Help me with a Might & Magic RPG!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Vinicius_Zoio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Help me with a Might & Magic RPG!

Unread postby Vinicius_Zoio » 09 Jan 2019, 13:05

Hello there good fellows, nice to meet all of you Might & Magic enthusiasts! :)

I'm a long time Heroes of Might & Magic fan and avid roleplayer. Recently, I have been preparing a one-shot session set in Enroth, on Antagarich, to be more specific. Even though this is only to be a one-shot, I can't help but crave for greater information on the setting, so I can make the best possible adaptation of the material (and, perhaps, even use it later, for longer games).

As such, although the Heroes of Might & Magic games are awesome in their portrayal of the setting, there are still a lot of details you'll need to create a full-fledged RPG that I have not been able to deduce from that series alone. Thus, my next course of action was to search for such details in the Might & Magic series which, alas, I have never played.

After searching for the info I wanted, I've finally reached this site and an active community who might be able to help! :D

So, without further ado, here are my current questions about Might & Magic lore! ^^

---

Is there any Might & Magic "encyclopedia", "lore book", "narrative compilation" as pertaining to 3DO's original settings? If there is, this should greatly facilitate my work, instead of me pestering you here on the forums. I'm particularly interested in any information about races and cultures on Enroth (and Angatarich, specifically).

What are the religions of Enroth? I understand the setting's "fantasy sci-fi backstory" has significant impact on the events portrayed in the Might & Magic series (Ancients colonizing space, terraforming worlds, etc, etc), but I have found scarce information about religious belief systems in the Heroes of Might & Magic series. "Castle" factions throughout the series allude to the common imagery of christianity (crusaders, angels, monks), but little is told about characters beliefs in this regard. Can you tell me what are the main religions of Enroth? What about elven or dwarven religion? Do the genies have religion? Ogres? You can see where this is going! XD

Are dragons sentient in Might & Magic? I know Av'lee has a draconic "Queen of the Dragons" protector, but is she a sentient and communicative being? Do they have a language? Do they speak?

Where do genies come from? I aim to create a playable "genie" race - in liew of the Tower faction in Heroes of Might & Magic III, but I have basically zero details about their capabilities, inherent traits and history. I know Gacin Magnus has become ruler of Bracada through his alliance with Solmyr, a genie, but where to they come from? What kind of society do they have? Are they playable in any of the Might & Magic RPG games?

-

For now, these are foremost on my mind, but I'm sure a billion more questions will popup unless I find some kind of "lore repository" for the series! I don't even know if the Might & Magic series provide such info - I'm just assuming that as a more traditional RPG experience, the games might touch in such "lore related information" more deeply than the TBS Heroes series.

Thank you for your attention!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: Help me with a Might & Magic RPG!

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 09 Jan 2019, 14:53

Vinicius_Zoio wrote:Are dragons sentient in Might & Magic? I know Av'lee has a draconic "Queen of the Dragons" protector, but is she a sentient and communicative being? Do they have a language? Do they speak?
This, at least, is shown in MM8. Dragons are both party members and quest givers.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 09 Jan 2019, 17:44

Vinicius_Zoio wrote:Is there any Might & Magic "encyclopedia", "lore book", "narrative compilation" as pertaining to 3DO's original settings? If there is, this should greatly facilitate my work, instead of me pestering you here on the forums. I'm particularly interested in any information about races and cultures on Enroth (and Angatarich, specifically).
There isn't. However you have plenty of needed information on this particular (sub)forum.
Vinicius_Zoio wrote:What are the religions of Enroth? I understand the setting's "fantasy sci-fi backstory" has significant impact on the events portrayed in the Might & Magic series (Ancients colonizing space, terraforming worlds, etc, etc), but I have found scarce information about religious belief systems in the Heroes of Might & Magic series. "Castle" factions throughout the series allude to the common imagery of christianity (crusaders, angels, monks), but little is told about characters beliefs in this regard. Can you tell me what are the main religions of Enroth? What about elven or dwarven religion? Do the genies have religion? Ogres? You can see where this is going! XD
There isn't main religion and there (usually) aren't any gods in old universe. Whenever a "god" appeared it usually was a very powerful creature (Yak from MM5 - powerful lich for example) and not really a god, an Ancient or a ruse (Cult of Baa from MM6 for example). However there are some beings who could be some kind of gods (like Ancestors for Barbarians or Erebus for the Kreegan).
I think people on Enroth belive in concepts - like Light and Darkness (Temple of Light in Bracada and Temple of Darkness in Deyja).
There were also Church of Sun and Church of Moon but they were disbanded ca. 100 years before HoMM1-3/MM6-8 after war between them. There are some remnants of them here and there but overall both Churches no longer exist.
There is/was also Church of Stars but there is a very little information about it.
Vinicius_Zoio wrote:Where do genies come from? I aim to create a playable "genie" race - in liew of the Tower faction in Heroes of Might & Magic III, but I have basically zero details about their capabilities, inherent traits and history. I know Gacin Magnus has become ruler of Bracada through his alliance with Solmyr, a genie, but where to they come from? What kind of society do they have? Are they playable in any of the Might & Magic RPG games?
Genies are natives to Plane of Air. However, Fafner was turned into Genie via his (not so wise) wish. They are not playable unfortunately.
HoMM3 wrote:Genies and master genies are tower allies recruited from the realm of air magic
Last edited by Avonu on 09 Jan 2019, 17:54, edited 3 times in total.

Sslaxx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sslaxx » 09 Jan 2019, 19:35

If you're dealing with Enroth/Colony, then M&M 6/7/8 are the ones you'd need to take a look at. The 6-7-8 merge mod for 8 is a good way to play them, too.

Vinicius_Zoio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinicius_Zoio » 10 Jan 2019, 03:09

Aha! Thank you all for the quick replies! :)

Special thanks to Avonu for the direct answers! ^^

Return to “Might and Magic”