019F580: 764CDC3B ? C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll + 10DC3B
0019F584: 00000000
0019F588: 0019F5C0
0019F58C: F54C5409
0019F590: 00000001
0019F594: 0019F628
0019F598: 0019F728
0019F59C: 00000024
0019F5A0: 00000001
0019F5A4: 00000000
0019F5A8: 00000000
0019F5AC: 00000000
0019F5B0: 00000000
0019F5B4: 00000000
0019F5B8: 00000000
0019F5BC: 00000000
0019F5C0: FFFFD8F0
0019F5C4: FFFFFFFF
0019F5C8: 00000000
0019F5CC: 0019F58C
0019F5D0: 0019EFB4
0019F5D4: 0019FF60 | TExcFrame.next
0019F5D8: 764E15C0 | C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll + 1215C0
0019F5DC: 8302BFDD
0019F5E0: 00000000
0019F5E4: 0019F5F4 | Last EBP
0019F5E8: 764CDBDF | C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll + 10DBDF
0019F5EC: 00000001
0019F5F0: 00000000
0019F5F4: 0019F608 | Last EBP
0019F5F8: 0332F6C4 | C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII\MM8patch.dll + 6F6C4

================================================================================

just out of curiosity, as a unix programmer who knows nothing about mm8 or your patches,
in the first two lines those zeroes look like a null pointer, is that it?
Or is it an artifact f how your program crashed mm8, or whatever? thanks a lot anyway.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 01 Jul 2019, 15:20

eilacomeva wrote: I tried a regular account and an administrator account (without the "run as administrator" or whatever it's called). I'm a computer programmer, but I had no idea there were special restrictions about running stuff under "Program files" ("program files (x86)" in my case, but it's really the same) - as now it's past midnight, tomorrow I'll try to just copy&paste the install somewhere else and if it works you'll probably hear me screaming all the way from Italy...

The reason I didn't think of it is the part about the virtual store (which as a unix person I find super cool) - I tried deleting the saves directory from prog/mm8/saves and ONLY having a save directory in the virtual store, it loaded but couldn't save just the same - under linux I would run "strace mm8", is there a reasonable equivalent to see exactly what is the troublesome operation?

Fwiw UAC is enabled, but I would expect it to annoy me - like, if I run mm8setup.exe it will popup and say "really? you sure?".

Like I said, I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, and whether it works or not, thank you for the help.
Do what GrayFace has said, and also remember that even through you are running something under an user that belongs to the administrator group (like the default "administrator" account), you still need to launch the program as an administrator, since the restrictions still apply. You have to do some tinkering for them not to. It is retarded, I know.

UAC can deny writing permissions or even delete files without prompting - I saw that happen for my sister on Win8 with The Sims 3. Upon opening the game, the UAC has silently decided that some of the game files are "evil" (I guess) and as I had the folder opened on another screen, I saw files just disappearing in front of me - with no prompt even though UAC was set to prompt the user. And the game crashed, of course. Upon disabling UAC and reinstalling, the game worked flawlessly. I cannot tell you how much I hate the "we decide for you" mentality that Microsoft started using as their main motto from Win8 onwards. Ugh.

Also I am a professional coder as well! :D :D (Java + Javascript + Oracle SQL + Hibernate JPQL)

I do not have any experience with virtual stores (other that the virtual storing that UAC does tends to break games, since it moves the files to the virtual store, but the game if it is old searches for the file in the folder where it is supposed to be, and fails).

UAC won't protect you against anything. Ever. It only screws with you.

EDIT: I see you already did what GrayFace has said. Nice. Let's wait for him. He basically reverse-engineered the entire engine at this point, so he is the person person in the world to help you find the cause of a crash. :D
Last edited by Templayer on 01 Jul 2019, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EstelRandir » 02 Jul 2019, 01:58

Is there a guide on how to handle some of the unique situations this mod allows? Things like starting in Enroth (with help from the class unlocker) with a dark elf or vampire character & how to handle leveling up dark elf or vampire abilities / promotions. Also how & when exactly can you jump continents with your party?

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 02 Jul 2019, 06:11

EstelRandir wrote:Is there a guide on how to handle some of the unique situations this mod allows? Things like starting in Enroth (with help from the class unlocker) with a dark elf or vampire character & how to handle leveling up dark elf or vampire abilities / promotions. Also how & when exactly can you jump continents with your party?
True, a manual for this mod would be great! where specific actions, monsters, spells and items are described. Also new game mechanics, how promotions works (depends on the continent you start at), how to travel to the new continent and how to travel between the old continents. And many other things I didn't mentioned. I really would like to help in this or other categories (if my help isn't unnecessary). I don't know anything about coding, but I have some photoshop skills and would like to use them for creating a beautiful manual for this great new game and maybe add a small piece to this big and beautiful puzzle called Might and Magic Merge. what do you guys think about it?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 02 Jul 2019, 07:45

I like the idea of a manual. Writing it should be done carefully in a way that gives the necessary information without spoiling anything for new players. As a new player, I for example wouldn't want to know the mechanics of intercontinental travel beforehand - I would want to discover them myself. If the mechanics were explained, they could be in a spoilers section. I would however want to know that the general possibility of continent-hopping exists, because it's the main attraction of the mod. Promotion mechanics should probably be explained because they have posed a lot of questions in the past. The Sorcerer promotion line is especially convoluted, so listing every class with each possible promotion would probably be called for. The ability to edit various things via data tables could be explained as well.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 02 Jul 2019, 08:36

Phobos wrote:I like the idea of a manual. Writing it should be done carefully in a way that gives the necessary information without spoiling anything for new players. As a new player, I for example wouldn't want to know the mechanics of intercontinental travel beforehand - I would want to discover them myself. If the mechanics were explained, they could be in a spoilers section. I would however want to know that the general possibility of continent-hopping exists, because it's the main attraction of the mod. Promotion mechanics should probably be explained because they have posed a lot of questions in the past. The Sorcerer promotion line is especially convoluted, so listing every class with each possible promotion would probably be called for. The ability to edit various things via data tables could be explained as well.
I don't know if you can discover the way for intercontinental travel without being told. I know how to do it only because I was told how to do it by Rodril and then i wondered how can I discover it on my own. The answer use to be in the tracker also. :)
David
Last edited by DaveHer on 02 Jul 2019, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 02 Jul 2019, 09:13

DaveHer wrote:
Phobos wrote:I like the idea of a manual. Writing it should be done carefully in a way that gives the necessary information without spoiling anything for new players. As a new player, I for example wouldn't want to know the mechanics of intercontinental travel beforehand - I would want to discover them myself. If the mechanics were explained, they could be in a spoilers section. I would however want to know that the general possibility of continent-hopping exists, because it's the main attraction of the mod. Promotion mechanics should probably be explained because they have posed a lot of questions in the past. The Sorcerer promotion line is especially convoluted, so listing every class with each possible promotion would probably be called for. The ability to edit various things via data tables could be explained as well.
I don't know if you can discover the way for intercontinental travel without being told. I know how to do it only because I was told how to do it by Rodril and then i wondered how can I discover it on my own. The answer use to be in the tracker also. :)
David
I know actually via the quest, but dunno if i go I will can come back xD the quest giver talk too much but dont specify nothing xD

Return to “Might and Magic”