Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Oct 2018, 14:10

Xfing wrote:Well, setting all spellcasting races to have expert in meditation ignores the fact that Vampires don't get meditation at all for some reason! Maybe as a balancing feature compared to MM7's paladins...

Anyway, in the past I suggested to hit some classes with the nerfhammer, like Clerics were in MM8, cutting their repair item and merchant skills by one mastery level. Knights in MM8 still have leather up to Master for example, while in 8 they were down to expert - serviceable enough, but not to the point of specialization.

Speaking of repair - if I'm not mistaken, all top-tier items require 30 points in Repair to fix. That means a Master in repairing items with a level of 10 will be able to fix anything, rendering the GM skill useless. It's more of a fun-factor change, but I'd suggest raising the point requirement of the top quality items to 50, so that having a GM of repair item in the party is actually worthwhile and needed (otherwise you'd need a level 17 Master!). You could then rebalance downwards from there. What do you think?
Well, let's make a rebalance mod for Rodril's mod. I have a lot on my mind with the racial skills that we are now able to do.
But please, do make the MM6 base leather armor the crappiest. Rodril didn't do a thorough check, he only glanced over it (he has said so), so you cannot expect him to command judgement.
THE MM6 LEATHER ARMOR IS JUST A BUNCH OF RAGS.

Or I could make a subsection to the Task Tracker as "CLASS REBALANCE STANDALONE TRACKER" and we can cooperate on that. I'll start making a table there.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 08 Oct 2018, 14:19

Well, it could be rags, it could be very thin leather. I think it just boils down to artistic direction of the games. But sure, the MM6 leather could be the crappiest I guess, with a proper modification of the flavor text it would fly for sure. MM7's looks plain and poorly made, but at least it looks thick and robust in comparison, I'll agree with that.

Also, I'd rather stick to helping out with the vanilla merge. My own mod suggestions for it were pretty rudimentary anyway, nothing beyond bringing the MM7 classes down to their MM8 balance values (in addition to those mentioned earlier, removing Id Item and Id Monster for Clerics for example, etc), adding Unarmed and Dodging to MM8 classes who logically shouldn't be barred from learning those etc.
Last edited by Xfing on 08 Oct 2018, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Oct 2018, 14:53

Templayer wrote: Or I could make a subsection to the Task Tracker as "CLASS REBALANCE STANDALONE TRACKER" and we can cooperate on that. I'll start making a table there.
So there is now a table for racial skills on the tracker. With a lot of comments. And I mean a lot. If anybody wishes to argue with me, please read the comments there first. There are reasons for stuff.

theseraph1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby theseraph1 » 08 Oct 2018, 15:59

haven't had a chance to play it a whole lot yet (being an adult sucks.. damn commitments), but I do have a question for Rodril or anyone else willing to answer..

what about Spells that were in 6 & 7, but not 8? any plans to port over/recreate them (if they haven't been already :P )? Such as Ring of Fire, or Golden Touch?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Oct 2018, 16:44

theseraph1 wrote:haven't had a chance to play it a whole lot yet (being an adult sucks.. damn commitments), but I do have a question for Rodril or anyone else willing to answer..
what about Spells that were in 6 & 7, but not 8? any plans to port over/recreate them (if they haven't been already :P )? Such as Ring of Fire, or Golden Touch?
Yep, same here - I've started a 100% run of MM6 in 2012. I'm halfway there currently. :D
I'm sick this week though, so I have decided to give a bit more time to MM community, doing the base tracker and such.

Also I totally forgot about those spells. They would have to be repainted by someone skilled (because MM8 spellbook graphics look AMAZING!). If you get me a list of spells that are missing, I will add them to the PAINT TRACKER. Implementing them, that will be a whole another thing. I do not know if they have been dummied out completely, or only partially and working code is still available for execution. GrayFace is the god for that, especially if it isn't.

Anyway, added to the FEATURES YET TO BE IMPLEMENTED section of the tracker, for now.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 08 Oct 2018, 16:48

theseraph1 wrote:haven't had a chance to play it a whole lot yet (being an adult sucks.. damn commitments), but I do have a question for Rodril or anyone else willing to answer..

Good question. I don't think Rodril has thought much about it, but still, bringing back ALL the spells would probably defeat the purpose, as the low level spells in MM6 are entirely useless. In MM7 and 8 all spells are much more scalable, even Fire Bolt can be useful late in the game (though not necessarily with scaled monsters, lol). With Grandmaster in Merchant there would not be much use for Golden Touch, Dark Containment was replaced by a more reliable and cheaper Dark Grasp, and Ring of Fire got a timed, repeating variant in Immolation. All in all, the MM7/8 magic system is much superior to that from 6, which is a spiritual throwback to the DOS-era games. So MM6 spells, I believe, are one thing that we can leave out.

It'd be quite nice to have a working Sacrifice spell though, even if only in the form of scrolls.
Last edited by Xfing on 08 Oct 2018, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Oct 2018, 17:25

Xfing wrote:

Good question. I don't think Rodril has thought much about it, but still, bringing back ALL the spells would probably defeat the purpose, as the low level spells in MM6 are entirely useless. In MM7 and 8 all spells are much more scalable, even Fire Bolt can be useful late in the game (though not necessarily with scaled monsters, lol). With Grandmaster in Merchant there would not be much use for Golden Touch, Dark Containment was replaced by a more reliable and cheaper Dark Grasp, and Ring of Fire got a timed, repeating variant in Immolation. All in all, the MM7/8 magic system is much superior to that from 6, which is a spiritual throwback to the DOS-era games. So MM6 spells, I believe, are one thing that we can leave out.

It'd be quite nice to have a working Sacrifice spell though, even if only in the form of scrolls.
I do not agree. Them not being scalable? Remember, we can MAKE them more balanced and better. And this is a merge. Let's merge the spells as well.
"With Grandmaster in Merchant there would not be much use for Golden Touch" - And what if you do not have a person that can have GM Merchant? Have you seen what insane parties people have been doing over the years? Transmute to gold has been my most used spell in Dungeon Siege 1! There are party assemblies and situations in MM8 in which Golden Touch can come in handy. (especially in the merge where you can go in the massive dungeons of MM6!)
And the Ring of Fire is a spell that I have used a lot. To glitch-attack enemies over walls and through doors. That however doesn't seem like a proper use for the Merge, though. :D :D

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 08 Oct 2018, 18:43

The point is, in MM8 all spells are thought out, and due to their relatively limited number, each has a role. It's an elegant system. There's always at least a normal, expert and master attack spell for every single school. Even if you rebalanced spells like Magic Arrow, there really is neither a need, nor room for even more scalable spells (and non-scalable ones are useless clutter). With very minor exceptions, MM7/8 spells can do everything MM6 ones can, but better.

Also, no offense but I've noticed that your disposition is a little bit too assertive, even coming across as domineering. Almost feels like you're hi-jacking this merge. I was able to get a few ideas in by being polite and non-pushy, so keep in mind that at the end of the day it's all up to Rodril.

dominatorek1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dominatorek1 » 08 Oct 2018, 18:58

Hey guys can u give me a full list of cheats codes i need to try them all pls guys.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Oct 2018, 19:00

Xfing wrote:The point is, in MM8 all spells are thought out, and due to their relatively limited number, each has a role. It's an elegant system. There's always at least a normal, expert and master attack spell for every single school. Even if you rebalanced spells like Magic Arrow, there really is neither a need, nor room for even more scalable spells (and non-scalable ones are useless clutter). With very minor exceptions, MM7/8 spells can do everything MM6 ones can, but better.

Also, no offense but I've noticed that your disposition is a little bit too assertive, even coming across as domineering. Almost feels like you're hi-jacking this merge. I was able to get a few ideas in by being polite and non-pushy, so keep in mind that at the end of the day it's all up to Rodril.
But I'm putting smilies there in order not to seem mean. :(

Hijacking the merge? Look at the section with suggestions, including my suggestions in the tracker. Each suggestion has the "Status: Not yet accepted by mod author" there.
It is Rodril's decision if he wants to merge the spell pool or not. He doesn't even use my tracker as far as I know.
Also another reason why "hijacking the merge" seems so absurd to me is that RODRIL is the one coding it. I have no way of hijacking that! :tsup:

It is just for example that some bugs have been reported quite a few times until resolved, and there have been people asking for a paint tracker, essentially, so I decided to try to help as much as I could. :S

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Oct 2018, 19:04

dominatorek1 wrote:Hey guys can u give me a full list of cheats codes i need to try them all pls guys.
Well, this isn't the usual game with cheat codes. Here, the console actually accepts coding blocks. So "trying them all" doesn't really apply here.

You want to set the EXP for the entire party to get max level? You can insert a block of code that will do it.
You should be able to do pretty much anything you want as far as cheating goes.
But there is no "all", because there is pretty much a limitless number of possibilities with the console!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Oct 2018, 22:19

Xfing wrote:Anyway, in the past I suggested to hit some classes with the nerfhammer, like Clerics were in MM8, cutting their repair item and merchant skills by one mastery level. Knights in MM8 still have leather up to Master for example, while in 8 they were down to expert - serviceable enough, but not to the point of specialization.
All of these skills are useless anyway.
Xfing wrote: Speaking of repair - if I'm not mistaken, all top-tier items require 30 points in Repair to fix. That means a Master in repairing items with a level of 10 will be able to fix anything, rendering the GM skill useless. It's more of a fun-factor change, but I'd suggest raising the point requirement of the top quality items to 50, so that having a GM of repair item in the party is actually worthwhile and needed (otherwise you'd need a level 17 Master!). You could then rebalance downwards from there. What do you think?
Why 50, not 40? Repair Item is pretty useless due to Harden Item potions, so I don't know.
Identify Item indeed is very easy to get to 100%, only need Expert + a ring that's usually easy to find.
Disarm Trap on the other hand felt too rough to me. No matter how good the +Disarm item I got, Expert level was never enough.
Last edited by GrayFace on 08 Oct 2018, 22:25, edited 3 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Nitromag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nitromag » 09 Oct 2018, 10:19

I do not know English. I use a translator. Thank you so much for the work done. After installing the update from 10/08/18, the debug console appears at the entrance to the game.
Its content is:
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua:606: array index (2267) out of bounds [1, 2265]
  • stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'error'
    Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
    e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua:606: in function 'ProcessNPCProf'
    e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua:720: in function 'v'
    Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of '__index':
    t = (table: 0x053b92a0)
    a = 2267
    v = nil

local variables of '__index':
    aorig = 2267
    a1 = 2266
    n = 2265

upvalues of '__index':
    ptr = nil
    u4 = (table: 0x042cd8b0)
    GetPtr = (function: 0x042cffb0)
    obj = (table: 0x04453ac0)
    o = 87223076
    assertnum = (function: 0x042caf48)
    error = (function: 0x04216968)
    type = (function: builtin#3)
    SetLen = nil
    low = 1
    GetLen = (function: 0x04507570)
    lenP = nil
    lenA = nil
    count = 2265
    size = 8
    _index = nil
    _newindex = nil
    tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
    beyondLen = nil
    f = (function: 0x042939b0)
    format = (function: builtin#91)
    sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
    tostring = (function: builtin#18)
    tostring2 = (function: 0x042cafb0)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the game itself, before talking to the NPC, the debug console also pops up:
    e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua:606: array index (2267) out of bounds [1, 2265]

stack traceback:
    e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua:606: in function 'ProcessNPCProf'

arguments of '__index':
    a = 2267
    v = nil

aorig = 2267
    a1 = 2266
    n = 2265

upvalues of '__index':
    ptr = nil
    o = 87223076
    SetLen = nil
    low = 1
    lenP = nil
    lenA = nil
    count = 2265
    size = 8
    _index = nil
    _newindex = nil
    beyondLen = nil
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua:468: attempt to index field 'NPCProf' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua: in function 'SetHireTopic'
e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCNewsTopics.lua:372: in function 'v'

arguments of 'SetHireTopic':
(*temporary) = 397

local variables of 'SetHireTopic':
(*temporary) = (table: 0x11e94fd0)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 8.3306515456026e-288
(*temporary) = 1.9101423163555e-312
(*temporary) = "attempt to index field 'NPCProf' (a nil value)"

upvalues of 'SetHireTopic':
ClearEvents = (function: 0x047455c0)
FindFreeEvent = (function: 0x04775e68)
NPCInGroup = (function: 0x04757dd0)

Also after pressing the exit button:

stack traceback:

arguments of '__index':
a = 2267
v = nil

aorig = 2267
a1 = 2266
n = 2265

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
o = 87223076
SetLen = nil
low = 1
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
count = 2265
size = 8
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
beyondLen = nil
e:\games\MM678\Scripts\General\NPCFollowers.lua:468: attempt to index field 'NPCProf' (a nil value)

stack traceback:

(*temporary) = 397

(*temporary) = (table: 0x11e94fd0)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil

...es\MM678\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:365: table index is nil

stack traceback:
...es\MM678\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua: in function 'v'

arguments of 'v':
(*temporary) = 397

local variables of 'v':
(*temporary) = (table: 0x0f0d46d0)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = true
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "table index is nil"

upvalues of 'v':
CurrentBranch = ""
BackupTopics = (table: 0x11df3450)
BackupNPC = (table: 0x11df3478)
CurrentNPC = nil

stack traceback:

(*temporary) = 407

(*temporary) = (table: 0x11c45cf0)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil

...es\MM678\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:365: table index is nil

stack traceback:
...es\MM678\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua: in function 'v'

arguments of 'v':
(*temporary) = 407

local variables of 'v':
(*temporary) = (table: 0x0f0d46d0)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = true
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "table index is nil"

upvalues of 'v':
CurrentBranch = ""
BackupTopics = (table: 0x0efb08c0)
BackupNPC = (table: 0x0efb08e8)
CurrentNPC = nil

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 09 Oct 2018, 10:41

GrayFace wrote: useless
First of all, not everyone plays optimally, so having multiple skills to rely on to achieve the same objective is actually desirable. Second - would you really call merchant and leather armor useless? With enough investment, leather can outstrip plate, and GM merchant forever solves any monetary problems you might have - and when training past level 200 those are bound to start appearing. Also, it FEELS good to have. Not every player of a cRPG looks at things in purely utilitarian terms.
Why 50, not 40?
You might be right. 40 already requires Master 14, which is double the amount of skill points of master 7. GM should be a big deal, and it isn't - that's the problem right now.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 09 Oct 2018, 12:08

@Nitromag
Make sure you've updated localization files too. Links in the first post:

German: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/takm1tpdq5ur ... DX3va?dl=0
Polish: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/579jr8x0gk6b ... WQQDa?dl=0
Russian: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pqnrlq4h6gso ... MXo6a?dl=0

Spanish localization have not been fixed yet, - NPCText.txt table shorter than it should be at the moment.

I've checked racial skills suggestions in the tracker. I think none of races should be able to grandmaster anything, just because their race. Only if they are focus studying their natural abilities they should be, otherwise race-based classes (dragon, minotaur, dark elf) do not have sense at all.
Last edited by Rodril on 09 Oct 2018, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

Nitromag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nitromag » 09 Oct 2018, 12:13

Rodril wrote:@Nitromag
Make sure you've updated localization files too. Links in the first post:

German: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/takm1tpdq5ur ... DX3va?dl=0
Polish: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/579jr8x0gk6b ... WQQDa?dl=0
Russian: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pqnrlq4h6gso ... MXo6a?dl=0

Spanish localization have not been fixed yet, - NPCText.txt table shorter than it should be at the moment.
Thank you - it helped :tsup:

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 09 Oct 2018, 12:44

Rodril wrote:
kristal wrote:How to add a new race? I changed the files Class Starting Stats.txt and Character selection.txt, but it is not working.
Make sure you've edited "Character portraits.txt" and assigned new race index to at least one paperdoll. And section "Available race" in "Character selection.txt" is filled up with index of new race.

@Grayface
There's table "NPCGroup" in "Game" structure. At the moment NPCGroup's item size declared as 4 bytes ("00 structs.lua", line 227), I think it should be 2 bytes, this table contains index of current news of npc group.
It's not working. "Character portraits.txt" in the "Race" column wrote 9. "Character selection.txt" in the "Available race" line wrote 9 and a new "Gin" line (after Goblin). In "Class Starting Stats.txt" new column "Gin (9)".
Can Dragon to prescribe in character creation?
Last edited by kristal on 09 Oct 2018, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 09 Oct 2018, 13:32

Rodril wrote: I've checked racial skills suggestions in the tracker. I think none of races should be able to grandmaster anything, just because their race. Only if they are focus studying their natural abilities they should be, otherwise race-based classes (dragon, minotaur, dark elf) do not have sense at all.
Well, since you cannot get a racial promotion... (I wish it was possible though. If a Patriach quest is done with the petrified gal, promote both Dark Elf class and Dark Elf race to Patriarch (or Matriarch if female...))
... if it was possible to get a racial promotion, then it would be M normally and GM with the racial promotion.

"otherwise race-based classes (dragon, minotaur, dark elf) do not have sense at all." - Let's take a look at the racial classes in detail, then:
Dark Elf - utility-wise the most over-skilled class in the trilogy. I have debated this with GrayFace previously. It's like two and a half classes of MM7 mashed together.
Minotaur - a crappier paladin.
Dragon - the legendary broken class. OP as <self-censorship>.
Troll - just plainly sucks. A melee fighter without magic with Leather max.

They don't really make much of a sense as they currently are, so ...
... I'm sorry, Rodril. :tired: :disagree: :S
Last edited by Templayer on 09 Oct 2018, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 09 Oct 2018, 13:46

Minotaurs are more like knights than like paladins, they have master in armsmaster. Trolls are like knights also, but trading some firepower for some more endurance.

Oh, that's why I called for nerfing GM Bodybuilding on Knights, like it was done in MM8. I believe the MM7 value of GM has been carried over, and this one thing kinda makes Trolls redundant. All the MM8 skill nerfs were called for.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 09 Oct 2018, 13:51

Templayer wrote:
Rodril wrote: I've checked racial skills suggestions in the tracker. I think none of races should be able to grandmaster anything, just because their race. Only if they are focus studying their natural abilities they should be, otherwise race-based classes (dragon, minotaur, dark elf) do not have sense at all.
Well, since you cannot get a racial promotion... (I wish it was possible though. If a Patriach quest is done with the petrified gal, promote both Dark Elf class and Dark Elf race to Patriarch (or Matriarch if female...))
... if it was possible to get a racial promotion, then it would be M normally and GM with the racial promotion.

"otherwise race-based classes (dragon, minotaur, dark elf) do not have sense at all." - Let's take a look at the racial classes in detail, then:
Dark Elf - utility-wise the most over-skilled class in the trilogy. I have debated this with GrayFace previously. It's like two and a half classes of MM7 mashed together.
Minotaur - a crappier paladin.
Dragon - the legendary broken class. OP as <self-censorship>.
Troll - just plainly sucks. A melee fighter without magic with Leather max.

They don't really make much of a sense as they currently are, so ...
... I'm sorry, Rodril. :tired: :disagree: :S
Since this will be an additional mod to your mod, I see no problem in making two versions - One encouraged by Rodril and one by me. It's just two text files anyway.
And before I read upon somebody telling me that I am hijacking Rodril's mod again - By two versions I mean my additional mod, not Rodril's one.
MMMerge currently has only one racial skill, which is for Minotaurs (Axes)

EDIT: Rodril, I made you a standalone table for the Racial Skills, please tell me what else do you wish to change (or remove).
Last edited by Templayer on 09 Oct 2018, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”