Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
fr3aksh0w
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Alchemy conundrum

Unread postby fr3aksh0w » 22 Oct 2018, 10:31

So black potions cant be mixed anywhere but in antagrich (druid promotions kills it in jadame and apparently lack of trainers kills it in enroth) i would like to suggest dumping the class restrictions of misc skills alltogether and revert to mm6 system for things such as perception and learning etc wherein you need like 50 intellect to progress in mastery (perception could be like 50 luck and 40 reaction or something). My argument for this is that you dont need to be a walking skeleton to go study in chemistry, a bit of brains will do (for example 50 intellect or heck a hundred). The reason I'm suggesting it is, that currently there is nothing technically preventing my party from gaining access to a gm in alchemy, it's just a million miles to walk and dozens of hoops to jump. Ergo a major ulcer pain in the ass. I'd like to enjoy the game with less ulcerations in said ass. Fruit for thought.

In the meantime could someone tell me how to make my lich gm in alchemy via editing or whatever? Much appreciated :)

Edit: Maybe you forgot how some skills worked in mm6 so here's some background information:
Skills like meditation and bodybuilding could be mastered by almost all classes, sure... But their effects were varied. E.g. Meditation would increase mana pool of casting classes but would have the most impact on sorcerer class in skill calculation and less so for archer or paladin for example. Vice et versa for bodybuilding: major hitpoint boost for knight, less so for archer and least of all for squishy caster classes. In short you can invest dozens of valuable skillpoints in these skills if you so wish. But the effects will vary, so it is up to the player to decide where to spend points most wisely. I never liked the skill limitations introduced from mm7 forward but hey, maybe that's just me...
Last edited by fr3aksh0w on 22 Oct 2018, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.

Kliff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Kliff » 22 Oct 2018, 13:05

I've been playing on and off for a couple of weeks, as someone who doesn't necessarily know these games like the back of my hand, and I'm honestly enjoying what little I've been able to play. This is quite honestly an amazing mod and I've been singing its praises wherever I go lately.

I'm not sure if it's been fixed in more recent releases, but I've been getting a bug with Enroth peasants, where none of them at all want to talk to me and every single one has all of their reputation wildcards on full display as opposed to the wildcards being replaced by the correct values.

Admittedly, I've been getting the hang of using some of the spells I never used to use for their intended purposes before, too. Thanks to your changes in bounties I've also managed a quick 6k payday from a bounty that I never would have managed at this point in the game - namely, because Juggernauts are endgame enemies in Jadame. By itself it would've been a lost cause at best, let alone being an entire game and a continent away. The fact that it spawned near the shrine of intelligence in Mist, complete with the usual arrow spam, made it simple.

I wouldn't be surprised if you modified the requirement for the Bounty Hunter promotion in Antagarich because of that, though.
Last edited by Kliff on 22 Oct 2018, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Alchemy conundrum

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Oct 2018, 17:35

fr3aksh0w wrote:So black potions cant be mixed anywhere but in antagrich (druid promotions kills it in jadame and apparently lack of trainers kills it in enroth) i would like to suggest dumping the class restrictions of misc skills alltogether and revert to mm6 system for things such as perception and learning etc wherein you need like 50 intellect to progress in mastery (perception could be like 50 luck and 40 reaction or something). My argument for this is that you dont need to be a walking skeleton to go study in chemistry, a bit of brains will do (for example 50 intellect or heck a hundred). The reason I'm suggesting it is, that currently there is nothing technically preventing my party from gaining access to a gm in alchemy, it's just a million miles to walk and dozens of hoops to jump. Ergo a major ulcer pain in the ass. I'd like to enjoy the game with less ulcerations in said ass. Fruit for thought.

In the meantime could someone tell me how to make my lich gm in alchemy via editing or whatever? Much appreciated :)

Edit: Maybe you forgot how some skills worked in mm6 so here's some background information:
Skills like meditation and bodybuilding could be mastered by almost all classes, sure... But their effects were varied. E.g. Meditation would increase mana pool of casting classes but would have the most impact on sorcerer class in skill calculation and less so for archer or paladin for example. Vice et versa for bodybuilding: major hitpoint boost for knight, less so for archer and least of all for squishy caster classes. In short you can invest dozens of valuable skillpoints in these skills if you so wish. But the effects will vary, so it is up to the player to decide where to spend points most wisely. I never liked the skill limitations introduced from mm7 forward but hey, maybe that's just me...
At the point that you can GM you should be able to hop across continents. There are also several secret pathways between the continents which do not need the Dimension Door spell. I'm all up for adding teachers in Enroth (and learning the skill in the herb shops), but against reverting to the older system. But if you want to gain GM skills easily, you can always follow Dominatorek1 and cheat it. Skill limitations are there for a reason. Like ... druids in MM6 are way too OP due to not have limited levels of skills.
Kliff wrote:I
I'm not sure if it's been fixed in more recent releases, but I've been getting a bug with Enroth peasants, where none of them at all want to talk to me and every single one has all of their reputation wildcards on full display as opposed to the wildcards being replaced by the correct values.
Added to the bug tracker.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Oct 2018, 18:35

<Mod's Thoughts> "Let assume that there is one moderator, who was forced to pay attention to this thread just recently, because of a really minuscule trifle and don't wish to any longer. Can you simply stop poking each other and be cool by being nice to each other? Templayer you are older, it's up to you to start and hold the line."</Mod's Thoughts>

PS Rodril check your PM.
Last edited by Pol on 22 Oct 2018, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 23 Oct 2018, 05:40

Pol wrote:<Mod's Thoughts> "Let assume that there is one moderator, who was forced to pay attention to this thread just recently, because of a really minuscule trifle and don't wish to any longer. Can you simply stop poking each other and be cool by being nice to each other? Templayer you are older, it's up to you to start and hold the line."</Mod's Thoughts>

PS Rodril check your PM.
well, on the contrary it was very quiet and civilized here, many people providing help to this project.
i guess you are refering to that one person that cried out for cheats and reported some other because of not giving any (because there are none ...)
imho, that matter was handled very well by the asked community - sadly it often takes only one grain of salt to make the soup taste bad.
Last edited by justl on 23 Oct 2018, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 23 Oct 2018, 06:42

The Unicorn King isn't respawning every June 24th now. He used to, which made it possible to get multiple Foulfangs (best wep for Vampires) over time.
The Arena is also spawning some unusually weak creatures at Lord rank. I'm going in with just 2 characters, my main and a Monk hireling, both Lvl 190+, and yet i'm getting Cactus, Lizardmen Sergeants and Dark Elven Warriors along with the Crystal Walkers and Ruby Dragons. I used to farm exp in the Lord Arena (about 1 level every solo trip), but with it spawning low level enemies as well, it's a bit harder to farm exp that way now. Even a 5 member party with an average of Lvl 183 is getting a lot of Cacti in there.
Last edited by Daedros on 23 Oct 2018, 07:13, edited 4 times in total.

fr3aksh0w
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Alchemy conundrum

Unread postby fr3aksh0w » 23 Oct 2018, 07:12

Templayer wrote: At the point that you can GM you should be able to hop across continents. There are also several secret pathways between the continents which do not need the Dimension Door spell. I'm all up for adding teachers in Enroth (and learning the skill in the herb shops), but against reverting to the older system. But if you want to gain GM skills easily, you can always follow Dominatorek1 and cheat it. Skill limitations are there for a reason. Like ... druids in MM6 are way too OP due to not have limited levels of skills.
That is precisely my point actually.... I can jump and do all the stuff yada yada yada....
The argument is if I can anyway then why make someone jump through all those hoops? GM alchemy only useful for black attribute potions. By the time you do the deed you probably can loot and buy all the black potions you ever need at which point GM alchemy becomes useless. Cost/Benefit wise I'm not seeing why anyone should bother beyond master alchemy then. It's just nice to have. Also druids OP in mm6 i would disagree. A sorcerer casting dark magic at skill level 16 at same level as druid who can cast maybe fire or air at skill 12-13 doesn't really compare in late game. It's just the specific usefulness of these classes varies. They all have their roles to play. Let the player decide who will take stage in their drama.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 23 Oct 2018, 09:26

I'm loving these new item additions and tweaks that are getting added to the games. Such great work again! :)

A couple of things I've noticed:
- With one of these patches, my party's Fame went to 0 and isn't coming up by killing monsters or completing quests.
- Temples of Baa on Enroth are supposed to lower your reputation when you use their services or donate there. Now they work like regular temples but are much cheaper, so no reason not to use them.
- S'ton's dialogue keeps popping up every time I reload Dagger Wound, sometimes when I exit buildings too. This did exist in the original MM8 too, but is there any way to disable it?

And a couple of suggestions:
- Maybe Peasants shouldn't get experience upon their first promotion? Picking Peasants and immediately promoting them seems like an easy, cheesy way of getting a couple of levels at the beginning of the game with no effort.
- Sometimes I'm getting random hirelings with way more experience than my characters, especially at the beginning. Would it make sense to cap their experience so they won't be a higher level than the party?
Last edited by Phobos on 23 Oct 2018, 10:31, edited 2 times in total.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 23 Oct 2018, 13:34

Well, i got the telelocator. And what i should do next? Telelocator don't want to search anything. Is this the end?

Kliff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kliff » 23 Oct 2018, 14:40

I just met Verdant and it seems she isn't showing up in my followers list - is she supposed to be with your followers? Should I consider this a bug or do I need to find her again or what?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 23 Oct 2018, 14:52

Kliff wrote:I just met Verdant and it seems she isn't showing up in my followers list - is she supposed to be with your followers? Should I consider this a bug or do I need to find her again or what?
She's not a follower. You'll meet again when the time comes.
Last edited by Phobos on 23 Oct 2018, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.

Kliff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kliff » 23 Oct 2018, 15:20

Phobos wrote:She's not a follower. You'll meet again when the time comes.
Good to know I'm not missing out then.

I've noticed Enroth feels both like an easier and deadlier start with this mod compared to Mandate of Heaven itself - access to Hour of Power from temple donations makes things a bit easier, but no access to Energy Potions and the Journeyman Mages having Ice Blast instead of something a little easier to deal with like Poison Spray, making it a little difficult to clear the map without constant trips to the temple or dying multiple times. Still, immediate HoP access is a big help early on, even if it's not as huge as Day of the Gods is on Emerald Isle.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Oct 2018, 16:52

Phobos wrote: - With one of these patches, my party's Fame went to 0 and isn't coming up by killing monsters or completing quests.
- Temples of Baa on Enroth are supposed to lower your reputation when you use their services or donate there. Now they work like regular temples but are much cheaper, so no reason not to use them.
- S'ton's dialogue keeps popping up every time I reload Dagger Wound, sometimes when I exit buildings too. This did exist in the original MM8 too, but is there any way to disable it?
Added to the bug tracker.

@Rodril
The bug tracker is quite full (several pages of reports), should I delete some of them? Were some of them fixed?

Code: Select all

Reported by Strobe: 
- Heroic Sword (Two-Handed) right hand texture is buggy (which doesn't hold the sword)
- Hirelings don't take gold/percentage
- Travel with Stable to Tularean Forest is a bit too rare (it seemed more often in vanilla game imo)
- No wind and gate master hirelings (or maybe very-very rare)
- Citizens are not changing randomly through reloading the saved game, or travel (spending some time)
- Racial bonuses seem to be uncompleted
- About Arcomage deck: the player shouldn't get a deck before the mm7 quest, or as an alternative, it could be buyable in some inn's in all over the 3 continent
- Starting kit should be more randomized imo
- More accurate descriptions, mentioning all the classes in the stats (it only has the mm8 classes, bit confusing)
- Hirelings are too cheap to hire (all of them were only 200 gold, but im sure its just a placeholder value)

Reported by Mommyiamnotacow:
I play Merge with challenge "dead is dead" when i dismiss killed party members. And at some point (treveling to next mm part) i got a bug, 80% peasants have broken inventory. Thay dont have base loot, and the main problem they cant handl the items. With empty inventiry the character says "inventory is full". How can i fix this? Is there a console script to generate hired peasant to test?
(I have a game with 30.09 update. The game was fully reinstalled with first start script compilied, not just patched.)

Reported by dominatorek1:
I got bsod video scheduel internal error by playing mm8 and i cant still fix it i have up to date graphics card
everything is installed i dont know how to fix.
(editor's note and response: this sounds way more like a driver / card malfunction error, than a game error.
If you have another graphics card (I always have a backup, for the past 10 years, it seems), try switching it, if it continues, it wasn't the problem, if not, either there is something wrong with the driver, or the card itself is screwed. Also could very well be a RAM problem (especially if your graphics card doesn't have its own RAM, using system RAM instead). It could be anything at this point, try googling up the BSOD error and CHECK PC events (Control panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer, find the time the BSOD occured to see what was happening at that point))

Reported by fortego:
I get the list of all thirteen taverns, won everywhere (I excluded the tavern from the the list after i won), but can't finish the quest. (MM7)

Reported by Phobos:
The rings in characters' starting items used to have quite a high chance of giving random bonuses to attributes ranging from 1 to 5. I haven't seen those bonuses in the merge.

Reported by: Vetrinus » Oct 14 2018, 23:16
Found this funny little thing that happens now:
Instead of the usual "You feel a high magical presence" message that appears at the intercontinental teleportation points, I am now getting "This is an unregistered copy of Might and Magic VIII. Please" :P

reported by: fr3aksh0w » Oct 16 2018, 8:56
I'm dying to try out the merge but I can't seem to launch the game. I get the debug console with following information: ...estroyer\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable "TakeItemFromParty" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'error'
    Scripts/Core/RSNoGlobals.lua:602: in function 'dofile'
    Scripts\Core\main.lua:484: in main chunk
arguments of 'dofile':
    fname = "C:\\GOG Games\\Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua"
local variables of 'dofile':
    f = nil
    err = "...estroyer\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable \"TakeItemFromParty\" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration"
upvalues of 'dofile':
    loadfile = (function: 0x003d56d0)
    error = (function: builtin#19)
I know nothing of code, so I'm lost :/

reported by: Yaknchuk » Oct 18 2018, 14:38
Alchemy doesn’t exist in Enroth and the Potion Settings.txt “Required mastery” makes it impossible to create anything other than basic potions on Enroth. Alchemy is also attainable as a skill on Enroth and should be removed as there are no alchemy trainers on Enroth. But…without getting the alchemy skill you cannot mix potions at all.
Cauldrons in Enroth Temple of Baa in Castle Ironfist sometimes fail to give the +2 bonus to resistance and all cauldrons that give resistance to fire seem to fail in giving the +2 bonus.
Enroth, Bounty hunts can spawn in New Sorpigal while party is at level 1 and checks the bounty hunting quest. This really sucks when it turns out to be a very high level creature and you no longer have access to town. Don’t ever recall checking the bounty and having it spawned in town when you leave the building, But I like the idea of the bounty spawning somewhere on the map you are in.
Enroth, Teacher auto notes does not show anything. Guessing that the info just needs to be added to the “Teacher autonotes.txt” file.
Enroth, History tab shows Day of the Destroyer(Jadame) story line.

reported by: Xfing » Oct 19 2018, 22:28
The Smuggler's Cove is always hostile after respawning, even after you ally with the Wererats
Ogres from MM8 scale up way too fast in terms of hp. Ogre Brawlers in my game have over 2000 hp now (party's close to level 200), while normally they have 67, while most monsters initially more powerful haven't scaled up this drastically. I believe a more reasonable scaling is called for when it comes to Ogres.

reported by: Kliff » Oct 22 2018, 13:05
@All
It's been a wonderful time here with all the fans and the several geniuses behind this project (Rodril, GrayFace, the guys who repainted the characters,...),
but following the recent experience (we all know what, it's like a page back) and PMs between me and Pol the admin after my previous post here was deleted for being offtopic,
I will limit my activities to tracker maintaince only, and go through the posts once per week (probably at weekends).
I would like to thank most of the people here that have reminded me of my childhood, and for the debates we have lead here,
suggesting features for the best mod ever devised on the face of the internet. (I might be a bit biased though :D )
It's been a great time, and even though I have spent a lot of time here (I've read EVERY SINGLE POST IN THIS THREAD! :)),
I'm happy that I did. I hope this won't get deleted for being offtopic too. If anybody wants to be in contact with me for non-tracker reasons, please contact me via PM. Farewell.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 24 Oct 2018, 06:09

Just found the Scholar's Cap on the floor of Escaton's Palace. It's supposed to give +15 Learning Skill and -50 Endurance, but neither of those is working. It also doesn't have a paperdoll graphic when equipped. Would love to use that on the Monk hireling that i'm leveling right now, for that'd be +75% Exp due to her GM Learning, but it's not working :(
Speaking of my Monk hireling, she doesn't seem to be Evading attacks anymore. She has 38 GM (+22 from gear, so 60 skill) Unarmed, yet is no longer Evading attacks with a Bone Staff equipped (26 GM Staff skill), when she used to. Oddly enough, she can evade the attacks of Dark Dwarves, but not the attack of Hydras or Crystal Walkers, even though their attacks are melee based.

With all the extra Artifacts and stuff we get with this merge, it'd be great to get a lot more safe storage. For example, after beating Verdant's entire questline, we'd get a buttload of non-respawning storage chests inside of The Breach. It's real annoying having to store spare gear, reagents and spell books on hirelings in the Adventurer's Inn. Would be nice to put an Adventurer's Inn inside the Breach as well, for easily swapping in/out hirelings to equip them with anything we store in those chests.
Last edited by Daedros on 24 Oct 2018, 09:04, edited 7 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Oct 2018, 11:19

Daedros wrote:
With all the extra Artifacts and stuff we get with this merge, it'd be great to get a lot more safe storage. For example, after beating Verdant's entire questline, we'd get a buttload of non-respawning storage chests inside of The Breach. It's real annoying having to store spare gear, reagents and spell books on hirelings in the Adventurer's Inn. Would be nice to put an Adventurer's Inn inside the Breach as well, for easily swapping in/out hirelings to equip them with anything we store in those chests.
There's still Castle Harmondale and the Merchant House of Alvar (the respawn bug of which has been fixed).

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 24 Oct 2018, 11:58

Maslyonok wrote:Well, i got the telelocator. And what i should do next? Telelocator don't want to search anything. Is this the end?
Anybody here? Help, please!

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 24 Oct 2018, 20:26

Xfing wrote:
Daedros wrote:
There's still Castle Harmondale and the Merchant House of Alvar (the respawn bug of which has been fixed).
Yeah, i've used those, but they don't offer enough storage. Storing reagents, spell books (i like to fill out the spellbook of every hireling in the Inn as much as possible), extra Artifacts, and quest items takes a lot of space. Plus, the Breach already has a bunch of empty area on the upper floor (the paintings room) that would be excellent for storage chests/cabinets.

My Reputation/Fame has completely wiped as well.
Last edited by Daedros on 25 Oct 2018, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 26 Oct 2018, 00:00

My Dad's been playing this merge and he's written down a couple of bugs that I'll post on here for him:

- Some artifacts/relics simply don't work as intended or have a graphics error. For example, Seven League Boots, Odin, Twilight, Atlas, Pendragon, Hermes' Sandals, etc. I'll try to get a more comprehensive list later on this if you need, Rodril.

Also, the second monk promotion quest in Antagrich (Given by Barty Hume in Harmondale -- tells you to slay the High Priest of Baa and return to him) doesn't work. My Dad killed the High Priest of Baa, looted him, and tries to turn in the quest, to which Hume says he still needs to slay the High Priest of Baa. The quest still shows up in his 'Quests' journal too.

Also, @Templayer, @Grayface, and others, I've noticed what you've been doing here to contribute to this merge, and I appreciate you taking the time to help the community out with that bug tracker and repainted items, respectively. Thanks!

Also, the reputation system is out of control. It definitely isn't working as intended. Sometimes my Dad has a status of "-10 Friendly" and then later on, a reputation of "38 Hated". I think I heard him say he read some posts where the reputation system should be thrown out, but I disagree. The reputation system helps -- The more reputable you are, the effects given to you when you donate at temples improve, as well as lower shop prices.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 26 Oct 2018, 09:04

Anubis wrote:Also, the reputation system is out of control. It definitely isn't working as intended. Sometimes my Dad has a status of "-10 Friendly" and then later on, a reputation of "38 Hated". I think I heard him say he read some posts where the reputation system should be thrown out, but I disagree. The reputation system helps -- The more reputable you are, the effects given to you when you donate at temples improve, as well as lower shop prices.
Yeah, the reputation system has definitely become bugged recently within the last couple updates. When it was working right, it was great. With my Reputation of 30+ in The Pit, i was getting pretty hefty discounts when training levels there, which is quite a bit of gold saved when you're Lvl 100+. Now though, both my Reputation and Fame have wiped to 0. Fame used to be gained mostly by killing stuff, but not anymore.
Donating at a Temple caps out at +5 Reputation. After that, completing quests in that area is supposed to raise Reputation. I think using the services of a Church of Baa is supposed to lower Reputation.
Last edited by Daedros on 26 Oct 2018, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Oct 2018, 10:35

Anubis wrote:My Dad's been playing this merge and he's written down a couple of bugs that I'll post on here for him:

- Some artifacts/relics simply don't work as intended or have a graphics error. For example, Seven League Boots, Odin, Twilight, Atlas, Pendragon, Hermes' Sandals, etc. I'll try to get a more comprehensive list later on this if you need, Rodril.
To be fair, the artifacts that don't have their sprites repainted yet shouldn't even be appearing in the artifact pool, at least that's the intention. The ones that should indeed appear but don't work are another story though.

Return to “Might and Magic”