Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 31.05.2019]

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 03 Jun 2019, 14:02

I know I˙m filling this forum like crazy, but here is where stuff gets good. Since Ghost Dragon is, well, a ghost, it also has a special quirk: fading in and out according to his conditions and maybe some expressions. ;)

Gotta pay tribute to Heroes 3 after all, where it (Ghost Dragon unit) also occasionally fades in and out. :D
Yes?

Pixoala
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pixoala » 03 Jun 2019, 14:50

Hello !
Thanks for fixing the paint bug. :)
If the mage who cast the fly spell die, the spell is no longer active. Is it intented ?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 03 Jun 2019, 15:29

Pixoala wrote: If the mage who cast the fly spell die, the spell is no longer active. Is it intented ?
Yes. Same if he's Paralyzed, Unconscious, Stoned or Eradicated.
Yes?

Pixoala
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pixoala » 03 Jun 2019, 16:11

Ok didn't know that (first time my mage die xD).

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 03 Jun 2019, 16:16

SpectralDragon wrote:I know I˙m filling this forum like crazy, but here is where stuff gets good. Since Ghost Dragon is, well, a ghost, it also has a special quirk: fading in and out according to his conditions and maybe some expressions. ;)

Gotta pay tribute to Heroes 3 after all, where it (Ghost Dragon unit) also occasionally fades in and out. :D
He should be so noisy? I mean, it's an idea, or it's just a way how the gimp make a trasparent layer?
I tried it too, that's what I got

UPD
tried your version on game background... Maybe it's even better.. idk :D
Last edited by Jamesx on 03 Jun 2019, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 03 Jun 2019, 16:22

Pixoala wrote:Ok didn't know that (first time my mage die xD).
I had Druids die more times instead. :D While for Sorcerers in any stage, kind of overprotective to let them die. :D :D
Jamesx wrote: He should be so noisy? I mean, it's an idea, or it's just a way how the gimp make a trasparent layer?
I tried it too, that's what I got.
It's both an idea based on Heroes III Ghost Dragon sprite (since in early 2000s "Dissolve" was used to make a thing somewhat transparent, basically not changing the opacity of the top layer at all, instead just filling it with tiny single pixels all over) and one of many settings that you can change layer opacity in GIMP. What you used there is "Normal", I used "Dissolve" instead, since "Dissolve" makes the effect look more like something you'd see in a game from early 2000s, if you ask me. ;)

Definitely better on the 2nd try right there if you ask me. No worries, once I'm done you'll get them source files for you to experiment on, the dissolving ones being ones I've intended for the game because well, azure background. :D :D I still wonder how these look like when being downscaled after all, ha ha ha!
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 03 Jun 2019, 16:25, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 03 Jun 2019, 16:33

SpectralDragon wrote: Definitely better on the 2nd try right there if you ask me. No worries, once I'm done you'll get them source files for you to experiment on, the dissolving ones being ones I've intended for the game because well, azure background. :D :D I still wonder how these look like when being downscaled after all, ha ha ha!
Well, this is a good question))
Not so bad actually))) it could be worse :D :D :D

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 03 Jun 2019, 16:34

Roticet wrote:ns? Maybe the MM8 one since it's small. Not sure about how difficult it would be to copy that dungeon and re-skin it. Or maybe, take the Abandoned Temple from MM8 Dagger Wound Island, and convert that? As in, the players are fighting their way through all the bugs to get to the rest of the game as Temp had said? Monsters are re-named. Though, I would request that there be a boss monster at the end of the Temple or Dungeon for Rodril specifically. And some mini-boss monsters for the other major coders like Grey Face.
No-no-no. NWC dungeon was only fun in MM6 and it's NWC after all. We need our own dungeon. Reskin would be a good call. Some unusual blend of textures, e.g. combining kreegan textures with regular textures, textures from different games that go together nicely. Also, no need to fight bugs. Rather, some set of existing monsters. Manticores? And, of course, us as interactive props or something.
A completely new dungeon is better suited for something bigger than an easter egg. I imagine reusing Snergl's mines from Castle Ironfist, for example.
Also, there is a big unused dungeon in MM6 and a set of miniature dungeons as well.
Templayer wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:Yes, I know that in-game, he´ll be displayed as "Zombie". I don´t know what to do about that. :sad:
Rodril can probably make a specific override so that when a dragon race becomes zombified, the result is a "Ghost Dragon" string, not "Zombie".
The condition should be "Ghost" not "Ghost Dragon".
Last edited by GrayFace on 03 Jun 2019, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 03 Jun 2019, 16:36

Jamesx wrote: Well, this is a good question))

Not so bad actually))) it could be worse :D :D :D
Very much, at least it's still visible enough for people to click on. :D :D

I'll leave you a note regarding ones that I personally envision being in the game without any layer opacity changes on your side in the zip file once I complete the entire thing.
Grayface wrote:The condition should be "Ghost" not "Ghost Dragon".
"Ghost Dragon" Dragon ... :D :D :D :jester: That aside, agreeing.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 03 Jun 2019, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 03 Jun 2019, 16:56

Roticet wrote:The only reason I suggested a reskinned dungeon was to make things easier. TBH, if a new dungeon could be made, even if small and people are willing to create a new thing, I would rather have that. Be a nice self-contained easter egg. I humbly request that the new dungeon has a secret entrance like all the NWC dungeons in 6-8. Nothing quite like flying up to the top of the giant sword in 8 and spamming space bar for no good reason to all of a sudden appearing in a brand new place for the first time. My recommendation for a spot to "place" the dungeon, would be in MM7, the opposite side of the bridge that connects to Clanker's Lab. Maybe have a signpost saying that Clankers Lab is on the other side or something. Or people could just walk into the middle of that section, be teleported automatically maybe? MM7, Tulerean Forest, Opposite side of the bridge connecting to Clanker's Lab. That is Clanker's Lab right?
HIlariously enough, Clanker's Lab already has such a secret added in the Merge. :D :D :D

So I would make it elsewhere....

... that terrain glitch spike in Castle Ironfist that is in vanilla is there no longer in the Merge, right? Because at the top of it it would be ideal. :D :D :D
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 03 Jun 2019, 17:01

SpectralDragon wrote:I know I˙m filling this forum like crazy, but here is where stuff gets good. Since Ghost Dragon is, well, a ghost, it also has a special quirk: fading in and out according to his conditions and maybe some expressions. ;)

I agree with your method. To show it to others better, maybe Jamesx could animate us a gif of the ghost dragon fading out and in?
I.e. how it will look like in the game?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 03 Jun 2019, 17:08

Templayer wrote: I agree with your method. To show it to others better, maybe Jamesx could animate us a gif of the ghost dragon fading out and in?
Once I'm done with this one (I'm currently at number 13 of the portrait), I'm definitely sending that to him and funnily, I actually imagined that for his trap-dodging animation: instead of going below the screen, it fades briefly out.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 03 Jun 2019, 19:39

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote: I agree with your method. To show it to others better, maybe Jamesx could animate us a gif of the ghost dragon fading out and in?
Once I'm done with this one (I'm currently at number 13 of the portrait), I'm definitely sending that to him and funnily, I actually imagined that for his trap-dodging animation: instead of going below the screen, it fades briefly out.
OK, that is one hilarious way of dodging traps. "Hahah, dodged by phasing out of existence!" :D :D

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 03 Jun 2019, 19:58

Templayer wrote: OK, that is one hilarious way of dodging traps. "Hahah, dodged by phasing out of existence!" :D :D
Sounds like Might and Magic alright. :jester:
Yes?

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 03 Jun 2019, 20:07

You know, one thing that always bothered me in MM6 is how easy it is to finish the Cavalier promotion. It just doesnt seem right that Chadwick just nominates a bunch of random peasants for knighthood. Is there a way to make him refuse to nominate you until you have a certain ammount of FAME (KARMA shouldnt affect it)?

That way you cant just run there at level 1 and get promoted.

Same thing about the Wizard quest in MM6. Just drinking from the fountain shouldnt be enough, you should only be able to do it once you have like expert level in all 4 elemental magics.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 03 Jun 2019, 20:41

Templayer wrote:... that terrain glitch spike in Castle Ironfist that is in vanilla is there no longer in the Merge, right? Because at the top of it it would be ideal. :D :D :D
Nice idea! We can always return it. That would be very secretive though.
Dess wrote:You know, one thing that always bothered me in MM6 is how easy it is to finish the Cavalier promotion. It just doesnt seem right that Chadwick just nominates a bunch of random peasants for knighthood. Is there a way to make him refuse to nominate you until you have a certain ammount of FAME (KARMA shouldnt affect it)?
Nice idea.
Dess wrote:Same thing about the Wizard quest in MM6. Just drinking from the fountain shouldnt be enough, you should only be able to do it once you have like expert level in all 4 elemental magics.
The first time I played I thought it's the water pool in the nearby Fire Lord's place that gives some stats that's the magic fountain. Maybe the quest could require both the magic fountain and that pool.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 03 Jun 2019, 20:46

So, people, I have Dracolich voice sets, and other additional voice sets. (Minotaur Lich and so on)

First, I would like to thank SpectralDragon for setting me back on track. I gave up the first time doing it.

Second, just to imagine what I had to go through to extract this crud - first, I had to check the character creation table (THE ORIGINAL one, not mine which has unlocked everything...) to find out racial indexes (if a race 5 can have the Dragon class in vanilla, that means that racial index 5 is dragon...), then I had to cross-reference that with the character voices table, so that I would get an index of character sounds for the given race, and then I had to crossreference THAT with the Sound table to find out which sound index corresponds to what file. After that, I had to find it and extract it from the lod archive. For all the races I wanted to lichefy, that meant 1117 files. UGH.

Well, I am done. Here's the video showcasting the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb6QxRll58Q

Contains: Classic Lich Remaster (purely optional), Dracoliches, Minotaur Liches, Troll Liches, Vampire Liches and Zombie Liches

And here are the files -
Direct download: http://www.templayer.cz/storage/MMMerge ... player).7z
Direct download originals for comparison: http://www.templayer.cz/storage/MMMerge ... player).7z
Ulož.to download: https://www.ulozto.net/!envFXuqXyd9T/mm ... mplayer-7z
Uložto download originals for comparison: https://www.ulozto.net/!dV1EM33diruO/mm ... mplayer-7z

Those are "Source" files, i.e. not yet compressed enough for the game. Adding them to the game will need some coding.

I also did remaster the original Lich voices, that should be purely optional, even for people that want everything else (i.e. want to have human/elf/dwarf/goblin liches keep their Lich voice and only add additional ones)

Also, bug has been removed from the Bug Tracker due to it being solved some time ago:

Code: Select all

Reported by: Roticet » Apr 8 2019, 8:07
Bug from Vanilla MM7 found. I can't get the wetsuits needed to go to the Lincoln. I opened the chest prematurely in Celeste because I forgot about the bug from the vanilla version. Is there a way to add the wetsuits? I'm doing a second playthrough currently to see if they will spawn correctly. 
Roticet: This bug can be removed, it was fixed a while ago. I forgot to mention this earlier.
Last edited by Templayer on 03 Jun 2019, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 03 Jun 2019, 20:56

Templayer wrote: Second, just to imagine what I had to go through to extract this crud - first, I had to check the character creation table (THE ORIGINAL one, not mine which has unlocked everything...) to find out racial indexes (if a race 5 can have the Dragon class in vanilla, that means that racial index 5 is dragon...), then I had to cross-reference that with the character voices table, so that I would get an index of character sounds for the given race, and then I had to crossreference THAT with the Sound table to find out which sound index corresponds to what file. After that, I had to find it and extract it from the lod archive. For all the races I wanted to lichefy, that meant 1117 files. UGH.
Ancient Crystal Jesus Dragon, that's a crapload of voice files. I can barely imagine how does one code the portrait index nonetheless ... 8| 8| That aside, once it's done rendering files to a higher quality, definitely a checker. :D

... Can you still complete MM7 with Dragons though? Since they cannot take wetsuits and all. 8|
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 03 Jun 2019, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

tinywhitecat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tinywhitecat » 03 Jun 2019, 23:38

I found that you can fall through the floor in Goblinwatch by stopping in the 2nd password doorway (I guess due to the change in physics?), as well as jump through the window in Dragoon's caverns. The dragoon's caverns thing is only really exploitable if it isn't your first continent though, since you probably need to go back through the dungeon to get out.
Also if you are looking for places to either put trainers in Enroth or something, there is a tower in Kriegspire with a door at the top that can't be interacted with (It looks like a dragon tower). It always bugged me because it feels like there should be something important there.
This whole project is really incredible!
EDIT: Now that I think of it, you might get trapped if you jump through the window? That could be a problem.
Last edited by tinywhitecat on 03 Jun 2019, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 04 Jun 2019, 04:26

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote: And here comes the purist.

THIS STUFF IS PURELY OPTIONAL. YOU WOULD HAVE TO SPECIFICALLY USE THE UNLOCKER TO SPECIFICALLY FOR EXAMPLE MAKE A DRAGON NECROMANCER.
If you do that, then you specifically want to have a dragon lich.

Also recheck your lore please. There is a spellcasting dragon in MM lore. Remember Heroes 3? Remember Mutare? She transformed into a dragon, and used ACTUAL MAGIC to force the Green and Golden dragons from AvLee to serve her!

And I believe by Enroth based you mean the world, not the continent. Otherwise we would only play as humans. :)

Zombification still reduces some of your stats, true. Did you try it? I thought it raised strength, actually. Rigor Mortis, you know? Too lazy to check, since you do not check your "facts" either. And the Vampire non-human variants would be available only by using my unlocker. -_-
Are you supposed to make Dragons instead of me? Because that's one HELL of a roast right there and it cannot be any better. :D :D :D
Dunno man, you see a roast and I see a person getting needlessly hostile :D I get it that you're passionate about the project but come on.

Return to “Might and Magic”