Buying a new laptop

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Buying a new laptop

Unread postby Banedon » 17 Jan 2019, 11:44

Quick update, new graphics cards are finally released and the reviews for the 2060 are really good. I'm greatly anticipating the 2060 laptops when they're finally released and will almost certainly buy one then!
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 20 Jan 2019, 12:10

My God, why are laptops with the new graphics cards so expensive?! Like, yeah the graphics cards themselves went up in price by a hundred dollars or so, but how can the price go up by ~50%?!
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Jan 2019, 21:35

Because they are RTX, kinda silly, but it's just marketing trick. They may drop, in theory, just pray to AMD to come with some competition. If they will not, they will drop just a little and you will need to wait more than a year.

In this case I recommend to watch serial Blackadder. It's from different times but it does touch these things. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 30 Jan 2019, 11:44

Lol yeah, I'm no hardware expert but I've read that the high end GPU market is Nvidia's stomping ground, which is why it's getting away with the high prices on the 20xx line. I really don't think I can afford to wait much longer though, lest this computer fail on me. On the other hand, because I procrastinated for a year, I think I can increase my budget on this. It also seems the new laptops didn't go up that much in price, thankfully.

So now it's basically the refurbished Acer computer from the last page (https://tinyurl.com/yaes56xs) against new ones (https://tinyurl.com/ycrfev7n) and (https://tinyurl.com/yd9fjnsm). One model has yet to be released so there've obviously been no reviews yet, while I can't find anything substantial on the second model. There are user reviews on Newegg, but they're inconsistent; I can't find this on Notebookreview as you recommended either. Are there any other review sites you'd trust?

Kind of a pity that Lenovo's apparently preparing a GTX 2060 laptop for under $1000, but it's scheduled for May at earliest, and I doubt I can wait that long.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 31 Jan 2019, 22:47

I would advise against going for the refurbished model now. If you expect your notebook to stay, at least for five years, then you should take a look for a new model. Morally staying.

And there I see your dilema. The one, which is available is just 15.6, is that enough for you?
(And it's also an old model, reviews are mixed, so no.)

Are you sure that you couldn't wait a bit longer? :P

Nothing from HP or Dell in you reach?
Last edited by Pol on 01 Feb 2019, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 01 Feb 2019, 09:35

15.6" is good enough for me (in fact I'd probably prefer this screen size since then I can guarantee I put it into my backpack). But! I've miscalculated substantially. I didn't know that those prices quoted are actually before shipping & various taxes, and with those factored in, the prices of all these laptops are actually well above my budget! Omg!

I feel really bad right now. I'll probably have to tone down my expectations and find a completely new set of candidate models ...

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 18 Feb 2019, 11:33

Epilogue: I bit the bullet and bought this laptop from Illegear for US$ 1678 (including postage):

15.6" FHD Anti-glare 144Hz IPS sRGB 100% Display featuring INFINIVISION Bezel-less Technology
Professional Color Calibration
8th Gen. Intel Core i7-8750H (Six Core, 9M Cache, 2.2GHz to 4.1GHz)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 with Optimus
Mechanical Keyboard v2 (2mm, Cap 2) by GENESWITCH Brown (Silent) featuring Per-key RGB and N-key Roll-over
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut & Burn-in Test - CPU & GPU
16GB DDR4 RAM - 1 X 16GB (FREE)
M.2 Solid State Drive: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 Solid State Drive
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 2x2 M.2 - WLAN & Bluetooth 5 Combo
Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-Bit Edition
ILLEGEAR Carry-in Warranty with 2 Year Parts and Labor & Lifetime Technical Support

They were having a promotion at the time and having followed the market for a while, I realized the value was unbeatable. The major worry was the warranty, since the coverage is only in Malaysia and I'm not in the country. However I confirmed with them that the warranty holds even if I have a third party open up the laptop, so if the laptop fails all I'll need to do is get it checked then pay for the mail. Not ideal, but with comparable laptops priced @ several hundred dollars more expensive than this it's a risk I'm willing to take. The price was just below the top range of my budget, thankfully. It's well above the $1250 price I quoted in the OP, but I did wait a year to buy it :D

Waiting with anticipation for it to arrive now!
Last edited by Banedon on 18 Feb 2019, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Campfire”