Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.05.2019]

Unread postby Jamesx » 29 May 2019, 17:12

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote: Why don't you team up with Jamesx? He made most of the paperdoll repaints, but doesn't feel like making the Minotaur Lich due to not thinking he would make the head proper (if I remember correctly). If you team up with him, I am sure he will have no problems converting your Lich Minotaur final work into something that would work in-game!
My thoughts exactly. I only hope Jamesx knows how to work GIMP. ^^;
Hi)) your pm is blocked somehow
Well, I don't use Gimp at all, but if you draw the heads in gimp and export them as png, I can put them to in-game portraits)
I though maybe you need original minotaur heads? I extract them all
here

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 29 May 2019, 18:05

Templayer wrote:I did de-Skyrimize the Dracolich and Might and Magicified him as well. :D

A step-by step process walkthrough has been sent to Jamesx. I think it now looks much more like a MM character. Jamesx did a good job on the eyes, so I will leave that part to him. He does have whole portrait animations for the dracolich as well, so he has to apply it to all of them.

If you zoom in / out enough for it to be as big as it would be in-game, then I am pretty much happy with my result (except for the eyes that I didn't do, of course)

Also still no front-legs, but...

:jester:
Maybe we can say that front legs were lost during the process? :D
Yes?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 29 May 2019, 19:39

My take on Food and Gold icons for MM6 and MM7 skins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r701g14wemh3 ... G.bmp?dl=0
Vinevi wrote:
Vinevi, I remember you've shown in-progress screenshots of MM6 skin with round selection around player portraits. I've started experimenting with interface. Could you PM me up-to-date working versions of skins?
Templayer wrote: Secret dungeon with all the people who have contributed to the Merge
Templayer » May 27 2019, 16:07
Since we have the Credits Tracker now and we know pretty much everyone who has ever contributed something to this project, maybe it is time to make a Merge secret dungeon. The individual contributors should preferably be programmer art. :D (and Rodril, of course, should be a Crashing Flying Cacti on a throne of some weird material, with GrayFace being a MM6-style 2D NPC on the ceiling). And perhaps do something nice for the various types of contributions (like Bug Catchers should get their own personal thing, a special place if you will)
Sounds cool! I'd suggest a small dungeon that isn't very close to the end of the game and some stuff in it with some monsters as well. Basically, fun to play through, not just observe.
Last edited by GrayFace on 29 May 2019, 21:57, edited 4 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 29 May 2019, 23:11

I have made Echo's Monstrosity compatible with Rodril's MM678 merge. Not all the textures were changed by Echo to make his mod. So I converted only those that were change. I converted the textures so that they would use existing palettes in the merge. This trick was accomplished with Corel Draw. No new palettes had to be created (which is good). At first I was going to create new palettes (using photo shop) for these textures, but the palettes created with photo shop did not work. I had to come up with some other way. All Monsters, textures, and icons are there except three things. They are as follows: I was unable to convert (using the same procedure) the textures for the crystal thing in the center of Ravenshore nor create a palette for them. So no change for the crystal. The water texture were converted they are in the Bitmap.lod file but they do not work. It probable has some to do with the merge (Rodril could probable help with that). I like the water effect in the Monstrosity. One more thing there is a texture missing in Shadowspire near the docks. I could probable fix that if I could get the merge to run in window mod so I can use the editor. I tried all kinds of setting nothing worked. The link to the Monstrosity compatible to the merge is at the bottom of all my posts.
Last edited by DaveHer on 30 May 2019, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

Crusader_bin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crusader_bin » 30 May 2019, 04:07

You can use dgvoodoo to easily run the game in window mode http://dege.freeweb.hu/
That's basically how I stumbled on this great merge project, there was a tut for merge on dgvoodoo somewhere, when I searched for best ways to improve M&M VI :)
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun!

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 30 May 2019, 05:12

Crusader_bin wrote:You can use dgvoodoo to easily run the game in window mode http://dege.freeweb.hu/
That's basically how I stumbled on this great merge project, there was a tut for merge on dgvoodoo somewhere, when I searched for best ways to improve M&M VI :)
I have dgvodoo settings in window mode and it did not work. I disabled dgvodoo and in the launcher clicked for window mode and it did not work :( Thanks any way. David
Last edited by DaveHer on 30 May 2019, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 May 2019, 10:01

GrayFace wrote:My take on Food and Gold icons for MM6 and MM7 skins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r701g14wemh3 ... G.bmp?dl=0
Vinevi wrote:
Vinevi, I remember you've shown in-progress screenshots of MM6 skin with round selection around player portraits. I've started experimenting with interface. Could you PM me up-to-date working versions of skins?
Templayer wrote: Secret dungeon with all the people who have contributed to the Merge
Templayer » May 27 2019, 16:07
Since we have the Credits Tracker now and we know pretty much everyone who has ever contributed something to this project, maybe it is time to make a Merge secret dungeon. The individual contributors should preferably be programmer art. :D (and Rodril, of course, should be a Crashing Flying Cacti on a throne of some weird material, with GrayFace being a MM6-style 2D NPC on the ceiling). And perhaps do something nice for the various types of contributions (like Bug Catchers should get their own personal thing, a special place if you will)
Sounds cool! I'd suggest a small dungeon that isn't very close to the end of the game and some stuff in it with some monsters as well. Basically, fun to play through, not just observe.
You mean like the Bug Catchers fighting a bunch of actual bugs? As enemies? :D :D :D
Added to the original suggestion.
DaveHer wrote:
Crusader_bin wrote:You can use dgvoodoo to easily run the game in window mode http://dege.freeweb.hu/
I have dgvodoo settings in window mode and it did not work. I disabled dgvodoo and in the launcher clicked for window mode and it did not work :( Thanks any way. David
What about doing it the correct way and setting it using GrayFace's patch? My example - in the ini I have:
WindowWidth=-1
WindowHeight=1050
BorderlessFullscreen=1
Which will create a borderless window that is 1050 pixels in height and whatever amount of pixels in width to maintain aspect ratio and not stretch stuff.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Chokk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Chokk » 30 May 2019, 10:41

Hello everyone,

First of all I will make it short, but deep : "Wohaa!" and "Thank you". It is really an amazing work and I really enjoy it so far.

I had some issues during the installation that I wanted to share if any new contender comes and faces the same, because I didn't find the solution anywhere :
During my first try, the quests weren't working and some houses were all shuffled.
My problem was that my MM8 GOG game was in French. I had to turn it in English then copy the Merge files, and eventually apply de location files (I give up on that because the quest item names are all shuffles in French, I'll try to help on that if I manage to understand how to do so).

And some few bugs on my bug tracker so far :

######### MAJOR BUG ############################
- Sometimes when I get inside a house, I crash with the following console :
Seems to happen only in teachers house, and maybe only after I just train levels and spend skill points.

Code: Select all

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307: attempt to index a nil value

stack traceback:
	... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307: in function <... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307':
	d = (table: 0x1dcd7ac0)

local variables of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307':
	(*temporary) = nil
	(*temporary) = 4918987
	(*temporary) = "attempt to index a nil value"

upvalues of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307':
	TeacherTopics = (table: 0x05526050)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
######### MINOR BUG #############################
- In the temple of the Snake, missing texture in x-1155;y1408, it blocks the way but you can finish the dungeon with the secret passage behind the gold dragon.
- Talking to Obelisk (at least in Sorpigal Volcano) opens a dialog with a guard. I get the hint nevertheless.
- Gatekeeper NPC doesn't work, the spell is not cast when asked. Maybe it is intended.
- You can only save/reload for one shop per region to get the spell/item you want. It seems that they are somehow all linked now and when the rolling is made for one shop, it's made for every shop in the region.

######### CAN WE REALLY CALL IT A BUG ? #########
- Everyone in Enroth keeps talking about a spell called Dark Emprisonment. Sounds great but I can't get it ;)
- Master Water dialog in Enroth says I will be able to use Lloyd' Reacon. Lier ! I have to be Grand Master !

Now I go off grid for a month but I can't wait to resume my adventure.
Congrats to Rodril and the contributors. :tsup: :applause: :tsup: :applause:

PS : Lich dragon ? Really ? What a weird thing :D

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 May 2019, 11:30

hi,

the bow itself does what the description says, but i also saw that it throws the enemys back (like force from thor-artifact)
cant remember if it was like that in the original mm-game - anyone knows btw?

thx
justl
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 30 May 2019, 11:47

DaveHer wrote:I have dgvodoo settings in window mode and it did not work. I disabled dgvodoo and in the launcher clicked for window mode and it did not work :( Thanks any way. David
Did you try F4 in the game?
dgVoodoo is bypassed by the patch unless SupportTrueColor is set to 0, because dgVoodoo just slows things down when my patch does the HD mode.
Templayer wrote:You mean like the Bug Catchers fighting a bunch of actual bugs? As enemies? :D :D :D
No, I'm imagining an unusually-looking mini-dungeon, maybe from parallel dimension. At first I thought by Bug Catchers you meant us and I like us being props around the dungeon rather than friendly creatures.
Templayer wrote:Which will create a borderless window that is 1050 pixels in height and whatever amount of pixels in width to maintain aspect ratio and not stretch stuff.
Borderless occupies whole screen. WindowHeight only effects simple windowed mode.
Chokk wrote:- Talking to Obelisk (at least in Sorpigal Volcano) opens a dialog with a guard. I get the hint nevertheless.
Fixed in the upcoming patch version.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 30 May 2019, 14:29

Jamesx wrote: Hi)) your pm is blocked somehow
Well, I don't use Gimp at all, but if you draw the heads in gimp and export them as png, I can put them to in-game portraits)
I though maybe you need original minotaur heads? I extract them all
here
@Jamesx
Well, fudge. I honestly thought it'd work, but well, I'm still new, thus I really dunno how to work most of the website. Sorry for the hassle ...
... and thank you for the heads, since I needed them bloody.

My idea for Minotaur Liches has been drawn here, just so you can see how I envisioned it. ;)
https://sta.sh/023y098nonhj
Yes?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 30 May 2019, 14:37

GrayFace wrote:My take on Food and Gold icons for MM6 and MM7 skins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r701g14wemh3 ... G.bmp?dl=0

Hey, glad to see that you're still active here, since your stock/core game patches of MM6, MM7, and MM8 had basically became essential there. That aside, is there any possibility to import any missing/dummied out features in the stock/core MM8 as well like the entire Dragon biting and clawing thing?

Thank you and yes, looking forward to core/stock MM8 Character Selector Unlocker, since I kind of don't wish to use MM8che to play a Dragon in fear of breaking the save or the game. :D :tsup:
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 30 May 2019, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 30 May 2019, 15:22

SpectralDragon wrote:That aside, is there any possibility to import any missing/dummied out features in the stock/core MM8 as well like the entire Dragon biting and clawing thing?
Yes, if it gets implemented in the Merge, the script can be extracted and used with the original with MMExt.
SpectralDragon wrote:Thank you and yes, looking forward to core/stock MM8 Character Selector Unlocker, since I kind of don't wish to use MM8che to play a Dragon in fear of breaking the save or the game. :D :tsup:
Yes, it's been needing a fixed release for a very long time.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 30 May 2019, 15:36

GrayFace wrote: Yes, if it gets implemented in the Merge, the script can be extracted and used with the original with MMExt.

Awesome, hopefully it does get implemented, since well, it shooting fire all the time does get old rather quickly (not to even mention that little critters like Bestial Animalists cannot get hit by said thing from close quarters. Actually tested that many times. :disagree:)

Very much, as when I checked it, MM8che is being really old as well.^^;
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 30 May 2019, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 May 2019, 15:41

SpectralDragon wrote: My idea for Minotaur Liches has been drawn here, just so you can see how I envisioned it. ;)
https://sta.sh/023y098nonhj
Reposted so that people here can see it. That portrait is absolutely awesome.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 May 2019, 15:43

SpectralDragon wrote:
GrayFace wrote: Yes, if it gets implemented in the Merge, the script can be extracted and used with the original with MMExt.

Awesome, hopefully it does get implemented, since well, it shooting while breathing fire all the time does get old rather quickly (not to even mention that little critters like Bestial Animalists cannot get hit by said thing from close quarters. Actually tested that many times. :disagree:)

Very much, as when I checked it, MM8che is being really old as well.^^;
Dragon melee is already implemented in the Merge, isn't it? With portrait animations and sounds? I remember discussing it with Rodril when the override of all attacks for the breath weapon was removed. (or only applied to a ranged attack, as it should be in vanilla but isn't...)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 May 2019, 15:45

justl wrote:hi,

the bow itself does what the description says, but i also saw that it throws the enemys back (like force from thor-artifact)
*picture*
cant remember if it was like that in the original mm-game - anyone knows btw?

thx
justl
It wasn't. Rodril added that. Perhaps it should be mentioned in the description.
Last edited by Templayer on 30 May 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 30 May 2019, 15:49

Templayer wrote: Dragon melee is already implemented in the Merge, isn't it? With portrait animations and sounds? I remember discussing it with Rodril when the override of all attacks for the breath weapon was removed. (or only applied to a ranged attack, as it should be in vanilla but isn't...)
Should be by now by what you say, problem is find where the script for it is and implementing it into core/stock MM8 via MM8Ext, so that it's active in stock/core game of MM8 as well. Grayface knows more about it than I do, same with Rodril. ^^;
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 May 2019, 16:01

Chokk wrote:Hello everyone,

First of all I will make it short, but deep : "Wohaa!" and "Thank you". It is really an amazing work and I really enjoy it so far.

I had some issues during the installation that I wanted to share if any new contender comes and faces the same, because I didn't find the solution anywhere :
During my first try, the quests weren't working and some houses were all shuffled.
My problem was that my MM8 GOG game was in French. I had to turn it in English then copy the Merge files, and eventually apply de location files (I give up on that because the quest item names are all shuffles in French, I'll try to help on that if I manage to understand how to do so).

And some few bugs on my bug tracker so far :

######### MAJOR BUG ############################
- Sometimes when I get inside a house, I crash with the following console :
Seems to happen only in teachers house, and maybe only after I just train levels and spend skill points.

Code: Select all

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307: attempt to index a nil value

stack traceback:
	... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307: in function <... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307':
	d = (table: 0x1dcd7ac0)

local variables of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307':
	(*temporary) = nil
	(*temporary) = 4918987
	(*temporary) = "attempt to index a nil value"

upvalues of '... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\RemoveNPCTablesLimits.lua:307':
	TeacherTopics = (table: 0x05526050)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
######### MINOR BUG #############################
- In the temple of the Snake, missing texture in x-1155;y1408, it blocks the way but you can finish the dungeon with the secret passage behind the gold dragon.
- Talking to Obelisk (at least in Sorpigal Volcano) opens a dialog with a guard. I get the hint nevertheless.
- Gatekeeper NPC doesn't work, the spell is not cast when asked. Maybe it is intended.
- You can only save/reload for one shop per region to get the spell/item you want. It seems that they are somehow all linked now and when the rolling is made for one shop, it's made for every shop in the region.

######### CAN WE REALLY CALL IT A BUG ? #########
- Everyone in Enroth keeps talking about a spell called Dark Emprisonment. Sounds great but I can't get it ;)
- Master Water dialog in Enroth says I will be able to use Lloyd' Reacon. Lier ! I have to be Grand Master !

Now I go off grid for a month but I can't wait to resume my adventure.
Congrats to Rodril and the contributors. :tsup: :applause: :tsup: :applause:

PS : Lich dragon ? Really ? What a weird thing :D
Added to the Bug Tracker.
Dark Imprisonment might be eventually implemented, there is quite a few spells missing from MM6+7 (half of them useful, half of them could be possibly thrown away). Monsters that used Finger of Death are pushovers now.
The shop thing is probably not a bug, Rodril redefined how shop inventory is generated.

Check the official Tracker for the merge, there is A LOT OF INFORMATION THERE.

About the Lich Dragon - with the Character Creation Unlocker and Racial Skills Modification (check the tracker) you can make any combination of race and class on any continent. That means that you can create a Dragon Necromancer or Dragon Sorcerer. Which means upon Lich promotion, you got yourself a Dragon Lich, but without a proper sprite.
An oversight exists in vanilla MM7 where you can make a Dwarf Lich, but since no Dwarf Lich sprites exist, they gain height. :D
There are currently two people working on a Dragon Lich sprites, portrait animations included (excluding me) and one person is working on a Minotaur Lich. Dwarf Lich has already been created by Jamesx to fix that vanilla oversight.

Anyway, a Dragon Lich is only something that you will get if you explicitly want to have it (without the unlocker and specifically choosing to do so, you won't ever see it. This is for people that really like diversity in their games, which does include mine. I love making insane combinations! I mean I could play as a party of 5 identical human knights each using the same equipment, but... I choose the other extreme of that!).
Rodril wrote:zombification implemented. Variations of zombie - not and i would not do it as it was not present in original MM7. Also i don't remember any drako-lich from MM lore, though it more depends on existance of such portraits for game engine. I would use it for zombie form of dragon.
&@All
I really love that I was told that nobody would be interested in for example various additional Lich variations (and zombie ones, and vampire ones,...) by Rodril, and yet now we have whole thread pages filled with people that are interested in it and aren't me! :P :D :D :D

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 30 May 2019, 16:28

Templayer wrote: Anyway, a Dragon Lich is only something that you will get if you explicitly want to have it (without the unlocker and specifically choosing to do so, you won't ever see it. This is for people that really like diversity in their games, which does include mine. I love making insane combinations! I mean I could play as a party of 5 identical human knights each using the same equipment, but... I choose the other extreme of that!).

&@All
I really love that I was told that nobody would be interested in for example various additional Lich variations (and zombie ones, and vampire ones,...) by Rodril, and yet now we have whole thread pages filled with people that are interested in it and aren't me! :P :D :D :D
Like me and hey, since MM games are based on Wizardry games and these being based on D&D games, which has skeletal Minotaurs and Dracoliches, then why the hell not (even if back then, beings like Dragotha were called 'Undead Dragon' instead. :D :D). Heck, such combinations would make single-class parties even more insane, since well, at least we won't be stuck having people Liches all the time, ha ha ha ha ha!! :D :D Gotta have some diversity, even if it might not be seen at all in 'usual' game, heck one of my ideas when I was little was a monster sprite for a Dragon that is basically Gold Dragon, but it's having orange belly and a wing membrane ... and would act as a questgiver as well as being able to be chatted with like you'd chat with a Peasant unless you attack it ... in MM6. :D
Yes?

Return to “Might and Magic”