GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.2 [March 17, 2019]

Unread postby Novi » 08 Apr 2019, 23:45

GrayFace wrote:
Novi wrote:Shouldn't they work like Medusa stone in MM7? A chance of applying the status on hit?
There's a Paralyze 'Bonus' and it works perfectly fine. However, Plane Guardians have Paralyze set as a spell.
I'm just saying that maybe that's how they were supposed to work.

Considering how the games were rushed and they made some mistakes in the process and didn't fix them, could be one of those.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.2 [March 17, 2019]

Unread postby Tress » 09 Apr 2019, 09:02

Really minor bug but I noticed that even with latest greyface patch, completion text for black endurance potion quest in Ironsand displays text for luck potion instead.
Last edited by Tress on 09 Apr 2019, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.3 [June 4, 2019]

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 Jun 2019, 14:46

Version 2.3
Here's a screenshot.
<< MM6 - MM8 >>
[+] PaperDollInChests option shows paper doll in chest dialog: value 1 (default) will make it visible when you open inventory of a player, value 2 will make it visible right when you open the chest, value 0 will disable it.
[+] Keyboard control: some dialogs can now be controlled by pressing Up/Down and Enter. E.g. NPC conversations. Only those dialogs that already had everything in place to support it are effected.
[+] Save/load dialogs now react to Enter key.
[+] Newer MP3DEC.ASI version. In theory this might fix some problems with MP3 playback.
[-] My bug: If somehow game window managed to become smaller than 640x480, that wasn't handled gracefully in software 32-bit color mode.
<< MM7, MM8 >>
[+] Widescreen-friendly flexible UI in Hardware 3D mode.
[+] Accurate effects coordinates in Hardware 3D mode.
[+] Accurate coordinates of top part of the outdoor sky in Hardware 3D mode.
[+] In Hardware 3D mode the game was prioritizing interacting with sprites on sides of the view too often.
[-] In Hardware 3D mode bottom of sprites didn't react to clicks indoors when mouse is away from horizontal center of the view.
[-] My bug: "Pixel-perfect mouse targeting in HD mode" wasn't working.
<< MM8 >>
[-] Buildings weren't drawn on sides of the view.
[-] Indoors the field of view wasn't increased to account for wider view, so the area of view was even smaller than in MM6 and MM7.
[-] Quickly pressing R, R, Esc to rest was glitching the game if monsters attacked you in your sleep.
[-] Enter key pressed in the main menu had an effect in the game (when starting a new game).
[-] Screenshots of Saves were shrinked horizontally (fixed in Hardware 3D mode only for now).
Last edited by GrayFace on 10 Jun 2019, 00:30, edited 7 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 Jun 2019, 18:33

I've fixed a bug in the installer and updated UI.txt a bit and reuploaded with the same links. Please re-download.
I've also updated the update for MM678, because I forgot to put some files in it.
Last edited by GrayFace on 04 Jun 2019, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Jun 2019, 14:35

Oops, a bug in a quick fix, classic. I've updated the installer again, please redownload.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 07 Jun 2019, 09:47

Amazing update again. Widescreen in might and magic. Can even adjust the FoV. Some seriously good work.

I've noticed though that some of the text is now blurry again and no matter how I change the scaling params it doesn't seem to affect it anymore. Bugged again maybe?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Jun 2019, 16:59

Novi wrote:I've noticed though that some of the text is now blurry again and no matter how I change the scaling params it doesn't seem to affect it anymore. Bugged again maybe?
Need screenshots

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 08 Jun 2019, 20:13

GrayFace wrote:
Novi wrote:I've noticed though that some of the text is now blurry again and no matter how I change the scaling params it doesn't seem to affect it anymore. Bugged again maybe?
Need screenshots
Ok, so here goes.
Screenshot 1 with my own scaling param settings (ScalingParam1=2 and ScalingParam2=1) https://imgur.com/3I88wnN
Screenshot 2 with defaults (deleted the lines from .ini) https://imgur.com/R1AmHXa

The blur isn't anything too bad, but my point was that I could adjust the values before to make the text more crisp and second point is that the shots are very much identical and the parameters don't really change anything right now.

Anyway, just me being nitpicky :P

Edit: Of course the blur also depends on what resolution I put the window at, but I set it up to work well for my fullscreen as I don't like to play in a window. The screenshots are taken with the game at fullscreen at 1920x1080. If I put the game to a window (height is 960 pixels, width not sure, it adjusts), it's all crisp.
Last edited by Novi on 08 Jun 2019, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Jun 2019, 20:39

Ugh, indeed they were ignored by new UI drawing routine.

Velaar.Felps
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velaar.Felps » 09 Jun 2019, 16:20

Hi GrayFace,

Thanks for a decent update. Is there a way to make the status bet less flickery? Maybe even keep the background drawn at all times? I tried playing with the UI.txt but wasn’t able to figure this out.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 09 Jun 2019, 17:02

Velaar.Felps wrote:Is there a way to make the status bet less flickery? Maybe even keep the background drawn at all times?
You can try setting StatusbarPlace=-1. It will be placed below portraits, but won't be disappearing. Now that I thought of it, I do have a good idea of how to make it not flicker in the future.
Last edited by GrayFace on 09 Jun 2019, 17:03, edited 3 times in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.3.1 [June 10, 2019]

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Jun 2019, 00:21

Version 2.3.1
<< MM6, MM8 >>
[+] Right click menu in item selection dialog of Enchant Item and similar spells. In MM7 it already works by default.
<< MM7, MM8 >>
[-] My bug: ScalingParam1 and ScalingParam2 options were ignored in flexible UI mode.
<< MM8 >>
[+] UI.txt: Clicking on the man that symbolizes party buffs now brings up the quest log. Turns out that's what happens if you click the top-left pixel of it in regular UI mode.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 10 Jun 2019, 10:08

Thank you again for the hotfix. With all these changes I didn't think were even possible before, I have to ask. How plausible would it be to increase the draw distance? That's about the last thing graphics wise that I think would be nice to see improved.

Also, would like to explain another meaningless bug I mentioned earlier, but didn't go to detail about. In MM8 (7 works fine), you know how when you mouse over (talking about mouse over, not clicking on!) a spell, it will "highlight". in any spellbook (any magic school, even the special ones like dragon included), there is always one spell out of the 4 or 11, which will not highlight when mousing over. What's even weirder is that when you select a spell (just one click, not actually cast it), a different spell will stay gray even when mousing over and there's also one spell that when selected, all others light up just fine when mousing over. Anyway, just a silly bug if you felt bored and wanted to look into it :D

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Jun 2019, 19:23

Novi wrote:How plausible would it be to increase the draw distance? That's about the last thing graphics wise that I think would be nice to see improved.
I did it for the level editor and only for MM8 (because everything in MMExt is MM8-first since the inception of mm8.5 project), but didn't turn it into a general option. It's easy to edit the script like I described here: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... or#p376600

I already tried to inspect spells selection, but it turned out tricky to find.
Last edited by GrayFace on 10 Jun 2019, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Velaar.Felps
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velaar.Felps » 10 Jun 2019, 20:42

You can try setting StatusbarPlace=-1. It will be placed below portraits, but won't be disappearing. Now that I thought of it, I do have a good idea of how to make it not flicker in the future.
Thanks for the hint. Actually would be nice to keep the background (of the status bar) visible at all times and only show/hide the text.

It is way worse when walking in MM7 because more objects have names on them (Tree/Rock/etc) and the cursor constantly 'catches' those names

Allester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Allester » 12 Jun 2019, 15:00

@GrayFace,

Would you ever work on Patching in the Quest Removed from MM8 - Like the Stonehinge quest in Murmurwoods that brings the Druid's crown forward?
Or the Fire Fortress in the Fire Plane that should have had a Quest to defeat the General inside.

So many unused quest maps that they didn't have time to Finish that I'd love to see have Quests fixed/finished. Any chance you'd work on that?

Velaar.Felps
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velaar.Felps » 12 Jun 2019, 15:24

@Allester

Don't know if Sergey will work on it but at a certain point I tried to spin up a project to re-introduce Vori to M&M7 by using snow and maps from MM6 and adding a subplot (like modern DLCs). Didn't work out, fount that I'm an awful level designer (but a good writer :) )

Also everything points out that MM8 was supposed to be an expansion of MM7 (see the dev map below) that includes elemental planes and the dark elves are most likely snow elves with some skin tan)

It might be something that the merge project might be interested in, but their hands seem to be full with.. well, bugs.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 12 Jun 2019, 16:52

Velaar.Felps wrote:Also everything points out that MM8 was supposed to be an expansion of MM7 (see the dev map below)
What?? It's just an MM7 map with nothing MM8-related.

Velaar.Felps
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velaar.Felps » 12 Jun 2019, 17:08

GrayFace wrote:
Velaar.Felps wrote:Also everything points out that MM8 was supposed to be an expansion of MM7 (see the dev map below)
What?? It's just an MM7 map with nothing MM8-related.
Ok, sorry about that, miscommunication on my side. Was sure that I've seen in in a JVC interview that they were developing an expansion to MM7 when 3DO repurposed the project to a standalone. I think he was answering about the 'lack of content'. But as I wasn't able to find a solid source/link for an interview, let's assume that someone casted 'feeblemind' on me and the lack of MM8 consistency/content is just a timing issue.

Speaking of the map - the elemental planes are in the top right corner, but yes, it's a speculation at best

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Jun 2019, 19:05

Velaar.Felps wrote:Speaking of the map - the elemental planes are in the top right corner, but yes, it's a speculation at best
A few days ago when I googled I've seen 1 or 2 mentions of this idea, but without a reference to any interviews, just as a personal theory.
The map is cool, thanks! It solves the mystery of missing out07 and out08 maps. All outdoor location indexes match. BTW, this also means that the map was done pretty early in the development of MM7, before Celestia and The Pit maps were created. Of course makes me wonder what the elemental planes were planned for as well.
Last edited by GrayFace on 15 Jun 2019, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”