Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Sep 2018, 18:47

I think I might have found those boots too among tier 6 treasure.

Taking a break from playing for now, but I'm following the updates constantly :D

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 07 Sep 2018, 16:20

Hi all

Is there anyone here having the problem of long waiting time after character creation, I can not start any game by the way. Looking for your reply soon.

Best regards

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Sep 2018, 10:16

But what about MM7 zombies? The "Zombie race" to which a character is converted upon being resurrected in an evil alligned town like Deyja? :( :| :S

Also when turning into a Lich you should be able to choose what form of a Lich you want to be - a Skeleton Lich (default), a Zombie Lich (the Zombie "race by a technicality" from MM7) or a Vampire Lich. Just saying. It's just that not everyone wants to become a "Skeleton with a Soul". ;) :tongue: :hug: :tsup: :oex:
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 09 Sep 2018, 20:09

phamlongtuan wrote:Hi all

Is there anyone here having the problem of long waiting time after character creation, I can not start any game by the way. Looking for your reply soon.

Best regards
I know first time running the mod takes 15+ minutes, but I do not know if that is for the start itself or getting actually in-game.

Why don't I know exactly?
It's due to files being generated and whatnot. Haven't actually installed the mod yet, I'm waiting for all the smaller bugs to be squashed.
I've started playing MM6 in 2012 with the intent of doing a 100% run through the game, I'm not even in the half of the game. Then I plan MM7Good and MM7Evil, MM8Hardcore (no dragons, no limitless money due to limitless white potion tree, waiting to LVL5 before hiring non-main characters, not playing as a Dark Elf...), MM6ChaosConspiracy, MM9, then MM1-5 and THEN MMMerge: The World of Enroth. I have finished MM8 with a fully customized group on YT.
Bottomline / tl;dr - 2030+ would be the nearest timeframe for me to play this, so there is no sense for me to get it now. Even though most of the bugs remaining seem to be quite minor bugs.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 10 Sep 2018, 09:20

Templayer wrote:But what about MM7 zombies? The "Zombie race" to which a character is converted upon being resurrected in an evil alligned town like Deyja? :( :| :S

Also when turning into a Lich you should be able to choose what form of a Lich you want to be - a Skeleton Lich (default), a Zombie Lich (the Zombie "race by a technicality" from MM7) or a Vampire Lich. Just saying. It's just that not everyone wants to become a "Skeleton with a Soul". ;) :tongue: :hug: :tsup: :oex:
That's how lichdom works canonically, you'd have to bend the universe's lore to do that :P

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Sep 2018, 13:40

Gotta have Kitten Lich and Pony Lich options too.
Templayer wrote:not playing as a Dark Elf
Because of their Bow skill?
Last edited by GrayFace on 10 Sep 2018, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 10 Sep 2018, 17:32

GrayFace wrote:Gotta have Kitten Lich and Pony Lich options too.
There are no base paperdolls for Kittens and Ponies, yet.
Zombies still need a paperdoll conversion since I believe the guy who did all the paperdoll conversions (except for dwarves) forgot about the zombie "race".
GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:not playing as a Dark Elf
Because of their Bow skill?
Actually no. It's due to their skills. I've played the game (MM8) multiple times and the Dark Elf was a mainstay in most of my runs.
They are basically a combination of an Archer and a Thief, while getting the best of everything they can. Disarm traps. GM bow. GM chainmail. Master arcane magic. Great melee skills. Trading. And a quite few more things to a lesser degree, and some more etc. skills. Also they have a magical "school" dedicated to them.
Skill-wise, it's just way too convenient. Way too much. They are like two and a half member of a party from one of the previous games.
And don't let me start on how broken dragons are, but everyone knows that.

I kept getting (in my LP, recorded on Youtube) a glitch with a dragon where firing upon the enemy locked up and the dragon kept firing his projectile until the enemy was dead, or a shot missed. (thank god that I haven't really found anything that would be immune to his base attack, otherwise that would be a possible soft-lock of the game). I got that glitch a few thousand times. It wasn't very fun. Made me wish for a hardcore run of MM8.

Which I actually started, as a Minotaur. Since you start at lvl 1 and hirelings start at lvl 5, then in the spirit of hardcore (let it be praised!) I had the idea of getting my minotaur to lvl 5 before hiring anyone. And let me tell you - one hit from an axe per ten pirate attacks due to very high recovery time was insane. I basically had to "camp" by the fountain of health while trying to hit a single pirate, until killing quite a few of them! I'll return to it later.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 10 Sep 2018, 19:29

As for Dragons being broken, an easy fix would be simply to make them inflict Fire damage rather than Elementless, and simply have a physical paw attack when attacking in melee range. But that would probably require some deeper tinkering.

BTW I've noticed something interesting and troubling - it is still possible to pick up an unfinishable potion quest after delivering the ingredients, just tested it with Thistle on Dagger Wound Island. What's the point of having to trigger the quest using the uppermost dialogue line, when you can just deliver the ingredients using the bottom dialogue anyway? I think something should be done about this.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 10 Sep 2018, 20:00

Xfing wrote:As for Dragons being broken, an easy fix would be simply to make them inflict Fire damage rather than Elementless, and simply have a physical paw attack when attacking in melee range. But that would probably require some deeper tinkering.
From what I know the dragon's projectile attack is an override to an standard attack, that is why it isn't simply fixable. It was once offered for the attack not to be, thus a dragon actually having an unarmed attack (making unarmed his melee choice).

If I was to solve it in a silly way, I would get rid off the override (as the mod creator offered, if I remember correctly), and then equip an "dragon lesser firebreath" ranged weapon on them on character creation / in-game start, which would have a sprite of one pixel (placed so that it would be behind the character) without the ability to unequip it. Then make "the lesser firebreath" not unlike a bow - normal damage (from the impact) plus fire damage. And modify the projectile graphic from an arrow to the breath weapon projectile. Might even fire twice with grandmaster dragon ability! :D

Then it would be a matter of finding the right way to balance the normal damage, fire damage, and the dragon ability skill with the lesser firebreath weapon.

It would also be quite nice to have not only fire, but other elemental breaths, but for that you would need more than two colors of dragons as paperdoll, so... but I can dream, right? (or change the index hues to make other colours of dragons! :D)
Last edited by Templayer on 10 Sep 2018, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 10 Sep 2018, 20:03

Templayer wrote: If I was to solve it in a silly way, I would get rid off the override (as the mod creator offered, if I remember correctly), and then equip an "dragon lesser firebreath" ranged weapon on them on character creation / in-game start, which would have a sprite of one pixel (placed so that it would be behind the character) without the ability to unequip it. Then make "the lesser firebreath" not unlike a bow - normal damage (from the impact) plus fire damage. And modify the projectile graphic from an arrow to the breath weapon projectile. Might even fire twice with grandmaster dragon ability! :D
Even though it would be hard to repair if it broke, or anything else has happened to it :D

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 10 Sep 2018, 20:12

And of course there are still other things to fix, such as Awards displaying properly (many quests that displayed in the original, separate games now don't). Also, minor stuff:
- Rothnax still gives you powerless red potions as a reward. These are impossible to obtain, since any other potion will have the power of at least 1. His potions should be set to some low but realistic power range.
- Same with the quest for Thistle - I got a black potion with 0 power. Not that it affects its function in any way, but it feels wrong and broken. Oh, it also seemed I actually received TWO potions from him - though after drinking one, the other one disappeared. Could you check this out?
- After entering the Abandoned Temple for the first time and dismissing Simon Templar, the Couatl for some reason were up to 360-1500 hp! I did bypass the temple at first to get Rohani ASAP, but neither of these actions should make the monsters scale up so drastically. Please check! Re-entering and reloading don't work.

So yeah, overall quite a bit of new bugs has snuck into the game recently, some of them potentially game-breaking.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 11 Sep 2018, 06:48

The powerless potions are not a problem introduced by this mod, they appeared like that in MM8 too. But now that you mentioned it, I got a phantom black potion to the inventory from Thistle too. It disappeared after picking up the other one!

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Sep 2018, 10:24

Overall, I've noticed (from comments here and own experiences) that with the introduction of those many new features in the latest patches, some stability issues have been popping up. More than usual at least. Maybe it would be nice to slow down on introducing new features and work a bit on the stability?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 11 Sep 2018, 15:22

Xfing wrote:Overall, I've noticed (from comments here and own experiences) that with the introduction of those many new features in the latest patches, some stability issues have been popping up. More than usual at least. Maybe it would be nice to slow down on introducing new features and work a bit on the stability?
Meh, the mod maker is very diligent about bug squashing. The main thing for him is for us to tell him about the bug.
If he went after bugs himself, it would cost him time. If WE go after the bugs while he develops content, he will be able to fix them in bigger batches.
Overall, as far as time management goes, the more content he makes, the more bugs we shall encounter during our playthroughs in less time. And since he is very diligent (a bug tracker would be nice though), that means more content and more bugs reported (and squashed) in less time.

Also, what stability issues? I have been reading up on broken quest reward potions and such, but those I consider minor bugs. What stability issues? Game crashes? FPS drops?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Sep 2018, 17:19

Templayer wrote: Also, what stability issues? I have been reading up on broken quest reward potions and such, but those I consider minor bugs. What stability issues? Game crashes? FPS drops?
Well, there are game-breaking bugs sometimes (trillions of exp bug for example) and very sporadic fatal errors too :P But yeah, guess I was referring more to the annoying but more minor stuff.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 12 Sep 2018, 17:38

Xfing wrote: Well, there are game-breaking bugs sometimes (trillions of exp bug for example) and very sporadic fatal errors too :P But yeah, guess I was referring more to the annoying but more minor stuff.
Well, yeah, that experience overflow is potentially gamebreaking, but ... you do have unlimited save slots at your disposal. You can always find the most recent game without that experience overflow, and then modify your current save's characters' experience to that of the older save. Or, with some base math, add some experience for the foes that you have killed in the meantime. Still, that has been reported a few times here, so I wish it would be solved.

I don't know the exact way things work, but since that overflow almost surely happens due to the game trying to give your characters a negative integer value, and the variable is unsigned, it overflows to the nearest value from the other side (i.e. biggest). Or something like that. Maybe a simple "if experienceThatIsGoingToBeGivenToParty is less than zero, then change experienceThatIsGoingToBeGivenToParty to zero" - it wouldn't solve the reason why the glitch is happening, but it would negate the consequences by when it happens on giving you 0 XP instead.

Also - what fatal errors? When I have played MM8 (i.e. the version of the engine MMMerge is based upon) last time (from start until the end, trying to 100% the game in everything), I have encountered like two crashes. Also additional crashes when alttabing from the game and back to it, but that is not "fully" the game's fault. And I'm running everything in windowed nowadays. MM6 I have spend about 60+ hours in a single LP, and not a single crash.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 Sep 2018, 09:19

I've created a separate thread for MM8 classes discussion and whatnot: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16817
Templayer wrote: I kept getting (in my LP, recorded on Youtube) a glitch with a dragon where firing upon the enemy locked up and the dragon kept firing his projectile until the enemy was dead, or a shot missed. (thank god that I haven't really found anything that would be immune to his base attack, otherwise that would be a possible soft-lock of the game). I got that glitch a few thousand times. It wasn't very fun. Made me wish for a hardcore run of MM8.
Then show us the video! :yes: (and the timecode). I recall encountering something somewhat similar in a regular playthrough of MM8.
Templayer wrote:Also - what fatal errors? When I have played MM8 (i.e. the version of the engine MMMerge is based upon) last time (from start until the end, trying to 100% the game in everything), I have encountered like two crashes.
That's precisely because you were playing MM8 and not MMMerge. MMMerge is a huge undertaking in a very crash-prone field of modding.
Last edited by GrayFace on 13 Sep 2018, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Sep 2018, 16:19

GrayFace wrote: That's precisely because you were playing MM8 and not MMMerge. MMMerge is a huge undertaking in a very crash-prone field of modding.
I've read the entire thread and I don't remember anyone reporting too many crashes (while in-game that is, ... there have been reports of people crashing at startup etc., but that was usually due to wrong installation and such). I might be mistaken, however.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 Sep 2018, 23:16

I wanted to say that frequency of MM8 crashes is irrelevant to frequency of MMMerge crashes. Misworded it.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 15 Sep 2018, 10:50

Hello, patch link have been updated.
There are some minor fixes: traps in Basement of the Breach won't fire limitless if you can not disarm them; dimension door at Evenmorn island will trigger as soon as party approach guild of water; potion-hunt quests will work in better way now, there's no option to remove quest notes in current savegames without using debug console, but in new games this problem should not appear again (powerless potions have not been fixed yet, black potion of speed - too); not sure if random crashes have been fixed completely, but there are some tweaks to affect them. Thanks.
NPC-hirelings will work in same way as mm6/7 ones, also flag "joins" in NPCData.txt now work as it should, any NPC with this one will be able to join you, even ones without profession. MM6 hirelings with "Joins" flag have been restored, but they'll start to work only in new games and most of their abilities have not been rescripted yet.
Outdoor peasants will work in a more mm6/7 way: most of them will have names and professions, they still will tell news as simple peasants did, special news can be added by filling "News topics - ..." tables in "Data" folder.
I have not been able to reproduce issue with item enchanting in Barrow Downs causing crashes, if you have savegame with those corrupted items, send it to me, please.
Xfing wrote:(trillions of exp bug for example)
Have this one appeared again recently?
phamlongtuan wrote:Is there anyone here having the problem of long waiting time after character creation, I can not start any game by the way. Looking for your reply soon.
New class "Peasant" can cause it if you use old version of any localization, try to reapply it.
kristal wrote:How to edit peasants? For example, I want to translate the text and to hire Lizardmen peasant.
They should be able for hire after this update. To make other peasants, follow steps:
1. Open "Bolster - monsters.txt" table in "Data\Tables" folder. Edit column "Creed" of monsters, which you want to behave like peasants - set "Peasant" word there, fill up "Gender" column with "M" for male and "F" for female. Fill up "Type" column according to their race if you want them to behave as recruits as well.
2. Open "MonPortrairs.txt" table and add indexes of portraits from "Icons.lod" for family of monsters you are changing: 1st index will be used as default, rest will be picked randomly upon peasants generation.
3. Open "Bolster - maps.txt" and set value of "Profs max rarity" to anything more than 0 for maps, where you suppose to see new peasants. Value 0 will prevent peasants generation at all, value 1 at the moment will generate peasants without professions (check "NPC professions.txt" to see connection).
4. (Optional) Fill "News topics - ..." tables for continents/areas where peasants will be spawned, so they won't be speechless.
kristal wrote:How to add a new race? I changed the files Class Starting Stats.txt and Character selection.txt, but it is not working.
Make sure you've edited "Character portraits.txt" and assigned new race index to at least one paperdoll. And section "Available race" in "Character selection.txt" is filled up with index of new race.

@Grayface
There's table "NPCGroup" in "Game" structure. At the moment NPCGroup's item size declared as 4 bytes ("00 structs.lua", line 227), I think it should be 2 bytes, this table contains index of current news of npc group.
Last edited by Rodril on 15 Sep 2018, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”