Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby Roticet » 20 Jun 2019, 16:18

Templayer wrote:Also I am not panicking over Rodril not being here for over a week, since that is usual, I am only panicking about the fact that SpectralDragon already mentioned - many people saw this mod in the span of the past week and what they could only get is a broken version. Not good for the reputation for the mod, which is solid with only small bugs remaining.

I just hope it won't be as it was with RoboBob on Gnomoria - he deleted his plans for the mods future, released a 1.0 version (which included a lot of new bugs) and left the project. That was sad, I really loved that game.

IF YOU WANT TO USE THE MOD USE JAMESX'S VERSION NOT FAR BACK IN THE THREAD.
MAIN DOWNLOAD IS BROKEN AS OF YET AND RODRIL IS GONE FOR THE MOMENT (NOT UNUSUAL, AT LEAST I HOPE)

That is the one I tested and it worked fine.
The one rodril linked works just fine for me. That's why it's curious that you're having all those issues.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Jun 2019, 16:39

Roticet wrote:
Templayer wrote:Also I am not panicking over Rodril not being here for over a week, since that is usual, I am only panicking about the fact that SpectralDragon already mentioned - many people saw this mod in the span of the past week and what they could only get is a broken version. Not good for the reputation for the mod, which is solid with only small bugs remaining.

I just hope it won't be as it was with RoboBob on Gnomoria - he deleted his plans for the mods future, released a 1.0 version (which included a lot of new bugs) and left the project. That was sad, I really loved that game.

MAIN DOWNLOAD IS BROKEN AS OF YET AND RODRIL IS GONE FOR THE MOMENT (NOT UNUSUAL, AT LEAST I HOPE)

The one rodril linked works just fine for me. That's why it's curious that you're having all those issues.
I am not the only one. There were a bunch of people saying that. Did you try the latest update? Base merge works fine, it is the update that causes the problems.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 20 Jun 2019, 18:05

Preach it, since I wish people to get the best they can, even if the mod might never include all "hole-fillers" and optional content ("hole-fillers" being things that make sense in the mod if people do specific actions, like for example turn a Troll/Minotaur into a Zombie in the base game, which currently leaves a "hole" in the game because there is no visible paperdoll and portrait change for the zombified Troll/Minotaur, Minos not being implemented inside it yet ... and yes, this also includes different vocal cues for Zombies in the base game), but they still deserve the mod that works without any loopholes taken once downloaded in order to make it work in the 1st place. :tsup:

Jamesx's working version is located on the very last thread in page 144!
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 20 Jun 2019, 18:25, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Jun 2019, 18:29

So, guys. I was thinking what else I could do for the mod (except to go script-by-script to find that error, which I wouldn't be able to fix anyway since I cannot edit Rodril's first post...)
And since MM6+7+8 have a Dragon as an icon... I decided to make a hardcore MMMerge icon! Multi-res, even with a big-arse sized variety (256x256 pixels icon!), compatible from Windows XP (included!) to Win10 (I think. I refuse to use Win10 on principle)

Here's the file. Set it as the icon for the merge! Hopefully it will get implemented eventually:
Direct download: http://www.templayer.cz/storage/Might%2 ... 20Icon.ico
Ulož.to: https://www.ulozto.net/!cgx77mqPxauQ/mi ... h-icon-ico

Here's what is actually inside that .ico file:
EDIT: IMGUR screwed with the files, making absolute transparency black and partial transparency white, which looked terrible. Fixed.
ImageImageImageImageImage

And here's a favicon (website tab icon, essentially): Image
Which can be downloaded from here:
Direct download: http://www.templayer.cz/storage/Might%2 ... %20Web.ico
Ulož.to. https://www.ulozto.net/!vkkOaZuZwXOx/mi ... on-web-ico

Here's how it actually looks in my Win7 (which I am booted in right now):

EDIT: And yes, I do own the politically incorrect version of Chuchel. Sue me. :D :D
Last edited by Templayer on 20 Jun 2019, 20:06, edited 4 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 20 Jun 2019, 18:34

Templayer wrote:*updated ico. quote*
Doesn't mean that trying to fix that error is not a sin, as then you can PM Rodril its exact location and thus make sure no ickies like that happen ever again, not to even mention have a backup in case more people come here complaining of the broken downloads of this mod. I definitely would madly appreciate it. :tsup: :hug: ;)

As for the icon, well, best icon EVER. :D :D :D Choosing a drunk Dracolich for it ... I LOVE it!
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 20 Jun 2019, 20:23, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 20 Jun 2019, 19:33

(long post, sorry)

Did anyone have any success running this on the original Italian version under windows 10?
It DOES work on wine(*), but I'm trying to get it to work for my brother who hates linux :D

I tried all combinations of
- install mm8
- install mm6+7+8
- (optional) install grayface patch
- (optional) install the 20190610 update
that is, I tried running mm8=>mm678, then mm8=>mm678=>grayface, then mm8=>grayface=>mm678 etc

and the result is that the game gets a longish lua exception if run from mm8setup.exe, while running from mm8.exe gets me to choose which world I want to start from, then my character, and when I click "OK" to start the game it just stays frozen (I tried to let it go for an hour to no avail).

Results confirmed on two different computers.
Grayface patch installed unchecking the options that said needed to be unchecked.

I did try the uploaded working version from https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/members/30609 -- btw thank you Crusader_bin, but:
1. the graphics are horrible, I almost got it working by removing the dgVoodoo* files, could improve it, and
2. I have the __original__ disk from the good old days, it would be nice to get THAT to run :D

If it can be of help I can provide the iso of cd1 or the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII after a fresh install
or whatever else is needed, just ask.

Thank you all in advance

(*) for what little I tried, less than 5 minutes as my priority was setting up the game for my brother

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 20 Jun 2019, 19:34

I managed to forget the lua exception in case it's useful, here it is:
����������������������������������������������������������������������������������
...ht and Magic VIII\Scripts\General\1_TownPortalSwitch.lua:87: array index (103) out of bounds [0, 61]

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
...ht and Magic VIII\Scripts\General\1_TownPortalSwitch.lua:87: in function 'ProcessTPTable'
...ht and Magic VIII\Scripts\General\1_TownPortalSwitch.lua:221: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of '__index':
t = (table: 0x044b45e8)
a = 103
v = nil

local variables of '__index':
aorig = 103
a1 = 103
n = 62

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
u4 = (table: 0x04496e78)
GetPtr = (function: 0x043d1720)
obj = (table: 0x044589f0)
o = 6188544
assertnum = (function: 0x04494510)
error = (function: 0x043c97a8)
type = (function: builtin#3)
SetLen = (function: 0x0467c618)
low = 0
GetLen = (function: 0x0467c570)
lenP = 6193780
lenA = (table: 0x04496810)
count = 77
size = 68
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
beyondLen = nil
f = (function: 0x046251e0)
format = (function: builtin#91)
sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
tostring = (function: builtin#18)
tostring2 = (function: 0x04494578)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 20 Jun 2019, 19:40

Templayer wrote:Oh, I didn't even know that there was a way to change the view distance and UI style from the Video settings menu!

I have known for a while about changing the UI, but look at the top of the new UI. It has things missing. How are you going to access your quests, how are you going to rest, and so on. The lod files for these new UI have those icons missing. I was going to put them in but I have not come around to doing it. Have been working on redoing the Chaos Conspiracy mod. :)
David

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Jun 2019, 20:12

eilacomeva wrote:(long post, sorry)

Did anyone have any success running this on the original Italian version under windows 10?
It DOES work on wine(*), but I'm trying to get it to work for my brother who hates linux :D

I tried all combinations of
- install mm8
- install mm6+7+8
- (optional) install grayface patch
- (optional) install the 20190610 update
that is, I tried running mm8=>mm678, then mm8=>mm678=>grayface, then mm8=>grayface=>mm678 etc

and the result is that the game gets a longish lua exception if run from mm8setup.exe, while running from mm8.exe gets me to choose which world I want to start from, then my character, and when I click "OK" to start the game it just stays frozen (I tried to let it go for an hour to no avail).

Results confirmed on two different computers.
Grayface patch installed unchecking the options that said needed to be unchecked.

I did try the uploaded working version from https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/members/30609 -- btw thank you Crusader_bin, but:
1. the graphics are horrible, I almost got it working by removing the dgVoodoo* files, could improve it, and
2. I have the __original__ disk from the good old days, it would be nice to get THAT to run :D

If it can be of help I can provide the iso of cd1 or the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII after a fresh install
or whatever else is needed, just ask.

Thank you all in advance

(*) for what little I tried, less than 5 minutes as my priority was setting up the game for my brother
1. Do not use Windows 10 unless you cannot use any other system at all. It's digital cancer.
2. Do not use the italian version. Try using the English GOG one.
3. Jamesx's download does not have the dxVoodoo thingy and it works. (that is the one I currently have, since the 20190610 update is a bit broken right now...)

DaveHer wrote:I have known for a while about changing the UI, but look at the top of the new UI. It has things missing. How are you going to access your quests, how are you going to rest, and so on. The lod files for these new UI have those icons missing. I was going to put them in but I have not come around to doing it. Have been working on redoing the Chaos Conspiracy mod. :)
David
You can just use the shortcuts! :D :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Jun 2019, 20:15

Icon preview updated in the original post. And do not trust Ulož.to's preview, it's bullsh*t. Both the absolute and partial transparencies work perfectly in both Windows and when the .ico file is opened in GIMP, so I do not get why Ulož.to's preview and IMGUR image sharing are scre-wing it up. :S

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Jun 2019, 20:41

Templayer wrote:So, guys. I was thinking what else I could do for the mod (except to go script-by-script to find that error, which I wouldn't be able to fix anyway since I cannot edit Rodril's first post...)
And since MM6+7+8 have a Dragon as an icon... I decided to make a hardcore MMMerge icon! Multi-res, even with a big-arse sized variety (256x256 pixels icon!), compatible from Windows XP (included!) to Win10 (I think. I refuse to use Win10 on principle)

Here's the file. Set it as the icon for the merge! Hopefully it will get implemented eventually:
Direct download: http://www.templayer.cz/storage/Might%2 ... 20Icon.ico
Ulož.to: https://www.ulozto.net/!cgx77mqPxauQ/mi ... h-icon-ico

Here's what is actually inside that .ico file:
EDIT: IMGUR screwed with the files, making absolute transparency black and partial transparency white, which looked terrible. Fixed.

And here's a favicon (website tab icon, essentially): Image
Which can be downloaded from here:
Direct download: http://www.templayer.cz/storage/Might%2 ... %20Web.ico
Ulož.to. https://www.ulozto.net/!vkkOaZuZwXOx/mi ... on-web-ico

Here's how it actually looks in my Win7 (which I am booted in right now):

EDIT: And yes, I do own the politically incorrect version of Chuchel. Sue me. :D :D
Added to the implementation queue on the Tracker. Headers were added to Spectral Dragon's Minotaurs and my new voicesets on the same queue.

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 20 Jun 2019, 20:50

Templayer wrote:
Roticet wrote:

I am not the only one. There were a bunch of people saying that. Did you try the latest update? Base merge works fine, it is the update that causes the problems.
Yup. Got the latest update and everything. Using your 2 mods as well. On a windows 10 laptop that's about 2 years old. And it runs great. No problems crashing. No script errors. Nothing. Game loads to the title page. Able to create new games and play old saved games. No issues crashing while loading a new map, nothing. Are you able to go into a saved game and then it crashes? Or does it crash after you pick a continent? If so, what place do you choose first? The last 2 games I did, i started in Jadame first. Or does it crash as soon as you attempt to load the game to the title sequence?

Edit: I'm not using that voodoo mod. If you are, then its prolly compatibility issues between the 2
Last edited by Roticet on 20 Jun 2019, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Jun 2019, 20:57

Roticet wrote:
Templayer wrote:
Roticet wrote:
Yup. Got the latest update and everything. Using your 2 mods as well. On a windows 10 laptop that's about 2 years old. And it runs great. No problems crashing. No script errors. Nothing. Game loads to the title page. Able to create new games and play old saved games. No issues crashing while loading a new map, nothing. Are you able to go into a saved game and then it crashes? Or does it crash after you pick a continent? If so, what place do you choose first? The last 2 games I did, i started in Jadame first. Or does it crash as soon as you attempt to load the game to the title sequence?

Edit: I'm not using that voodoo mod. If you are, then its prolly compatibility issues between the 2
I think you have quoted the wrong post.
I do not have Win10. My newest patch crashes at launch, no matter what I do (I spent HOURS trying to figure it out, nothing I did affected it). I do not have or have ever used the dgVoodo thingie.

KankiBoldman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KankiBoldman » 20 Jun 2019, 22:06

Excuse me and I'm sorry for disturbing you good people, but I started to look back to this forum and got interested on the Character editor thingie... Tried the MM8Che first, but found out it wasn't working properly and went even deeper and found out that I was step behind and you already had this Character editor / Cheat engine made by Jessen.. Okay here is the problem: Not sure if this is the right place to post about this, but I'm not that good with these Cheat engine stuff so how do you actually use this Jessen's cheat/character engine? Do I have to download and go through some serious tutorials on how to use Cheat engine or am I in the wrong direction already?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 20 Jun 2019, 22:27

KankiBoldman wrote:Excuse me and I'm sorry for disturbing you good people, but I started to look back to this forum and got interested on the Character editor thingie... Tried the MM8Che first, but found out it wasn't working properly and went even deeper and found out that I was step behind and you already had this Character editor / Cheat engine made by Jessen.. Okay here is the problem: Not sure if this is the right place to post about this, but I'm not that good with these Cheat engine stuff so how do you actually use this Jessen's cheat/character engine? Do I have to download and go through some serious tutorials on how to use Cheat engine or am I in the wrong direction already?
1st install cheat engine. Then double click on mm8.CT cheat engine will associate CT files automatically. The run the game. Then press F4 to go into window mod. Then go to Cheat engine and click on icon right below file (looks like a monitor) go down till you find MM8.exe and select it.

KankiBoldman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KankiBoldman » 20 Jun 2019, 22:34

DaveHer wrote:
KankiBoldman wrote:Excuse me and I'm sorry for disturbing you good people, but I started to look back to this forum and got interested on the Character editor thingie... Tried the MM8Che first, but found out it wasn't working properly and went even deeper and found out that I was step behind and you already had this Character editor / Cheat engine made by Jessen.. Okay here is the problem: Not sure if this is the right place to post about this, but I'm not that good with these Cheat engine stuff so how do you actually use this Jessen's cheat/character engine? Do I have to download and go through some serious tutorials on how to use Cheat engine or am I in the wrong direction already?
1st install cheat engine. Then double click on mm8.CT cheat engine will associate CT files automatically. The run the game. Then press F4 to go into window mod. Then go to Cheat engine and click on icon right below file (looks like a monitor) go down till you find MM8.exe and select it.
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Crusader_bin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crusader_bin » 20 Jun 2019, 23:37

You must have missed the several posts about view range, It is I who whined about it and it got turned into a feature :P
And I don't agree about Win10 beeing bad, it's way more configurable than previous OS's if you crack it up. Does take some time perhaps, but it's your job to make the OS truly yours. So far it is pretty great for running old games as well with very few exceptions where Windows 7 is just as useless and going back further means virtual machine anyway. And as for modern support, even old versions of Win10 are kind of obsolete when functionality is at stake. It is simply the only way to go for a power user.
I do have a dual boot to Zorin OS I barely ever use and virtual machines for win98 for some super obscure things, but my setup time for those is probably way longer than the usage times.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 21 Jun 2019, 00:58

Templayer wrote:2. I didn't say ANYTHING about a compatibility mode. :D
Did you miss the post where somebody suggested you try it?
Templayer wrote:Here's what is actually inside that .ico file:
That would be a nice icon, but resampling you used blurred it to death.
Crusader_bin wrote:So far it is pretty great for running old games as well with very few exceptions where Windows 7 is just as useless and going back further means virtual machine anyway.
The compatibility problem that's important to me is inability to turn off Aero aka WDM in Win 10, unlike Win 7.
Last edited by GrayFace on 21 Jun 2019, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 21 Jun 2019, 04:39

I'm really surprised with everyone's compatibility problems. I've never had any with this merge at all, though to be fair I'm not quite sure if I grabbed that version from the 10th of June. But yeah, using compatibility mode definitely is something worth considering. I might have it set to win XP or something myself.
Templayer wrote: EDIT: And yes, I do own the politically incorrect version of Chuchel. Sue me. :D :D
What is it with you and political correctness though? I've seen you mention it in the thread several times already. Almost like you're nothing but waiting for someone to call you out on not being politically correct (whatever that means in this case), but no one ever does :D

Crusader_bin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crusader_bin » 21 Jun 2019, 06:00

Listen to 2 or 3 tracks of Steel Panthers. *poof* Political correctness purged for good :D No more of this cancer :D
Edit: This is a thread about people that play a game from 1998. Not this generation anyway. :)
Last edited by Crusader_bin on 21 Jun 2019, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun!

Return to “Might and Magic”