Mighty Moos, how do they work?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Alure155
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Mighty Moos, how do they work?

Unread postby Alure155 » 29 Apr 2019, 00:46

As we all know, Mighty Gorgons of the Fortress have a special ability called "Death Stare" which, when triggered, can kill a certain amount of units in an enemy stack. The H3 Wiki says that "Every gorgon in the stack has 10% chance to cause death stare", and that the total number of units Death Stared cannot exceed 1/10 of the number of Mighty Gorgons in the stack, rounded up. I took this to mean that 10 Mighty Moos will essentially always death stare 1 creature in a stack.

I know that probabilities normally don't add up that way, but H3 usually just adds on the numbers when calculating boosts instead of doing it the "proper way". So, for instance, a Hero with Necromancy of 30% who gets the Cloak of the Undead King would get his Necro skill boosted by another 30%. With the "Proper" way, this would mean that the Hero would have a 30% of 30% boost and now have 40% Necromancy, but we all know that, with the way HoMM3 adds on percentages, the Hero would actually have 60% Necro.

I figured that it worked the same way when calculating the chance of a stack of Mighty Gorgons using Death Stare, such that 1 MG has a 10% chance to DS a stack, 2 MGs have a 20% chance to Death Stare, etc etc.

On another forum, this was essentially summarized by another user thusly:
1 Mighty Gorgon has 10 percent chance to kill with Deathstare
2 Mighty Gorgons have 20 percent chance to instant-kill
5 Mighty Gorgons have 50 percent chance to instant-kill
10 Mighty Gorgons have 100% chance to instant-kill 1 unit
11 Mighty Gorgons will instantly kill 1 unit, and have a 10% chance to kill a 2nd unit as well.
15 Mighty Gorgons will instantly kill 1 unit, and have a 50% chance of killing a 2nd unit
30 Mighty Gorgons will instantly kill 3 units.
But apparently, as said by another user on that same forum, that is wrong. So my question is: How does the Mighty Gorgon's death stare work? What's the probability of a stack of a certain amount of MGs killing a certain amount of units through Death Stare? Suppose, for instance, that I have a stack of 13 MGs. What would be the probability of DSing 1 unit, and what would be the probability of DSing 2 units, etc?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Mighty Moos, how do they work?

Unread postby Pol » 29 Apr 2019, 07:52

Death Stare. That was discussed, mighty twenty years ago. :D

But I cannot seem to find the original calculation and explanation, which had come from Qurqirish Dragon, probably because his pages are down for some time. I noticed Death Stare summarized here and here only.
Last edited by Pol on 29 Apr 2019, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”