Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 24.02.2019]

Unread postby Xfing » 28 Feb 2019, 00:38

I don't think Rodril will be up for making significant balance changes. He wouldn't even reduce Master Leather for Knights to Expert like it was done in MM8 :D

I do agree that it feels somewhat unrewarding to play a druid because of their lack of GM though. Still, you don't need an "official" approval of any sort to make the class so - all you need to do is edit the skill file if you've got MMExtension and play a personalized version of the game's balance. Here's my thread where I've got one such file:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/14845

As for the different inventories demonstration GIF - I'm going to make another one tomorrow and put it up on some image hosting website. Implementation of these and the mechanic for toggling them would have to be discussed more thoroughly though :P

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 28 Feb 2019, 17:02

Ok, never mind, I actually downloaded that thing the first time around! So here it is:

The buttons are just an interface example. They could be put on the upper bar while at the Adventurer's Inn, or discarded altogether, but it would be nice to be able to customize every character like above.

While it's not my first choice, we could also go the static way and assign one type of inventory/equipment panels depending on interface (if we import that beautiful MM6 interface Vinevi made), having it change automatically when moving through continents or just being toggleable from the menu for a more permanent option. Assigning inventory grid colors to certain types of classes in a hardcoded manner is also an option.

But yeah, optimally I'd like to have the ability to set up each character's inventory grid background + equipment slots separately and independently, as demonstrated above. Regardless of interface too. What do you think? :D
Last edited by Xfing on 28 Feb 2019, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 28 Feb 2019, 17:52

Xfing wrote:Ok, never mind, I actually downloaded that thing the first time around! So here it is:

The buttons are just an interface example. They could be put on the upper bar while at the Adventurer's Inn, or discarded altogether, but it would be nice to be able to customize every character like above.

While it's not my first choice, we could also go the static way and assign one type of inventory/equipment panels depending on interface (if we import that beautiful MM6 interface Vinevi made), having it change automatically when moving through continents or just being toggleable from the menu for a more permanent option. Assigning inventory grid colors to certain types of classes in a hardcoded manner is also an option.

But yeah, optimally I'd like to have the ability to set up each character's inventory grid background + equipment slots separately and independently, as demonstrated above. Regardless of interface too. What do you think? :D

I think you should get some free cloud space. Mega gives you 50 GBs for free. Ulozto has unlimited space without registering (20 GB limit per file though if using the manager (I'm using it anonymously!), 2 GB if through browser).
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 28 Feb 2019, 18:26

It's still displaying for me though, in different browsers too... Postimage is a pretty reliable image hosting site you know!

Check out the link directly: https://i.postimg.cc/hGK4gGnB/Webp-net-gifmaker.gif

I put it up on my Dropbox, but Dropbox allows neither embedding, nor previewing, so it sux. But yeah, here it is if you'd like to download it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5clf0ekwnsr1 ... r.gif?dl=0
Last edited by Xfing on 28 Feb 2019, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 28 Feb 2019, 19:04

Xfing wrote:It's still displaying for me though, in different browsers too... Postimage is a pretty reliable image hosting site you know!

Check out the link directly: https://i.postimg.cc/hGK4gGnB/Webp-net-gifmaker.gif

I put it up on my Dropbox, but Dropbox allows neither embedding, nor previewing, so it sux. But yeah, here it is if you'd like to download it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5clf0ekwnsr1 ... r.gif?dl=0
Checking out the link directly worked.

Quite nice. Still, some text explaining what those arrows are for being near them would be useful. Like "inventory colour".
Also, it's missing pink. Add all the colours of a rainbow! :D :D

Yeah, I'm not against that. Feel free to add it to the Suggestion tracker. You can use the suggest edit mode to do that. You can even put the animated gif there and it is going to work (animated smileys from this forum can be copypasted, so I am pretty sure so can the gif you made as well). I will then just push the apply suggested edit button. :)
Just take care not to screw up the formatting. There are actually "magical tabs" at the end of sections (hidden symbols that actually take the length of a tab) so just make sure you put it in between the last entry and the hidden symbol.
Delegation for the win! :-D :D :D

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 28 Feb 2019, 19:54

Templayer wrote: Quite nice. Still, some text explaining what those arrows are for being near them would be useful. Like "inventory colour".
The arrows are just an idea, they don't have to be in that place in particular, or there at all. That's why I was hoping you'd help me come up with a way that would make everyone happy. As for the tracker, I really don't feel like doing this right now. Took me like an hour to make the damn gif itself you know xd

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 28 Feb 2019, 20:38

Xfing wrote:
Templayer wrote: Quite nice. Still, some text explaining what those arrows are for being near them would be useful. Like "inventory colour".
The arrows are just an idea, they don't have to be in that place in particular, or there at all. That's why I was hoping you'd help me come up with a way that would make everyone happy. As for the tracker, I really don't feel like doing this right now. Took me like an hour to make the damn gif itself you know xd
Very well, you've asked and I shall oblige.

Translation: Here's my idea. :D

Edit in case Rodril sees it: It's for adventurer's inn only.

Last edited by Templayer on 28 Feb 2019, 20:42, edited 2 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 28 Feb 2019, 20:48

I think something like this would look great and I really like it. The fact that it's for the Adventurer's Inn only also reduces the problem of interface clutter that Rodril mentioned :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 01 Mar 2019, 12:17

This is not from the merge, but from vanilla MM6. Still, I find it funny: There is a well that spawns a few drakes in Kriegspire. It can be used repeatedly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvXeFgREoIU (not monetized, BTW)

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 02 Mar 2019, 00:19

majaczek wrote:Maybe additional promotion for Druid classes?
Druid is relatively weak class, the most interesting part of it is Grandmaster Alchemy, but even after advance he can't do Grandmaster any of magic :(
Yeah, you'd think they'd be able to GM the Elemental skills (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) at least, since Druids are linked with Nature. They did originally intend for there to be a Druid class in M&M8, and the Druid's Circlet within the Circle of Stone in Murmurwoods was to be associated with the promotion quest for them.
Last edited by Daedros on 02 Mar 2019, 00:21, edited 2 times in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 02 Mar 2019, 05:07

@Templayer - Doesn't that well in Kriegspire actually do something good though? Like +30 level temporary or something.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 02 Mar 2019, 09:20

Anubis wrote:@Templayer - Doesn't that well in Kriegspire actually do something good though? Like +30 level temporary or something.
Yes, but only once per character. You can still spam it afterwards for more drakes to spawn, at least in my version. ^_^
Which can lead to hilarious results, as seen in the video.
Last edited by Templayer on 02 Mar 2019, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 02 Mar 2019, 09:26

Daedros wrote:
majaczek wrote:Maybe additional promotion for Druid classes?
Druid is relatively weak class, the most interesting part of it is Grandmaster Alchemy, but even after advance he can't do Grandmaster any of magic :(
Yeah, you'd think they'd be able to GM the Elemental skills (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) at least, since Druids are linked with Nature. They did originally intend for there to be a Druid class in M&M8, and the Druid's Circlet within the Circle of Stone in Murmurwoods was to be associated with the promotion quest for them.
They originally intended for all the classes of MM7 to return, not just druid. They only had a handful of classes (Knight for example) finished, and the job of connecting the Jadamean races to the MM7 classes proved too time-consuming, something which they didn't have. Thus we got the half-baked system of MM8 where races and classes are put into a blender.

Rodril implemented racial skills though, so now you can freely combine those. The vanilla version of the implementation only has axes if I remember correctly. If you use my table from the tracker though, you can for example create a Vampire Cleric, which will then have the Vampire Ability skill, even though its class isn't Vampire (it's Cleric and Clerics normally do not get Vampire abilities... unless their race is a Vampire too. I.e. most probably the system the MM8 dev team wanted to have in some shape or form)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 02 Mar 2019, 10:31

I think the racial skills system could be improved, so that race grants you a skill up to a certain level, or a bonus to another skill. For example Clerics are prohibited from using bladed weapons so they shouldn't get GM Axe by default if they're Dwarves. I suggest something like, say:

Vampires:
- Vampire Ability up to Grand at the highest promotion
- Knights get a little bit of mana, comparable to Thieves, so they can use Vampire Ability
- Dagger skill boosted 1 rank compared to baseline class
- ID Monster skill upped 1 class compared to baseline class
- Regeneration up to Expert and upon final promotion, Master
- Mind immune
- Body Building decreased one level

Dark Elves:
- Dark Elf Ability up to Grand
- Mana for Knights in the same fashion
- +1 available mastery rank compared to baseline class in: Bow, Chainmail, Disarm, Merchant

Etc etc. I could come up with all such racial perks for every race, that's what I do after all :D
Last edited by Xfing on 02 Mar 2019, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 02 Mar 2019, 12:09

Xfing wrote:I think the racial skills system could be improved, so that race grants you a skill up to a certain level, or a bonus to another skill. For example Clerics are prohibited from using bladed weapons so they shouldn't get GM Axe by default if they're Dwarves. I suggest something like, say:

Vampires:
- Vampire Ability up to Grand at the highest promotion
- Knights get a little bit of mana, comparable to Thieves, so they can use Vampire Ability
- Dagger skill boosted 1 rank compared to baseline class
- ID Monster skill upped 1 class compared to baseline class
- Regeneration up to Expert and upon final promotion, Master
- Mind immune

Dark Elves:
- Dark Elf Ability up to Grand
- Mana for Knights in the same fashion
- +1 available mastery rank compared to baseline class in: Bow, Chainmail, Disarm, Merchant

Etc etc. I could come up with all such racial perks for every race, that's what I do after all :D
Giving them mana is solved by giving them various levels of meditation with my version on the tracker.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 02 Mar 2019, 13:38

Meditation is based on every class' base mana value and per-level mana gain, so knights will always have zero, regardless of meditation skill. If the skill were to bestow mana upon knights who normally have zero, that would require changing the game mechanics.

But yeah, now I'm thinking it would be only fair to have some races give negative bonuses to skill caps too, as well as positive ones - that way humans could probably just remain neutral.

majaczek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby majaczek » 02 Mar 2019, 16:10

I think Elves (the not dark ones) should be able to learn up to Master "Dark Elf" spells.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 02 Mar 2019, 16:34

majaczek wrote:I think Elves (the not dark ones) should be able to learn up to Master "Dark Elf" spells.
I have them on the modification tracker as having up to Expert of the "Fey Ability" (renamed Dark Elf Ability)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 02 Mar 2019, 19:17

I think that would be totally lore unfriendly, given how dark elves are very different from regular elves

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 02 Mar 2019, 21:19

Xfing wrote:I think that would be totally lore unfriendly, given how dark elves are very different from regular elves
And that is why the Dark Elf ability should be renamed to Fey ability.

Charm and Traveler's Boon should be available to both in my opinion.

But if you do not find both Elves and Dark Elves (magically) charming, then ... that is your perogative.

Return to “Might and Magic”