Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Mozaki
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 16.03.2019]

Unread postby Mozaki » 17 Mar 2019, 21:32

Templayer wrote:So I skimmed over the programming.

DO NOT READ further if you do not wish to know where the hidden dimension door places are (mapwise). Except for the three given by Rodril.

I wish there was a spoiler block like in pretty much every other forum I have ever been to. Anyway...

SPOILER!

Murmurwoods; Evenmorn; Dragonsand

If you wish to cast Town Portal without having the spell learned or a scroll (for example to play the starting locations in tandem), open up the console (CTRL+F1) and type in:
CastSpellScroll(31)
then mash CTRL+ENTER
(if you do that in the secret places, it will get transmuted into Dimension Door)

Or if you wish to cast the Dimension Door anywhere, type in:

Code: Select all

TownPortalControls.GenDimDoor()
	TownPortalControls.SwitchTo(4)
	Game.GlobalTxt[10] = " "
	ExitCurrentScreen(false, true)
	CastSpellDirect(31, 10, 4)
	Mouse.Item.Number = 0
	Timer(TownPortalControls.RevertTPSwitch, const.Minute, false)
then mash CTRL+ENTER

SPOILER END!

Added to the Tracker (one with the SPOILER prefix, other with CHEATS) inside Tutorials.

@Rodril -
The way you check for some of those is genius. (on tile sound event (which usually creates the stepping sound), check if in certain place, if yes, enable Town Portal transformation into Dimension Door!) :D :D :D

These places are not really... secret :p

"V" is already telling us these 3 places ;-)
We just need to go there and find the "irregular" thing ;-)

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 18 Mar 2019, 00:31

This may have been reported, but there is a bug at silver cove in the silver helm stronghold, the Ankn Quest. the spirit does not appear on the wall to give the quest. Therefore the quest can not be done.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 18 Mar 2019, 01:18

Once you travel two all three continents and you have the Lloyd'd Beacon, just place a beacon on all three them and there you are. Fast travel to all three continents from any where in the game.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Mar 2019, 09:21

DaveHer wrote:Once you travel two all three continents and you have the Lloyd'd Beacon, just place a beacon on all three them and there you are. Fast travel to all three continents from any where in the game.
Yes, of course. But as has been said numerous times, some people wish to play sections in tandem, and you won't be able to play the starting locations in tandem, since you won't have Town Gate (unless you are lucky and get a scroll). I.e. using the pathways to travel late-game or post-game is not the issue here.
Mozaki wrote:
Templayer wrote: SPOILER!

You mean what I have been saying all along? That they really aren't secret?
Anyway, if somebody hasn't met V, he won't know about them.

Also even through I have never used LUA before, coding it so that the dimension door gets triggered immediately upon arriving at a place "with a strange presence" or clicking on a sprite seems to be trivial. I can make a "mod" to the merge that will do that. (however it will be easily breakable with new versions). If someone wants me to.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 18 Mar 2019, 11:10

Templayer wrote:
DaveHer wrote:Once you travel two all three continents and you have the Lloyd'd Beacon, just place a beacon on all three them and there you are. Fast travel to all three continents from any where in the game.
Yes, of course. But as has been said numerous times, some people wish to play sections in tandem, and you won't be able to play the starting locations in tandem, since you won't have Town Gate (unless you are lucky and get a scroll). I.e. using the pathways to travel late-game or post-game is not the issue here.
Mozaki wrote:
Templayer wrote: SPOILER!

You mean what I have been saying all along? That they really aren't secret?
Anyway, if somebody hasn't met V, he won't know about them.

Also even through I have never used LUA before, coding it so that the dimension door gets triggered immediately upon arriving at a place "with a strange presence" or clicking on a sprite seems to be trivial. I can make a "mod" to the merge that will do that. (however it will be easily breakable with new versions). If someone wants me to.
I know that it was not the issue. I just put that info there for people that had not thought of it. Thats all. I always wanted to make a mod for these games but could not figure out how to do so. I made a mod for Morrwind with new meshes and two quests ( Meshes done with blender). With TextEditor, MMArchive and the MMExtension2.2 I have made progress towards that end. I have made many changes to MM6-8 for my own personal use using the tables (created by MMExt.) and MMArchive to extract Text files from Lod. files and edit them. There were two things I did not like about all three games, reagents (weak stopped using them) boat and stable Schedules (most of the time you got "Come back another day"). After a while I stopped checking and just walk on over to the next town. I changed all that. Reagents are stronger now (MM7 & MM8). Travel is available almost every day. I made many other changes but I have not been able to figure out how to merge two games.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Mar 2019, 14:07

DaveHer wrote: I know that it was not the issue. I just put that info there for people that had not thought of it. Thats all. I always wanted to make a mod for these games but could not figure out how to do so. I made a mod for Morrwind with new meshes and two quests ( Meshes done with blender). With TextEditor, MMArchive and the MMExtension2.2 I have made progress towards that end. I have made many changes to MM6-8 for my own personal use using the tables (created by MMExt.) and MMArchive to extract Text files from Lod. files and edit them. There were two things I did not like about all three games, reagents (weak stopped using them) boat and stable Schedules (most of the time you got "Come back another day"). After a while I stopped checking and just walk on over to the next town. I changed all that. Reagents are stronger now (MM7 & MM8). Travel is available almost every day. I made many other changes but I have not been able to figure out how to merge two games.
Actually I would like both of those changes, since as you have said, stable schedules usually just tell you to come back another day until you have the schedule list at hand, and potions are useless mid to late game for me. (I tend to get black potion permabuffs really early on!)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 18 Mar 2019, 14:24

I think we're straying too much from the original vision and cluttering the thread by talking about all these gameplay-altering mods. Those should be kept optional. Right now I think the priority should be further content integration, though I know that doing repaints can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Still, cloaks, belts and helms shouldn't be too hard to get done I think (and in that order of difficulty). Wish I could help with that too, but I'm not really confident in my graphical editing skills.
Last edited by Xfing on 18 Mar 2019, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 18 Mar 2019, 15:29

Hey all, thanks for the great work on the project. Makes the yearly M&M playthroughs much more interesting!

I've been having some trouble getting into Stone City. After loading the map it gives a view down the hall then crashes when any input is given. I downloaded the main files a month ago and was patching them up when I hit the issue a week or so back (don't have that save anymore). I saw there was a new script to try and that hasn't done it for me either, so I downloaded everything from scratch today (from MEGA) and got to that point with a M&M6 group and still have the crash. Here is my save: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6yk4jrv ... e.zip/file

Thanks for the help and the mod!

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 18 Mar 2019, 16:04

Xfing wrote:I think we're straying too much from the original vision and cluttering the thread by talking about all these gameplay-altering mods. Those should be kept optional. Right now I think the priority should be further content integration, though I know that doing repaints can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Still, cloaks, belts and helms shouldn't be too hard to get done I think (and in that order of difficulty). Wish I could help with that too, but I'm not really confident in my graphical editing skills.
It only took me about 15 minutes to make the changes. So it is not going to take away from developing the mod farther and it really needs these changes otherwise why have boat, stables and Reagents.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Mar 2019, 16:54

DaveHer wrote:
Xfing wrote:I think we're straying too much from the original vision and cluttering the thread by talking about all these gameplay-altering mods. Those should be kept optional. Right now I think the priority should be further content integration, though I know that doing repaints can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Still, cloaks, belts and helms shouldn't be too hard to get done I think (and in that order of difficulty). Wish I could help with that too, but I'm not really confident in my graphical editing skills.
It only took me about 15 minutes to make the changes. So it is not going to take away from developing the mod farther and it really needs these changes otherwise why have boat, stables and Reagents.
Don't mind Xfing, he tends to be illogical.

He himself "cluttered" (using his own words, not mine) the "original vision" by adding item subtiers and a lot of new potions (both of which I like, but they are quite far from the vanilla), but when someone else wants to make changes (optional ones, mind you), it is wrong in his eyes. I do not know why. If you do that for the merge, be sure to tell me, I will add it to the Optional Mods section.

@Xfing
"Those should be kept optional." - And they are not? I have a whole section on the Tracker for optional mods such as these! Nobody thinks those should be hardcoded into the merge! Use your head! :creative: You are not in such a standing to be dictating what aspects of the Merge we are supposed to be discussing, and which are we forbidden from discussing. If we are only supposed to discuss further content integration, which is pretty much only repaints now, then this thread would lie silent for the next century.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Mar 2019, 17:00

Kaikhorus wrote:Hey all, thanks for the great work on the project. Makes the yearly M&M playthroughs much more interesting!

I've been having some trouble getting into Stone City. After loading the map it gives a view down the hall then crashes when any input is given. I downloaded the main files a month ago and was patching them up when I hit the issue a week or so back (don't have that save anymore). I saw there was a new script to try and that hasn't done it for me either, so I downloaded everything from scratch today (from MEGA) and got to that point with a M&M6 group and still have the crash. Here is my save: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6yk4jrv ... e.zip/file

Thanks for the help and the mod!
Welcome, enjoy your stay! Added to the Bug Tracker.

You mentioned a script that you have tried - was that the one from the previous page on the thread, directly for that problem?
Also I remember someone saying something about changing the rendering method helping, check the previous two pages of the thread if you want to solve it quick (if it works)!
Last edited by Templayer on 18 Mar 2019, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 18 Mar 2019, 17:25

Templayer wrote:
DaveHer wrote:
Don't mind Xfing, he tends to be illogical.

He himself "cluttered" (using his own words, not mine) the "original vision" by adding item subtiers and a lot of new potions (both of which I like, but they are quite far from the vanilla), but when someone else wants to make changes (optional ones, mind you), it is wrong in his eyes. I do not know why. If you do that for the merge, be sure to tell me, I will add it to the Optional Mods section.

@Xfing
"Those should be kept optional." - And they are not? I have a whole section on the Tracker for optional mods such as these! Nobody thinks those should be hardcoded into the merge! Use your head! :creative: You are not in such a standing to be dictating what aspects of the Merge we are supposed to be discussing, and which are we forbidden from discussing. If we are only supposed to discuss further content integration, which is pretty much only repaints now, then this thread would lie silent for the next century.
Yes I made this changes to the merge for my personal use. You might want to add it to the list.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 18 Mar 2019, 18:09

Templayer wrote: @Xfing
Oh come on... if it were up to you, this mod would have dracoliches and light elves using dark elf ability. You do need someone to balance you out :D

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 19 Mar 2019, 01:24

Templayer wrote: Welcome, enjoy your stay! Added to the Bug Tracker.

You mentioned a script that you have tried - was that the one from the previous page on the thread, directly for that problem?
Also I remember someone saying something about changing the rendering method helping, check the previous two pages of the thread if you want to solve it quick (if it works)!
Thanks! :) Yes, that specific script Rodril posted on page 98 didn't fix it for me. I've tried entering Stone City using software rendering, the standard hardware renderer and dgVoodoo all with the same crash. I think I'll go back to Enroth and try my luck later :)

As a side note, can Enroth starting characters get promotions from Antagrich eg. Great Druid promoted by Loretta Fleise to Warlock promoted in Nighon? Or once you've started a promotion line is that the one you have to follow? Sorry if this has been answered before!

Mozaki
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mozaki » 19 Mar 2019, 05:35

Kaikhorus wrote:
As a side note, can Enroth starting characters get promotions from Antagrich eg. Great Druid promoted by Loretta Fleise to Warlock promoted in Nighon? Or once you've started a promotion line is that the one you have to follow? Sorry if this has been answered before!

Yes can change the line of promotion. I did the first promotion of my archer in Enroth and did the second one around Tularean Forest (Don't remember if that was here exacly loll).

I also think (need to test this) that you can get your second promotion and then change it to Another second one. Beware, I did not tested this so I'm not 100% sure of it. ;-)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 19 Mar 2019, 06:34

Xfing wrote:
Templayer wrote: @Xfing
Oh come on... if it were up to you, this mod would have dracoliches and light elves using dark elf ability. You do need someone to balance you out :D
We can already make dracoliches by having the dragon race with the necromancer class, they are just missing a paperdoll graphic for a Lich version.

And pretty much half of the Dark Elf Ability spellbook isn't that specific to the Dark Elves. I mean "Charm"?
@Others my idea was to rename it to Fey Abilities and make other races (like Elves) make use of a part of it.
Last edited by Templayer on 19 Mar 2019, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 19 Mar 2019, 23:18

Kaikhorus wrote:
Templayer wrote: Welcome, enjoy your stay! Added to the Bug Tracker.

Thanks! :) Yes, that specific script Rodril posted on page 98 didn't fix it for me. I've tried entering Stone City using software rendering, the standard hardware renderer and dgVoodoo all with the same crash. I think I'll go back to Enroth and try my luck later :)

The dgVoodoo does not work unless you launch the game with the setup that comes with MM8.

Jaojin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jaojin » 20 Mar 2019, 01:46

Got a few bug fixes for you
1. The texture for the 'temple door', specifically in Emerald Isle, seems to be off-center... as if the doors were flipped (L and R) causing the unseen grey border of the texture to be the center.
2. Serendine's Preservation (MM8 Artifact Leather Armor) is listed as type: Leather Armor, rather than type: Artifact (most notable when looting it).
3. Ullyses (MM7 Artifact Bow) does not use the ice bolt animation for it's projectiles as it originally did in MM7.
4. Hobgoblin Guards in Northwest Moulder/Deyja hostile again. I believe that Greyface's patch fixed that issue, something else broke?

Questionable
5. Ghost ring has some interesting effects not in the original game and not listed anywhere I can find. It provides twice the effect "of Spirit Magic" (meaning it doubles your spirit magic rather than giving you a 50% bonus) and it provides constant Preservation (which feels like it is intended). Not a bad change (especially the preservation effect) but the double spirit magic may be a touch too much.

Love the mod! It has been a breath of fresh air. Keep up the fantastic work!

NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NotABroom » 20 Mar 2019, 14:56

Seeing the MM6 interface in MM8 makes me realise, that I actually don't really like the MM8 UI, simply because it is too dark. This makes the game look a lot friendlier IMO. Awesome work there, some changes turn out to have unexpected effects.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 20 Mar 2019, 15:07

Jaojin wrote:grey border of the texture to be the center.
2. Serendine's Preservation (MM8 Artifact Leather Armor) is listed as type: Leather Armor, rather than type: Artifact (most notable when looting it).
That's the case for all MM8 artifacts and relics. They are categorised according to their item class in the original MM8 and it wasn't changed for the merge. Perhaps it should be changed for the sake of cohesion?

Return to “Might and Magic”