Hardest game you have ever played

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 08 May 2006, 08:54

The demo version of one of the Tomb Raider Games. Stupid Lara was trapped in a stupid cage and I never figured out how to get her out of there :disagree:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 08 May 2006, 11:02

Campaigner wrote:I played Probotector II with a pal though and we made it to the 5th boss (secondlast lvl)

Died and never retried cause it's boring and hard.
Me and my brother beat Probotector :proud:
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 08 May 2006, 17:58

The hardest game I ever played, relative to the time it was played, was Phantasy Star II for the Genesis, with no hint book.

The mazes and maps were so large and had so many twists and turns in some of them, that just getting past one of them could be enough to make you quit.

I know. I did.

Twice.

Then I got the hint book, and even with it, the dungeons were hard to navigate sometimes.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 08 May 2006, 18:02

To think that we used to draw our own maps and write down notes in the old RPGs... Journals and automaps are such convenient tools.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 11 May 2006, 01:56

3 games I recall as being so difficult I gave up: System Shock 2, Wizardry 8, and Arx Fatalis.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 13 May 2006, 18:11

Ironically, I did exactly that (write notes and make maps) for Might and Magic on the Genesis. It was actually part 3 I believe, where you meet the ghost of Corak in the beginning.

That game was decently hard, fun, but at that time in my gaming life I was quite the upset about the end of it..... "a spaceship?" my brother and I exclaimed to each other.

Fun times

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 15 May 2006, 16:46

MM I... you need endless patience to beat that one :S

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 15 May 2006, 17:24

Angelspit wrote:To think that we used to draw our own maps and write down notes in the old RPGs... Journals and automaps are such convenient tools.
yes,but...i still have maps and potions recepies for ishar 1&2 somewhere,and my friend have maps for lords of midnight and doomdark's revenge that are bigger then regular dinner table and have list of what character can regrute which other characters...so map drawing have some charms.

ah,sweet memories
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 16 May 2006, 16:55

Angelspit wrote:To think that we used to draw our own maps and write down notes in the old RPGs... Journals and automaps are such convenient tools.
Orc? Ogre? What's the difference?

I'm trying to remember what was the first RPG with an automap. Could it have been Pool of Radiance (gold box)?

I like games where as you gain levels in mapping, you get to see more details on the automap, such as items or monsters behind walls.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 May 2006, 17:33

Orc are smaller, weaker but smarter. The ogres is dumber, stronger, taller.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 18:53

Caradoc wrote:
Orc? Ogre? What's the difference?
Ogre = eats people whole.
Orc = eats people piece by piece.
Caradoc wrote: I like games where as you gain levels in mapping, you get to see more details on the automap, such as items or monsters behind walls.
How would knowing to make maps give you Radar Sense?! Such an ability should be called Spacial Awarness or something.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 May 2006, 20:13

Caradoc wrote:I'm trying to remember what was the first RPG with an automap. Could it have been Pool of Radiance (gold box)?
I recall someone saying it was actually a MM game. No idea if it's true, I was to young to play that kind of game at the time.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 May 2006, 20:55

Being able to draw a map in the middle of a dungeong somehow feels like cheating.I usually annoy my players(in pnp RPG) by allowing them to draw maps only if they buy ink and paper before(not in futuristic games with gps and stuff,though).I once even told them that they have to hold the paper up when they drew a map :devious: :devil: They didnt ask for a map long time after that. :devious:

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 17 May 2006, 02:03

I -BELIEVE- that the first automap was actually used in MM3... I know that the Genesis version had a very nice one... well, nice considering the time it was released. =)

MM3 was pushed out back in what, 1993?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 23 May 2006, 16:57

Vision wrote:I -BELIEVE- that the first automap was actually used in MM3... I know that the Genesis version had a very nice one... well, nice considering the time it was released. =)

MM3 was pushed out back in what, 1993?
First automap was in Might and Magic II : Gates to another World. That was the one on genesis by the way, and not MM3 ;)

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 15 Jun 2006, 19:51

I am adventure games handicapped :D, so the hardest games for me always happen to be adventures.. I spent hours on Myst's first island and couldn't get out... Damn, I couldn't even finish Full Throttle by myself (got help from a friend in the very last puzzle)..

Tessera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tessera » 16 Jun 2006, 00:45

Myst when it first came out confused me for weeks, especially the subway setup. After that, I'd have to say Twisted Metal Black for the PS2, the controls got the better of me each time. I solved both, but they both burned my brain many times.

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 16 Jun 2006, 02:00

Yes twisted metal is painfully hard...
BUT, the hardest game I ever played was Moto GT 2 (or something like that). It was a bike racing game, but it was just soooooo hard to turn with that thing...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 16 Jun 2006, 12:31

Hardest games I finished were Eye of the Beholder and Eye of the Beholder 2. A mulit party RPG with real time combat in a enclosed maze. You’re trying to fight off the opponents in front of you while your back row is pummeled by something attacking from the rear. It permanently turn me off the real time RRGs and RTSs. :mad:

Too tough to finish games too many to name and fortunately I’ve finally managed to forget them. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 19 Jun 2006, 03:10

F-Zero X on master mode. Flying at +1000 kmh is crazy enough, but add in fiercly competitive apponents just makes things all the more interesting.

The beauty of this game is that it actually feels as though you are moving at that speed, I wonder for sure. Btu likely not many of the RoundTable members have an N64.
Hell has frozen over...

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”